Does Beane have a trade with Schoen Lined Up???

cbatl32

I was just thinking about how Beane wouldn't have traded Diggs without a plan in place.  I started thinking that would be very difficult because it's hard to know who will be available even if we traded up to pick 9 with the Bears.  No guarantee that the top 3 WRs would even be still on the board.  But.....what if Beane and Schoen already have a deal for the 6 pick?  If you think about it, Schoen was here when we traded the 10th pick (Mahomes sigh) for the 27th pick and a first the next year.  And we used that to get Josh.  Schoen knows he needs a QB but doesn't really have the chance to get one of the top 4 this year without mortgaging the future.  

So what if Schoen is looking to acquire extra ammo for 2025 draft so they can move up next year for their "Josh Allen".  We could package something like this year's first, fourth and fifth, plus our first and Minnesota's second next year.  That would be pretty close in value on the Rich Hill chart.  It would still allow NYG to grab a top WR at 28, pick up some extra picks this year, but then have two 1s and a very high 2 next year to get their QB.

Am I crazy for thinking that they may have already discussed/agreed on something like this?  It would basically ensure we get one of Nabors/MHJ/Odunze.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Anything's possible.  If Beane is thinking of a major move like that they could already have the parameters of the deal in place.  It pry won't happen until the draft though as the Giants might only move out if a player they want is off the board by the time they pick.  The Bills might not make the move if the WR they covet is gone at 6.  The Broncos and Bills had a deal ready to go in 2018 but Elway called off the deal because Bradley Chubb fell to them.  

• Like (+1) 4

It's very possible.

The Giants need the QB, but if the top 4 are off the board by 6, then they might do this deal.

If one of the top 4 QB's slips to the Giants, then the deal if off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't see us giving up that much draft capital.

Toss in the Giants need a QB, if Jayden Daniels falls to 3 I could see them trading with the Patriots or stay put and reach for JJ McCarthy. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Cuz the top 3 QBs could be gone and after them there's a bunch of ???

And the guy who gets drafted first could do squat (See 2023 draft). At 6, they'd be better off trying to move up this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't see us giving up that much draft capital.

I'd give up that much draft capital for Malik Nabers in a heartbeat.

We'd still have a pick in the 4th and 5th round this year. Essentially, we'd still have a full slate of draft picks.

Then, next season, we'd still have a pick in the 2nd round, even after trading a 1st and 2nd.

I know its a divisive topic, and many are against the idea of moving up for a WR in a WR-heavy draft. I am not one of those people. Nabers and MHJ and Odunze are worth a big move.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 7

I don't see McBeane doing a massive trade up for a non-QB, and honestly I don't think trading up for a non-QB is worth it. The NFL draft is a complete crapshoot AND the NFL it's self is very volatile with injuries. You can pick the right players whose fantastic but then he gets seriously hurt and the chances he washes out is a lot higher. In order for the Bills to go from pick 28 to pick 6 it would probably require the Bills to give up picks 28, 60, 128 and a 1st and 3rd in next years draft. That's 5 selections in the first 4 rounds for one player that isn't a QB (as QB's are both franchise changers and can now play for a long period of time they are the only position worth trading up massively for). 

If you get Nabers at pick 6 and at a cost of a future 1st, 3rd, and picks 28, 60 and 128 that's 5 good draft picks wrapped up in one single player. If he is a bust or gets hurt you are sinking so much down the drain. Smaller trade ups I am fine with if Brian Thomas Jr falls to the pick 23/24 and they want to trade up I am fine with it. But don't mortgage a lot of two draft classes for a WR. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's very possible.

The Giants need the QB, but if the top 4 are off the board by 6, then they might do this deal.

Giants might be able to trade down and still land a QB they value like Penix.  

