Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow this is a shocking move:

For my money Vrabel is a top 5 coach in the NFL, let down by poor roster management. I hope he doesn't end up in New England...

Not shocking.  Even as he was running off the filed after the last game the announcers were speculating this would be for the last time with Tenn.  He has been a hot seat candidate.

"Poor roster management" also falls on a HC.  He makes up the shopping list. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am stunned Vrabel is gone. I suspect it is about relationships in the building as much as anything. He fell out with John Robinson and then has allegedly not been getting on with the new GM. 

He will be hired in New England. Book it. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I believe so, but he was in different place then. He has now delivered a CFP Championship to his alma mater, which is why he went back there. Now he could see the same opportunity in Chicago. They also have the draft capital to entice, along with what would probably be a blank check. 

Not to mention, don’t they have a brand new domed stadium in the works?

Inflate those ticket prices with Caleb Williams and Harbaugh.

Wow. I am a bit surprised about Vrabel. Considering the QBs he was given to work with he propped up the Titans for longer than most. It did not help when they traded away AJ Brown, who then went to the Super Bowl with the Eagles.

Our new DC? A brief look says he loves zone

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Not shocking.  Even as he was running off the filed after the last game the announcers were speculating this would be for the last time with Tenn.  He has been a hot seat candidate.

He clearly did not want to trade AJ Brown. You can't win consistently without a QB and without pass catchers.

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Had a feeling this was coming.

I think the "one last ride for Vrabel, Henry, and Tannehill" thing is what motivated the Titans to play so hard on Sunday and beat the Jags. I would say it doesn't matter because the Bills won anyway, but Josh admitted that was super glad to know the Bills already had a spot locked up when the Dolphins game kicked off, so there's really no knowing how he and the Bills would've played if they didn't have that peace of mind.

Edited by Logic

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am stunned Vrabel is gone. I suspect it is about relationships in the building as much as anything. He fell out with John Robinson and then has allegedly not been getting on with the new GM. 

If Belichick stays on and can keep BOB as OC and bring in Vrabel as DC, that will be the best coaching staff they've had in years. Maybe even decades.

I was thinking BOB was the heir apparent if Bill got canned or stepped away this year, but sounds like he's trying to come back.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If Belichick stays on and can keep BOB as OC and bring in Vrabel as DC, that will be the best coaching staff they've had in years. Maybe even decades.

I was thinking BOB was the heir apparent if Bill got canned or stepped away this year, but sounds like he's trying to come back.

my guess is Vrabel as head coach and they bring back Mcdaniels for OC

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

BOB as assistant HC, McDaniels as OC, Vrabel at DC might lead to some success…

whatever they do I hope McDaniels gets the HC job (once Billy B calls it a career) and he can fail for a third time 😂

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Unfortunately 

Just now, BigBadBills said:

my guess is Vrabel as head coach and they bring back Mcdaniels for OC

Maybe. Bill OBrien is already in the building and worked wonders with Zappe. If they are drafting a QB early this year, they need to retain BOB at all costs.

I guess any job is better than no job but wondering if McDaniels would come back now that he isnt next in line after Belichick anymore.

• Disagree 1

Vrabel is immediately the hottest name in the head coaching market. I am now hoping Belichick sticks around for one more season. My dark horse guess for Vrabel would be the Cowboys, I think Mike McCarthy's job is very much in doubt if they have a disappointing early playoff exit.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Davis actively wants a powerful leader who he can just hand the keys too. That was his plan with Gruden. Give him all the power, let him pick his own personnel team and then step away and leave them to it. I can see that appealing to Harbaugh. 

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Mark Davis and Jim Harbaugh would be a perfect match imo.  As eccentric as Mark Davis is I don't think he's the type of owner that runs interference when it comes to football operations.  Harbaugh could just draft JJ McCarthy and essentially bring him from Michigan.  As far as money goes, this is an owner that gave Jon Gruden a 10 year 100m dollar contract.  I think Davis would outbid the competition.

Not that you guys are wrong regarding your post to this subject, however, I'd point out that A.Pierce made a fairly strong case for himself and I could easily see him getting the chance with full offseason etc  to get the job with the quick turn around that team did from a messy situation.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Either way I think this is bad for the Bills, Patriots are 100% going to hire Vrabel and his style of football is tough. I think he's a good coach and probably coming to the AFC east. 

