The #2 seed is actually obtainable now

Virgil

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If the Ravens win tonight and next week against the Dolphins, they would he 13-4 and have the 1 seed locked up. They play the Steelers week 18. They would more than likely rest starters that game. If the Steelers beat the Seahawks this coming week, that would put the Steelers at 9-7 which means if we lose to Miami and the Steelers beat the Ravens, they would get the playoff spot over us. If the Ravens lose tonight and beat the Dolphins next week, they still don't obtain the 1 if the Browns win on Thursday night because the Browns would have a shot at the 1 seed and the division. The Ravens losing tonight still gives them something to play for week 18. If not, the lock up the 1 which is bad for us if we lose to Miami

We only need Cincinnati or the Steelers to lose one game if two of the Colts, Jag and Texans lose a game. And the Texans and Colts play each other. 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

What's difficult is that's not how that sentence structure works. That implies they're resting their starters because they secured the one seed in week 18 against the Steelers. So when are they resting them, what week is it, is there another one? A sentence that would actually work would be:

The Ravens rest their starters against the Steelers in week 18 because they've already clinched the 1 seed.

I mean..... clinched is past tense therefore it already happned.... .otherwise I would have said the Ravens clinch the 1 seed against the Steelers. It's okay Mr. English Teacher... I'll make sure I put the proper commas in for you next time

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

We only need Cincinnati or the Steelers to lose one game if two of the Colts, Jag and Texans lose a game. And the Texans and Colts play each other. 

I'm aware. But my point is, there is a chance both the Bengals and Steelers win next week. The Steelers play the Ravens week 18 with the Ravens possibly having the 1 seed locked up. Which means they would rest their starters against the Steelers and allows the Steelers a better shot of getting in over us if we lose to Miami. Same with the Bengals. If they beat the Chiefs, they play the Browns who may also be resting starters against them week 18. Both scenarios are bad for the Bills because if that happens, either one can knock us out of the Playoffs if we lose a game

6 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I mean..... clinched is past tense therefore it already happned.... .otherwise I would have said the Ravens clinch the 1 seed against the Steelers. It's okay Mr. English Teacher... I'll make sure I put the proper commas in for you next time

Really did they, when was that?

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He didn't word it right. He meant if the Ravens clinch the 1 seed in week 17, they would have nothing to play for in week 18 and rest their starters. Which could allow the Steelers to win and get to 10-7 of they beat the Seahawks next week which would eliminate us if we lose to Miami 

I know, I was just making a joke about it, then they tripled down on it.🤷‍♂️

Edited by Warcodered

17 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

We only need JAX and 1 of PIT/CIN loss. It can also be one of PIT/CIN L snd both HOU and IND L

JAX L with 8 wins and no matter what hou and Indy does it guarenteed the 2nd place team can’t get 10 wins. If Jags L and HOU and IND win then HOU/IND is for division title and 2nd place is under 10 wins.

The idea is only 1 other team can get to 10 wins other than BUF and CLE in WC spots.

in AFC west a 2nd place team will not have 10 wins. A 3rd place team in north can get to 10 wins

Edited by djp14150

8 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

In week 17, which was implied by the clinched. It's okay to just apoligize for being an *** and move on but hey you have a Merry Christmas.

So in the future not the past.

15 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I mean yes exactly.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm aware. But my point is, there is a chance both the Bengals and Steelers win next week. The Steelers play the Ravens week 18 with the Ravens possibly having the 1 seed locked up. Which means they would rest their starters against the Steelers and allows the Steelers a better shot of getting in over us if we lose to Miami. Same with the Bengals. If they beat the Chiefs, they play the Browns who may also be resting starters against them week 18. Both scenarios are bad for the Bills because if that happens, either one can knock us out of the Playoffs if we lose a game

The Bills could also lose out. 

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

We only need JAX and 1 of PIT/CIN loss

JAX L with 8 wins and no matter what hou and Indy does it guarenteed the 2nd place team can’t get 10 wins. If Jags L and HOU and IND win then HOU/IND is for division title and 2nd place is under 10 wins.

The idea is only 1 other team can get to 10 wins other than BUF and CLE in WC spots.

in AFC west a 2nd place team will not have 10 wins. A 3rd place team in north can get to 10 wins

Actually, short of the Steelers and Bengals both losing a game, we need 1 loss by the Steelers or Bengals out of four games, combined with 1 loss by either the Jags or the winner of the Colts/Texans game (which would have to happen next week.)

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Can't believe the Dolphins @ Ravens game wasn't flexed. Definitely better than Vikings/Packers

They want to flex Buffalo/Miami in week 18 for sure; maybe they don’t want the same team flexed twice in a row. 