• Eyeroll 1

As I’ve just got done stating in a couple of other wide receiver threads, I would consider it for Marvin Harrison Junior. Obviously, you’d have to draw the line somewhere. But I think he’s that good. if he’s on the board at six, I admit, I’ll be secretly hoping they say the Bills have just made a trade with the Giants.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

WATCH YOUR DRINK. BEANE!  You're not looking, Schoen drops something in your glass, and the next day Schoen shows you the 'Danny Dimes' for Allen contract you signed! 😳

image.jpeg.e0b65a489f4ca6b5964eda0fbbfe20be.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, cbatl32 said:

I was just thinking about how Beane wouldn't have traded Diggs without a plan in place.  I started thinking that would be very difficult because it's hard to know who will be available even if we traded up to pick 9 with the Bears.  No guarantee that the top 3 WRs would even be still on the board.  But.....what if Beane and Schoen already have a deal for the 6 pick?  If you think about it, Schoen was here when we traded the 10th pick (Mahomes sigh) for the 27th pick and a first the next year.  And we used that to get Josh.  Schoen knows he needs a QB but doesn't really have the chance to get one of the top 4 this year without mortgaging the future.  

So what if Schoen is looking to acquire extra ammo for 2025 draft so they can move up next year for their "Josh Allen".  We could package something like this year's first, fourth and fifth, plus our first and Minnesota's second next year.  That would be pretty close in value on the Rich Hill chart.  It would still allow NYG to grab a top WR at 28, pick up some extra picks this year, but then have two 1s and a very high 2 next year to get their QB.

Am I crazy for thinking that they may have already discussed/agreed on something like this?  It would basically ensure we get one of Nabors/MHJ/Odunze.

I was mentioning this yesterday with the giants at 6. Although the more I think about it I think any trade up would be to the early 20s or so, a more subtle trade

• Like (+1) 1

Just stop with the "move up to 6" or even top ten. We have way too many holes to fill and beaner won't waste all our picks for a rookie WR.

There were 4 WR's taken in the 1st round last year:

900 yards

800yards

600 yards

400 yards.

Good numbers, but not trading my whole draft for that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see McBeane doing a massive trade up for a non-QB, and honestly I don't think trading up for a non-QB is worth it. The NFL draft is a complete crapshoot AND the NFL it's self is very volatile with injuries. You can pick the right players whose fantastic but then he gets seriously hurt and the chances he washes out is a lot higher. In order for the Bills to go from pick 28 to pick 6 it would probably require the Bills to give up picks 28, 60, 128 and a 1st and 3rd in next years draft. That's 5 selections in the first 4 rounds for one player that isn't a QB (as QB's are both franchise changers and can now play for a long period of time they are the only position worth trading up massively for). 

If you get Nabers at pick 6 and at a cost of a future 1st, 3rd, and picks 28, 60 and 128 that's 5 good draft picks wrapped up in one single player. If he is a bust or gets hurt you are sinking so much down the drain. Smaller trade ups I am fine with if Brian Thomas Jr falls to the pick 23/24 and they want to trade up I am fine with it. But don't mortgage a lot of two draft classes for a WR. 

Agreed 💯.   It's just not worth it.   This is a deep draft and I feel we can move up say 10 spots without breaking the draft capital bank,if someone is there we like.  But thats all I would do.

• Like (+1) 4

I’m not in favor of using that much draft capital to move up to 6. What if he’s a bust and we blew this year’s 1st, next years 1st, and probably a 2nd rounder? Would rather use the 1st we have or the 2025 2nd to acquire Aiyuk. He’ll be expensive, but look at it as bust insurance paid. The draft is deep at WR. Move up in the 2nd if needed. Would be a lot cheaper. 

1 hour ago, cbatl32 said:

If so, maybe it is one of those "unless our guy is still there" type of deals, that doesn't get announced until the day of the draft.  

1 hour ago, cbatl32 said:

If we pay that much for a WR I will vomit.  To do so in one of the best, if not the best, WR draft in history then Beanes job should be in jeopardy…and I love Beane.  The only acceptable outcome of that is if that WR goes on to be the best one of this draft and is franchise altering which is highly unlikely.

We had a top 5 WR with Diggs and didn’t make a SB.  That should tell you that it’s not worth that much to get a WR.  Chiefs just won a SB with what everyone said was the worst WR group in the NFL.  

It’s crazy to me how much some of you want to give up for a WR.  I get maybe giving our first next year to get Odunze, Nabers, or Thomas now that we have another 2 seconds next year, but that really should be our max given how good this draft is for WRs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Giants might be able to trade down and still land a QB they value like Penix.  

