1.) DT Daquan Jones - Buffalo Bills

2.) DT Malcolm Roach - New Orleans Saints 

3.) S Alohi Gilman - LA Chargers

4.) WR Josh Reynolds - Detroit Lions

5.) DE Tyquan Lewis - Indianapolis Colts

6.) S Brandon Jones - Miami Dolphins

7.) WR Noah Brown - Houston Texans

8.) DT Austin Johnson - LA Chargers

Interesting to me to see them share half of their lists. Great breakdown of some realistic fits for us when it comes to money and scheme.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

• BillsFanForever19 changed the title to Cover 1's Top Free Agent Fits for the Bills
9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Sign Daquan and then add to the DL and S rooms in free agency.  Address remaining needs in the draft.

Exactly my plan. 

I think we can possibly get Daquan before he hits the market and then pick up a rotational DE and at least one S. I am also not against cutting Poyer and picking up two S's (and then drafting one in 3rd or 4th round)

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Sign Daquan and then add to the DL and S rooms in free agency.  Address remaining needs in the draft.

Hoping that we can get two or even three quality starters out of this years draft. 

Perhaps Kincaid and Torrence have opened McD's eyes to the fact that rookies can play in this league.

• Like (+1) 4

I can make a wish list of all the things I want to buy, too.  But alas, I have no money.

Same story with the Bills.  They ain't got no money this year.  As constructed, if they sign 1 free agent it'll be a miracle.  Draft & camp cuts here we come.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Exactly my plan. 

I think we can possibly get Daquan before he hits the market and then pick up a rotational DE and at least one S. I am also not against cutting Poyer and picking up two S's (and then drafting one in 3rd or 4th round)

With Hyde not coming back I think they will keep Poyer for this year. I agree that they need to draft a S as the team needs to get younger in the secondary. Have to figure Tre will either be cut or have to take a pay cut. I can't see him being a factor this year anyway coming off a 2nd major injury.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

They have to sign at least one WR in FA. It can be a cheaper, aging vet or a player on a prove it deal, but it can’t be nothing.

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Defense is going to get annihilated by good offenses regardless of who you sign or draft.   I’d go all offense in FA and Draft, only add defense vis UDFA’s and bargain bin FA’s excepting vet minimum.  Way too much money invested in this defense that folds every post season.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Exactly my plan. 

Spend whatever FA money we have on defense.  Jones & Greenard, maybe Chinn or Gilman....then 70% of the draft on offense...at least 2 wrs.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Defense is going to get annihilated by good offenses regardless of who you sign or draft.   I’d go all offense in FA and Draft, only add defense vis UDFA’s and bargain bin FA’s excepting vet minimum.  Way too much money invested in this defense that folds every post season.  

What offensive positions or players do you have in mind as FA targets?

13 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

To piggy back off this, the best, most consistent players we have on defense were not big FAs or first/second round picks.

Milano - R5

Bernard - R3

Hyde - Not a top tier FA

Poyer - Wasn’t even considered a good player when we signed him. 

Jones - Solid, but not a top tier FA

Benford - R6

Douglas - Really struggled early in his career, R3 pick traded. 
Dodson - UDFA 

Johnson - R4 

Epenesa - R2

Ed looked good last year, but took 2-3 years to develop.

Groot looks good. 

Edmunds took 2-3 years to develop into a game manager MLB. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Anthony's Top Bills Targets:

1.) DE Jonathan Greenard - Houston Texans

2.) DT Sheldon Rankins - Houston Texans

3.) DT Daquan Jones - Buffalo Bills

4.) S Jeremy Chinn - Carolina Panthers

5.) WR Noah Brown - Houston Texans

7.) DT A'Shawn Robinson - New York Giants 

8.) DT Malcolm Roach - New Orleans Saints

Erik's Top Bills Targets:

Interesting to me to see them share half of their lists. Great breakdown of some realistic fits for us when it comes to money and scheme.

Chinn or Brandon Jones. Either would be a nice pickup.  DT Roach seems good too 

I think: 

- Cam Lewis is back to complete for the FS job

- Poona Ford is back on a slight pay bump from last season, will actually be on the active roster, starter if Jones does not return

- Daquan Jones is back if he will take a deal that reflects a player in his early 30’s coming off a season mostly lost to injury.

- Ty Dodson tests the market, ultimately returns on a 1 year deal

- TM44 returns on a 1 year deal

- Dane Jackson returns

- Shaq Lawson returns in August

- AJE leaves to start elsewhere 

- Floyd leaves to get paid elsewhere

- Hyde ‘retires’ 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think: 

- Poona Ford is back on a slight pay bump from last season, will actually be on the active roster, starter if Jones does not return

- Daquan Jones is back if he will take a deal that reflects a player in his early 30’s coming off a season mostly lost to injury.

- Dane Jackson returns

- Hyde ‘retires’ 

Poona was absent even when he was on the field. Sorry I would not bring him back. Instead I'd go for a guy like Montravious Adams or Armon Watts to add to the rotation, granted I haven't really researched all UFAs this year so am sure there are other guys out there. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScotSHO said:

I can make a wish list of all the things I want to buy, too.  But alas, I have no money.

