Bills Offense vs Pittsburgh

BuffaloButt

Bills need to look back at their playoff game vs Cincinnati last year and mirror their game plan.  Mix of straight ahead runs and passes with short and medium routes and hitting the rbs out in the flats.  If the weather is as bad as we expect with snow and wind, we need to run routes that allow for run after the catch as well.

Let's see what we've learned from these types of games and use this to our advantage and beat the Steelers down this weekend!! Snow games are the great equalizer but we have the better talent, playmaker and experience.   

Curious what others think the Bills will do on Offense vs Pitt?

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Don't let Josh do anything. The only way they can beat us is with turnovers. Run the ball!

And Pittsburgh knows this, so they’re gonna load up on the line and in the box

Josh Allen has the arm to  deal with that wind

23 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

With bad weather neutralizing our passing advantage I am very concerned. I seen this before with Patriots game and that didn't go well.

Our running game has improved since then back in the patriots game. We weren’t running the ball hardly at all that year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Dictate the game to the Steelers offensively. Throw on 1st down to get ahead of the sticks. Don't let the Steelers make you one dimensional. 

Steelers have had a problem covering tight ends for months now, utilize that. Would love to see some 13 looks, or 22 looks, play action on early downs. 

Throw to your RBs, WR screens (HEY, one worked last week), and take your shot to Diggs. 

Yes we will be running the ball, but when and how you do it cannot be so obvious to allow the Steelers to load the box. They aren't the best run defense, we CAN and WILL run on them. However, they also have a bad pass defense that needs to be exploited. Too much scared talk about the Steelers and the weather. We have played in the wind...this isn't going to be the New England wind game...Josh can get the ball where it needs to go. 

(IF there is active accumulating snow with the wind, like inches on the field, then jesus christ just hold on and advance by any means necessary. Run Josh 30 times.)

• Like (+1) 2

If this staff did not learn from the Cinci game then there is no hope.  The good news is I am very confident they did learn from that and the Bills will have a better plan and possibly footwear.   However, the weather has a neutralizing affect and plays into the style the Steelers want to play which sucks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If this staff did not learn from the Cinci game then there is no hope.  The good news is I am very confident they did learn from that and the Bills will have a better plan and possibly footwear.   However, the weather has a neutralizing affect and plays into the style the Steelers want to play which sucks.

Build a dome, keep it open when you play a sissy team like the Dolphins and keep it closed when you play a team like the Steelers. It's almost too obvious. Terry is cheap

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Gather round kids...back in the old days, January weather was terrible in Orchard Park. Cold, snow, 20-35 mph winds, even negative wind chills.

Back then they said "run the ball!  It's too bad for passing"  Then a stud emerged from the tunnels that said ..."**** that!" And regardless of the elements he would toss 40, 50 yard bombs, deep outs whatever it took to hang, 30, 40, hell even 51 points once on opponents damn it!

Today, we again have a stud, with an even stronger arm than the legend of old.  I say...I say hit them with nothing they have seen yet.  3 wide, no huddle and throw the rock all over the damn field!  

Winter has come for the NFL.  Tell them, House #BillsMafia remembers...

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m thinking we should sign Rodger Saffold from the Browns PS and put him in the slot. Have him run 3 yards curls, box out his defender, catch, then lean backwards for a 1-3 yards.  Guaranteed 4 yards every play.  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hopefully with Brady, we don’t see a Cinci v2.0. Consider how Brady adapted Cowboys game was a completely different approach vs the norm 

Cook maybe but surface conditions may be ideal for straight Fournette

Edited by Since1981

I am not a fan of Allen running a lot, but this might be the game to do it. Also maybe having the passing game limited is a good thing since it "should" help Allen not turn it over so much. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Bills need to look back at their playoff game vs Cincinnati last year and mirror their game plan.  Mix of straight ahead runs and passes with short and medium routes and hitting the rbs out in the flats.  If the weather is as bad as we expect with snow and wind, we need to run routes that allow for run after the catch as well.

