The Belichick thread

Simon

15 hours ago, rusty shackleford said:

CBS should bring him in as a color commentator to pair with Ian Eagle.

"Murfle.  Mutter.  Muggle.  On to second down and eight."

15 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

A thread for the pipe dreamers 

15 hours ago, LLCoolCy said:

More like the pipe nightmares?

Crack pipe? 🤔

Andy Reid is the true GOAT. As badly as Florio wants him to retire it aint happening. 

Think of it this way: Belichick is unemployed and basically nobody is interested but Atlanta. If Andy Reid and the Chiefs decided to "part ways" he would be the #1 sought after name out there. 

Why?

Because he has won in 2 places and with multiple QBs. Belichick's success= Brady. 

It gets even better. If the hooded grump doesn't get a gig this cycle then Reid will almost certainly pass him in HC wins eventually. Reid is 6 years younger.

The ONLY way Reid retires anytime soon is if he has some sort of health issue that we don't know about. Because if he retires and walks away from Mahomes he better hope he never gets that coaching itch again in a year or two. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

BB to Buffalo is intriguing, especially as we are going to need a defensive overhaul anyway. 

Biggest roadblock, imo, is that there’s some kind of handshake deal with Kraft and BB that he doesn’t go in the division.

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The ONLY way Reid retires anytime soon is if he has some sort of health issue that we don't know about. Because if he retires and walks away from Mahomes he better hope he never gets that coaching itch again in a year or two. 

Well, he does appear to be about 250 pounds overweight, and I can only guess as to what that guy's diet has looked like these last 65 years.....guy is a frontrunner to drop of a heart attack at any moment.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

BB to Buffalo is intriguing, especially as we are going to need a defensive overhaul anyway. 

Biggest roadblock, imo, is that there’s some kind of handshake deal with Kraft and BB that he doesn’t go in the division.

Biggest roadblock is McDermott isn't getting fired. I would love to have Bill coaching the Bills. I think he wins a Super Bowl with Allen and he wouldn't get outcoached by Reid but it's not going to happen.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From what I have seen, teams are not exactly lining up to hire Belichick.  The rumors about him going to the Falcons have died down as well.  He might just decide to retire.  He probably should because he won’t win another ring.. and it will only further compromise his legacy pre and post Brady.

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

From what I have seen, teams are not exactly lining up to hire Belichick.  The rumors about him going to the Falcons have died down as well.  He might just decide to retire.  He probably should because he won’t win another ring.. and it will only further compromise his legacy pre and post Brady.

He doesn't really care about a ring. He wants 20 more wins to pass Shula. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

He doesn't really care about a ring. He wants 20 more wins to pass Shula. 

🤔You know… with a 17 game season… there is a way to do that in short order… wouldn’t THAT be something… we’d never have to hear about the damn ‘72 Dolphins and their annual champagne toast ever again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Since I don't expect Sean to be fired....the next best thing:  Belichick as DC / Asst HC

Sean & Bill work together to implement a mix of their Defenses.  Could be truly special

+ having Bill in our locker room would be priceless to this team. 

He can help Josh in whatever ways he helped Brady 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Since I don't expect Sean to be fired....the next best thing:  Belichick as DC / Asst HC

Sean & Bill work together to implement a mix of their Defenses.  Could be truly special

Ebony and Ivory … living in perfect harmony 

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He can help Josh in whatever ways he helped Brady 

Sean would be intimidated to hire Bill. He couldn't control Bill as he wouldn't come here to be a puppet DC. Do you think Sean would hire someone who is much better at the job of HC/DC then he is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Only way this can happen is if Pegula fires  McDermott now (which isn’t happening) and then gamble that BB would take the job.

He can’t make an agreement first with BB, he would have to satisfy the Rooney Rule first which would be a sham and totally unfair to the interviewee.

IF Bill is done now.

IF Reid coaches another 6 years until he is the age that Bill is now.

THEN Reid will have a legitimate shot at being seen as the GOAT. 

Reid will almost certainly have more HC wins than Belichick (and maybe Shula), a better coaching tree (by far), won with 2 different teams, won 100+ games BEFORE ever getting his superstar QB, and have had more success in the modern era with modern players (no "game has passed him by" argument. 

Bill will have the rings (probably) over Reid. But the GOAT debate will be loud and contentious, whereas now it's a "slam dunk." But Reid could still have 5-6 more years to pad his legacy. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I wouldn't want Belichick, as it exacerbates a problem we already have. McDermott has been a defensive minded coach ; Belichick is even more disbalanced. We wouldn't get another wide receiver or players to compliment Josh. The offensive side of the game has passed Belichick by -he is a great D coordinator and a game-plan mastermind on that side of the ball, but his offensive success was nearly all Brady. It seems like other teams have passed on him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hikerprof2 said:

I wouldn't want Belichick, as it exacerbates a problem we already have. McDermott has been a defensive minded coach ; Belichick is even more disbalanced. We wouldn't get another wide receiver or players to compliment Josh. The offensive side of the game has passed Belichick by -he is a great D coordinator and a game-plan mastermind on that side of the ball, but his offensive success was nearly all Brady. It seems like other teams have passed on him.