Same story with the Bills.  They ain't got no money this year.  As constructed, if they sign 1 free agent it'll be a miracle.  Draft & camp cuts here we come.

You do know that it won’t take much to break even, let alone have positive cap space, right?

- Restructure Allen (Guaranteed to happen)

- Extend Dawkins, Douglas, Johnson (All nearly guaranteed to happen)

- Oliver/Milano/Knox restructure (safe bets)

- Morse/White/Hardy pay cuts (safe bets)

Almost no reason to stress about the cap. 

They can’t go out and get a 20m per guy, but theyll be able to get their 1.7m FAs they love and maybe a 2nd wave FA vet signing. 

• Disagree 1

• No one 30 or older.  I wouldn't even go for 29 year old players.
  • No one who missed 50% or more games last year.

The list should start with that group of players.  Then you look at production.  The Bills have to get out of the business of old players this year.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You do know that it won’t take much to break even, let alone have positive cap space, right?

- Restructure Allen (Guaranteed to happen)

- Extend Dawkins, Douglas, Johnson (All nearly guaranteed to happen)

- Oliver/Milano/Knox restructure (safe bets)

- Morse/White/Hardy pay cuts (safe bets)

Almost no reason to stress about the cap. 

They can’t go out and get a 20m per guy, but theyll be able to get their 1.7m FAs they love and maybe a 2nd wave FA vet signing. 

Cutting Morse could not be wise. The OL is FINALLY good.  Re-do his deal instead 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Poona was absent even when he was on the field. Sorry I would not bring him back. Instead I'd go for a guy like Montravious Adams or Armon Watts to add to the rotation, granted I haven't really researched all UFAs this year so am sure there are other guys out there. 

No he wasn’t, his last 4-5 appearances he was pretty solid IMO. It’s been talked about how vastly different his role with Buffalo was compared to what he was asked to do in Seattle. 

They could go a different route, but Poona would be pretty cheap to bring back. I’d bring him in over Settle or Phillips. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Cutting Morse could not be wise. The OL is FINALLY good.  Re-do his deal instead 

Pay cut, not cut cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No he wasn’t, his last 4-5 appearances he was pretty solid IMO. It’s been talked about how vastly different his role with Buffalo was compared to what he was asked to do in Seattle. 

They could go a different route, but Poona would be pretty cheap to bring back. I’d bring him in over Settle or Phillips. 

Pay cut, not cut cut. 

My bad!  Misread it! 

• Like (+1) 1

Offense wise we are in low key good shape. 

I’d like to see David Edwards back, but I can see him getting a chance to start. I don’t think we will have an issue replacing the Fat TE position. 

#2 RBs are easy to find, he’ll need to be a good pass blocker. Not worried.

#2 QBs typically suck, I can see it being Kyle Allen or Sam Darnold. Not worrried. 

Outside WR, like everyone else, give me a first round pick. Sign a vet who can handle the WR4 *cough* Isaiah Hodgins *cough*

We have a bunch of WR 5/6 candidates who were on the PS last year that can play special teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

It seems pretty unanimous—two WRs, a DL and a S in first four rounds aside from any Beane specials at DL snd S in FA.  Need some low cost four year rookie contracts at S and DL who can hopefully take over for the one to two year FA vets.  That’ll free up cap space which is what everyone agrees is the name of the game.  

And, from what I’ve heard here and elsewhere there are DL and S who can be had in the top four rounds and could give us that two year cushion (their 3rd and 4th years).  Gets us younger…

• Like (+1) 2

Should probably re-sign AJ and let him start on the right side, Groot on the left side and Von rotating in for passing downs with all $120M of his albatross contract.  Re-sign Shaq for the rotation.

I like re-signing Daquan and adding some cheaper FAs and Day 2 DT

Is Hyde gone for sure? The QB role of him an Poyer in the back of the D will be hard to replace immediately. We should draft a mid-round S to learn from him.

I'd throw in Edwards too. Brasy played alot of 6 ol and they were able to run very well with it , especially towards the end of season, finally felt like we could run even when the D knows it's coming and Edwards was great in that role 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think: 

- Dane Jackson returns

- Hyde ‘retires’ 

TM doesn’t play on defense and his ST play doesn’t even warrant the vet minimum. 

It drives me nuts that we have older, “elite” ST players but don’t have close to elite ST play. Have younger players play ST. 

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Should probably re-sign AJ and let him start on the right side, Groot on the left side and Von rotating in for passing downs with all $120M of his albatross contract.  Re-sign Shaq for the rotation.

I like re-signing Daquan and adding some cheaper FAs and Day 2 DT

Is Hyde gone for sure? The QB role of him an Poyer in the back of the D will be hard to replace immediately. We should draft a mid-round S to learn from him.

No, but there are a few signs he wouldn't be coming back.

