2024 WR Draft Class

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Cosell's statements about Adonai Mitchell are pretty eye opening 

Pulled this shot of WR prospect rankings from the Cosell segment that...differs in some ways from popular fan sentiment:

image.png.adb63ed79f3993510dc70bcf28f9c1e0.png

Worthy and Baker ahead of Mitchell and Franklin? That's interesting, for sure.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

I also am not a Kinchens fan, but he does have a coaching connections to the Bills with our DB coach being his secondary coach last year at Miami. He was also recruited to Miami by Manny Diaz - a close McDermott friend. We have already drafted Diaz’s defensive guys before in Rousseau and Jaquan Johnson. Charlie Campbell also had this to say about the Bills and Kinchens yesterday.

https://walterfootball.com/nfl-hot-press-bills-considering-safety-help-in-2024-nfl-draft.php

Pair that with Beane’s comment yesterday:

https://www.audacy.com/wcmf/sports/buffalo-bills/what-brandon-beane-will-look-for-if-bills-need-new-starting-safety

And with that, Kinchens combine is right up their alley lol

Well given he didn't do well in drills and now isn't a 2nd round pick (by Charlie's calculations) if they wanted to pick him at #100 I wouldn't hate it haha. 

16 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Pulled this shot of WR prospect rankings from the Cosell segment that...differs in some ways from popular fan sentiment:

That also differs wildly from what Cosell himself was saying regarding Mitchell 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't like Kinchens tape either. He is my SF5 at the moment. I know a lot have him higher but he isn't for me.

Well.. to be fair .. you had him as the first Safety picked in your mock a couple of weeks back … around 40 odd?  

Got a feeling we won’t see him in your second though unless you are thinking about a third round?

19 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Those are CBS sports rankings, so not Cosells. Trapasso is the lead guy there and likes to differ from consensus to try and stand out (had Mason Rudolph as a first rounder in 2018). He has Baker as his third ranked WR in the draft.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-combine-ranking-top-five-draft-prospects-at-every-offensive-position-including-surprise-at-wr1/

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well.. to be fair .. you had him as the first Safety picked in your mock a couple of weeks back … around 40 odd?  

Got a feeling we won’t see him in your second though unless you are thinking about a third round?

I hadn't got to the tape of the safeties at that point. My first mock is more about playing out team needs and finding prospects that fit than it is an evaluation of every player within it.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Everything after the first 3 is interchangeable depending on the source. 

Watching the Combine today, Bucky Brooks' and NFL Network's ranking had Keon Coleman at 4 and Brian Thomas Jr. at 5, for example.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hadn't got to the tape of the safeties at that point. My first mock is more about playing put team needs and finding prospects that fit than it is an evaluation of every player within it.

A couple of guys getting paid to write about the draft have had him going in the first.. even seen one who mocked him to the Bills at 28. … Mel Kiper has him as his No 2 safety …

He will be lucky to go in the Top 100 now ..so I expect a bit of quiet reevaluation by some of these guys …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Take a look. With your infatuation with Derrick Henry, I think you're going to like what you see. 

If we do go RB, it's going to be a 220+ guy with a bruising, in between the tackles style to compliment Cook. Allen is 245 lbs. of muscle and power.

Unfortunately, I don't believe he'll be there when we consider RB. Especially if he has a good showing tomorrow. But prognostications on him go anywhere from Round 2 to Round 5 - so who knows?

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-rb-braelon-allen-wisconsin-combine-draft-rumors-next-derrick-henry-free-agency

This is what I wrote in the Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024 thread back on Feb 3rd:

I'd like to draft Braelon Allen, the Wisconsin rb. He's an absolute tank, and made for goal-line situations.

And in the What are your feelings about James Cook as RB1 thread on Feb 7th:

I was hoping Braelon Allen would last till our 3rd rounder, but that is unlikely. Folks will want WR, DT, and S before RB; I would not pass on him at #99.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Everything after the first 3 is interchangeable depending on the source. 

Watching the Combine today, Bucky Brooks' and NFL Network's ranking had Keon Coleman at 4 and Brian Thomas Jr. at 5, for example.

Agree. I have spoken in the last week to respected evaluators in the twittersphere, one or two lesser known talky heady types, and two guys who have scouted in the league (one who still does). 