Let's see what we've learned from these types of games and use this to our advantage and beat the Steelers down this weekend!! Snow games are the great equalizer but we have the better talent, playmaker and experience.   

GO BILLS!!!

You have to let Josh throw the football.  He’s proven to be able to do this in all types of weather.   THIS IS WHY THEY DRAFTED HIM.  There were opportunities for Josh last year - he just didn’t play particularly well.

The good thing is that the Brady offense is less reliant on deep shots than it was under Dorsey.  

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

With bad weather neutralizing our passing advantage I am very concerned. I seen this before with Patriots game and that didn't go well.

Pats game was windier than this one is gonna be…also I really think that was a fluky loss weather or not personally.  We were moving the ball fine through the air and waited too long to commit to throwing imo.  Josh threw a deep ball that doinked off diggs’ head also lol 

Mac could not throw at all which made the pats super one dimensional…they crossed midfield like two times 

if the Steelers were some ground and pound juggernaut with a beast of an oline maybe I’d feel uneasy and this seems to be the way they’re being talked about around here for some reason..  they really aren’t that though..  their offense was anemic until Rudolph got a shot and started hitting some deep passes downfield 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

31 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Gather round kids...back in the old days, January weather was terrible in Orchard Park. Cold, snow, 20-35 mph winds, even negative wind chills.

Back then they said "run the ball!  It's too bad for passing"  Then a stud emerged from the tunnels that said ..."**** that!" And regardless of the elements he would toss 40, 50 yard bombs, deep outs whatever it took to hang, 30, 40, hell even 51 points once on opponents damn it!

Today, we again have a stud, with an even stronger arm than the legend of old.  I say...I say hit them with nothing they have seen yet.  3 wide, no huddle and throw the rock all over the damn field!  

Winter has come for the NFL.  Tell them, House #BillsMafia remembers...

Dan Marino did the same thing in the divisional round and just sliced up the defense passing for over yards.   A warm weather team essentially was un-phased coming into cold, snowy Buffalo.  

It was at that moment when I realized the conditions weren’t as big of an advantage as the media portrayed back then.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

And Pittsburgh knows this, so they’re gonna load up on the line and in the box

Josh Allen has the arm to  deal with that wind

Our running game has improved since then back in the patriots game. We weren’t running the ball hardly at all that year.

Pittsburgh plays zone and Josh plays like poo against zone teams. He has the 2nd lowest QBR vs zone of any of the QBs in the playoffs. It's just asking for trouble. Run the ball and do play action. If they run it enough it will make them bring more guys into the box and man up and then that's when you can draw something up

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Pats game was windier than this one is gonna be…also I really think that was a fluky loss weather or not personally.  We were moving the ball fine through the air and waited too long to commit to throwing imo.  Josh threw a deep ball that doinked off diggs’ head also lol 

Mac could not throw at all which made the pats super one dimensional…they crossed midfield like two times 

if the Steelers were some ground and pound juggernaut with a beast of an oline maybe I’d feel uneasy and this seems to be the way they’re being talked about around here for some reason..  they really aren’t that though 

They actually don’t run the ball all that well.  The run it with frequency but not with as much success.  

If the weather affects the pass game and Josh, than how do you think Mason Rudolph is going to perform?

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Pittsburgh plays zone and Josh plays like poo against zone teams. He has the 2nd lowest QBR vs zone of any of the QBs in the playoffs. It's just asking for trouble. Run the ball and do play action. If they run it enough it will make them bring more guys into the box and man up and then that's when you can draw something up

“plays like poo?”  What are we?  Pre-school teachers?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Screenshot_20240111-084300.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

GO BILLS!!!

It's crazy to me that once again we're heading into the playoffs with ugly weather in the forecast and once again, it's to the Bills disadvantage.   Ownership can say that having an open air stadium gives the Bills a big home field advantage in these late season games but it's almost never been the case so far.   

