Tyler Bass Contract

Process

We just gave Bass a big extension this offseason. At the time it seemed like a no brainer. He was so good before this season. Such a shame.

How screwed are we with the dead cap on his deal for 2024?

Not saying we shouldn't give him another shot. Just wondering if cutting him is even a realistic option if it comes to that. 

3 misses in 2 playoff games, after a rough regular season, is hard to accept. 

Screenshot_20240122-014141.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

We just gave Bass a big extension this offseason. At the time it seemed like a no brainer. He was so good before this season. Such a shame.

Not saying we shouldn't give him another shot. Just wondering if cutting him is even a realistic option if it comes to that. 

He isn't going anywhere.  You don't create holes to fill AND take huge dead cap hits when you already have to work the cap since you are $40 million over it next year to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yeah it sucks .. but what are you going to do ? 

Just now, Big Turk said:

He isn't going anywhere.  You don't create holes to fill AND take huge dead cap hits when you already have to work the cap since you are $40 million over it next year to begin with.

He is gone 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Beane's surely got a number of different things lined up to get us out from under our cap situation.

Kicker is a relatively cheap position. Especially if we Draft a guy. You can't keep rolling out a Kicker as unreliable as he's been down the stretch just because of the money. It's not like other positions where you can say "well, we're stuck with him, but that doesn't mean we have to start him". 

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah it sucks .. but what are you going to do ? 

He is gone 

Sorry, this isn't Madden franchise mode. I know you think it's realistic when you do whatever you want in the game and think real life works the same way, but sorry to say you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Beane's surely got a number of different things lined up to get us out from under our cap situation.

Kicker is a relatively cheap position. Especially if we Draft a guy. You can't keep rolling out a Kicker as unreliable as he's been down the stretch just because of the money. It's not like other positions where you can say "well, we're stuck with him, but that doesn't mean we have to start him". 

With that dead cap number Bass will be back

Hope is he bounces back like alot of kickers have in the past.

But this year was bad and it would be nice to feel better about the position going into next year.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Sorry, this isn't Madden franchise mode. I know you think it's realistic when you do whatever you want in the game and think real life works the same way, but sorry to say you are sadly mistaken.

So is your argument that his dead cap is too high… not his kicking ability? 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Considering in general, kicker consistency is the widest variable in the NFL from one year to the next outside of outliers like Justin Tucker, you most likely would be chasing your tail. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

So is your argument that his dead cap is too high… not his kicking ability? 

Kicking consistency from one year to the next outside of a very select few like Justin Tucker is the widest variable in the NFL in terms of statistics.  To the point the argument was made that kickoff distance/touchbacks are a more important determinating factor when they did the study than FG percentage since it's up and down and effected by a lot of other variables.  

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Kicking consistency from one year to the next outside of a very select few like Justin Tucker is the widest variable in the NFL in terms of statistics.  To the point the argument was made that kickoff distance/touchbacks are a more important determinating factor when they did the study than FG percentage since it's up and down and effected by a lot of other variables.  

Sorry … can’t agree .. I think he gets cut … happy to revisit and accept my Medicine… but I think he is gone 

Edited by Aussie Joe

I feel like kickers either have it, or they don’t. A miss like that can linger in Bass’s mind. His first year was concerning after beating out Hauschka because he had the yips early, couldn’t make anything after a stellar preseason. He was able to get right in that Jets game where he made 7/10 or whatever it was, but I can’t fully trust him from this point on. I think he knows the team likely feels the same.

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Sorry … can’t agree .. I think he gets cut … happy to revisit and accept my Medicine… but I think he is gone 

You don't need to agree, you simply are being emotional and not basing it off facts.  Bass is squarely in the middle of "good" kickers over the last 3 years and is 3rd in XP percentage over that time.  The "clutch" kicker Butker is a few percentage points better than him, which is statistcailly meaningless really with how few attempts they get each year. You don't create a huge dead cap space to get a marginal, if any, upgrade.  That makes zero sense and only someone who is basing their decision on emption rather than logic would do that. Bass was also 9/9 before that kick in those situations.  You don't get rid of a guy who misses his first kick after making the other 9.

Guess 2am counts for Overreaction Monday.

image.thumb.png.9fb4cba348dea9e59c3c08039f1c41cf.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You don't need to agree, you simply are being emotional and not basing it off facts.  Bass is squarely in the middle of "good" kickers over the last 3 years and is 3rd in XP percentage over that time.  The "clutch" kicker Butker is a few percentage points better than him, which is statistcailly meaningless really with how few attempts they get each year. You don't create a huge dead cap space to get a marginal, if any, upgrade.  That makes zero sense and only someone who is basing their decision on emption rather than logic would do that. Bass was also 9/9 before that kick in those situations.  You don't get rid of a guy who misses his first kick after making the other 9.

Guess 2am counts for Overreaction Monday.

image.thumb.png.9fb4cba348dea9e59c3c08039f1c41cf.png

Bass is 26/34 between the regular season and Post Season this year. That's 76% - basically one miss in every 4. He was an abysmal 2/5 in the Postseason, including a miss from 27 yards. One of two needed end of the game playoff clutch kicks that he choked on in back to back weeks (luckily we were bailed out by the Defense last week).

