Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

37 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Hopefully not too aggressive. Hard to shake the ghosts of Sammy Watkins from the memory banks, but it feels like that same situation. The draft is loaded with WR potential, and Whaley wanted to get the cream of that crop… then Davante Adams goes in the second round.

Point is, in a deep class I’d rather fire 2, even 3 bullets trying to find the Davante Adams, Aj Brown, DK Metcalf, or even Justin Jefferson in the late 1st, rather than risk the farm and hope Nabers or whoever is more Jamar Chase than Sammy “Can’t Miss, Generational Talent” Watkins.

I was thinking the same thing today, when we traded up for Watkins in a loaded draft, everyone said how stupid that was. 

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I refuse to believe my future #1 WR is a burner that's  5' 11" 165 lbs. 

Give me BTJ.

I think the Bills intend to spread the ball around moreso than having a dominate # 1 guy per say, even if they go up and get an Odunze imo. I dont think you look at it as Worthy is the # 1 WR.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 97bills said:

I was thinking the same thing today, when we traded up for Watkins in a loaded draft, everyone said how stupid that was. 

The other thing that is stupid is to overgeneralize from a single example. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, 97bills said:

Again…. It was stupid because the Bills were no where near being a legit contending team.

This team has a yearly MVP nominee at QB

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Only 2 more sleeps until the draft!!!!! The wait is almost over. PLEASE Brandon Beane choose wisely. I Know he will move up for his guy. if he wants him badly enough   I don't doubt it for a second.

I'm nervous about this scenario though I'm not gonna lie

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Let's just pretend they get to 4. Who do you think they are taking in that scenario?

MHJ

I’ve heard that they love Nabers from a reliable source. I just can’t wrap my head around passing on MHJ. His ceiling is the best WR in football and a HOF career. His floor is pro bowl WR IMO. If you’re spending that kind of draft capital you want both the high ceiling and high floor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

MHJ

I’ve heard that they love Nabers from a reliable source. I just can’t wrap my head around passing on MHJ. His ceiling is the best WR in football and a HOF career. His floor is pro bowl WR IMO. If you’re spending that kind of draft capital you want both the high ceiling and high floor.

Yeah, I agree. I have days where I really like the other guys, but I just couldn't pass on MHJ.

38 minutes ago, JBI$111 said:

Hopefully the Bill's don't give up too much, they usually get fleeced and give away more than the trade value would suggest when they make moves up or generally make a trade. Other teams know they're desperate to trade up for a wide receiver, it's a huge glaring need and of course they'll take advantage of it. The Bill's are not in a good position to negotiate fair value if they want to trade up that bad and other teams know it.

Maybe trade up a little bit and get Worthy and then trade for Metcalf or get another large receiver later on after they get Worthy. Can't let Miami get Worthy or Kansas City.

Agree with much of what you share here EXCEPT I think the Bills definitely CAN "let Miami get Worthy." That would be some silly asset allocation for a team stacked with WR speed but lacking on both lines. No need to be determined to prevent that scenario. But to think the Bills would somehow let Worthy get past them and land in the laps of KC...THAT would hurt. Can't imagine KC giving up much capital to move up FAR for a WR with some other notable needs that line up with their current draft position (OL, DB, etc.), which would mean we let Worthy fall back to them and likely spent capital on moving up for a different WR (in a potentially historic WR draft). 

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I would think we’d only be trading up for a wr.

Nabers is my unrealistic dream, but we prob would have to trade up too far for him.

Odunze is prob the big trade up possibility and don’t be surprised if the smaller trade up would not be for Thomas jr, but would be for worthy.

IF they trade up, it better be for a WR. And I really hope that would only be a smaller, Beaney trade up from 28 to 18 or even better, somewhere in the early 20s. Trading WAY up in a draft so loaded with potential prospects seems foolhardy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

MHJ

I believe Josh Allen may like Nabers most.  He mentioned him first when discussing WR’s. Joe B also had us trading up to 7 for Nabers in his last mock

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Can we make an agreement that we won’t compare whatever happens Thursday to trading up for a WR a decade ago?  In case people haven’t realized, the world is much different now. The Bills are Super Bowl contenders with a top 2 QB and missing WR1 & WR2. Additionally, a top end WR used to account for like 7% of the cap. Now it is almost double that. When you have an elite QB, you are really in a tough spot if you have to pay WR too. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Smokescreen.

Or at the least, making the steps to satiate the fans appetite and go "well we tried, but the right deal wasn't there to do it that made sense for us." 