For one, his contract is over. With our cap situation, throwing money at a skill position player in his mid-30s is typically not a great investment.

Two, there are legitimate reasons to think that he's going to retire. His wife put out a message on social media thanking Bills mafia right around the end of the season. He took a bad injury that might seriously affect his long term health back in 2022, and he took a neck stinger at the end of the year that had a lot of fans holding his breath. I would not blame him in the slightest for setting a hard line in the sand on what he thinks is worth playing for and retiring for his health if he doesn't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

What offensive positions or players do you have in mind as FA targets?

I don’t have any names specifically but for sure we need to add at 2 WR that can get open and catch the gd ball.  We need a RB that can catch the ball in the RZ.  We need a kicker that can consistently make FGs.  We need a starting center to take over for Morse next year.  We need better backup OL.

I doubt it would ever happen, but If some scrub team was willing to do a sign and trade where we could rework the contracts of Knox, Von, and Diggs and have a minimal cap hit, I’d offer them our 1st for their 3rd or 4th.

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd like to see a list of WR Trade targets we could realistically afford 

Doubtful any.

With the situation we're in cap wise, we don't want to be taking on contracts that have already been written. 

We'll be Drafting guys and/or signing guys that we can fully structure the contracts to our liking on. But I don't see giving up Draft picks and taking on someone else's vet contract at the same time.

You shouldn't want that anyways. Greatly decreases your chance of a 1st Round WR. I don't see him giving up a high-mid Round pick for a solid WR and cap space we need to fill other holes and then turn around and use the 1 on another WR too. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills can't afford to keep Davis, how do they afford to sign a FA who is an upgrade over Davis. 

The truth is Beane has been trying to build a WR group from castoffs and lower draft picks since he got here.  The only except was the trade for Diggs; although it could be argued that he should have kept the pick and drafted Jefferson.  Regardless, it's  time for Beane to step up and truly invest in the position.  The only way to upgrade the position given our budget is to draft a WR in the 1st rd (or with our 1st pick if we trade down) and draft a 2nd WR with our 4th rd pick or one of our two 5th rd picks.  

We should cut Harty as well.  We should go into next season with Diggs, 1st Draft pick and Shakir as our top 3 and then let Shorter, the 4/5th rd pick, and Hamler battle it out in camp for the last 2 slots.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

If the Bills can't afford to keep Davis, how they afford to sign a FA who is an upgrade over Davis. 

The truth is Beane has been trying to build a WR group from castoffs and lower draft picks since he got here.  The only except was the trade for Diggs; although it could be argued that he should have kept the pick and drafted Jefferson.  Regardless, it's  time for Beane to step up and truly invest in the position.  The only way to upgrade the position given our budget is to draft a WR in the 1st rd (or with our 1st pick if we trade down) and draft a 2nd WR with our 4th rd pick or one of our two 5th rd picks.  

We should cut Harty as well.  We should go into next season with Diggs, 1st Draft pick and Shakir as our top 3 and then let Shorter, the 4/5th rd pick, and Hamler battle it out in camp for the last 2 slots.  

That's why you don't see a big time FA WR on the list. 

Guys like Noah Brown and Josh Reynolds are inexpensive veterans who have done some good things and have some upside coming here and playing with Josh.

But they aren't going to be WR2. Or come close to the cost of Gabe Davis. They'd be replacing guys like Sherfield and Harty and surely, couldn't provide less. 

I like Noah Brown quite a bit. Young, had 1 year with an actual QB and did some good things - but was limited working behind Nico Collins and Tank Dell.

Could end up being a steal. Partnered with Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and a Round 1 WR like Thomas Jr., Legette, Franklin, or Coleman - we could be in real good shape.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Anthony's Top Bills Targets:

1.) DE Jonathan Greenard - Houston Texans

2.) DT Sheldon Rankins - Houston Texans

3.) DT Daquan Jones - Buffalo Bills

4.) S Jeremy Chinn - Carolina Panthers

5.) WR Noah Brown - Houston Texans

7.) DT A'Shawn Robinson - New York Giants 

8.) DT Malcolm Roach - New Orleans Saints

Erik's Top Bills Targets:

Give me:

DT DaQuan

WR Noah Brown

Then grab some combo of another DT a DE and a S. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How WR isn't #1 on everyone's list is crazy.

It kinda' speaks to your thread about how people aren't fully appreciating having a Josh Allen.

Some fans are so concerned with patching "on paper" holes that they don't really care if that means putting another ton of hard miles on Josh Allen.

The main objective of an organization with a truly elite young QB should be to make sure you do everything you can to maximize his ability.

They've tried the "other" approach for the last 3 seasons and it's only buried them in cap debt.

Probably time to try to put an offense around Allen that can score 35 points per game and at the same time get cap healthier and much younger on defense.

Maybe that means they are on a 2 year re-tool instead of running it back to a re-match with the Chiefs next season...........but then again maybe they do the right thing and STILL surprise and play better than expected on defense and finally break thru.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.