• Angry 1

Just now, The 9 Isles said:

Vrabel will land another HC gig, he is one of if not the top candidate right now for any opening. I hope he doesn't replace Belichick if he leaves.

If Bill and the Pats part ways, then it's a good bet he becomes the next Pats HC.

35 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wonder if there is any connection with McD coming from the Reid tree, and if Pederson would want our OC job in 2025.

Oh ****.  OC ...yeah I could be with that. Bring a WCO here with Allen's talent and it should be a good thing.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He clearly did not want to trade AJ Brown. You can't win consistently without a QB and without pass catchers.

""I love A.J. personally, but I am very comfortable with how this went down and how Jon and I were able to navigate," Titans coach Mike Vrabel said. "I try to support him and make decisions. Unfortunately, we understand if we are going to be here a while, we are not going to be able to keep every single player that we draft and develop."

And they replaced Brown with DHop this season--over 100 yards.  As for QB, Vrabel was on board with Levis. Even with Brown the year before he left, the Titans passing game stunk.

• Like (+1) 1

The Vrabel news is interesting, especially considering his career highlight is pretty much the same as McD's.....getting to an AFCCG against the Chiefs and losing. He's also won 2 road playoff games and McD has zero of those under his belt to this point.

But it just goes to show what is truly important to some owners, and obviously the Titans are going through a pretty significant rebuild moving forward with a young QB, King Henry and many other veterans impending departure, etc...so it does make sense to start fresh from that point of view where the Bills will still have Allen any many other pieces next year despite their own pending roster turnover, and coming off a playoff appearance even if they don't go far again.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

Vrabel will land another HC gig, he is one of if not the top candidate right now for any opening. I hope he doesn't replace Belichick if he leaves.

Why wouldn’t Tennessee try to trade him?  I think they could have pulled that off.  

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow this is a shocking move:

For my money Vrabel is a top 5 coach in the NFL, let down by poor roster management. I hope he doesn't end up in New England...

The Commanders new owner is thought to be one looking for a splash hire. This would qualify and I would keep my eye on them. 

3 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Either way I think this is bad for the Bills, Patriots are 100% going to hire Vrabel and his style of football is tough. I think he's a good coach and probably coming to the AFC east. 

He's a good coach.  Not worried given that NE roster.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Why wouldn’t Tennessee try to trade him?  I think they could have pulled that off.  

who's trading for a coach on the hot seat?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

The Vrabel news is interesting, especially considering his career highlight is pretty much the same as McD's.....getting to an AFCCG against the Chiefs and losing. He's also won 2 road playoff games and McD has zero of those under his belt to this point.

But it just goes to show what is truly important to some owners, and obviously the Titans are going through a pretty significant rebuild moving forward with a young QB, King Henry and many other veterans impending departure, etc...so it does make sense to start fresh from that point of view where the Bills will still have Allen any many other pieces next year despite their own pending roster turnover, and coming off a playoff appearance even if they don't go far again.

This assumes the Vrabel wasnt sick of ownership. This decision may have been made because of Vrabels feelings toward the org. Even if someone is a good coach, sometimes a relationship becomes to soured they have to go.

I expect hell be in Foxborough soon

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's a good coach.  Not worried given that NE roster.

I can agree, but a coach like Vrabel is very Belichick like, if he accidentally gets a QB he will be a hard out.

Now, he isn't very QB savvy, so he has to get lucky, but I don't even want that possibility lol.

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

I can agree, but a coach like Vrabel is very Belichick like, if he accidentally gets a QB he will be a hard out.

Now, he isn't very QB savvy, so he has to get lucky, but I don't even want that possibility lol.

A future HOF QB makes a lot of coaches look pretty good.  But one isn't walking through that door any time soon.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If Vrabel brings his own staff, I'd love to bring EB in as OC.

I would almost think Vrabel would bring Arthur Smith with him as OC. EB would be someone to consider ..but I'm also wondering if enough of the top HC candidates avoid the Carolina job that he finally gets a HC job there. 

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

WTF is so interesting about that? Vrabel has two losing seasons in a row under his belt. 

Are you going to make a similar dense post when Belichick gets canned or they part “mutually”?

Edited by Beast
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.