Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think this was correct last season.  It was correct in 2020 and 2021.  I think the Bills saw a lot of man coverage, and a lot of hybrid coverage (1 side man, 1 side zone)

Man is a dying coverage. I’ve seen stats that teams run zone over 60% of snaps.

The NFL is a league that features a lot more zone-coverage schemes than man schemes. Since 2020, 66.4% of dropbacks have been against a zone-coverage scheme. 

https://www.the33rdteam.com/breaking-down-nfl-man-zone-coverage-schemes/

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

It is tough/impossible to call the Bills the 'winner' here.

It seems like Diggs might have had them backed into a corner though, and they had little choice. It seems he started pouting somewhere towards the end of the 2022 season. The Bills figured they could make everything better through the offseason, and last season, but it seems to have never worked out. This year, he would have probably been a distraction and/or not given full effort, and probably let the Bills know that.

Its a net-negative for the Bills though. It is a drought-era WR room right now. They had to eat feces on a $31 cap hit. Along with all the other departures of team captains and pro-bowlers, this is really going to test the sustainability of the "process" here as well as Josh Allen's ability, commitment, and leadership. It kind of sails outside of the Bills being a powerhouse, and more into the seas of the unknown (and there is a hurricane Terry looming somewhere out there)

You mean yet, at this point, up to now, on paper.  It's a net-negative if no other move is made.  I can agree with that but I don't think we're done.

How quickly even the on-paper decision can change though.  Obviously if J Jefferson is added, the Bills are on-paper better.  I would go so far as to say even adding DHop or Aiyuk would make the Bills better on paper than what we expected with Diggs still on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Graham claims he didn't report it at the time because he couldn't hear what Diggs actually said, and that for all he knew it could have been a compliment/praise that hit Allen the wrong way (though unlikely). 

He says he wishes, in retrospect, that he had reported that incident at the time. To be honest, though, what good would it have done the Bills? I'm kind of glad he didn't.

Oh I get it, and I don't think it should have been more than just the state "Josh was visibly upset after the game and consoled hy his teammates. Each offering him kind words while diggs approached and frustrated Josh."

See, it's a double sided coin. He's reconditioning the situation to fit a narrative now. That doesn't bode well for integrity. 

At the same time these guys are just at work doing their job so I usually don't give a ***** about stories like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone make a poll to see where TBD stands on the trade? 

(Not digging thru 141 pages of BS to look for)

===================================================================

Whatta dipshit!

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-stefon-diggs-paid-jimmie-ward-100-000-for-no-1

Edited by DieHardFan

5 minutes ago, DieHardFan said:

We have all five stages of grief on display here. There is no consensus. We have one fan so upset with the trade that he hopes that the Texans win the Super Bowl next year just to stick it to Brandon Beane. We have other fans who are in "I told ya so" mode as a carryover from the Cryptic Tweet thread. We had one dude on here on Wednesday that essentially argued that Diggs was right, Josh is the actual bad teammate, and that we traded the wrong guy. So, you know, a typical week on TBD.

• Haha (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You mean yet, at this point, up to now, on paper.  It's a net-negative if no other move is made.  I can agree with that but I don't think we're done.

How quickly even the on-paper decision can change though.  Obviously if J Jefferson is added, the Bills are on-paper better.  I would go so far as to say even adding DHop or Aiyuk would make the Bills better on paper than what we expected with Diggs still on the team.

People forget, this is April before the draft, and we don’t play football until September. Beane opened that door with “we’re probably not better today”, and some media folks jumped on that (Cowherd being one).  They skip the part where “we still have a lot of work to do”. I’ll wait and see.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

We have all five stages of grief on display here. There is no consensus. We have one fan so upset with the trade that he hopes that the Texans win the Super Bowl next year just to stick it to Brandon Beane. We have other fans who are in "I told ya so" mode as a carryover from the Cryptic Tweet thread. We had one dude on here on Wednesday that essentially argued that Diggs was right, Josh is the actual bad teammate, and that we traded the wrong guy. So, you know, a typical week on TBD.