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Actually, short of the Steelers and Bengals both losing a game, we need 1 loss by the Steelers or Bengals out of four games, combined with 1 loss by either the Jags or the winner of the Colts/Texans game (which would have to happen next week.)

Moving goal posts here…

we are talking of clinching next week. But yes similar logic applies over both weeks.

Buffalo W one for 10 wins snd others lose games so they can’t get to 10 wins.

right now PIT, CIN, JAX, and HOU/IND can get to 10 wins with one of the latter 2 being division champ. You only want at most of the WC spots that get to 10.  Tie/loss by 2 of PIT, CIN, JAX or both HOU/IND L accomplish that after next week.

buffalo can get in at 9-8 if it’s just them and KC or LV tied for last spot

Edited by djp14150

55 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Ravens have struggled against inferior teams too.  They struggled against the Chargers, one legged Joe Burrow, the Titans, the Cards and lost the Colts and Steelers.

They aren’t the class of the AFC.

Who’s better? Really, who can you say is better? They have only LOST 3 games, the Bills choked 6 times,  Miami is a fraud, it’s hard to take a Flacco lead team serious as the best, so who else?

2 hours ago, Beast said:

If we end ip as a wildcard and the 6 seed most likely we will play our first game at Arrowhead.

That's very possible. Also quite possible that we could play at Miami two consecutive weeks if the Ravens beat the Dolphins but then Miami beats us in week 18 (Miami being the 2 seed and Buffalo the 7 seed).

15 minutes ago, BRH said:

They want to flex Buffalo/Miami in week 18 for sure; maybe they don’t want the same team flexed twice in a row. 

Leading up to this weekend, I was sure we’d be flexed into Sun @ 4:25 or 8 pm.  If we both have clinched playoff spots and the game is for the division and #2 seed instead, I could see this game being Sat night @ 8 pm instead.  We will

see how it plays out….

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

Leading up to this weekend, I was sure we’d be flexed into Sun @ 4:25 or 8 pm.  If we both have clinched playoff spots and the game is for the division and #2 seed instead, I could see this game being Sat night @ 8 pm instead.  We will

see how it plays out….

They already announced it wasn't getting flexed

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Can't believe the Dolphins @ Ravens game wasn't flexed. Definitely better than Vikings/Packers

My guess is that the NFL is counting on Week 18 being Bills/Phins flex, so either they don't want back-to-back weeks with same team OR it's possible that puts Miami above the allowable primetime (unable to flex week 18)

Buffalo Bills cannot earn the #1 seed. Even if Baltimore loses to San Fran, next weeks Baltimore vs Miami would be between two 11 win teams. If Miami loses Baltimore would have 12 wins. If Miami wins then Bills cannot catch them. I was curious and answered my own question

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think they mean Dolphins vs Ravens

Right, we already knew that.  I think they didn’t flex that game because they intend to flex Miami in week 18.  I wonder if there’s a rule against flexing teams in back to back weeks.  Would make sense if there was. 

39 minutes ago, poo said:

Buffalo Bills cannot earn the #1 seed. Even if Baltimore loses to San Fran, next weeks Baltimore vs Miami would be between two 11 win teams. If Miami loses Baltimore would have 12 wins. If Miami wins then Bills cannot catch them. I was curious and answered my own question

What if they tie next week tho?

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Who’s better? Really, who can you say is better? They have only LOST 3 games, the Bills choked 6 times,  Miami is a fraud, it’s hard to take a Flacco lead team serious as the best, so who else?

I don’t think there is a class of the AFC.  
So if we didn’t choke, we would be undefeated?  
So then us.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

What if they tie next week tho?

Cool! I have no idea about the implications of a tie in that contest. Both teams would have fewer losses than the bills going 11-5-1. Maybe that would be the difference

Am I missing something, or do we only need 2 things to happen and we get the #2 seed no matter what?

1) Win out

2) Ravens beat the Dolphins next week

Is that really it? I've been messing around with the playoff simulator, and that seems to be all that's required. I guess I didn't realize how obtainable that actually is. Of course, even that scenario isn't "easy" given how up & down the Bills are, or how unpredictable the NFL is overall. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Am I missing something, or do we only need 2 things to happen and we get the #2 seed no matter what?

1) Win out

2) Ravens beat the Dolphins next week

Is that really it? I've been messing around with the playoff simulator, and that seems to be all that's required. I guess I didn't realize how obtainable that actually is. Of course, even that scenario isn't "easy" given how up & down the Bills are, or how unpredictable the NFL is overall. 

Yea that’s all we need. 3 games to go the right way 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, boyst said:

I'm confused why everyone is discounting Jacksonville. They have an easy schedule 

Because they haven’t won a game in the last month 

14 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

I'm not

Change to your local team ..the Vikings …

They are winners 

Edited by Aussie Joe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.