The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Feels like they had a pretty good idea who those teams were picking.

Exactly.

Either they really don’t care to take WR this early, or he believed the WR he covets would drop.

Pick 33 should garner quite a bit of trade offers.  Maybe Beane trades down again?  If not, I believe he takes DeJean. BPA and fills a need.

DeJean would be awesome. He really would. I'd rather get the WR here and then see if DeJean falls another 5 or 6 spots and then get aggressive with a trade up. Would much rather miss out on the safety/CB than the WR run. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, there are several that would at least compete to start year 1.  And if they wanted to lean on the Vets more and let one of them learn they at least bring much needed depth as we have no one behind those 2 that would be good options if one went down.  

I feel like between rapp and edwards - they should already be considered depth.  Bringing in a Simmons or Jackson is an immediate upgrade.  Hell, i feel like Hyde is better than both of them.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I'm ready to be booed:

Take Cooper DeJean at 33.

Our safety group, while less important than our WRs, is in terrible shape. DeJean would almost for sure start immediately and in a pinch could be kicked back outside to replace Douglas in a year.

I WANT WR more, but with the assets in play I am considerably more confident that Beane can move up to the top of the 2nd and get someone I would have been fine with us taking at 28 (Franklin, McConkey and AD Mitchell all qualify for me)

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I'm looking to trade down if we get a rich offer and package some of our day 3 picks to get a top 120 pick.

I'm also hoping for another trade down from 33, as this pick is usually very coveted.

However, Beane said last night that he had offers to move down into the 40's/50's, but thought it was too far back.. so that kind of limits our trade partners. 

Would love to move back a few spots again and pick up another 4th if possible.. then jump back into RD3 later and get 4 guys tonight. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, stlbills13 said:

DeJean would be awesome. He really would. I'd rather get the WR here and then see if DeJean falls another 5 or 6 spots and then get aggressive with a trade up. Would much rather miss out on the safety/CB than the WR run. 

I want WR myself. Fill a huge need.  

I don’t expect DeJean to be available past 34. If we don’t take him, someone will trade up to 34 and grab him for sure.

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Get AD Mitchell.  He can do things none of our current guys can.  Great hands + elite vs press man which we see every year in the playoffs.  

Bad attitude problems, bad run blocking, and low effort at times on the field. Pass. 

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I didn’t realize that Joe Brady recruited him out of high school. That would make me feel a little better 

He did, but other WRs LSU offered that same year:

• Xavier Worthy
  • Marvin Harrison Jr.
  • Brian Thomas Jr. (committed)
  • Malik Nabers (committed)
  • AD Mitchell
  • as well as like 20 other WRs that didn't come to LSU.

I know Joe Brady was the lead recruiter for Franklin, which isn't necessarily the case for all of these guys, but as the OC, it wouldn't be surprising if he was the lead for all of them and we obviously did not make a move for Harrison, Thomas, or Nabers, and opted to let KC have Worthy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

If I'm the Bills, I'm calling Carolina again.  They dont have a second round pick next year.

Trade 60, our second next year for 39 this year.  

At 33 and 39, you could double on WR or take DeJean and probably end up with one of Mitchell, McConkey or Franklin.

I like this idea. #33, I'd get Coleman first. At #39, I'd have my choice between Franklin or Mitchell. Say what y'all want about Coleman, he's a playmaker. Mitchell/Franklin can be my outside speed guy. 

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like this idea. #33, I'd get Coleman first. At #39, I'd have my choice between Franklin or Mitchell. Say what y'all want about Coleman, he's a playmaker. Mitchell/Franklin can be my outside speed guy. 

Another option would be Washington.  They have 2 seconds, and 3 thirds.  They may not mind dropping back to 60 from 36 or 40, to get a pick for next year.  They then could move back up from 60 by using one of their 3rds.

Every year there seems to be a massive run on WR in the 30s-50s.  I don't think we can wait till 60 to take one.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

You could put a prime Ronnie Lott on the Bills and he would make less difference than a solid #2 WR. Remember, we not only lost Diggs. We also lost Gabe Davis. Beane created a huge hole and now he has to fill it. 