Yeah he'd be a good OC but he has now shown his toxicity on the other side of the ball. Obviously he's not taking an OC job anywhere so I really don't know if there is any place for him to go.

It's starting to feel like the league has made an unannounced decision to wash its hands of BB.

After the Spygate and Deflategate scandals, this is reminiscent of how Kaepernick has been dropped down the memory hole to the point where he was excluded from any mention in the 49ers official history.

Maybe they feel he has damaged the shield .

12 minutes ago, stuvian said:

It's starting to feel like the league has made an unannounced decision to wash its hands of BB.

After the Spygate and Deflategate scandals, this is reminiscent of how Kaepernick has been dropped down the memory hole to the point where he was excluded from any mention in the 49ers official history.

Winning usually trumps all, though.

I'm really mystified by the apparent lack of interest.  The whole "he plays chess, everyone else plays checkers" thing is pretty accurate, imo.  For many years, he was just head & shoulders above everyone else.  He's not quite at that level anymore - but he's still a great coach.

• Like (+1) 1

I put this in the McDermott thread but maybe it belongs here...

Daboll is wearing out his welcome in NY.  The Giants fire Brian Daboll..

The Giants hire Bill Belicheck who is itching to come back and has respect of the Giants ownership.

The Bills fire McDermott and bring Daboll home to be head coach.  The Josh/Daboll partnership is back together for a SB run.

Would this work?

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

33 minutes ago, Success said:

Winning usually trumps all, though.

I'm really mystified by the apparent lack of interest.  The whole "he plays chess, everyone else plays checkers" thing is pretty accurate, imo.  For many years, he was just head & shoulders above everyone else.  He's not quite at that level anymore - but he's still a great coach.

He is a terrible GM and shouldn't have control in that regard. That's the main reason the Pats are where they are. Also going from Brady to Jones is a huge drop-off at the most important position. No coach could overcome that. He is still an excellent coach. I have no doubt he would win a Super Bowl with the Bills having Allen as his QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he coaches again, it'll be an interim position where a team underperforms in 2024 and he may pick up a few wins over 1.5 seasons using what they've got in house.  (maybe Cowboys, Jags, Saints, Bucs)

He's 72, and no team is going to invest in a 1-year coaching staff and no halfway decent coaches are going to sign up for a year just to get fired the following season.  

If he wants that wins record, he's going to have to compromise on the situation.

2 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

The way the chips are falling the Bills now have leverage for him just as a coach and can shut down any GM leverage Belichick had before Atlanta made their decision. 

The Bills aren't firing McDermott so he's definitely not coming here.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

Maybe but more likely Bill Belichick commands $25 million dollars a year. The wealthy in general are very cheap compared to a working class people that is one of the reasons they are wealthy. They use other people’s money over their own. Again in general terms. I think it’s a little of that, a little of Bill Belichick gets paid next year by the New England Patriots $25 million dollars weather he works or not. And don’t discount Bill Belichick might be trying to get GM power and bring his son in like the Patriots. That could turn a NFL owner off. Wait a year there are going to be more desperate NFL owners and Bill Belichick will land somewhere for one more coaching job if he wants it. Sitting out a year Bill Belichick may enjoy retirement it all depends on the individual in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just now, extrahammer said:

Yet here you are in this thread. Still my point remains. 

What I want and what will happen are two different things. I would love for Bill to coach the Bills but that's not happening right now. If the Bills have another playoff disappointment next year and Bill is still available, then maybe for the 2025 season.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

What I want and what will happen are two different things. I would love for Bill to coach the Bills but that's not happening right now. If the Bills have another playoff disappointment next year and Bill is still available, then maybe for the 2025 season.

It's funny, because I didn't say it would or wouldn't. All I said was the chips are falling in a way that's already humbling Bill, especially regarding the GM piece he wants. 

• Agree 1

Just now, extrahammer said:

It's funny, because I didn't say it would or wouldn't. All I said was the chips are falling in a way that's already humbling Bill, especially regarding the GM piece he wants. 

As a previous poster mentioned if things don't work out for Daboll I could definitely see Bill going back to the Giants.  He has history there as a DC. He liked coaching in NJ with the Giants. 

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I really doubt that.

The cold hard reality with Belichik is that he's 72 years old and simply hasn't fared well post Brady. And that's why the best situation for him all along was team ready to win now with a franchise QB in place vs. a full blown rebuilding project which a lot of these openings during this cycle are.

Also to compare a guy whose been to a combined 11 Superbowls and won 8 of them as a HC/Defensive coordinator to a clown that decided to brand himself as a social issue martyr because his pro football career was essentially over anyway makes zero sense.

Bottom line we really don't know the full story and maybe the BB waffled on Atlanta and other openings anyway over the prospect of having to start over/move family at said age.

Giants could always do the "we're really having trouble getting coordinators to come in, plus it was a mess here last season" routine and still fire Daboll. 

More likely, though, is that Belichick is done coaching. Who is going to hire him next cycle when he'll be 73? 

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd hire him as DC.

McDermott would **** his pants if Bill was his DC. No way Sean would hire him since he is way better at being a HC/DC. Not to mention he wouldn't be able to control him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.