Favourite stadia in the league ...

Bill Grundy

Was wondering ... 

As an overseas tellyclapper, I don't get much access to the reality of football in the States. I only get access to the TV production. And I know from the sports I attend over here that this production can often have little in common with the actual game-going experience itself. 

So, for those of you who travel to road games, which are the best / worst stadia in the league? Are there some that you look forward to visiting, some that have more soul than others, some that you just hate? Some that surprised you?

I was at Tottenham this year.  Which I thought worked really well as an NFL ground, tbh (whereas Wembley doesn't) and if the Bills are basing the new one on that, it's quite exciting. 

But it has always seemed to me that Rich Stadium - or whatever it's called this week - is one of the very best in the league. But then I love old stadia. and find, say, the Texans or Cards stadia seem to be big and corporate but lacking in character somewhat. 

Anyway, just interested. Any views?

Edited by Bill Grundy
  • Like (+1) 2

I’ve only been to the old Meadowlands, the old Texas Stadium, FedEx, Arrowhead, and M&T.  

The first three were/are complete dumps.  Arrowhead, at least before the renovation, was a lot like the Ralph except in red.  M&T was pretty nice actually. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a nice one for luxuries. Soldier Field or Lambeau for the history and atmosphere and obviously Rich/Ralph for the fans.

Did get to go to Lumen Stadium at the tail end of the L.o.B when we played there, that was just as nuts as Bills fans can get. Bob Woods had a game that day! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, spartan19 said:

Being a season ticket holder thst sits behind the visitors bench, i regularly have fans from other cities next me me that rave about our stadium, especially the sitelines.  I hope the new stadium is as nice for actually watching the game. Its all i care about.

Pegula and his team said that was the #1 priority for the new stadium.

FWIW.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sometime these great new stadiums don't work out as planned.  Example is Jerry's House.

I went there when it was first built and yes it is impressive but going in there was like hanging into an airport hangar, it was "too big".  Most cowboys fans are dead and this big open space didn't make it acoustically impressive at all.  In fact, most of the game I ended up watching the game on their massive overhead screens.   Who wants to go to a quiet game and to watch the game from a screen?

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I live in the Chicago-area & I can tell you The Ralph is a 100x better stadium experience than Soldier Field.

I've been to several other NFL stadiums & not been blown away by any, but I haven't been to LA or Dallas.

The worst was the dome in St Louis while the Rams were there. Domes suck, but it was also the most quiet large building I've ever been inside of. We ditched our seats and moved up to 10th row behind the Rams' bench. Between plays, I could hear an entire conversation between Kurt Warner & Jason Sehorn.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The stadium is stunning but the over the top pumped in fake noise makes it a bad experience. 

LOL, agreed. I was at the game and was laughing at the 3rd down "noise" coming from the PA system as opposed to the smattering of Charger fans in the house.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Have been to Sofi, jville, arrowhead, Baltimore, candlestick, Oakland co, la co, Jack Murphy, Tottenham, and of course Rich Stadium.  In terms of pure luxury and just being nice SOFI is the best. Perfect for LA.  But each time I am there I do kinda miss being able to slam the bleachers and make some noise. It’s nice though. I hope they make the rows bigger in new stadium as I thought they were kinda narrow at Tottenham. Watching though fans start standing in Tottenham in end zone area was pretty cool. Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Have been to Sofi, jville, arrowhead, Baltimore, candlestick, Oakland co, la co, Jack Murphy, Tottenham, and of course Rich Stadium.  In terms of pure luxury and just being nice SOFI is the best. Perfect for LA.  But each time I am there I do kinda miss being able to slam the bleachers and make some noise. It’s nice though. I hope they make the rows bigger in new stadium as I thought they were kinda narrow at Tottenham. Watching though fans start standing in Tottenham in end zone area was pretty cool. Go Bills. 

Baltimore is the closest to the ralph I've seen. The titans stadium is awful nice for the vibe as well but no pregame.

Been to Carolina, it's dull. So is Jacksonville. The atmosphere is not authentic.

Houston, Atlanta, Detroit are just building where football is played. 

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The stadium is stunning but the over the top pumped in fake noise makes it a bad experience. 

You sure this happened? Because it's illegal under NFL rules.

The Falcons even lost a draft pick for doing it...

https://www.nfl.com/news/atlanta-falcons-lose-2016-pick-for-pumping-fake-noise-0ap3000000482500

• Agree 2

Both of these stadiums are no longer around, but I was at Candlestick to see Bill's 49ers and Jack Murphy in San Diego to see Bills Chargers. Candlestick was good. Loud crowd, good energy but hell getting in and out. Jack Murphy was far better. Not really any bad seats, plenty of parking in a large mixed use area. And I got to see Drew Brees with the Chargers. The most accurate passer I have ever seen live. 

I vote for a stadium where you can roll your own keg in! The Rockpile!

I love the Ralph, of course. The others I’ve been to have all had their own strengths and weaknesses. Lambeau is the most unique, just sitting in the middle of a residential neighborhood. There is something cool about that entire experience with everybody parking and tailgating in front yards. Signs reading “Park and Pee $30!”  

I like Nashville because I’ve been to a bunch of games there and the pedestrian bridge over the river is awesome. The stadium was nothing special, but did not seem to be in need of replacement by any means, but this is Nashville. They can fill a new palace, and they can justify the dome for other events. 

Of places I have not been but would like to go, I think I’d have Denver and Minneapolis at the top of that list. Does the Vikings dome still feel like a dome? 

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sometime these great new stadiums don't work out as planned.  Example is Jerry's House.