Not sure what their sexual preferences have to do with a signal caller.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If we pay that much for a WR I will vomit.  To do so in one of the best, if not the best, WR draft in history then Beanes job should be in jeopardy…and I love Beane.  The only acceptable outcome of that is if that WR goes on to be the best one of this draft and is franchise altering which is highly unlikely.

We had a top 5 WR with Diggs and didn’t make a SB.  That should tell you that it’s not worth that much to get a WR.  Chiefs just won a SB with what everyone said was the worst WR group in the NFL.  

It’s crazy to me how much some of you want to give up for a WR.  I get maybe giving our first next year to get Odunze, Nabers, or Thomas now that we have another 2 seconds next year, but that really should be our max given how good this draft is for WRs.

i never said I wanted this. I’m speculating as to whether or not Beane might want to do this and possibly had it arranged before he traded Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would gladly give the Giants next yrs 1st for 47, pick 70 and 166.  WIN/WIN

Gimme Ladd, Legette, Sweat and Maason Smith....then BPA

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Just stop with the "move up to 6" or even top ten. We have way too many holes to fill and beaner won't waste all our picks for a rookie WR.

There were 4 WR's taken in the 1st round last year:

900 yards

800yards

600 yards

400 yards.

Good numbers, but not trading my whole draft for that. 

Nabers, Harrison and Odunze weren’t the ones drafted last year. Lasts years WR class was mediocre at best, the top 3 this year are elite. I trade 2 1sts, a 2nd and a couple of mid round picks all day for Nabers and probably Odunze. Harrison is as good as gone - worst kept secret or ARI

7 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I would gladly give the Giants next yrs 1st for 47, pick 70 and 166.  WIN/WIN

Gimme Ladd, Legette, Sweat and Maason Smith....then BPA

I would too but NYG want to participate in the draft post rd 1. This would wipe them out pick wise, leaving them only 166 and 183. For two guys fighting for their jobs, they’re not sacrificing 2024

19 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Nabers, Harrison and Odunze weren’t the ones drafted last year. Lasts years WR class was mediocre at best, the top 3 this year are elite. I trade 2 1sts, a 2nd and a couple of mid round picks all day for Nabers and probably Odunze. Harrison is as good as gone - worst kept secret or ARI

I would too but NYG want to participate in the draft post rd 1. This would wipe them out pick wise, leaving them only 166 and 183. For two guys fighting for their jobs, they’re not sacrificing 2024

True, but they'd have our 25 1st to shop with....and didn't they trade for Burns? Not my problem. Plus they can trade back from 6.

Edit: Oh and fill their roster out with our P.S.

Edited by nosejob
  • Haha (+1) 1

This brings bad memories of Watkins.  We moved up for him and the following players were drafter after:  Evans, OBJ. Adams (2nd rd), Robinson, and a bunch more with better career.  I am not opposed to moving up a few rungs to get the guy you want but don’t mortgage the future.  Think how much fun draft next year will be without a first or second

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

This brings bad memories of Watkins.  We moved up for him and the following players were drafter after:  Evans, OBJ. Adams (2nd rd), Robinson, and a bunch more with better career.  I am not opposed to moving up a few rungs to get the guy you want but don’t mortgage the future.  Think how much fun draft next year will be without a first or second

No way would I trade up more than 2-4 spots, and that'd be for Latu.

whatever the bills do they know they can not trade this years 2.  They have to have a second pick.  The roster is not 1 rookie wr away from winning. 

they have to find some talent on defense and they need another running back, not to mention safety.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

CENTER.  Fortify the strength of this offense. 

The weapons won’t matter.  

Just now, Turbo44 said:

TEN would be a good trade partner probably. Why are they looking to trade back?

Just speculation.  If next years first is on the table.  

Which I’m only doing for one of the top 3 WRs.  

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

It's very possible.

Also, why wait for next year if you’re the G-men? You’re already at 6 in a strong QB draft. Why not just push in this year and move to top 4? 

Aaron Kromer's daughter, commenting on Diggs trade, said this:  "Good riddance.  There's always a reason & always a plan.  #trusttheprocess"  

Since I saw that, I've wondered what the plan was.  I think it's very possible Beane already has a deal in place to trade up.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Also, why wait for next year if you’re the G-men? You’re already at 6 in a strong QB draft. Why not just push in this year and move to top 4? 

They should nab McCarthy at 6! Wouldn't that be a hoot.