LOL.  Sounds about right!

39 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Graham has claimed a lot of things over the years, just like other "journalists" such as Johnny Wawrow, Jerry Sullivan, Bucky Gleason, etc.   

Who knows what actually happened

You and I are not on the same page here. Graham and Wawrow are credible people in my book. One can have whatever personal opinions they want about those guys, but I have never been given any reason to doubt their professional credibility. Graham admits that he didn't hear what Diggs actually said to Allen, but I have no reason to believe he would make up Allen's response.

I believe him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interesting stuff. Imo, the biggest reason for the trend towards more zone schemes, is because there are so many more QBs that can hurt you with their running and you just can’t turn your back on them. Zones are also more challenging for offensive players to decipher, especially post snap, and your QB needs to be more patient. Not always an easy thing to do.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

You and I are not on the same page here. Graham and Wawrow are credible people in my book. One can have whatever personal opinions they want about those guys, but I have never been given any reason to doubt their professional credibility. Graham admits that he didn't hear what Diggs actually said to Allen, but I have no reason to believe he would make up Allen's response.

I believe him.

Fair enough! 

28 minutes ago, DieHardFan said:

Whatta dipshit!

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-stefon-diggs-paid-jimmie-ward-100-000-for-no-1

I like it a lot better now that Diggs will be a FA after this season.  I have no idea what was happening behind the scenes with him, but, Diggs was obviously a problem

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Everyone wonder what happened to Diggs the 2nd half of the season?  He shut it down when we hit 5-5, he wasn't going to go all out for a possibly non playoff team.

Brady also made it a team thing, vs. Appeasing a single WR.

Listen to Cosell and Simms.  He no longer threatened defenses deep.  They were able to sit on his underneath route tree more.  Still a good player but no longer elite. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, DieHardFan said:

Whatta dipshit!

That's nothing. If I was Ward I would have held out for more. Some oil-drunk idiot in Dubai paid 15 million for a license plate.  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-expensive-license-plate-in-the-world-sold-at-auction-for-15-million-dubai/

Edited by Low Positive

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe him.

Count me in the group that was frequently annoyed by TG and JW but I don't think I ever questioned their credibility.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DieHardFan said:

Whatta dipshit!

Why does that make him a dipshit? $100k  to him is a drop in the bucket. Id venture to guess he is making a statement that he is the #1 WR in Houston.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

These comments make me laugh. Questioning Josh's leadership is ridiculous. I remember that press conference, I remember him saying how bad he wanted to beat them. I remember him taking blame for his mistakes and saying he played like *****.

Josh knows his own mistakes, anyone who has watched a few of his press conferences know that. Being upset with yourself is common when you know you had a bad game, having a knuckle head pointing any mistakes out can be infuriating. Especially right after walking off the field.  Says more about Diggs poor leadership than Allen’s. 

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:
Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

And that’s what makes this place fun😂

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

People forget, this is April before the draft, and we don’t play football until September. Beane opened that door with “we’re probably not better today”, and some media folks jumped on that (Cowherd being one).  They skip the part where “we still have a lot of work to do”. I’ll wait and see.  

Could they draft Diggs replacement yeah sure. They will be better than right now but I don't see where they improve significantly. They have no cap room to go out and get a Higgins or high end guy. 

7 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Could they draft Diggs replacement yeah sure. They will be better than right now but I don't see where they improve significantly. They have no cap room to go out and get a Higgins or high end guy. 

I don’t want a “high end guy” who is old(er) and expensive. I think we will get younger and cheaper, and apparently I have more faith they can do that than you do. Time will tell, but I’m excited to see what they pull off. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Interesting stuff. Imo, the biggest reason for the trend towards more zone schemes, is because there are so many more QBs that can hurt you with their running and you just can’t turn your back on them. Zones are also more challenging for offensive players to decipher, especially post snap, and your QB needs to be more patient. Not always an easy thing to do.

