Josh Allen is kinda, sorta, in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Draconator

He's gonna need his own wing soon.  Isn't that like his 3rd or 4th NFL record?

I believe he has a QB rushing record (3 games (maybe 4) of 100 yards in a row)

First player to reach 100 TDs and 20 rushing TDs in first 4 years 

and now the 11 games of one and one.

I feel like I'm missing one.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Isn’t his patriots playoff game jersey in there?  If not it should be because that was awesome.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

most QB NFL records w/o a SB win ;)  I kid.  

Not to downplay this, but I feel like there are too many obscure records and I don't know how the Hall decides what to put in.  Also, wouldn't every jersey he's worn since and continued to expand on the record be in the hall?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Not to downplay this, but I feel like there are too many obscure records and I don't know how the Hall decides what to put in.  Also, wouldn't every jersey he's worn since and continued to expand on the record be in the hall?

Some of the records are more out there than others, but ones like that perfect offensive performance in the playoffs are pretty incredible and deserve to be in there. As to the second thing, I'd think they just put the one when he broke it and just change the current record number as it goes.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Probably more than that...all he does is set NFL Records nobody ever has and get disrespected by the media.

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Lots of bizarre records. First QB to score a rushing TD with 3 min left in a Thursday night football game. How about some real trophies please?

Yeah, let's not celebrate anything unless it's some trophy we had no part in achieving as fans. As for me, I'll relax and enjoy the entertainment of watching the best QB in history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am far less convinced that Josh will be in the HOF eventually.  Keep in mind the decision is not up to Bills fans, but to sportswriters around the country.  And they look at specific considerations, where he doesn't measure up.  He has never been All-Pro or MVP.  He has never in any particular year been seen as the best QB in the NFL.  He has no rings.  He has a reputation as an inconsistent performer (well-deserved this year, which is why he's not on the Pro Bowl squad).  If some of these limitations go away, then things could be different.  My hope is that he gets his ring(s), he makes an All-Pro list, and that those factors are turned around as reasons why he IS selected.

All I really care about is the Bills winning the Super Bowl.  If Josh plays meh and they win, I'll celebrate.  If Josh plays great and they lose, his performance will be no consolation at all.

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, let's not celebrate anything unless it's some trophy we had no part in achieving as fans. As for me, I'll relax and enjoy the entertainment of watching the best QB in history.

The best in history?  That must mean he's been the best in at least one year, right?  So which year would that be?

I love having Josh as our QB.  I think he's great.  But come on.  There's a substantial list of QBs who have been better throughout the NFL's history than Josh has been, and in each year since he started, there's been at least one QB who was recognized as better for that year.  

• Disagree 2

10 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I am far less convinced that Josh will be in the HOF eventually.  Keep in mind the decision is not up to Bills fans, but to sportswriters around the country.  And they look at specific considerations, where he doesn't measure up.  He has never been All-Pro or MVP.  He has never in any particular year been seen as the best QB in the NFL.  He has no rings.  He has a reputation as an inconsistent performer (well-deserved this year, which is why he's not on the Pro Bowl squad).  If some of these limitations go away, then things could be different.  My hope is that he gets his ring(s), he makes an All-Pro list, and that those factors are turned around as reasons why he IS selected.

All I really care about is the Bills winning the Super Bowl.  If Josh plays meh and they win, I'll celebrate.  If Josh plays great and they lose, his performance will be no consolation at all.

The best in history?  That must mean he's been the best in at least one year, right?  So which year would that be?

I love having Josh as our QB.  I think he's great.  But come on.  There's a substantial list of QBs who have been better throughout the NFL's history than Josh has been, and in each year since he started, there's been at least one QB who was recognized as better for that year.  

He's the best every year. No other QB is on his level besides arguably Mahomes. There's certainly no other QB I'd rather watch more.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Pro Bowl is a ***** joke 2 of the guys in it have just 2 fewer turnovers than Josh and 14 and 15 fewer TDs make that make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

am far less convinced that Josh will be in the HOF eventually.  Keep in mind the decision is not up to Bills fans, but to sportswriters around the country.  And they look at specific considerations, where he doesn't measure up.  He has never been All-Pro or MVP.  He has never in any particular year been seen as the best QB in the NFL.  He has no rings.  He has a reputation as an inconsistent performer (well-deserved this year, which is why he's not on the Pro Bowl squad).  If some of these limitations go away, then things could be different.  My hope is that he gets his ring(s), he makes an All-Pro list, and that those factors are turned around as reasons why he IS selected.

I mean the statistically he’s on pace to be in the top 5-10 QBs ever. 

Josh’s average season the last 4 years blows some of the recent MVP seasons out of the water. Somehow this inconsistent QB is consistently putting up MVP numbers since breaking out in 2020. We’re going to penalize the guy for consistently being elite while MAYBE 1 other guy a year produces a similar season and gets an award. 