This is not an overreaction. Kickers have lost their jobs for a lot less.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I said all week he will cost us, just had a gut feeling 

That missed kick didn’t cost us the game. The offense needed to score a touchdown on that last drive or wind the clock down a lot more than they did. Bass makes the kick and ties the game, then Mahomes leads the Chiefs down the field for a game winning FG in the final seconds. Our depleted defense couldn’t stop the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

That missed kick didn’t cost us the game. The offense needed to score a touchdown on that last drive or wind the clock down a lot more than they did. Bass makes the kick and ties the game, then Mahomes leads the Chiefs down the field for a game winning FG in the final seconds. Our depleted defense couldn’t stop the Chiefs.

Except we stopped them 2 previous drives, including a 3 and out and b.s pi on 3rd and then got em to gov3 and out again on same drive. You could be right but the D really stepped up in the 4th

After being born and living in Buffalo for most of my life we now live in South Carolina in a town that is  five miles from where Tyler Bass was raised in Irmo, SC. That is Univsersity of South Carolina, SEC NCAA country. The rest of South Carolina is Clemson. Tyler is a warm weather kicker who for whatever reason didnt attend a large SEC football program even though he was awarded the best high school kicker award. 

Hmm, so ask yourself why didnt he go to a big program? Less stress? USC is a mere 20 minute drive from his home town of Irmo, South Carolina and Clemson on is a two hour drive. It could be just the timing of the incombants. 

Something is in this guys head unlike any other kicker I have ever witnessed as he at times will pulverize a kick with so much force it knuckleballs to th extreme. 

In my opinion hes got the Mcdermotts between the ears.

I dont know if he can be fixed. 

I don’t think Bass deserves to be cut. Last week his foot slipped on the turf when he duck hooked that one kick. And yesterday the wind seemed to have a great effect on the ball.

I know in the game day thread some people were saying he's got a "bad slice", similar to what a golf hacker does. Question: is that even possible, considering the physics of it? I'm no scientist, but I don’t even think it's physically possible to put the spin on an oblong ball during a FG try, to make it "slice" like a golf ball does. If the kick is hit properly, AND the ball is tumbling end over end, there can be zero side spin on it. The latter is very different from a punt, which of course can have sidespin, as the foot contact the ball in a totally different way vs a placekick.

They can eat that contract if they need to,  but there may be an injury issue or something we don't know about.  They also need to cull a lot of dead weight that's more of a problem,  both on the field and in terms of cap impact,  than the kicker.  If they think they can fix Bass,  I'm fine with giving him another chance. 

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Bass is 26/34 between the regular season and Post Season this year. That's 76% - basically one miss in every 4. He was an abysmal 2/5 in the Postseason, including a miss from 27 yards. One of two needed end of the game playoff clutch kicks that he choked on in back to back weeks (luckily we were bailed out by the Defense last week).

This is not an overreaction. Kickers have lost their jobs for a lot less.

Every kicker has a down season. Pretty much across the board. That's the nature of the NFL kicking in weather and only getting few attempts that cause every miss to be a large percentage.

Plenty of dome kickers have the same issue. What's their excuse?

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I don’t think Bass deserves to be cut. Last week his foot slipped on the turf when he duck hooked that one kick. And yesterday the wind seemed to have a great effect on the ball.

I know in the game day thread some people were saying he's got a "bad slice", similar to what a golf hacker does. Question: is that even possible, considering the physics of it? I'm no scientist, but I don’t even think it's physically possible to put the spin on an oblong ball during a FG try, to make it "slice" like a golf ball does. If the kick is hit properly, AND the ball is tumbling end over end, there can be zero side spin on it. The latter is very different from a punt, which of course can have sidespin, as the foot contact the ball in a totally different way vs a placekick.

Yes it's possible. I kicked for a few years in 2 leagues...flag and touch football. While I am no expert I played soccer for 25+ years growing up and kicked footballs 4-5 time a week when the weather was nice going to the high school nearby for 6-7 months starting in March during that time.

You definitely can hook the ball depending on where your foot makes contact with it, no different than a soccer ball, although kicking the two are completely different. Took me a few days to not consistently kick the football into the ground when I first started as you have a different target on the football than the soccer ball typically.

However in this case, I don't think the ball was hooked, I just think he didn't push the ball far enough left. Donn Paul posted the winds had picked up to 21 mph at 9pm which is plenty strong to push longer kicks like that.

Edited by Big Turk

6 hours ago, Process said:

Regardless of the cap hit, if he struggles in camp you can’t go into the season with him. I have a feeling he will not be starting for us week 1. I think we are gonna hope he gets better in the off-season, he won’t, and we will sign a cheap guy who was just cut by another team right before the season starts. 

7 hours ago, Process said:

This is disgusting 

7 hours ago, Chugga said:

If the loss doesn’t hurt enough just look at some of these contracts.  Yikes

Buffalo Bills now have the leagues worst contract for Kicker, Tight End, Defensive End and possibly WR once we find out what’s wrong with Diggs.  

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Except we stopped them 2 previous drives, including a 3 and out and b.s pi on 3rd and then got em to gov3 and out again on same drive. You could be right but the D really stepped up in the 4th

Well, obviously we will never know for sure what would have happened, but I just can’t see crucifying Bass for losing the game because of missing that FG.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

if there is not an injury issue that they have kept silent for weeks … he is gone … they can’t have him back next year 

The injury is to his psyche, no coach, trainer or doctor can fix that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.