Thats why you need WRs that understand running routes vs zone. Man beaters just don’t mean as much anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

They don’t have to improve “significantly”. They were one dropped Diggs pass, or a missed FG from possibly winning the SB. They will be a favorite again next year.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

But I think the biggest wildcard is Joe Brady.  What kind of passing game can he scheme up?  

I think we have seen enough in the last half of the 2023 season along with the two playoff games. "IF" Buffalo had an established #1 WR in the playoffs that would perform like a #1 or even a #2 they should have won that Chiefs game.  Diggs has gone invisible in the playoffs the last four years, with few yards, and no TDs. 

Joe Brady is the guy I've been hoping for at OC with what he did with the Bills run game against Dallas and against the Chiefs in the playoffs. It was like watching the 1990 SB all over again only this time with Buffalo playing to keep the ball away from Mahomes. A thing of beauty that almost worked what with half the Buffalo defense on crutches.

Diggs was still the leading receiver in the second half of last season and yet he didn't do nearly enough with the ball to garner a #1 WR status. 

I think the team will be fine with Shakir, Kincade, and Knox along with the new faces. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I think we have seen enough in the last half of the 2023 season along with the two playoff games. "IF" Buffalo had an established #1 WR in the playoffs that would perform like a #1 or even a #2 they should have won that Chiefs game.  Diggs has gone invisible in the playoffs the last four years, with few yards, and no TDs. 

Joe Brady is the guy I've been hoping for at OC with what he did with the Bills run game against Dallas and against the Chiefs in the playoffs. It was like watching the 1990 SB all over again only this time with Buffalo playing to keep the ball away from Mahomes. A thing of beauty that almost worked what with half the Buffalo defense on crutches.

Diggs was still the leading receiver in the second half of last season and yet he didn't do nearly enough with the ball to garner a #1 WR status. 

I think the team will be fine with Shakir, Kincade, and Knox along with the new faces. 

Post of the day.

• Like (+1) 1

This doesn't mean there weren't issues between them but I scrolled through Josh Allen's likes on Twitter and saw this from the Week 18 win in Miami. Whatever happened in the lockerroom after Week 1 probably wasn't notable to reporters at the time because by many accounts, they still seemed to be on the same page. Blowup happen even amongst friends and family.

Obviously, each individual moment doesn't tell the whole story, but I thought it was interesting to reflect on it nevertheless:

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think anyone was arguing that he wasn't potentially a good deal for the receiving team.  He's somewhere between a reasonable ROI (if you think he's now a #17 or #18 WR) and a bargain (if you think he's a very talented #1).  You can tell that by the fact that Houston is willing to sweeten his pot with an additional $3.5M.  

It's the Bills end of the bargain, the fact that the Bills will be assuming $31M dead cap AND leaving a giant WR skill shortage on their team, that folks like myself and Cover1 opined made him untradeable.

The wild card is that apparently, for reasons not entirely apparent outside OBD but the subject of endless speculation, the Bills wanted his space more than they wanted his skill.

It's likely it wasn't about the skills but became tiresome of the player himself.  That's what, IMO, made him tradeable. 

It's my opinion that you've undervalued the Samuel signing.  I think he's bringing more than Gabe had to offer.  That coupled with the decline of Diggs, has reduced the gap in production we'll need to have from the WR we add.

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

Lofton was 35 and topped 1000 yards with the Bills in 1991.  It can be done, but it is indeed rare. 

When looking into which players at 35 or older have put up 1k WR seasons I was pleasantly surprised to see Lofton in 1991 on there. He even followed that up with a decent season at age 36 with over 700 yards. Of the guys to have done it only 4 players have had multiple seasons age 35 or older (Jerry Rice with 3 and TO, Jimmy Smith and Joey Galloway with 2 each). 