His *career* INT% of 2.4% is equal to guys in a similar era like Matthew Stafford and better than Rivers, Roethlisberger, Manning and Newton to name a few. Drew Brees sat at 2.3%. Want to talk about fumbles? Lamar? Hurts? They’re not passers like Josh Allen. Hurts averages 3 fumbles lost a season, Lamar 4, Josh 4. How come we don’t hear about their fumbling problem? 

Sure, let’s talk about all the other dual threat QBs that throw the ball like Josh…. Waiting… Josh is about to have his 4th straight 4,000 yard passing season. Lamar, Newton and Hurts have combined for 1 between the 3 of them… it came in Newton’s rookie season. 

If you do not want to recognize how great he truly is, I just feel sorry you (and sports writers) are willing to miss it. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Tied for most rushing TDs in a season by a QB (with Jalen Hurts this season) with 15. 

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Josh’s average season the last 4 years blows some of the recent MVP seasons out of the water. Somehow this inconsistent QB is consistently putting up MVP numbers since breaking out in 2020. We’re going to penalize the guy for consistently being elite while MAYBE 1 other guy a year produces a similar season and gets an award. 

His *career* INT% of 2.4% is equal to guys in a similar era like Matthew Stafford and better than Rivers, Roethlisberger, Manning and Newton to name a few. Drew Brees sat at 2.3%. Want to talk about fumbles? Lamar? Hurts? They’re not passers like Josh Allen. Hurts averages 3 fumbles lost a season, Lamar 4, Josh 4. How come we don’t hear about their fumbling problem? 

Sure, let’s talk about all the other dual threat QBs that throw the ball like Josh…. Waiting… Josh is about to have his 4th straight 4,000 yard passing season. Lamar, Newton and Hurts have combined for 1 between the 3 of them… it came in Newton’s rookie season. 

If you do not want to recognize how great he truly is, I just feel sorry you (and sports writers) are willing to miss it. 

Right or wrong, I think Bills fans dismiss how much the INT's hurt is rep. The best QB's in his era are 2% or lower. You can debate that number all day as Bills fans do which I really don't disagree with. I mean Tua and Lawrence are a 2.2%. So what, like .2% worse?  Why don't they get the label? I don't know. Maybe it's because they have never actually pushed Mahomes for the crown and Josh has so people had to find reasons to knock him down. Which I really do believe is the actual reason. 

Josh does have a degree of control over this. His INT% keeps getting worse. Each year since 2020 which really should not happen. It's just reinforcing the narrative on him. I also know the only good QB in Josh's 2.4% area who is currently active is Stafford.  Sure Josh has production like a pure animal and that does matter if you're sane, but purist and attack dogs will not allow a trade in INT% for production. They want to see the sub 2%.

Here is the active list for anybody that wants to look. 

image.thumb.png.d4e9b13485a68bfa318be0c9fbf58698.png

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Rings is not a requirement. If it was, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, and Sonny Jurgensen wouldn't be in. But they are.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

U and Kdiggs hang at the same bar dontcha??  Come on you can admit it.....

Drew Bledsoe's game ball vs. the Vikings in 2002 also was displayed in the Hall of Fame, FYI... I went and saw it myself in 2003. Unfortunately things like this aren't automatic 😕

"So off they went to Minnesota in Week 2 with that heavy baggage in tow, a decided underdog in the absurdly loud Metrodome. No one gave the Bills much of a chance, but Bledsoe wasn’t paying attention to the pundits.

In just his second game for the Bills, he set a team record for passing yards with 463, a mark that still stands, and his third touchdown pass of the day, a 48-yarder to Peerless Price in overtime, produced a thrilling 45-39 victory."

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/08/05/drew-bledsoe-set-bills-passing-record-thrilling-ot-win-over-vikings/3293246001/

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's a good placeholder for the full exhibit

Exactly Josh Allen is already one of the greatest Buffalo Bills players in there history of the franchise. I have been a Bills fan since 1975 and I have seen a lot of great Bills players. Josh Allen is doing things athletically off the charts. Some of those throws I have never seen until Josh Allen. Players draped all over him and he has the arm strength to make throws very few quarterbacks can make. Josh Allen has better arm strength than Jim Kelly in his prime. Jim Kelly is in the Hall Of Fame so will be Josh Allen regardless if Josh Allen wins a Super Bowl Championship or not in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

19 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Good Lord, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF.  I think he certainly does.  I'm just telling you that I don't think the sportswriters of a few years from now, five years after he retires, will retain the impression we all have of him.  If he doesn't overcome the shortcomings I've mentioned, they will not think he matches up.  Look at the trouble and delays that Andre Reed had.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.