And Beane will go on to say, "But we drafted Devontez Walker and we think this kid is going to be a star."

• Eyeroll 1

The best part about thursday is that we will find out how the actual nfl teams view the players.  Content creators have 4 months of screaming into the great big void about who wants what and where....then the actual draft comes and usually we find out very few of these people have a really accurate beat on how players are viewed.  Teams have more info than the content creators and it always shows on the weekend of the draft.

the best part is the freak out from these people about how team x could have taken player Y 2 rounds earlier over player Z....while never acknowledging that what they didn't know about player Z is he had both thumbs removed in the offseason and now has to catch the ball like a golden retriever.  I look forward to that every year.

Tomorrow around the league we should start to get a more accurate view of things.  I heard bryan broaddus on the radio here in DFW today talking about how one of his GM friends said Latham, the O-lineman is viewed higher than most of the analysts are projecting and will be gone in the teens.  FWIW he keeps talking about the chiefs and cowboys making a deal if Dallas's players are gone when they pick at 24 and he knows KC has the ammunition to move up and have some players targeted, he mentioned wr.

anyway.  I am completely against selling out this whole draft and the best part of next years for a wr.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

MHJ

Nabers is the definition of explosiveness

• Like (+1) 2

MHJ is silky smooth. He can flow anywhere on the field, catches everything that hits his hands.

I have this weird feeling that he’s going to get knocked around and leg injuries will slow him down. He’s long. Big target, for defenses. Those hybrid LBs like Bernard steamrolling the kid when he’s stretched out. 

Also, the expectation cannot be any higher. I read it here.. he’s a Hall of Famer and/or a perennial All-Pro (HoF’er). 

I know I’m just digging here, but IF the fairy tale doesn’t happen, what would be the reasons..? Not talent, not pedigree, not mental, not diva. 

I’m staking Nabers, in a way that he just won’t g.a.s. He’ll play so hard and so fast that he’s going to scare defenses. To me, he looks like he has an extra hot fire burning and wants to be the best. He just looks mean out there. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Nabers is the definition of explosiveness

He's nuts. His legs almost look like they're going so fast he loses control of his body at times. MHJ is elite, but Nabers is also a potential first year pro bowler. The separation tells you all you need to know. On his deep routes he's alone and it's not just speed. His route running tricks the DB in most cases and he's gone the second that happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Wonder if the giants would accept next year's 1 and 2 and Elam to get up to 6

I know it’s easy to make the thought because of the relationships but the Giants brass is fighting for their jobs and accepting picks next year could very well just be assisting the next HC/GM. Can’t see them making a deal with the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I know it’s easy to make the thought because of the relationships but the Giants brass is fighting for their jobs and accepting picks next year could very well just be assisting the next HC/GM. Can’t see them making a deal with the Bills 

there is zero chance the Giants are moving to 28.  Zero.  I dont think they would do it if they were offered the bills next 3 first rounders

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The question isn’t whether or not the Bills are trying to get up for one of the big 3. That answer is unequivocally yes. That’s obvious. The question is, “can they make a deal that’ll work?” That’s the only question.

Supply and demand not in our favor 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yeah but also because they might want ammo to trade up themselves for a QB, although they are at 6

Rumor is that QB's will go 1-4 so that drops the top 3 WR's a bit and one of those guys might fall out of the top 10. It wouldn't be too crazy to think they could get to around 10 if they gave up next year's #1 while still maintaining a high 2nd rounder (Vikings 2nd from Diggs trade) which could act as their 1st if they believe they are going to pick around 30 anyhow. Vikings 2nd is likely top 35-40 so they wouldn't be totally screwed for next year.

Rome Odunze - welcome to Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I refuse to believe my future #1 WR is a burner that's  5' 11" 165 lbs. 

Give me BTJ.

Its worse...hes actually 2 inches taller at 6'1" and 165 pounds.  He is literally a stick figure thats not gonna be able to get off the line in bad weather games.

• Haha (+1) 2

How about our extra 4th this year and next year's #1 to go up to #9 with the Bears? Maybe we will throw in like a 6th or something this year as well to help sweeten the deal. The Bears only have 4 picks in this year's draft so if they could add 2 more plus a #1 next year it would be to their benefit. They are already pretty stacked at WR, Odunze would be their #3 option on their offense (DJ Moore, Keenan Allen).

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

6 is probably the “floor” of where they can go as of now. They could be working contingent deals though with the Titans, Falcons and Bears. I’d imagine that the Bills are calling 4 through 9. 