Of the 8 opinions I have sought on this class all but one had the consensus top three as the consensus top 3 (and the outlier had Brian Thomas #3 and Odunze #4). 

Here are the names I have heard as the "next guy" after the top 3:

Brian Thomas Jnr x3 (including the one who has him 3rd)

Keon Coleman x2

Adonai Mitchell x1

Xavier Worthy x1

Troy Franklin x1

I was trying to find someone else who, like me, has Xavier Legette as their #4. I was unsuccessful. I found one guy who had him #5 and two who had him #6 (although also one guy who had him #12). 

Basically it appears to me that it will be the top 3. Then either Thomas or Coleman will be the 4th guy. But after that.... all bets are off. The order is all over the place. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

This is what I wrote in the Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024 thread back on Feb 3rd:

I'd like to draft Braelon Allen, the Wisconsin rb. He's an absolute tank, and made for goal-line situations.

And in the What are your feelings about James Cook as RB1 thread on Feb 7th:

I was hoping Braelon Allen would last till our 3rd rounder, but that is unlikely. Folks will want WR, DT, and S before RB; I would not pass on him at #99.

A 3rd is still a little high for me as much as I love him. 

Not that he's not worth it. Just I don't believe we can afford to use a 3rd on a 2nd RB. 

If Beane were to do it, I wouldn't be upset with it. But I kind of hope he's available as a trade up from Round 4, as the highest price we'd pay if he were to last that long.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I have spoken in the last week to respected evaluators in the twittersphere, one or two lesser known talky heady types, and two guys who have scouted in the league (one who still does). 

Of the 8 opinions I have sought on this class all but one had the consensus top three as the consensus top 3 (and the outlier had Brian Thomas #3 and Odunze #4). 

Keon Coleman x2

Adonai Mitchell x1

Xavier Worthy x1

Troy Franklin x1

I was trying to find someone else who, like me, has Xavier Legette as their #4. I was unsuccessful. I found one guy who had him #5 and two who had him #6 (although also one guy who had him #12). 

Basically it appears to me that it will be the top 3. Then either Thomas or Coleman will be the 4th guy. But after that.... all bets are off. The order is all over the place. 

I totally agree with you about everything here.

I believe Thomas and Coleman will be the 4th and 5th guys off the board. Coleman is really slept on by posters on this board. He seems to be almost universally ranked higher than Franklin everywhere but here.

I also personally have Legette as much higher than most. To me, outside of maybe Thomas - he's my favorite. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Keon Coleman x2

Adonai Mitchell x1

Xavier Worthy x1

Troy Franklin x1

Don't you get the sense that Thomas is LONG gone by 28, and potentially Coleman and Mitchell are also gone? Franklin has a chance to make it, and I'd be super happy with him. Worthy I don't like as much, but obviously NFL evaluators see him at least as a consideration. There is also McConkey and Roman Wilson as non-prototype #1s, plus Baker and Polk and others who will likely go early day two. I want the Bills to come away with one of the obvious X-receiver guys, which most likely has to happen at 28.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

A 3rd is still a little high for me as much as I love him. 

Not that he's not worth it. Just I don't believe we can afford to use a 3rd on a 2nd RB. 

If Beane were to do it, I wouldn't be upset with it. But I kind of hope he's available as a trade up from Round 4, as the highest price we'd pay if he were to last that long.

I totally agree with you about everything here.

I believe Thomas and Coleman will be the 4th and 5th guys off the board. Coleman is really slept on by posters on this board. He seems to be almost universally ranked higher than Franklin everywhere but here.

I also personally have Legette as much higher than most. To me, outside of maybe Thomas - he's my favorite. 

Responding to both comments: I agree, really, about Allen, including the sentiment about not being upset if Beane pulled the trigger. That's why I have also discussed Isaiah Davis and Kendall Milton as backs you can get later who are bigger. Milton would be someone you can probably get in the 7th. I just don't think Allen will last till the 4th.

The WRs I like best for the Bills early outside the unreachable top 3 are Thomas, Mitchell, Franklin, and Legette. There's a bunch more I like a bit later, and I'd be surprised if Thomas is there at #28. At the moment, Legette is the only one I feel pretty confident will be there at #28. The others might be.