Samuel is the Davis replacement. That was planned from the off.

The Bills receivers by the end of last year were Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield and Harty.

We're currently looking at Samuel, Hollins, Shakir, Shorter and Isabella(?)

Add Diggs to that and Isabella would come off the list.

Add Franklin and McConkey and so would Shorter.

Suddenly the Bills would be in a much better position.

If they can draft one of Franklin or McConkey, and add a veteran (Aiyuk/Sutton) to the mix, then they're in decent shape. But I don't think there is anything Beane could have done differently up to now once the decision was made to move Diggs on.

20 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

If the Bills come out of tonight with Dejean and two of either Franklin/Mitchell/McConkey/Polk/Coleman then you have to just say hats off to Beane. That would be a master class in drafting.  

How exactly is that going to happen?

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm ready to be booed:

Our safety group, while less important than our WRs, is in terrible shape. DeJean would almost for sure start immediately and in a pinch could be kicked back outside to replace Douglas in a year.

I WANT WR more, but with the assets in play I am considerably more confident that Beane can move up to the top of the 2nd and get someone I would have been fine with us taking at 28 (Franklin, McConkey and AD Mitchell all qualify for me)

You draft safetys late, not at #33 when you NEED a WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

You could put a prime Ronnie Lott on the Bills and he would make less difference than a solid #2 WR. Remember, we not only lost Diggs. We also lost Gabe Davis. Beane created a huge hole and now he has to fill it. 

That huge hole accounted for 3 receptions and 21 yards against the Chiefs last January. Where oh where will Beane ever find that.

• Haha (+1) 2

I’m good with AD Mitchell if Beane is. Though doesn’t seem like a process guy from the rumors.

Warming back up to the Troy Franklin idea. I think he’s super explosive and just had a poor combine. Great height and speed. Little light, but that doesn’t mean he can’t play. Bunch of people wanted Worthy and he’s tiny. If we can somehow come out of this with DeJean and Franklin, that would be incredible. 

Edited by Blank Stare

11 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I feel like between rapp and edwards - they should already be considered depth.  Bringing in a Simmons or Jackson is an immediate upgrade.  Hell, i feel like Hyde is better than both of them.  

I actually think there is a solid chance Hyde comes back for one more season once Tre’s money is off the books.  Beane has even alluded to this as has Hyde where it seems to be coming down to Hyde and his medical risks he’s getting opinions on.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

How exactly is that going to happen?

Dejean at 33. Trade up in the 2nd with next year's second, the acquired third and one of the 5th rounders, pick up WR1. 

Pick up WR2 at 60 or with a minor trade up. 

It's definitely doable. 

16 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm ready to be booed:

Some believe that DeJean is a future 4-5x all-pro.  If Beane views him as that I don't see how he could pass on him. Very likely is the BPA at this point as well.

However there are players that fit the bill at 4 positions there right now.

Newton at DT, DeJean at S/CB, McKinstrey at CB and Mitchell at WR.

They could maybe be OK with taking any of those 4 and maybe be willing to move down 3 picks and take whatever one is left or pick from those 4...

Beane has a ton of options right now in this spot.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

Dejean at 33. Trade up in the 2nd with next year's second, the acquired third and one of the 5th rounders, pick up WR1. 

Pick up WR2 at 60 or with a minor trade up. 

It's definitely doable. 

Depends what you can get from feeling out NE - they pick at 34.  But Franklin being one of their top 30 visits (and one of only 2 WRs they brought in) makes me think he will be our pick at 33 if he's the one we want from this group.  

• Like (+1) 1

Do people honestly think the Bills can draft a WR#1 now? At best, from 33? Franklin, McConkey, Mitchell? If they bring any of those in, they'll be #4 at best, behind Samuel, Hollins and Shakir.

