Daquan Jones opinions?

Simon

Thought his legs/jump looked fantastic throughout the game. He has clearly been busting his ass to be ready to go. If he hadn't, I think he'd have been flagging by late in the 3rd.

Also caught him playing with one arm on multiple occasions. He doesn't trust it yet. Seems to be smart and aggressive enough to compensate for it by using his legs to drive people where he wants them to go, though.

Not a liability at all and a better showing than I expected from a guy that hasn't been able to work out for 2-3 months.

• Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

He’s a guy who would benefit from a few more weeks of playing 

No doubt; or maybe even a few more weeks of not playing. Which I'm guessing would be the case if it was Week 11.

I was just happy to see that he had obviously been working sooo hard to be available and effective when he got the green light.

Maybe it's character, maybe it's contract; either way I really liked to see it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He looked ok on the plays I looked at him.

Definitely not as sudden with his hands, but idk what else I expected.

Still got some penetration and plays well off of Oliver. 

I do believe he's at least better than the alternative already, though; especially since Phillips is out.

It's certainly not a "Von" like situation. Daquan already doing ok. He's not "top dt in football" good like he was, but not a liability like Von

Saw him getting doubled a few times, he looked fast , didn't really pop off the screen much but looked ready to go. Glad he got some reps in this gm, next week can increase his snaps a bit more. 

Big Ed should be an all pro. 

At its core, these guys play football at this level mainly to "make money".   Ed Oliver as much as admitted as much when asked about his increased sacks this year... he immediately referenced his big bonus for reaching 10 sacks rather than how it helped the team.   and his sack bonus is small relative to his base contract, which sort of proves the point.   He says "that's what they pay me to do".   Value exchanged for value.  

Fans get lost in this "win one for the Gipper" mindset when guys like Jones, in a contract expiration year where he has very little on tape, needs to get back on the field somehow, anyhow, to show he still "has it" so that he can get a new big contract from some team for next year.  Especially important now, as this will be his last big contract in all likelihood, so he needs to strike while the iron is hot.   I'm not convinced that winning Super Bowls, etc.  is front and center for most NFL players.  The next big contract is.  

He would not be in such a rush to get back if he was signed for next year, in my opinion.   Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe some NFL players are more altruistic than I think (eg. Matt Milano, however I think he just screwed up) , but these guys mostly ball out in the last year of their contract bc they want to increase their market value, period.   Eg. we shall see, but IMHO Epenesa and Floyd ain't takin "home town discounts" to help the team win the SB next year.  They'll go where the $$ tak$s them.   

Hate to burst the balloon that Jones is coming back to "help the good ole team" , but it's largely about the $$ fellas.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Thought his legs/jump looked fantastic throughout the game. He has clearly been busting his ass to be ready to go. If he hadn't, I think he'd have been flagging by late in the 3rd.

Also caught him playing with one arm on multiple occasions. He doesn't trust it yet. Seems to be smart and aggressive enough to compensate for it by using his legs to drive people where he wants them to go, though.

Not a liability at all and a better showing than I expected from a guy that hasn't been able to work out for 2-3 months.

Playing with one arm?

I get the trust factor, but that’s not a good development.

Because that’s Jordan Phillips last year who played snaps like his right arm was in an invisible sling and the Bills kept him out there in that condition for WEEKS. 

If you’re going to make Joseph inactive on top of it. 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

At its core, these guys play football at this level mainly to "make money".   Ed Oliver as much as admitted as much when asked about his increased sacks this year... he immediately referenced his big bonus for reaching 10 sacks rather than how it helped the team.   and his sack bonus is small relative to his base contract, which sort of proves the point.   He says "that's what they pay me to do".   Value exchanged for value.  

Fans get lost in this "win one for the Gipper" mindset when guys like Jones, in a contract expiration year where he has very little on tape, needs to get back on the field somehow, anyhow, to show he still "has it" so that he can get a new big contract from some team for next year.  Especially important now, as this will be his last big contract in all likelihood, so he needs to strike while the iron is hot.   I'm not convinced that winning Super Bowls, etc.  is front and center for most NFL players.  The next big contract is.  

He would not be in such a rush to get back if he was signed for next year, in my opinion.   Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe some NFL players are more altruistic than I think (eg. Matt Milano, however I think he just screwed up) , but these guys mostly ball out in the last year of their contract bc they want to increase their market value, period.   Eg. we shall see, but IMHO Epenesa and Floyd ain't takin "home town discounts" to help the team win the SB next year.  They'll go where the $$ tak$s them.   

Hate to burst the balloon that Jones is coming back to "help the good ole team" , but it's largely about the $$ fellas.  

Yeah, that fits in with his excited face and "BIG DUB" moment running into the tunnel after the game... jaded much???

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Of course they want the money, why else put your body through that kind of abuse. We seem to take players having surgery as just 'part of the game', but having surgery is a big deal. They have very few years to make hay, so they push it. Nothing wrong with it and I doubt most fans didn't already realize how big a factor money plays into it.  Most players won't sniff a championship, they should make whatever they can , while they can.  Having said that, the competitive drive needs to be there to be effective, Jones obviously has that.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Ed Oliver was stealing all the best tackles 

The guy is greedy 

Ed Oliver is turning into everything the Bills thought they were drafting with the #9 pick and then some.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Saw him getting doubled a few times, he looked fast , didn't really pop off the screen much but looked ready to go. Glad he got some reps in this gm, next week can increase his snaps a bit more. 

Big Ed should be an all pro. 

He play more than 50% of the snaps in a rotation. I think he's just getting started. Played well enough for the coaches to leave him in there.

55 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ed Oliver is turning into everything the Bills thought they were drafting with the #9 pick and then some.

I remember draft night sitting there being completely thrilled how the first 7 picks went knowing that the Bills had either Hockenson or Oliver no matter what.

I really like Hock but man I’m so thankful Detroit passed on Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

While I think that you’re correct in general, it’s not an either-or situation. Yes, it’s a business and cashing in is almost always priority #1. The main exception is when we see players at the end of their careers who want a ring. While they all want paid the vast majority also want to achieve at the highest level in their careers. That means winning a championship (as well as individual awards). There also are teams that bond well and those players want to help their teammates and team achieve. Look no further than the current Browns team to see an extreme example of that. From most reports the Bills have that too.

I see it as two separate mentalities and seasons. The regular season and the associated contracts are about getting paid well. The postseason is about winning a championship because those paychecks are not close to what players make for the regular season (unless they are making league minimum). 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not at all surprised at the possibility he was favoring one arm.  I would expect that it will be less of an issue in another week.  How much less is anybody's guess.

Daquan Jones makes me realize that I don't know as much about football as I think I do. He doesn't seem all that noticable to me but then the advanced stats come out and he's in the same tier as Aaron Donald and the like.

Not that I doubt it because we all saw the defense fall apart without him against the Bengals in the playoffs last year.

I like him, he plays well, seems to know his positions responsibilities, he should be re-signed jmo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.