Chuck Dickerson dead at 86

gomper

RIP big guy … he was a local icon in the early days of sports talk, bombastic, controversial and often wrong … but always an entertaining listen. Don’t think we would have won the super bowl against Washington even if he didn’t provide motivation for the hogs. I’m sure Wade Phillips and Glenn Parker send their condolences 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

My fondest memory is having a buddy in high school that would prank call into his show all the time. It was always a cat and mouse game to get past his screeners, get on air, get a few sentences into a "real" take and then go into the prank. Would send Coach off on a furious tirade. Was funny every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s the time whenever they need the most support came very close to losing the team in Buffalo

I don’t need my local media acting like cheerleaders either. There was some really really bad football going on at the time. Probably more of a reason they were in trouble, rather than Dickersons ranting 

• Like (+1) 1

Dickerson was a GREAT radio personality.  

I have fond memories of his very entertaining shows.   That show couldn't exist in WNY today because you can't REALLY be critical of the Bills and keep a job in local radio or tv.  

One of those great memories is hearing @Bill from NYC regularly calling into his postgame and expressing his Bills pride as we drove home from games.    

Dickerson was not a particularly successful coach but Casper Milquetoast.......as Dickerson used to call Marv Levy........had mostly sh!tty coaches anyway.

Those late 80's and 90's Bills were totally driven by an outstanding personnel department.

Chuck Knox brought a really good group of scouts with him from the Rams and they beget guys like Polian, Butler, AJ Smith and the great Dwight Adams.    Buddy Nix was a really good scout in his day too.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He and his sidekick (Art Wander) were both grade A aholes. 

Dickerson would say he only wanted to hear strong opinions, strongly held. 

In other words, people who wouldn’t compromise, and wouldn’t change their opinions, no matter what the facts were. 

In a microcosm, everything that’s wrong with the US today. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 7

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dickerson was a GREAT radio personality.  

I have fond memories of his very entertaining shows.   That show couldn't exist in WNY today because you can't REALLY be critical of the Bills and keep a job in local radio or tv.  

One of those great memories is hearing @Bill from NYC regularly calling into his postgame and expressing his Bills pride as we drove home from games.    

Dickerson was not a particularly successful coach but Casper Milquetoast.......as Dickerson used to call Marv Levy........had mostly sh!tty coaches anyway.

Those late 80's and 90's Bills were totally driven by an outstanding personnel department.

Chuck Knox brought a really good group of scouts with him from the Rams and they beget guys like Polian, Butler, AJ Smith and the great Dwight Adams.    Buddy Nix was a really good scout in his day too.   

Very sad news. Looking back those were fun times.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Who loves ya baby

I get why he wasn't the most popular personality in town but I'll be damned if his show wasn't an entertaining listen.  There's nothing like it on WGR nowadays.  In some ways it was soothing listening to his rants during some very bad drought era football.  Whether you love him or hate him he will always be a part of Buffalo Bills folklore.  RIP Coach 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Circle of life, well wishes to his family and friends, 

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Isn’t this the guy that had nothing good to say about the bills?

Your characterization is lazy at best.  You should probably stick to the milquetoast Sal reports.

As a radio host Chuck actually had good things to say about the Bills and football, but was also able to call out the Ralph BS and disfunction during the later 90s and early 2000s.  Then he added a layer of WWE flair to it, so that turned off a bunch of would be listeners. 

RIP

• Dislike 3

13 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

There wasn’t much good to say about them during Dickersons tenure 

Not true. Dickerson had nothing good to say about the Bills because Marv called him on his BS and fired him 3 days after the Super Bowl.  THEN he became an entertaining radio personality who continued to hold a grudge over his firing.

From a WAPO article dtd 1/29/92 from The AP:

A sampling of Dickerson's comments:

On tackle Jim Lachey: "Wears his jersey real well. Tapes down his sleeves to makes his guns look big. Real big. . . . A ballerina in a 310-pound body."

On tackle Joe Jacoby: "My type of guy. Neanderthal."