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Don't you get the sense that Thomas is LONG gone by 28, and potentially Coleman and Mitchell are also gone? Franklin has a chance to make it, and I'd be super happy with him. 

So here is where I am.... once you get out of the top 10 I am not sure how many receiver landing spots there are. 

Vikings at 11? Obviously not. Jefferson and Addison.

Broncos at 12? Put the house on a QB.

Vegas at 13? Too many other needs and have Devonte.

Saints at 14? Too many other needs.

Colts at 15? Possible. But Pittman on the tag lessens the chance.

Seattle at 16? No chance. DK, Lockett and JSN.

Jacksonville at 17? Yes. First receiver spot outside the top 10 for me.

Cincy at 18? Not with Higgins tagged, no.

LA at 19? Nope. Kupp and Nacua.

Steelers at 20? Nope. Pickens and Johnson.

Dolphins at 21? Nope. Waddle and Hill.

Eagles at 22? Very outside chance if they are trading AJ Brown. Otherwise, no.

Texans at 23? Possible. Think they more likely go vet route though and use this pick on defense.

Cowboys at 24? Yes. They could go OL but I think they are in the WR market. 

Pack at 25? Nope. They have a nice young bunch.

Tampa at 26? Possible if Evans walks. No chance if he doesn't.

Cardinals at 27? Almost certainly taken a WR in the top 10 so no.

It is definite the top 3 are gone. The likelihood is Thomas is also gone. I think one more guy could be too. But I reckon 6 in the first (which is the all time record) is about where it will land. What the Bills have to be wary of is a team (Kansas City from #32 or Carolina from #33) coming up and jumping them for that 5th or 6th guy.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Don't you get the sense that Thomas is LONG gone by 28, and potentially Coleman and Mitchell are also gone? Franklin has a chance to make it, and I'd be super happy with him. Worthy I don't like as much, but obviously NFL evaluators see him at least as a consideration. There is also McConkey and Roman Wilson as non-prototype #1s, plus Baker and Polk and others who will likely go early day two. I want the Bills to come away with one of the obvious X-receiver guys, which most likely has to happen at 28.  

It could change after the Combine, but I don't think anyone is really projecting Mitchell to go in the first 27 picks. The highest I've seen him so far is like 30-32. I do think he and Coleman are two guys where people have relatively low expectations for the Combine so they could surprise people and move up the boards. Could definitely go the other way too though.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think his top 4 are spot on. I'm leaning toward Beane trading up to get one of those 4.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That also differs wildly from what Cosell himself was saying regarding Mitchell 

I don’t believe that was Cosell’s picks on that screen.  I believe it was from a different source.   He was not thrilled about Coleman but loved Mitchell and this shows the reverse.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don’t believe that was Cosell’s picks on that screen.  I believe it was from a different source.   He was not thrilled about Coleman but loved Mitchell and this shows the reverse.

I think someone upthread identified them with a list from CBS sports. They definitely are not Cosell's ranking of the receivers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't like Kinchens tape either. He is my SF5 at the moment. I know a lot have him higher but he isn't for me.

Yeah as a Hurricanes fan I don't want either of Kinchens or Williams.   Kinchens is all instinct and no physical traits and I question his ability to hold up to the punishment.   Great character guy but not what you want from a starting point as a prospect.    Williams is slow as balls........as I predicted he ran poorly.........but that lack of speed meshes well with his lack of instinct, intelligence and discipline.   Total dumba$$ of a player who thinks he's a lot better than he is........arrives late to the play and then yanks a face mask or hits the guy out of bounds in frustration.   If he puts his mind to it and takes pro coaching he has the physical traits to be an NFL LB but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Keon Coleman is excited by the idea of learning under Stefon Diggs:

Coleman has really grown on me this offseason. Don't want to read too much into a short interview but it seems he has the alpha mentality that a WR with his skill set needs to be successful. Still very young too, turning 21 in May. I think the Bills could really like him. Physical traits, young, high football character, fills a need. He fits the 1st round profile.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I could see the Bills viewing a tier at Thomas/Mitchell/Coleman/Franklin.  And if the draft gets into the 20s with two of those 4 gone, Beane may rightfully get nervous.  He may have to move up a bit.

