Bills re-sign Cam Lewis

Process

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What is with this team's love affair with Cam Lewis. Keep keeping mediocrity. 

Are you expecting starting caliber talent at your 5th option at CB or backup safety?

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Lewis will replace Siran Neal backing up Taron Johnson in the slot... He can also play Safety in a pinch ... He also makes more Special Teams tackles than anyone on the team.

Good re-signing

That's exactly how I see it.  He is versatile that way.

• Like (+1) 1

Special teams, and back up to nickel and safety.  Solid piece.  Can compete for safety if needed.  Like the idea of grabbing a few guys day 3.  May avoid FA safety all together and go Dline and rb.  We will see.   

These deals kill me. We are so willing to waste a million here and there that could add up to a $10M difference maker. This role that Cam Lewis plays could be a rookie or min level contract. McD is stuck on keeping the familiar with all these guys. 

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

Are you expecting starting caliber talent at your 5th option at CB or backup safety?

No I am expecting a rookie or similar value contract. Let Lewis walk. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Justin Jefferson is happy about this signing 

Funny Lewis gets blasted for this all the time, because he was exactly where he should be, stuck to one of the best receivers in the league in coverage and he made a play on the ball. It took a generational grab in order for Jefferson to come down with that.

Lewis is pretty decent, honestly.

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

These deals kill me. We are so willing to waste a million here and there that could add up to a $10M difference maker. This role that Cam Lewis plays could be a rookie or min level contract. McD is stuck on keeping the familiar with all these guys. 

No I am expecting a rookie or similar value contract. Let Lewis walk. 

I guess you have beef with all 32 teams. They all make signings like this. You have to fill out your roster. They all sign cheap depth guys. They all value time in the system.

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not really a fan of this. Lewis and Rapp are not guys you sign on day zero of FA. If they sign elsewhere so be it, we can find cheaper options on day 3 of the draft or in late stage FA. McDermott is a little too obsessed with continuity at depth positions IMO.

we likely offered him the deal like 3 months ago, let him test the waters and he came back 

some of you are really hung up on specific timing of day 1 being important 

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm expecting to pay a 5th rounder 900k for the next 4 years rather than waste 4M on a perennial mediocre backup. You like Cam, I don't. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

💦

Is that up to four million with incentives…, 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not really a fan of this. Lewis and Rapp are not guys you sign on day zero of FA. If they sign elsewhere so be it, we can find cheaper options on day 3 of the draft or in late stage FA. McDermott is a little too obsessed with continuity at depth positions IMO.

Some people are not designed to be Happy.

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Is that up to four million with incentives…, 

We have to wait.  It's agent numbers.  I'm going to say his 2024 cap hit will be $1.6M or so and he won't cost anything much at all to 

cut in 2025.  I think that's ok for a 75% snap count ST player and a serviceable DB who can play multiple positions and familiar with the D.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm expecting to pay a 5th rounder 900k for the next 4 years rather than waste 4M on a perennial mediocre backup. You like Cam, I don't. 

Yeah, I get a lot of people don’t like him because he didn’t knock a pass down against the Vikings.

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

some of you are really hung up on specific timing of day 1 being important 

It's important because it means we didn't wait to see if cheaper options would be available in the draft and late stage FA. We have all of these day 3 picks not to mention UDFA, surely one of those players can fill Lewis's role. Or if not we could always sign a capable player in June. I just don't understand why we continue to prioritize this caliber of player versus letting the market develop and using all of that added up cap savings to pay a player that makes a meaningful difference to the team.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's important because it means we didn't wait to see if cheaper options would be available in the draft and late stage FA. We have all of these day 3 picks not to mention UDFA, surely one of those players can fill Lewis's role. Or if not we could always sign a capable player in June. I just don't understand why we continue to prioritize this caliber of player versus letting the market develop and using all of that added up cap savings to pay a player that makes a meaningful difference to the team.

This is about special teams is the answer. Now I am not about to tell you Cam is a great teams player in the way I did defending Taiwan Jones in the era when his roster presence wound some people up. However, with Matakevich and Neal gone the fact they brought Lewis back doesn't surprise me. He did actually play pretty well on defense last year when he got his chances too. 

I am less bothered about this deal than I am the Taylor Rapp one but I agree it is a strange one to prioritise day 1. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is about special teams is the answer. Now I am not about to tell you Cam is a great teams player in the way I did defending Taiwan Jones in the era when his roster presence wound some people up. However, with Matakevich and Neal gone the fact they brought Lewis back doesn't surprise me. He did actually play pretty well on defense last year when he got his chances too. 

I am less bothered about this deal than I am the Taylor Rapp one but I agree it is a strange one to prioritise day 1. 

Rapp bothered me much more as it’s a buyers market and he’d be low on my list 

this one I assume was just a “here’s your offer” sent back in late Feb and then he agreed today. I’m not sure it was much of a priority. It’s basically a hair above league minimum 

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I get a lot of people don’t like him because he didn’t knock a pass down against the Vikings.

Seriously Beast, you're better than that. Look at his entire career. He gets beat. He's a step slow. He's a last resort player we're overpaying on based on his limited contributions.  Beane could easily replace him (as a backup) with a much cheaper rookie. This is the year to completely rip the bandaid off. 