And on Bostic: "Ugly, like the rest of 'em.

Dickerson, 54, said the remarks about the Redskins offensive line were meant as a joke. They weren't taken that way by the Redskins, who said Dickerson's words helped motivate them to beat the Bills, 37-24.

After the game, Washington center Jeff Bostic said: "He gave us a great motivating speech. He was talking about the Hogs. He made a lot of really embarrassing remarks, coming from a coach. He made comments about each one of us individually. I wonder if he likes us now."

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Not true. Dickerson had nothing good to say about the Bills because Marv called him on his BS and fired him 3 days after the Super Bowl.  THEN he became an entertaining radio personality who continued to hold a grudge over his firing.

From a WAPO article dtd 1/29/92 from The AP:

A sampling of Dickerson's comments:

On tackle Jim Lachey: "Wears his jersey real well. Tapes down his sleeves to makes his guns look big. Real big. . . . A ballerina in a 310-pound body."

On tackle Joe Jacoby: "My type of guy. Neanderthal."

And on Bostic: "Ugly, like the rest of 'em.

Dickerson, 54, said the remarks about the Redskins offensive line were meant as a joke. They weren't taken that way by the Redskins, who said Dickerson's words helped motivate them to beat the Bills, 37-24.

After the game, Washington center Jeff Bostic said: "He gave us a great motivating speech. He was talking about the Hogs. He made a lot of really embarrassing remarks, coming from a coach. He made comments about each one of us individually. I wonder if he likes us now."

Ah, bullsh!t.:rolleyes:  

Yeah Bills apologists like to talk about the Dickerson comments having some great impact but the REAL firestorm that week was Bruce Smith announcing he was going to demand a trade after the SB and went off about how racist Bills fans were.      And then Thurman Thomas was a class A douche-nozzle at that time and blew off media day to be a jerk.  

That stuff is what really made it a miserable week leading up to the game for Bills fans and it was clear their heads were not in the game.

You could feel an implosion coming from those assh*les.   They were just an immature, unfocused bunch lead by a head coach who had no real control over them.

The story has been totally re-framed to make those Bills players/leaders out to be sympathetic characters.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/23/sports/super-bowl-xxvi-bills-stay-the-course-despite-detour-of-distractions.html

If you have exceeded your NY times free articles limits there are lots of similar articles from that week just type in Bruce Smith + racism + Super Bowl and you will be transported back to the REAL lead up to that SB.

Dickerson was scapegoated for Levy's failure to have any control over that team.   He was the only one he could afford to reprimand for their actions.   And NO he didn't call Dickerson out when he fired him.........he didn't do that until during Dickerson's radio career when he said Chuck "had been fired more times than a civil war cannon".:lol:

You never saw any of this sh!t in the "Four Falls of Buffalo" though. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I used to listen to Chuck back in the day on WGR and call in frequently. He was entertaining, to say the least. My memory is foggy but I eventually got PO'd with GR and "The Coach" over some continual mis-information and other crap, so I pulled off a big prank to show how they were quick to report news without fact checking.

I created an elaborate AP Press release and faxed it over to them and sure enough, they immediately went on air to report the " Breaking news".

Later during the broadcast ( After repeating the news numerous times) they admitted their information was not legit.

I also coined the phrase with Chuck " Speed Kills" and he began to use it.

Always got a kick out of that.

Anyways, thank you Coach for the entertainment ❤️

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

I used to listen to Chuck back in the day on WGR and call in frequently. He was entertaining, to say the least. My memory is foggy but I eventually got PO'd with GR and "The Coach" over some continual mis-information and other crap, so I pulled off a big prank to show how they were quick to report news without fact checking.

I created an elaborate AP Press release and faxed it over to them and sure enough, they immediately went on air to report the " Breaking news".

Later during the broadcast ( After repeating the news numerous times) they admitted their information was not legit.

I also coined the phrase with Chuck " Speed Kills" and he began to use it.

Always got a kick out of that.

Anyways, thank you Coach for the entertainment ❤️

What was the fake breaking news you sent them?