There's still time to throw a lid on the new stadium Terry.   

4 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

The patriots wind game had a bad outcome. But we learned something: Josh can throw in that wind. We figured it out too late in that game but going forward we should not fear the wind.

This game is not likely to be anywhere near that level of wind.  Allen will still be able to pass the ball and it is not going to call for a major change in game planning.  The patriots game has everyone terrified of wind, but a game like that occurs very very rarely.

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

It's crazy to me that once again we're heading into the playoffs with ugly weather in the forecast and once again, it's to the Bills disadvantage.   Ownership can say that having an open air stadium gives the Bills a big home field advantage in these late season games but it's almost never been the case so far.   

Many do not agree that it is to the Bills' disadvantage.  Allen will still be able to sling the ball and has a huge advantage in arm strength.  This isn't going to be the 50 mph winds that we saw in the patriots* game. If it does come down to running the ball, Buffalo has had more yards per game rushing than the steelers.  The myth that the the steelers are much better at running the ball is false.

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

They actually don’t run the ball all that well.  The run it with frequency but not with as much success.  

If the weather affects the pass game and Josh, than how do you think Mason Rudolph is going to perform?

“plays like poo?”  What are we?  Pre-school teachers?

Najee’s stats didn’t pick up until they got a qb that can actually throw the ball lol i watched them have runs blown up all year long 

he averaged around 50 rushing ypg up until Rudolph took over. The vast majority of those games Warren didn’t do much of anything either 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Lost said:

This continues to confuse me…I would let the game play out before making the claim it is not to the bills advantage.  The only evidence that it’s not to the bills advantage is that y’all are nervous about the game lol

look at the NE game…they broke one big run which ended up being the difference but only crossed midfield like one other time and couldn’t even attempt a pass.  We were much weaker in the trenches back then also so that game isn’t even relevant really.  On offense in that one I would argue we waited too long to try to throw…Josh was hitting throws into the wind in the 4th quarter pretty easily.   Absolute fluky loss from a few years ago has everyone spooked still it seems. We play that game in those exact conditions 10 times I think we win 8 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Najee’s stats didn’t pick up until they got a qb that can actually throw the ball lol i watched them have runs blown up all year long 

he averaged around 50 rushing ypg up until Rudolph took over. The vast majority of those games Warren didn’t do much of anything either 

Rudolph is currently averaging 7.7 yards after catch per completion which would be best in the league by a full yard.  He's been propped up by a few long catch and runs.  He isn't exactly slinging it, nor do i expect him to in poor weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Rudolph is currently averaging 7.7 yards after catch per completion which would be best in the league by a full yard.  He's been propped up by a few long catch and runs.  He isn't exactly slinging it, nor do i expect him to in poor weather. 

Oh yea I don’t either that’s what I was trying to say…they’re getting lighter boxes because Rudolph has been hittin some throws.  People are makin it sound like pit is playing smashmouth football and will run it on us easily even if we know it’s coming which is definitely not the case 

If our offense does the fundamentals and executes plays correctly we will win, having Josh gives us the advantage at the QB position both  passing and running, if he takes the short pass when he should we will move the chains and keep their offense off the field as much as possible, if we do this we will win the game, basically it’s that simple. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

What’s the all time single game playoff record for QB rushing yards ? Whatever it is, let Josh add that record to his already impressive HOF resume and have them wanting no part of tackling 17 by mid 3rd QTR.

2 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

It's not 1 pm on Sunday yet.    Allen torched the Steelers here with 98 yard Gabe TD and I think the winds were 25 mph during that game.   

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

The patriots wind game had a bad outcome. But we learned something: Josh can throw in that wind. We figured it out too late in that game but going forward we should not fear the wind.

Do you fear the force of the wind, the slash of the rain?

Go face them and fight them, be savage again.

2132Untitled.png

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.