GunnerBilll's outline of teams doesn't look like it would make Beane (or me) comfortable.  You would have Cowboys/Tampa ahead and KC and Car poised to make a move up and snipe us.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I could see the Bills viewing a tier at Thomas/Mitchell/Coleman/Franklin.  And if the draft gets into the 20s with two of those 4 gone, Beane may rightfully get nervous.  He may have to move up a bit.

GunnerBilll's outline of teams doesn't look like it would make Beane (or me) comfortable.  You would have Cowboys/Tampa ahead and KC and Car poised to make a move up and snipe us.

That is why I feel that if they feel there is a top 4 per say, don't wait. Trade up and grab one 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

They will be damned if they do, and damned if they don’t move up. Some people will say he would have fallen, and we paid too much. Sit still and wait, and people will give you hell because KC or somebody jumped you and got your guy. Just get a game changing stud. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Coleman has really grown on me this offseason. Don't want to read too much into a short interview but it seems he has the alpha mentality that a WR with his skill set needs to be successful. Still very young too, turning 21 in May. I think the Bills could really like him. Physical traits, young, high football character, fills a need. He fits the 1st round profile.

My thing with Keon is I think you are drafting Gabe Davis again. He is ptobably a better version if Gabe Davis but that is the style of receiver you are getting. A guy who really is going to be 80% downfield routes, who isn't a great separator and who isn't as good as you want him to be in terms of contested catch %.

I think he has better hands than Gabe, uses his body a bit better and I think he will run a bit faster (the Bills you will recall were quite pleased Gabe timed slightly slower than expected at mid 4.5s). I expect Keon to be under 4.50 but let's see. High 4.4s. 

So he likely is an upgrade on Davis but I think he is the same style of receiver again. I think we need a bit more suddeness and separation. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

They will be damned if they do, and damned if they don’t move up. Some people will say he would have fallen, and we paid too much. Sit still and wait, and people will give you hell because KC or somebody jumped you and got your guy. Just get a game changing stud. 

Lately I've been 50/50 with the FO.  Didn't see it as necessary for Elam, loved it for Kincaid (and ancient history but loved it for J Allen).   I'll be on board this year for a move up if they go WR, I'd be excited.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

My thing with Keon is I think you are drafting Gabe Davis again. He is ptobably a better version if Gabe Davis but that is the style of receiver you are getting. A guy who really is going to be 80% downfield routes, who isn't a great separator and who isn't as good as you want him to be in terms of contested catch %.

I think he has better hands than Gabe, uses his body a bit better and I think he will run a bit faster (the Bills you will recall were quite pleased Gabe timed slightly slower than expected at mid 4.5s). I expect Keon to be under 4.50 but let's see. High 4.4s. 

So he likely is an upgrade on Davis but I think he is the same style of receiver again. I think we need a bit more suddeness and separation. 

I agree to an extent but FSUs offense was really weird this year. I think Coleman has a more advanced route tree than he showed it’s just FSU sent Coleman and Wilson a ton vertically almost force feeding those two despite being 13-0 in the regular season. They basically abandoned in between the hashes a ton this season when they had other dynamic players like Jaheim Bell 

I think Coleman is a lot better than Davis as a prospect just was overhyped earlier in the year 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I think Coleman is a lot better than Davis as a prospect just was overhyped earlier in the year 

Yea I have a high 2 on Keon, I had a mid 3 on Gabe so I do think he is clearly better but I think you are drafting the same style of player. Wouldn't be my ideal outcome.

Coleman is definitely a sleeper pick.  He’s being a bit overlooked due to being a “go up and get it” receiver.  He was one of the better WRs in the country last year and could end up being one of the top WR in the draft when it’s all said and done.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Davis has an alpha bone in his body. He gave up on routes and catches here at an alarming rate. He got bullied at the catch point in contested situations. He almost never fought through contact with the ball in his hands. Davis has been a pure over the top WR and not a great one at that. I don't see the comparison personally.

I'm sure his skills will mostly shine on vertical routes, but I could also see him getting fed a bunch of quick slants with his ability to box out defenders and fight through contact. He immediately profiles as a 3rd down and red zone weapon IMO, and still has plenty of room to develop.