If they want a number one from 2024, they need to trade for it. Not draft.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I once listened to an interview with a successful GM - I think it was Ron Wolf.  He said that he considered a draft decent if he got one Pro Bowler out of it and it didn't matter if the guy came from the 4th round and the 1st rounder was a bust.  A really good draft netted him two Pro Bowlers.  That's how he rated his drafts.  

He explained that most players fill roles (i.e., they're JAGS).   To win a SB, you needed players who were difference-makers.  

He said that it's better to get a difference-maker at a position you may not need than a role-player at a position where you do have a need.  

I rarely watch college football and am no talent scout.  But if DeJean is truly a difference-maker when the WRs left are mediocre role-players, then I'm all for the pick. 

Great post. Just becareful no rational thought is allowed on this board. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Depends what you can get from feeling out NE - they pick at 34.  But Franklin being one of their top 30 visits (and one of only 2 WRs they brought in) makes me think he will be our pick at 33 if he's the one we want from this group.  

That might be even more likely. Take the same scenario I laid out but go Franklin/Mitchell/McConkey at 33, trade back in and get McConkey/Polk/Coleman, then go safety at 60.  Probably not DeJean but another top safety is likely there.  

Just now, Big Turk said:

Some believe that DeJean is a future 4-5x all-pro.  If Beane views him as that I don't see how he could pass on him. Very likely is the BPA at this point as well.

But if its at the cost of a guy you want (say troy franklin), is it worth it? Because NE picks right after us, has a big need at boundary WR, and had a top 30 visit with him.  

1 minute ago, stlbills13 said:

What would you be willing to give up for Aiyuk if he came with a 4 year 100M extension that kicks in after this season?

Pick 60, 2 5ths, and next year's 7. 

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

But if its at the cost of a guy you want (say troy franklin), is it worth it? Because NE picks right after us, has a big need at boundary WR, and had a top 30 visit with him.  

You always take BPA as long as it's something you don't have a surplus of. Careers in the NFL are too short and there is no guarantee any player will be a "star". They stick to their board and take who they have rated highest. 

Now if they have a group of players all relatively the same grade then you can start going with the higher need 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, stevestojan said:

Ok, now that I’ve had time to sleep in it, I hate the move to give KC the fastest man on earth even more than I did last night. Anyone but KC. WTF 

Look at his advanced metrics and you'll feel a lot better.

Tiny frame speedsters hardly ever work out. KC doesn't have a great track record drafting WRs early. Mitchell is barely slower than him and weighs 20 pounds more. 

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Do people honestly think the Bills can draft a WR#1 now? At best, from 33? Franklin, McConkey, Mitchell? If they bring any of those in, they'll be #4 at best, behind Samuel, Hollins and Shakir.

If they want a number one from 2024, they need to trade for it. Not draft.

I think all of those guys could supplant Hollins pretty quickly in the pecking order. None of them are going to be #1 WRs as rookies though. If we don't trade for a veteran #1 WR (which I don't really expect but it's not impossible), it seems like we're planning to go with a more balanced attack with Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, and the rookie all being good options.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CNYfan said:

Don't sleep on Roman Wilson at 60

I would be shocked. He's about a pure of a slot receiver as there is this draft. Something the Bills really don't need more of in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Samuel is the Davis replacement. That was planned from the off.

The Bills receivers by the end of last year were Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield and Harty.

We're currently looking at Samuel, Hollins, Shakir, Shorter and Isabella(?)

Add Diggs to that and Isabella would come off the list.

Add Franklin and McConkey and so would Shorter.

Suddenly the Bills would be in a much better position.

If they can draft one of Franklin or McConkey, and add a veteran (Aiyuk/Sutton) to the mix, then they're in decent shape. But I don't think there is anything Beane could have done differently up to now once the decision was made to move Diggs on.

I don't really see us trading for an expensive WR, but if we did this.. McConkey/Franklin plus Aiyuk added to Samuel and Shakir.. Well, I could confidently say that they FINALLY got Josh Allen a squad at WR.   That group plus Mack Hollins at WR5 is way better than what we had last year.

• Agree 1