Fake punt!?

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Maybe the worst call I’ve ever seen. You can’t tell me that McD’s personal beliefs weren’t involved with giving that play the OK. That alone was a fireable play 

I dont mind it as a call. But Damar Hamlin getting the ball?

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

It was pretty bad 

Like someone doing something totally out of character just to be cool- and it all blowing up in their face 

It felt like some Hallmark movie thing. Just completely nonsensical. Hard to imagine what a bonehead play like that does for morale and confidence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

It wasn't as if the Bills were going to be able to stop Mahomes and the Chiefs.  He probably figured they had to score to keep up.  

Then do it with Josh Allen….not Damar Hamlin.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It was the ugliest fake punt I've seen in a long, long time. Even if KC had 10 men on the field (I counted 9 near the LOS and I guess there was just one deep return guy), KC had the LOS stacked to the left, which is exactly what Hamlin ran into. 

Is McD being nice to Hamlin (or whoever would call that fake) by taking the blame? What fake punt would ever have Hamlin involved in what looked like kind of a naked sweep?

It may be that this goes back to the original mistake of keeping Martin active as punter when he obviously couldn't do it this week.

Thankfully it was all negated by a call that I thought never should have been overturned, the "fumbled out of the end zone" on Hardman. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I dont mind it as a call. But Damar Hamlin getting the ball?

They were hoping it was like a charity play where they let the kid score and acted like they all can’t catch him…. Make a wish campaign for damar. 

I am ready for Damar to move on, I’m happy he is alive and well but we need better… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean, when you could have Josh Allen have the ball in his hands or Damar Hamlin, pick Hamlin.  Makes perfect sense

This right here. It wasn’t just a bad call… it was cringy bad. 

Should have just left the O on the field. 

It was one of those calls that makes you embarrassed to be a Bills fan. 

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

It was the ugliest fake punt I've seen in a long, long time. Even if KC had 10 men on the field (I counted 9 near the LOS and I guess there was just one deep return guy), KC had the LOS stacked to the left, which is exactly what Hamlin ran into. 

Is McD being nice to Hamlin (or whoever would call that fake) by taking the blame? What fake punt would ever have Hamlin involved in what looked like kind of a naked sweep?

It may be that this goes back to the original mistake of keeping Martin active as punter when he obviously couldn't do it this week.

Thankfully it was all negated by a call that I thought never should have been overturned, the "fumbled out of the end zone" on Hardman. 

yeah, it was bizarrely telegraphed. Hamlin stood right behind the center. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Can't wait to see the ST coach get scapegoated for this and people defend McD saying he's just the Head Coach, he has no idea what all of the coordinators are doing, it's not his fault! 

The ST coach has been walking dead for months … could have won the SB and he would still be gone 

12 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Maybe the worst call I’ve ever seen. You can’t tell me that McD’s personal beliefs weren’t involved with giving that play the OK. That alone was a fireable play 

Chiefs had 10 men on the field, Bills had 8 blockers to 6 rushers for the Chiefs. Should have been an easy first down.  Honestly inexcusable they didn't get it done well enough.

Edited by Big Turk

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Horrible call. They got desperate… and their defense was a sieve in the playoffs yet again. How unpredictable?

Dude the defense was decimated. I can't blame that. The Chiefs attacked their weaknesses. 

Just now, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

It’s about momentum Joe, and we gave that to them after that BS call. Yeah it wasn’t an end all be all play but it was a horrible horrible call I

So you prefer them to just punt it or go for it?  Can’t even remember how far to go … but it wasn’t a gimme right? 

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Sure, but no accountability for the guy that hired him and who knew what that horrible play was and called for it anyway. 

I’m not defending McD … all I’m saying ia that he is back next year and ST coach is gone … Special Teams been ordinary all year 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They were missing their starting MLB… the Chiefs punted once and moved the ball AT WILL…. Come one with this, it’s the same story every year with McD against quality coaching and a good QB. He gets taken to the woodshed every time. 

So more investment required in the D … gotcha 

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Dude the defense was decimated. I can't blame that. The Chiefs attacked their weaknesses. 

After half with the lead and chiefs went right down and scored to open the 2nd half I feel our offense identity should have changed......we should have been shootout mentality and instead we continued to try to force "Complimentary " balanced football and kept running into 10 man fronts 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They were missing their starting MLB… the Chiefs punted once and moved the ball AT WILL…. Come one with this, it’s the same story every year with McD against quality coaching and a good QB. He gets taken to the woodshed every time. 

Offense had their chance and blew it. We knew coming into this they had to win it.

Just now, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

after it failed was that your first thought? or was it more like, oh sh*t

Does it matter ? The game moved on 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea let’s stack defense again so the Chiefs can punt maybe two times instead of one next January? 😅

What sort of game do they beat them in ? 63-60? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Bferra13 said:

Offense had their chance and blew it. We knew coming into this they had to win it.

McDermott wanted an offense to play perfect ball for 14 play drives and chew clock to limit his decimated defense exposure.......OK but to try to do so by running into a chiefs defense who obviously themed their halftime speech and adjustments on STOPPING the run was mind-boggling..even the passing played right into their strength by dialing up allot of short near the los quick passes......we never really challenged the intermediate...all runs,short passes or try to hit them on the homerun....mind boggling

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

it kinda felt like a huge momentum shift to me gave up the ball in our territory

And the momentum shifted again when KC fumbled …

Should the Bills have punted instead ? 

Edited by Aussie Joe

How long were they waiting to unleash that play all season. Should have buried us there but once again they dangled the carrot in front of Bill’s fans before taking it all away. I thought we would find way to pull it out after that fumble in the endzone but we didn’t make enough plays in the 2nd half after outplaying the Chiefs in the first half.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.