Is Smiley safe??

JMM

If he was being fired wouldn't we have likely heard by now? To me it would be a surprise. Not saying it was all his fault(like Bass becoming a head case), but overall for the season the ST was an absolute dumpster fire. It's unacceptable.  We have enough issues to deal with let alone not being to count on good consistently sound ST. Like Marv used to say, its 1/3 of the team and as important as the O and D.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Didn't they just return a kickoff for a TD on week 18 that basically won the division?  Those plays have a lot more to do with a good special teams coach than whether a kicker chokes or not, IMO.

• Disagree 3

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Didn't they just return a kickoff for a TD on week 18 that basically won the division?  Those plays have a lot more to do with a good special teams coach than whether a kicker chokes or not, IMO.

Yes they did but the return game both ways overall has been worse than recent years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Kick returns are more about luck than anything else.  Otherwise they'd be common occurrences.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He might be safe. McD needs a scapegoat for next season. Right now it looks like either a new OC that would be that guy and we all know with him as DC, no accountability there. It's a bad look for him if he fires the new OC/Brady or a new ST coordinator. 

I think what's best for the team is a distant 2nd for him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are not a quick fire team on this stuff. 

Ok that's what I'm wondering about. Have they in the past let go staff after a week or so or right away, I don't really recall. I'm hoping they do go in another direction, and maybe bring in an experienced ST coach to right the ship

Special teams is the red headed step child of the NFL, no one likes their STs they are players that are not good at their primary roles, so ya get what ya got when it comes to this 1/10th of the team. Ya just hope they don’t totally Fuh k up when they are on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We're one of the only teams that routinely pays special teams "aces", and our special teams still suck. If other coaches are getting good results with guys on their roster who also back up other positions, why are we paying ST-only guys like Matakevich $2.5M?

We need a new ST coach, and also stop paying for primary special teamers.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Norman Smiley vs Terry Funk. The truly dark days of WCW before they went the way of the Dodo

Lol I know who they are just never seen it. That’s absolutely wild image 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Maybe?

2022 best in the NFL, 2023 very mediocre.

How much of Bass’ issues lie at the fault of Smiley? 

None?  Smiley has been here for seven years, this being his 2nd season as the ST Coordinator (first five were as assistant).  Given the 2022 success, maybe he’s got some good will banked with McD.  If he was impacting Bass’ kicking issues, wouldn’t this have shown itself prior to this season?

5 hours ago, JMM said:

If he was being fired wouldn't we have likely heard by now? To me it would be a surprise. Not saying it was all his fault(like Bass becoming a head case), but overall for the season the ST was an absolute dumpster fire. It's unacceptable.  We have enough issues to deal with let alone not being to count on good consistently sound ST. Like Marv used to say, its 1/3 of the team and as important as the O and D.

good thread. He does need to go.

This team is so good that all we need to do is play mediocre special teams and not turn the ball over, and we can win 13-plus games. instead, these special teams gaffes always seem to cost us games. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the real issue is more the over investment of $ into special teams players.

Can anyone ? Name an outstanding ST group year over year. And i mean each facet.

Its really a way to develop and hold onto 2nd and third string players who can come in as next man up, or developing younger players.

Smiley being fired is not the answer to getting to the SB. in my humble.

and those that keeping saying scapegoat. wtf 

7 hours ago, 947 said:

We're one of the only teams that routinely pays special teams "aces", and our special teams still suck. If other coaches are getting good results with guys on their roster who also back up other positions, why are we paying ST-only guys like Matakevich $2.5M?

We need a new ST coach, and also stop paying for primary special teamers.

We are definitely not.

• Like (+1) 1

I heard an elderly Bills Mafia lady call into Sal's show, dejected after Bills choke job against KC.  "we are cursed" she said.  "if you think about it-every devastating defeat-  Music City, 13 seconds,  wide right, yada yada- all special teams failures"

I agree.  We must improve special teams and get back to being a top unit.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.