It is also weird that as much as the NFL has become more and more of a passing league with each passing decade since the 1980's there haven't been too many WR's to have success in their mid 30's since the 2000's. In the 2000's Jerry Rice, TO, Joey Galloway, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason, Tim Brown and Cris Carter combined to have 12 of the 18 seasons of players 35 and older to have 1k seasons. 5 of the other 6 came in the 1990's (Jerry Rice, Lofton, Irving Fryar, Drew Hill and Henry Ellard all with 1 season each). In the 2010's it only happened once with Steve Smith back in 2014. 

I don't know if it is that players retire quicker now due to what we know about concussions and other injuries long term or players in the passing game are taking on more hits and target volume earlier in their careers which leads to more slowdowns? 

Just odd to see that trend start in the 1990's accelerate in the 2000's and then fall off a cliff in the 2010's?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The whole zone-versus-man may be an oversimplification.  Sometimes one side is in man while the other is in zone.  Sometimes it's more complicated than that.  Depending on where the receiver breaks, the defender might stick with man or switch to zone (or vice-versa).

I'd like to hear an OC or DC break it down: how much is pure man...  how much is pure zone... how much is some kind of hybrid.    

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

Diggs was never All Pro before Buffalo

Diggs got plenty of targets

Diggs got massive Love from Buffalo

Diggs played on a mighty Wagon- Buffalo Bills

Diggs was due $60 million from Buffalo the next 3 years

Houston ripped up Diggs contract.  To me, $60 million is an amazing amount of money.

Beane has been great to you, and this is how you repay how good the organization was to you Steph?

it is being reported Steph requested the trade.

So it wasn't about targets, recognition, fanfare, love, money, playoffs, teammates. 

Diggs just lost $60 million 😆

What the ***** is this about Steph?

Edited by Pete
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Punch said:

This doesn't mean there weren't issues between them but I scrolled through Josh Allen's likes on Twitter and saw this from the Week 18 win in Miami. Whatever happened in the lockerroom after Week 1 probably wasn't notable to reporters at the time because by many accounts, they still seemed to be on the same page. Blowup happen even amongst friends and family.

Obviously, each individual moment doesn't tell the whole story, but I thought it was interesting to reflect on it nevertheless:

Diggs 2 years ago was a valuable player for this team, Diggs the second half of last year (that wanted out of Buffalo to play for Dallas) was a negative! He actually hurt the team, he in my opinion was purposely dropping passes to get the point across to Allen and the Bills that he was done. That’s why Brady was taking him off the field on crucial 3rd downs and for whole entire drives. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Punch said:

PRO's : elite talent, passion

CON's: selfish, constant distraction

the Buffalo Bills O-line coach's daughter immediately posted GOOD RIDDANCE......something is/was seriously wrong inside that locker room

4 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Not saying these guys are 1 to 1 replacements but I think they can replace the production those guys offered. I truly think Brady wants to get away from that 1a type receiver that we force the ball to and gets 160 targets. I could very well see the hall spread all over with maybe no one getting 1000 yards but 3-4 guys all getting around 50-70 catches for 900 yards. 

I think people are getting caught up to much on what positioning these guys play (inside/outside) Samuel, Kincaid, and Shakir can line up anywhere. Cook can split out wide and Knox is pretty versatile too. For red zone your have Knox, Kincaid and Hollins who are all big targets. 

I think what got us into trouble in the first half of last year was trying to force it to diggs. In the second half when diggs really didn’t look like a number 1 and they were spreading the ball around diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir all had similar numbers 

What you say makes sense...  in theory.  I really hope you're right - in fact!  

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thats why you need WRs that understand running routes vs zone. Man beaters just don’t mean as much anymore. 

Precisely the point I was trying to make and why I loved watching Beasley play. He saw the game as a QB. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I hope you're right about Brady.  I loved him during the Dallas game.  So fun to see us roll up yards without depending on Josh's heroics.  But neither scoring nor yards spiked under Brady.  The TDs and yards were just distributed differently.  

I'm curious to see what he can do with a full offseason to install his own offense.  I see no objective reason to believe he'll do better in 2024 than he did the second half of 2023.  But I'm a fan so I live in hope.  

