DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

Just now, SCBills said:

Did Cover1 just break this news over everyone?

Impressive. 

Im guessing Jones gave them the heads up before posting himself a few minutes later?  

They are tight with Jones and Gabe Davis so they had a lot of immediate details on how Davis' deal went down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 7

Just now, HappyDays said:

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

DQ was not underperforming. He was borderline dominant prior to injury

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Ugh. Great. 2 years of overpaid and overrated for a 32+ year old guy that won’t stay healthy for the 2 years. And we wonder why we get into cap trouble. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 6

No brainer. Great move. 

Now that's enough re-signing guys. Let everyone else go, not interested in bringing back anyone else. We need some fresh young faces on the d line and at WR. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Yea I haven’t been that excited about bringing DQ back either, but we do just need players under contract at the position this year. Not sure anyone in our price range would be a difference maker more than DQ. Who we select in the draft at the position will be the more crucial to advancing the talent level of the DLine

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

DQ was not underperforming. He was borderline dominant prior to injury

Yes, prior to injury. And now he's 32 playing one of the most physically taxing positions. Are we going to be able to count on him in January?

I don't mean to criticize every signing but I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. I thought after all the cuts last week that this was the plan and I was elated. But here we are signing a 32 year old nose tackle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes, prior to injury. And now he's 32 playing one of the most physically taxing positions. Are we going to be able to count on him in January?

I don't mean to criticize every signing but I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. I thought after all the cuts last week that this was the plan and I was elated. But here we are signing a 32 year old nose tackle.

Think it’s possible we bring in another one? 
Rotation and hope he’s healthy all year

if this is “up to” 16 million and a void year or two was added….

still a slight chance of a swing at DJ Reader. Likely 3 years 40 mil ballpark for his services. He was also injured, but has played at a very high level in playoff games. 2x against us…

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Ugh. Great. 2 years of overpaid and overrated for a 32+ year old guy that won’t stay healthy for the 2 years. And we wonder why we get into cap trouble. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. 

He’s  played excellent football. Can’t imagine how you can see this as anything but positive. Doesn’t mean the Bills won’t draft another DT but this was critical. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

DT’s age well and Jones was a monster before the torn pec.   Unfortunately he, along with almost everyone else on our defense played severely injured or missed the KC game. 

For me, I like the cuts and tough decisions.  I’m fine with re-upping Jones, AJ, Rapp, Lewis, Edwards on what all seem to be modest to fair deals (relatively speaking).  

Im now waiting to see what’s done at WR.  If they make an outside the box move and drastically improve WR… I like going young with Rapp/AJ and see Jones as a guy to pair with Oliver while (likely) draft picks at DT earn more snaps over these next 2 years. 

If we do nothing on Offense but draft a 2nd tier WR and then double dip on Day 3…

Seems a lot like “Hey Josh carry us undermanned into battle against Mahomes when it matters.. again”

And maybe it just is what it is.   We’ll see. 

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think we know that short of getting a big difference maker in the TJ Watt or Chris Jones category they aren't really making a big difference against Mahomes come playoff time regardless of who they add from the available free agents.     This offseason should be about elevating the passing offense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

The good news is we're covering holes that make WR in Round 1 more and more of a necessity. One of the two Starting Safety spots, the Starting 1T spot, and the DE3 spot/insurance to Von Miller.

The bad news is that if you're someone who's hoping for something substantial in FA from other teams - that's getting less and less likely. Both from a standpoint of where we're at financially and covering 3 of the major holes already in house.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Think it’s possible we bring in another one? 
Rotation and hope he’s healthy all year

if this is “up to” 16 million and a void year or two was added….

still a slight chance of a swing at DJ Reader. Likely 3 years 40 mil ballpark for his services. He was also injured, but has played at a very high level in playoff games. 2x against us…

"Rotation" doesn't mean that every player gets an equal amount of reps. The starters get the majority and the depth cycles in.

DJ Reader or Sheldon Rankins are not signing somewhere where they aren't starting. And we wouldn't pay their cost or what we paid for Daquan Jones for rotational depth.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

Don't agree with you on anything in this post. He had a torn pec that is a freak accident not an age issue. The Bills were never in cap trouble.  They haven't gotten rid of anybody that they didn't want to because of age and injury.

That said I applaud your contrarian post. It's fine to disagree with the board sentiment and with Beane or McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we know that short of getting a big difference maker in the TJ Watt or Chris Jones category they aren't really making a big difference against Mahomes come playoff time regardless of who they add from the available free agents.     This offseason should be about elevating the passing offense.

Yeah if we come away with a decent WR signing and a highly drafted WR I'm not going to complain about any of the other moves they've made. I'll admit my hesitancy with some of these signings is that I worry they are eating away at the cap space we should be using on a starting caliber WR, because that's what has played out the past couple offseasons. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The plan as usual is to use up all the cap on a mediocre roster, be bad at WR other than Diggs and watch Josh Allen perform endless miracles to make the team seem "good" and win a bunch of games but never sniff a Superbowl despite having the best QB ever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

The plan as usual is to use up all the cap on a mediocre roster, be bad at WR other than Diggs and watch Josh Allen perform endless miracles to make the team seem "good" and win a bunch of games but never sniff a Superbowl despite having the best QB ever.

We’re 1 day into the real offseason. Jeepers!!