• Like (+1) 1

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Cam Lewis is one of the best bottom end depth players you can get in the league.. just his experience in McDermott scheme gives him so much flexibility and safety and slot corner and special teams

The back half of an NFL roster.. number 45-52... Is typically back half roster guys who get turned around yearly 

Having cohesion and he can make plays... Is certainly better than another teams 50th back end player who has to learn the system

Cam is liked in the locker room and by the staff.. and if a rookie beats him out they certainly won't keep cam over him

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Dislike 1

I am resigned to Cam Lewis re-signing.  ;) 

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Keep your own guys

Keeping and overpaying your guys is a major reason they're restructuring many of them 1-2 years down the road.  

Have to see more of the contract details, but for now...meh.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I want our roster to become more top heavy, not bottom heavy. I know you generally agree with that. I would rather risk a less capable player at special teams/DB depth if it means we have more cap space available to pay a true starting caliber EDGE or WR. So personally I wouldn't have signed any depth players until next week at the earliest. I want us actually rostering as many of our draft picks as possible, not trading away decent players like Alex Austin and Jack Anderson because their spots are taken by $2M AAV players. That money adds up and eventually takes away from the top of the roster.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Seriously Beast, you're better than that. Look at his entire career. He gets beat. He's a step slow. He's a last resort player we're overpaying on based on his limited contributions.  Beane could easily replace him (as a backup) with a much cheaper rookie. This is the year to completely rip the bandaid off. 

Nah, he really doesn’t get beat often. In fact, the style of defense the Bills play lends itself for their defensive backs to rarely get beat. I mean, this is the NFL and QB’s are going to complete passes to receivers. However I can only think of a handful of plays that have left me dissatisfied with our defensive back play the past couple of seasons. Lewis not knocking the ball down and the long pass in Miami last season that Hamlin and Johnson covered come to mind.

Edited by Beast

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

Nah, he really doesn’t get beat often. In fact, the style of defense the Bills play lends itself for their defensive backs to rarely get beat. I mean, this is the NFL and QB’s are going to complete passes to receivers. However I can only think of a handful of plays that have left me dissatisfied with our defensive back play the past couple of seasons. Lewis not knocking the ball down and the long pass in Miami last season that Hamlin and Johnson covered come to mind.

Last year he had a QBR against him of 87 and a 4.5% missed tackle rating.  People act like his Venus de Milo.

I'm waiting to see what the contract actually looks like.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Cam Lewis is a scrub and your !00% about McDermott and never trying to get better  and being obsessed with continuity

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, we can sign any FA out there and we're spending the early hours of FA on extensions and bringing back our own guys. 

Tells me we are NOT looking to be aggressive in the least. To the draft ..

Because we didn't sign a whale in the first 5 minutes of the tampering period??

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Cam Lewis is a scrub and your !00% about McDermott and never trying to get better  and being obsessed with continuity

Cam Lewis is solid depth with years of experience with the Bills on special teams and a backup DB. What you call a scrub. :lol:

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because we didn't sign a whale in the first 5 minutes of the tampering period??

Cam Lewis is solid depth with years of experience with the Bills on special teams and a backup DB. What you call a scrub. :lol:

This is shy KC keeps beating us,  go look at their cap situation and how many players making less than 2 million.  There is no team giving this guy 4 million,  until Beane stop overpaying on fringe players this team will not move ahead.  Levi Wallace would have been a better choice, the guy is scrub and could have easily been replaced by one of the many second or third day picks

53 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I think he's terrible.  Too small and always hurt.

I can't remember a time when we needed to rely on him where he didn't end up injured.  

Cam Lewis missed two preseason games due to injury in 2019. :doh: That's it.

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I want our roster to become more top heavy, not bottom heavy. I know you generally agree with that. I would rather risk a less capable player at special teams/DB depth if it means we have more cap space available to pay a true starting caliber EDGE or WR. So personally I wouldn't have signed any depth players until next week at the earliest. I want us actually rostering as many of our draft picks as possible, not trading away decent players like Alex Austin and Jack Anderson because their spots are taken by $2M AAV players. That money adds up and eventually takes away from the top of the roster.

Yea, I get that. But they are thin for special teams. I know some people just dismiss that. I don't personally and I know the Bills don't. I just think the terms of this deal as reported has almost no impact on their ability to build the top of their roster. 

• Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Brandon Beane's gotta be looking over his shoulder for you.

Or maybe your tears after they lose again in the playoffs because of signing the same scrubs. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Brandon Beane's gotta be looking over his shoulder for you.

I  agree 110% with Happy Days

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cam Lewis provides much more value than a day 3 draft pick or late stage FA.

He is potentially our starting safety but also backs up all secondary spots.  2 million a year is worth that IMO.

Agree as far as depth is concerned but if he's our starting safety opening day I'm gonna lose it.

Makes no sense to be signing scrubs that are not getting offers from anyone,  this is what I hate about Beane.  Same thing about signing the punter,  like why are you rushing to sign a punter who went the whole year without a job last season

As a UB Bulls fan and Buffalo Bills fan I wish the Bills moved on from Cam Lewis. Too many mistakes and I don’t think he is a very good NFL player this is one move I don’t agree with that Bills management made decisions wise to bring back. I would have moved on from

Cam Lewis in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo