2024 WR Draft Class

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  The more I watch of the prospects, I’m not enamored with any of the WRs that will be there when we pick (I’m in the camp that thinks Thomas Jr and Troy Franklin will be gone by 28).  I view Mitchell, Coleman, Leggette, worthy, McConkey and the rest as rd 2 guys.  Problem being, I think all of those guys will be gone within the first 10 picks of rd 2. Trading down a few spots and getting more picks and options for maneuverability later in the draft makes a lot of sense (if Thomas and Franklin are gone). 

Pretty much. I mean, I think there is a decent chance that the Bills get a crack at a guy. The Bears, Patriots, Commanders, Giants, Titans, Falcons, Broncos, Raiders, Seahawks and potentially Vikings all have uncertainty about QB and I expect a bunch of them will try to draft one within the first few rounds. There are almost certainly 2-3 OTs taken in the top 15. 

I imagine that Harrison, Nabers,  Oduze and Thomas will all be gone by the time the Bills. If one of them makes it, you spring to the podium and thank your lucky stars.

I would like Franklin, would probably be a good fit, but if at 28 and there is Franklin, Coleman, Adonai Mitchell, Keon Coleman, Xavier Worthy, McConkey, Devontez Walker, Polk, Pearsall and Wilson, and Bills aren't struck dead in awe with any of them I'd rather see us move back into the second round for them, or take a massively dropped DE or S and then spend some of those 5ths to get into the middle of the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Pretty much. I mean, I think there is a decent chance that the Bills get a crack at a guy. The Bears, Patriots, Commanders, Giants, Titans, Falcons, Broncos, Raiders, Seahawks and potentially Vikings all have uncertainty about QB and I expect a bunch of them will try to draft one within the first few rounds. There are almost certainly 2-3 OTs taken in the top 15. 

I imagine that Harrison, Nabers,  Oduze and Thomas will all be gone by the time the Bills. If one of them makes it, you spring to the podium and thank your lucky stars.

I would like Franklin, would probably be a good fit, but if at 28 and there is Franklin, Coleman, Adonai Mitchell, Keon Coleman, Xavier Worthy, McConkey, Devontez Walker, Polk, Pearsall and Wilson, and Bills aren't struck dead in awe with any of them I'd rather see us move back into the second round for them, or take a massively dropped DE or S and then spend some of those 5ths to get into the middle of the 2nd.

I’d rather take Franklin if he’s there but I agree with the rest.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d rather take Franklin if he’s there but I agree with the rest.  

Personally I am with you. I have seen him mocked to us a few times, and he sounds like the Peerless Price equivalent to take the top off the defense. That's what Gabe was supposed to be, and while he had a great game once a month that inconsistency hurt. 

I've said elsewhere that Diggs has above average but not elite size and speed, and that his talents have been lain in combining that with excellent route running. But with bracket coverage you've had the offense need to scheme him open on short throws rather than letting him work the intermediate like he'd been doing.

The best antidote to teams sitting on short and intermediate routes is to burn them on deep throws. And as we saw in the KC game, but just Didn't. Have. That.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

if we stay at 28 and Brian Thomas Jr or Troy Franklin are still on the board…you draft them! Man, I wish we could have both!!!!

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

if we stay at 28 and Brian Thomas Jr or Troy Franklin are still on the board…you draft them! Man, I wish we could have both!!!!

I’m all for it! We just call both names and see if Goodell notices! 👍

• Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Absolutely for Thomas, as that would be a massive drop from where I've seen him projected. I wouldn't hate a trade up of a few of our 5ths and/or a 2025 pick to get him if he sneaks into the low 20s.

Troy Franklin looks like the perfect fit of position, talent and draft slot. Personally I would say pull the trigger.

My list from before is more a thought exercise. If, through the next two months, the Bills look at all of these receiver prospects and sees the tier of "we think will be elite" ends with Thomas and "instantly productive, isn't going to unseat Diggs anytime soon" starts with Franklin, and there are nine other guys they put in that tier, they might try to trade back or wait for round 2.

13 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Absolutely for Thomas, as that would be a massive drop from where I've seen him projected. I wouldn't hate a trade up of a few of our 5ths and/or a 2025 pick to get him if he sneaks into the low 20s.

Troy Franklin looks like the perfect fit of position, talent and draft slot. Personally I would say pull the trigger.

My list from before is more a thought exercise. If, through the next two months, the Bills look at all of these receiver prospects and sees the tier of "we think will be elite" ends with Thomas and "instantly productive, isn't going to unseat Diggs anytime soon" starts with Franklin, and there are nine other guys they put in that tier, they might try to trade back or wait for round 2.

I would really hope they would trade up for the “we think will be elite” guy vs the guy that will just be Robin to Diggs’ Batman. We need to find someone to eventually replace Diggs. At this point in his career Diggs would be an incredible #2

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I would really hope they would trade up for the “we think will be elite” guy vs the guy that will just be Robin to Diggs’ Batman. We need to find someone to eventually replace Diggs. At this point in his career Diggs would be an incredible #2

I mean, don't we all?

The problem is that the Bills don't have a ton of trade value at this point to move up in the first round. I know that the Draft Pick Point Chart isn't exactly a stable and reliable guide but the only way I see the Bills getting into even the late teens to early 20s is giving up their second rounder, and we have a lot of depth to fill.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, don't we all?

The problem is that the Bills don't have a ton of trade value at this point to move up in the first round. I know that the Draft Pick Point Chart isn't exactly a stable and reliable guide but the only way I see the Bills getting into even the late teens to early 20s is giving up their second rounder, and we have a lot of depth to fill.

Yeah I think next years picks are much more likely to move. But I’m not sure a team would take it. Would have to be next years 1 probably to make it worth it for them 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Yeah I think next years picks are much more likely to move. But I’m not sure a team would take it. Would have to be next years 1 probably to make it worth it for them 

Indeed. It's less that I am opposed to the idea. I think it's possible that Beane manages a band-aid at 3/5 tech DT, a rotational DE (to supplement a theoretically rejuvenated Von, Rouss and Kingley Jonathan) and Safety with reasonably priced journeymen so there are no other positions that require a rookie as a Week 1 starter, and therefore we could splurge on WR2. 

The question is, who is willing to take the deal, especially if they can claim an elite WR for themselves. It's really going to come down to draft night to see who slides.

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW, Dane Brugler of The Athletic put out his top 100 (big board, not mock) for this year's draft. The WR class ranks as follows (position rank in parentheses):

https://theathletic.com/5270481/2024/02/13/nfl-draft-2024-prospect-rankings-top-100/

2. Marvin Harrison Jr. (1)

3. Malik Nabers (2)

7. Rome Odunze (3)

14. Brian Thomas Jr. (4)

28. Keon Coleman (5)

34. Ladd McConkey (6)

35. Adonai Mitchell (7)

40. Troy Franklin (8)

45. Roman Wilson (9)

46. Xavier Worthy (10)

49. Malachi Corley (11)

54. Ja'Lynn Polk (12)

64. Tez Walker (13)

65. Jalen McMillan (14)

78. Ricky Pearsall (15)

80. Xavier Legette (16)

97. Brenden Rice (17)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

FWIW, Dane Brugler of The Athletic put out his top 100 (big board, not mock) for this year's draft. The WR class ranks as follows (position rank in parentheses):

https://theathletic.com/5270481/2024/02/13/nfl-draft-2024-prospect-rankings-top-100/

3. Malik Nabers (2)

7. Rome Odunze (3)

14. Brian Thomas Jr. (4)

28. Keon Coleman (5)

34. Ladd McConkey (6)

35. Adonai Mitchell (7)

40. Troy Franklin (8)

45. Roman Wilson (9)

46. Xavier Worthy (10)

49. Malachi Corley (11)

54. Ja'Lynn Polk (12)

64. Tez Walker (13)

65. Jalen McMillan (14)

78. Ricky Pearsall (15)

80. Xavier Legette (16)

97. Brenden Rice (17)

I think the top four being considered top 15 picks has been fairly standard across all mocks and big boards I have seen.

The flux I am seeing is the appraisals of Coleman, and Franklin down,and it's a pretty big swath. If that keeps going, I would seriously consider looking in the 2nd round for a WR, either because the Bills trade back or stand pat and pick up a gem of a safety/DE

On 2/13/2024 at 8:10 AM, racketmaster said:

Sign me up for Jermaine Burton. He looks like a DJ Moore clone and that is good enough for me. Just not sure if he is a complete head case or not with all the teams he has bounced around on but he looks to be a plug and play wr that could make an immediate impact for us next year and you might be able to land him in the second round. 

He's got that Steve Smith attitude. 

I'd love to see it. 

He's a 15 yard penalty waiting to happen but this team lacks bravado. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2024 at 12:26 PM, The Firebaugh Kid said:

He's got that Steve Smith attitude. 

I'd love to see it. 

He's a 15 yard penalty waiting to happen but this team lacks bravado. 

Burton was accused of punching a female fan from another team.  Now, I don’t know if that’s true or not, but there are vague “character concerns” floating around him.  Again, don’t know if that is right, but teams will know.

• Agree 1

On 2/14/2024 at 3:45 PM, DCOrange said:

3. Malik Nabers (2)

7. Rome Odunze (3)

14. Brian Thomas Jr. (4)

28. Keon Coleman (5)

34. Ladd McConkey (6)

35. Adonai Mitchell (7)

40. Troy Franklin (8)

45. Roman Wilson (9)

46. Xavier Worthy (10)

49. Malachi Corley (11)

54. Ja'Lynn Polk (12)

64. Tez Walker (13)

65. Jalen McMillan (14)

78. Ricky Pearsall (15)

80. Xavier Legette (16)

97. Brenden Rice (17)

He is way too low on Legette. Otherwise he and I are relatively broadly aligned (at least on position ranking).

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Burton was accused of punching a female fan from another team.  Now, I don’t know if that’s true or not, but there are vague “character concerns” floating around him.  Again, don’t know if that is right, but teams will know.

Just watching his highlight reel he looks like a complete and total loose cannon, but it’s like an axl rose situation… I’m intrigued. Haha

On 2/14/2024 at 10:45 AM, DCOrange said:

3. Malik Nabers (2)

7. Rome Odunze (3)

14. Brian Thomas Jr. (4)

28. Keon Coleman (5)

34. Ladd McConkey (6)

35. Adonai Mitchell (7)

40. Troy Franklin (8)

45. Roman Wilson (9)

46. Xavier Worthy (10)

49. Malachi Corley (11)

54. Ja'Lynn Polk (12)

64. Tez Walker (13)

65. Jalen McMillan (14)

78. Ricky Pearsall (15)

80. Xavier Legette (16)

97. Brenden Rice (17)

It seems everyone is in agreeance on Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas as the Top 4 guys.

After that, everyone seems to have differing opinions on the next group of guys and that it's a cluster of similarly ranked prospects. 

On one hand, that says to me if Thomas isn't available (which is probably likely save for a fall and at least a small trade up) - we could probably wait until the Mid-2nd and land a guy who's about the same value as who we would take at 28. 

On the other, I think it's going to come down to the type of WR we're looking for. With Shakir and Kincaid in the slot already and especially if they opt to keep Harty on a paycut instead of cutting him - anyone who is looked at as primarily a Slot guy is out for us. Similarly, anyone under 6'1", who runs slower than a 4.45 40 is probably also out. 

I haven't gone through the list of guys who fit that bill in that 2nd/3rd tier yet. But if there's only 1 or 2 that check all those boxes, we can't really afford to wait.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It seems everyone is in agreeance on Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas as the Top 4 guys.

After that, everyone seems to have differing opinions on the next group of guys and that it's a cluster of similarly ranked prospects. 

On one hand, that says to me if Thomas isn't available (which is probably likely save for a fall and at least a small trade up) - we could probably wait until the Mid-2nd and land a guy who's about the same value as who we would take at 28. 

On the other, I think it's going to come down to the type of WR we're looking for. With Shakir and Kincaid in the slot already and especially if they opt to keep Harty on a paycut instead of cutting him - anyone who is looked at as primarily a Slot guy is out for us. Similarly, anyone under 6'1", who runs slower than a 4.45 40 is probably also out. 

I haven't gone through the list of guys who fit that bill in that 2nd/3rd tier yet. But if there's only 1 or 2 that check all those boxes, we can't really afford to wait.

Troy Franklin all day my friend.

6’3 legit top speed. Unique Long strides.  Already pretty good route runner. Good separation. Elite deep threat. Can play outside and inside

Developed QB friendly skills at Oregon. Finds open spaces on scramble ad-lib plays.  

2nd behind only Marvin Harrison JR in EPA/Route analytics

as of now my favorite WR’s that we have a realistic chance at drafting are 

Troy Franklin

Brian Thomas Jr

Xavier Worthy

Adonai Mitchell

Xavier Legette

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Troy Franklin all day my friend.

6’3 legit top speed. Unique Long strides.  Already pretty good route runner. Good separation. Elite deep threat. Can play outside and inside

Developed QB friendly skills at Oregon. Finds open spaces on scramble ad-lib plays.  

2nd behind only Marvin Harrison JR in EPA/Route analytics

as of now my favorite WR’s that we have a realistic chance at drafting are

Agreed