Just now, K-9 said:

Precisely the point I was trying to make and why I loved watching Beasley play. He saw the game as a QB. 

That's also what makes Kelce so great. He usually doesn't run a set route. He is reading the zone as the play progresses to find that soft spot. Mahomes and Kelce happen to see the game in the same way, just like Edelman (another ex-QB turned pass catcher) and Brady did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hope you're right about Brady.  I loved him during the Dallas game.  So fun to see us roll up yards without depending on Josh's heroics.  But neither scoring nor yards spiked under Brady.  The TDs and yards were just distributed differently.  

I'm curious to see what he can do with a full offseason to install his own offense.  I see no objective reason to believe he'll do better in 2024 than he did the second half of 2023.  But I'm a fan so I live in hope.  

Well, let's not forget that Brady attempted to get Diggs a lot of work as he was still the most targeted player in the receiving corps under Brady as OC. Diggs simply didn't perform like a #1 WR, or even a decent #2. Diggs had a 66.9% catch percentage in 2023, and Gabe Davis had a 55.6% catch percentage. Diggs had 160 targets and 107 receptions. Gives you an idea of why both might be gone.

To put that in perspective Shakir had an 86.7 catch percentage, Cook 81.5%, and Kincade 80.2% catch percentage. 

It is my take that Diggs wanted out of Buffalo and was about to become another offseason distraction. I think Beane and Co. simply were tired of Diggs with his antics. Buffalo did him a solid by trading him away and Houston did him one better by restructuring to a one-year deal thus allowing him to be an FA in 2025. He wants to go to Dallas to play on the same team as his brother.

In my view,  looking at Digg's stats in the playoffs, 4 seasons in Buffalo with 9 playoff games 

Two TDs in 2020 one against the Colts, and one against the Ravens.

Two playoff games in 2021, with 0 TDs. Against the Chiefs, 7 targets for 3 receptions for 7 yards. REALLY? Against the Patriots 4 targets for 3 receptions for 60 yards

Two playoff games in 2022, with 0 TDs. Against Miami, 9 targets for 7 receptions for 114 yards. Against Cincy 10 targets for 4 receptions for 35 yards. 

Two playoff games in 2023, with 0 TDs. Against the Chiefs, 8 targets for 3 receptions for 21 yards. Against the Steelers 9 targets for 7 receptions for 52 yards.

Buffalo needs a #1 WR to step up in the playoffs and not fall on his face. Diggs can yell at Josh Allen all he wants as it wasn't Josh who was failing in those playoff games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ta111 said:

They don’t have to improve “significantly”. They were one dropped Diggs pass, or a missed FG from possibly winning the SB. They will be a favorite again next year.

Oh my. I must have missed Bills playing in the superbowl. Damn multiverse. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Diggs is a former #1 with the game moving past his skill set at a rate similar to his diminishing talents. Can he juke single coverage occasionally and dive to the turf to avoid a hit? Absolutely. Can he burn a defense that’s giving extra attention to him? Not since year 2 in Buff. #1 receivers get wins even when doubled. Diggs disappears when doubled. Houston should check with the league to see if they can give him #1C instead of his ego driven jersey choice. I’m with you- our biggest crybaby didn’t like the new OC system of throwing to open guys- he is in for a big surprise in his second tantrum recovery spot. We should start a poll of whether he ever signs another contract after 2024 when he gets fully exposed for what he’s become.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

With all respect, that's not enough.  4 guys getting 900 yds is 3,600 yds.  That would represent a 700 yd dip in what was already a second "down year" for Allen with only 4300 yds passing.

It would also be asking a 7 year vet to exceed his previous career year (possible), asking Shakir AND Kincaid to jump 50% in their production, AND asking a 3rd guy to step into the mix and push 1000 yds.

lol how far we’ve come when 4300 yards is a down year… please never leave us 17, I don’t wanna ever go back

• Awesome! (+1) 1