Why Murray over Fournette?

QB Bills

I'm guessing this has something to do with the max number of call-ups the Bills have? Because I don't understand why Murray needs to take a roster spot when he's clearly the worst rb on the team. Can anyone confirm?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

I'm guessing this has something to do with the max number of call-ups the Bills have? Because I don't understand why Murray needs to take a roster spot when he's clearly the worst rb on the team. Can anyone confirm?

You got it right.

With Davis and Dodson out we needed another WR and LB called up. Fournette wasn't needed as we had all our RBs healthy. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

I don’t believe there’s any restrictions on call ups for the playoffs 

I think that is for a particular player....in the regular season you can only get elevated 3 times.  In the playoffs, you can call the same guy up every game.  However there is a limitation on call ups for a game with a max of 2.  That is what I heard a guy say on the radio anyway so it must be true.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Murray's inarguably a better pass blocker, and more arguably, better at everything else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think that is for a particular player....in the regular season you can only get elevated 3 times.  In the playoffs, you can call the same guy up every game.  However there is a limitation on call ups for a game with a max of 2.  That is what I heard a guy say on the radio anyway so it must be true.

Beginning on January 10 at 4 p.m., playoff teams were able to begin to sign free agents, including players off the practice squads of other teams, but are limited to a total of four free agent signings with a maximum of two free agent signings during any week of the playoffs.

There is no limit to the number of times a team can elevate a player from the practice squad during the playoffs.

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t believe there’s any restrictions on call ups for the playoffs 

One restriction: 2 per game

All RBs were healthy but LBs/WRs were not so they escalated a LB Klein (good thing they did) and a WR Isabela (meh).

• Like (+1) 1

What this entire dialogue demonstrates is that the NFL has a SERIOUS personnel issue. They’re running a league where players are dropping like flies and yet they force the Teams to jump through ridiculous ancient rules to hamstring their rosters. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Either they haven't been impressed with what they've in practice and the limited time he's been on the field so far, or they simply don't want to disrupt the lockerroom because of Murray's apparent veteran leadership and what not.

At this point though barring injuries it looks like they will continue to roll with the Cook/Murray/Johnson lineup.

It's been said in various parts already in this thread, but to put it succinctly.

Each team can only call up two players per week. With Dodsen and Davis out, the Bills needed the bodies at those positions more than another running back.

As for why Murray over Fournette in a general sense: Murray is, by far, the best pass blocking back on the Bills roster. By far.

Cook and Johnson are the ball carriers, Murray is the pass blocking guy on obvious passing downs where they want extra protection for Josh. That's how it'll likely remain throughout the playoffs.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

1) Murray is the best blocker in pass pro and it's not close

2) Yes, you're correct, the Bills get 2 free call-ups from the PS who revert right afterwards so with bringing up Isabella and Klein, they didn't have a call-up.  But at this point I'm not sure if that's an issue, because it's the playoffs so not sure how waiver claims apply.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's been said in various parts already in this thread, but to put it succinctly.

Each team can only call up two players per week. With Dodsen and Davis out, the Bills needed the bodies at those positions more than another running back.

As for why Murray over Fournette in a general sense: Murray is, by far, the best pass blocking back on the Bills roster. By far.

Cook and Johnson are the ball carriers, Murray is the pass blocking guy on obvious passing downs where they want extra protection for Josh. That's how it'll likely remain throughout the playoffs.

That, plus Murray and Fournette are about as similar as RBs come as far as rushing/receiving. Murray is older, but Fournette seems to have more mileage on him. They are both very useful players, and it was a good idea to sign Fournette for depth. But I don't see any compelling reason to choose one over the other, except of course the pass blocking.

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What this entire dialogue demonstrates is that the NFL has a SERIOUS personnel issue. They’re running a league where players are dropping like flies and yet they force the Teams to jump through ridiculous ancient rules to hamstring their rosters. 

Salary Cap is $225 Million, people covered, active; IR, practice squad, dead cap.  About 80 signed people covered by the cap.  If you want to increase roster sizes, suspect the players association will want $225/80 = roughly $3MM for every extra spot on either and active roster or PS.  Chump change to the billionaire owners.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You got it right.

With Davis and Dodson out we needed another WR and LB called up. Fournette wasn't needed as we had all our RBs healthy. 

Johnson was hurt which is why Lenny activated

• Agree 1

I have no idea other than Murray maybe better at pass protection. With  Fournette Josh Allen can get you a yard with a quarterback sneak so his skill set Josh Allen can do so the Buffalo Bills go with Murray. But I have no idea it’s just a guess. Because I am

not a qualified football or hockey coach I am just a fan of both those sports. My coaching expertise is in baseball and basketball where I could talk more in depth about why something is done just being honest telling it like it is. I am not qualified other than baseball and basketball with baseball being my strongest of the two sports in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Murray's inarguably a better pass blocker, and more arguably, better at everything else.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2023.htm

I really dont know what people are seeing in Fat Lenny's 3.3 YPC and 40 yards that has them thinking 3.8 YPC and 300 yards is bad?  I hate the Latavius drop against the Dolphins too but that doesn't make Fournette good.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You got it right.

I think you missed his question.  He didn't ask why Fournette wasn't called up...he is asking why is Murray active over Fournette.  Which to me honestly was a surprise to me, I really thought this was the kind of game where having a tough north and south runner like Fournette made more sense than older Murray.  

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you missed his question.  He didn't ask why Fournette wasn't called up...he is asking why is Murray active over Fournette.  Which to me honestly was a surprise to me, I really thought this was the kind of game where having a tough north and south runner like Fournette made more sense than older Murray.  

Well, the simple answer there is Murray is on the active roster and Fournette isn't, correct? Now, I do get the question of why is Murray on the roster and not Fournette, I share that opinion. 

But that's why Murray was active. Calling up the 2 we did made it impossible to call up Fournette. We would have had to make another roster move (someone cut or to IR) to put Lenny on the 53. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.