Wouldn't you say the same thing about Legette? More vertical explosiveness than down to down separation, right?

9 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Coleman is definitely a sleeper pick.  He’s being a bit overlooked due to being a “go up and get it” receiver.  He was one of the better WRs in the country last year and could end up being one of the top WR in the draft when it’s all said and done.

I actually think him and Mitchell are prob the two WRs they would take at 28. Coleman fits their type of player off the field. Good kid, solid football player, good leader. Had the potential to replace Diggs as the # 1 in a year or two 

My $.02 worth on Coleman depends on the minute you ask me.  I like his size, power, hands and he is pretty fluid for a guy his size.  But then, he really just doesn’t get open much.  Part of me doesn’t want the Bills to draft him, but I don’t really want to face him, either.

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

My $.02 worth on Coleman depends on the minute you ask me.  I like his size, power, hands and he is pretty fluid for a guy his size.  But then, he really just doesn’t get open much.  Part of me doesn’t want the Bills to draft him, but I don’t really want to face him, either.

A lot of boom/bust with Coleman 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think he's presently in a similar mold as Gabe (in terms of not being a burner but still giving you most of his value on vertical routes) but simply better; like I think he'll thrive on backshoulder type throws that Gabe wasn't particularly good at in addition to being a weapon down the field. Question is if you can take his youth and develop him/take the elusiveness that he's shown after the catch/on punt returns and unlock some stuff that Gabe unfortunately never did.

I think he's one of very few options beyond the top 3 WRs where there's a fairly reasonable track to him turning into a #1 WR. A lot of risk if his contested catches don't translate though.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think Davis has an alpha bone in his body. He gave up on routes and catches here at an alarming rate. He got bullied at the catch point in contested situations. He almost never fought through contact with the ball in his hands. Davis has been a pure over the top WR and not a great one at that. I don't see the comparison personally.

I'm sure his skills will mostly shine on vertical routes, but I could also see him getting fed a bunch of quick slants with his ability to box out defenders and fight through contact. He immediately profiles as a 3rd down and red zone weapon IMO, and still has plenty of room to develop.

Wouldn't you say the same thing about Legette? More vertical explosiveness than down to down separation, right?

I don't get very wrapped up in the kind of "player X is an alpha" type stuff. I am not sure it really amounts to anything but others may feel differently about that. 

Agree he is going to give you better use of his body on slants and other quick in breaking routes. He will body defenders out better than Gabe but you are running the same route you ran with Gabe to do that. He will just do it better. 

I do think Coleman would be an upgrade. He just wouldn't be a change of approach IMO.

39 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I do think he's presently in a similar mold as Gabe (in terms of not being a burner but still giving you most of his value on vertical routes) but simply better; like I think he'll thrive on backshoulder type throws that Gabe wasn't particularly good at in addition to being a weapon down the field. Question is if you can take his youth and develop him/take the elusiveness that he's shown after the catch/on punt returns and unlock some stuff that Gabe unfortunately never did.

I think he's one of very few options beyond the top 3 WRs where there's a fairly reasonable track to him turning into a #1 WR. A lot of risk if his contested catches don't translate though.

Yea don't disagree with any of that. Is he the type of #1 receiver you want for Josh Allen and this offense though? That is where I still need persuading.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't get very wrapped up in the kind of "player X is an alpha" type stuff. I am not sure it really amounts to anything but others may feel differently about that. 

Agree he is going to give you better use of his body on slants and other quick in breaking routes. He will body defenders out better than Gabe but you are running the same route you ran with Gabe to do that. He will just do it better. 

I do think Coleman would be an upgrade. He just wouldn't be a change of approach IMO.

Yea don't disagree with any of that. Is he the type of #1 receiver you want for Josh Allen and this offense though? That is where I still need persuading.

I am extremely sick of WR’s that can’t separate.

Coleman may be a great player. I think he’s a nice prospect. But he isn’t going to demand teams get out of man coverage. 

He’s going to beat man sometimes when “nobody’s open.” But teams will still run a lot of man.

I want a WR2 who dictates zone that opens up Kincaid and Shakir. 

• Agree 2