Holy crap. What if they target AZ’s pick and take MHJ? Jesus what a draft pick that would be.

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Only 2 more sleeps until the draft!!!!! The wait is almost over. PLEASE Brandon Beane choose wisely. I Know he will move up for his guy. if he wants him badly enough   I don't doubt it for a second.

I'm nervous about this scenario though I'm not gonna lie

It was said a few posts back. When we took Watkins we had a bum throwing him the ball. Could you imagine MHJ  Nabors or Odunze with Josh throwing to them? Immediate stud receiver if Beane thinks that one of these guys is a generational talent. If he’s convinced go get him whatever the cost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

It was said a few posts back. When we took Watkins we had a bum throwing him the ball. Could you imagine MHJ  Nabors or Odunze with Josh throwing to them? Immediate stud receiver if Beane thinks that one of these guys is a generational talent. If he’s convinced go get him whatever the cost.

There's way more of a chance of it being a Julio Jones/Matt Ryan type result than a Sammy Watkins/Tyrod Manuel type result.  The question though is how much does the rest of the roster do you have to sacrifice to make that happen?

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's down to what Tyler Dunne said today:

The two scenarios for the Bills are either:

1) Trade up for Rome Odunze

2) Xavier Worthy

It's gonna be one of those two things.

I like the idea of both. A true alpha X receiver would be great. A truly electrifying Z receiver with terrifying speed to open up the middle for Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and Cook is great. Either one would improve the Bills offense greatly. Two different flavors, but both would make us more dynamic.

I really believe it's down to those two options as the most likely.

2) Great, just what we need, another smurf-y Z receiver that lacks the strength and the release to beat press man coverage at the X or Y position, to go with our stable of receivers who are best used playing off the LOS plus Mack "Savage" Hollins.

Bills should 100% take their draft advice from Ty Dunne

Trading up is a no brainer, if not a necessity, unless we want to settle for, at best, the 6th WR off the board.

Thomas will be gone by 28. And anyone underneath us that is interested in a WR is going to jump ahead of us because they know we're going to take one and quite possibly their "guy".

The question is - is it an "aggressive" trade up they're hearing about or simply "aggressively" trying to move up any number of slots?

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Trading up is a no brainer, if not a necessity, unless we want to settle for, at best, the 6th WR off the board.

Thomas will be gone by 28. And anyone underneath us that is interested in a WR is going to jump ahead of us because they know we're going to take one and quite possibly their "guy".

The question is - is it an "aggressive" trade up they're hearing about or simply "aggressively" trying to move up any number of slots?

Gentle reminder that the 6th WR off the board is not necessarily the 6th best WR in the draft

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Gentle reminder that the 6th WR off the board is not necessarily the 6th best WR in the draft

Of course. The 20th WR in the Draft could end up being the best. But when you have the kind of WR core we have right now, it's possible (if not likely) that there's someone he wants to secure that is considered a safer bet and has better tools to succeed right away. 

The hole is so glaring (regardless of what Beane says) that it's possible there's multiple teams underneath us that are thinking of hopping ahead of us if we stand pat. And as good as this class is, there's only so many that are considered 1st Round talents. Maybe even less than we think if the stuff about Mitchell's health and habits are true.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Not according to nfl.com draft profiles

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/xavier-worthy/3200574f-5274-1496-c9ca-5c4709faa05b

Same point though

if you google “How tall is Xavier Worthy” his height he’s 6’-1” every where else though.  So not sure what’s accurate, but during combine the big knock was being over 6 feet tall and weighing 164 pounds. Here is a couple for example

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4683062/xavier-worthy

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/xavier-worthy/12556

Either way, he’s still a stick figure though as you said.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Rumor is that QB's will go 1-4 so that drops the top 3 WR's a bit and one of those guys might fall out of the top 10. It wouldn't be too crazy to think they could get to around 10 if they gave up next year's #1 while still maintaining a high 2nd rounder (Vikings 2nd from Diggs trade) which could act as their 1st if they believe they are going to pick around 30 anyhow. Vikings 2nd is likely top 35-40 so they wouldn't be totally screwed for next year.

Rome Odunze - welcome to Buffalo 

I agree with most of this though I'm not sure I buy that the Vikings are going to suck quite that bad. That pick is more likely 40-45 than 35-40 I reckon. 35 would mean they have the third worst record in the league I just don't see that. They still have a very good oline, two excellent receivers, a good tight end.... okay QB is a complete unknown but I'd be surprised if they were total suckitude with their talent. 

• Like (+1) 1