I went there when it was first built and yes it is impressive but going in there was like hanging into an airport hangar, it was "too big".  Most cowboys fans are dead and this bog open space didn't make it acoustically impressive at all.  In fact, mot of the game I ended up watching the game on their massive overhead screens,  No who wants to go to a quiet game and to watch the game from a screen?

At least the screens are big.  The old Texas Stadium had the same fan energy and teeny-tiny screens in the corners.  Growing up and seeing the Cowboys on tv seemingly every week back in the ‘70s, I was expecting a lot more than I found.  It might be the worst of the ones I’ve been to in terms of ambience and energy. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, stevens273 said:

Was at SoFi Saturday night. Absolutely gorgeous. The Chargers production was not great. Very few replays on the 360 video screen. PA announcer sucked. Never mentioned a Bills player by name. 
I hope the Rams do a much better job. 

I agree completely.  The wi-fi was awful also.  The Bills would get a sack, and I'd have no idea who.  But my biggest complaint was how far away from the action I felt.  I was in the top deck, but only the 3rd row.  There were at least 30 rows behind me.  The players looked tiny.  Yes, it's stunning architecturally, but I found myself thinking bout the new place.  I think they'll get it right. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bill Grundy said:

Was wondering ... 

As an overseas tellyclapper, I don't get much access to the reality of football in the States. I only get access to the TV production. And I know from the sports I attend over here that this production can often have little in common with the actual game-going experience itself. 

So, for those of you who travel to road games, which are the best / worst stadia in the league? Are there some that you look forward to visiting, some that have more soul than others, some that you just hate? Some that surprised you?

I was at Tottenham this year.  Which I thought worked really well as an NFL ground, tbh (whereas Wembley doesn't) and if the Bills are basing the new one on that, it's quite exciting. 

But it has always seemed to me that Rich Stadium - or whatever it's called this week - is one of the very best in the league. But then I love old stadia. and find, say, the Texans or Cards stadia seem to be big and corporate but lacking in character somewhat. 

Anyway, just interested. Any views?

I totally missed the memo that the plural of stadium is stadia and suddenly feel very dumb lol.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I haven't been to any except for Highmark.

I can't imagine there is a better atmosphere and venue in the nfl for my needs and wants.  No nonsense, low frills venue with great sight lines.  Only purpose is football spectating.  The crowd is entirely blue collar.  Parking in and habitating a neighborhood is also great.  It's a unique and rare environment we have.  "College atmosphere" can't be said enough.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, bearstobills said:

I agree completely.  The wi-fi was awful also.  The Bills would get a sack, and I'd have no idea who.  But my biggest complaint was how far away from the action I felt.  I was in the top deck, but only the 3rd row.  There were at least 30 rows behind me.  The players looked tiny.  Yes, it's stunning architecturally, but I found myself thinking bout the new place.  I think they'll get it right. 

I just received a survey from the Chargers today about my experience at the game. Gave everything glowing reviews except for the music and lack of replays.  With all of that screen space, you'd think that they would overwhelm you with replays.

28 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I haven't been to any except for Highmark.

I can't imagine there is a better atmosphere and venue in the nfl for my needs and wants.  No nonsense, low frills venue with great sight lines.  Only purpose is football spectating.  The crowd is entirely blue collar.  Parking in and habitating a neighborhood is also great.  It's a unique and rare environment we have.  "College atmosphere" can't be said enough.  

I know doctors and lawyers... that attend Bills games. Not blue collar. Either way, it's not a good or a bad thing. Who cares what job they have or what their income is. They're fans.

Edited by klos63

5 hours ago, Stevie Ray said:

LOL, agreed. I was at the game and was laughing at the 3rd down "noise" coming from the PA system as opposed to the smattering of Charger fans in the house.

That giant wrap around jumbo-tron or whatever they call it is also a giant speaker. The Charger fans were hardly making any authentic noise so SoFi and their engineers simply turn up the volume so loud you need earplugs.  In fact every guest service station hands out free earplugs.  The 300 section is the worst because you're facing directly in front of the 260 speakers. 

And as others have accurately stated, last Saturdays game showed not one Bills fan or Bills player during any part of the game. Not even the National Anthem. It was a very wierd and annoying experience. The stadium is also very steep so don't rise up too quickly. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think I've been to about 9 different NFL stadiums.  I would say my favorites are probably Lambeau and Arrowhead but I've always been an old school football kinda guy so I'm more about character and history than bells and whistles.  Denver's stadium was also pretty cool 

The Lambeau experience is top notch. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And as others have accurately stated, last Saturdays game showed not one Bills fan or Bills player during any part of the game. Not even the National Anthem. It was a very wierd and annoying experience. 

Credit to the stadium cameramen/women for managing that!

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

You sure this happened? Because it's illegal under NFL rules.

The Falcons even lost a draft pick for doing it...

https://www.nfl.com/news/atlanta-falcons-lose-2016-pick-for-pumping-fake-noise-0ap3000000482500

Yeah I'm pretty sure my eardrums will attest to it.  Even consession stand people couldn't hear the orders. When you spend 5 large for a stadium I'm sure they cut a deal with the NFL or some work around. 

32 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I just received a survey from the Chargers today about my experience at the game. Gave everything glowing reviews except for the music and lack of replays.  With all of that screen space, you'd think that they would overwhelm you with replays.

I know doctors and lawyers... that attend Bills games. Not blue collar. Either way, it's not a good or a bad thing. Who cares what job they have or what their income is. They're fans.

Wow, that another thing....no replays the whole game...SoFi food is also pretty bad.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

2 hours ago, bearstobills said:

I was in Sec 346 and I felt I was a mile up. Wish I had binocs?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.