NFL owners approve game in Brazil for 2024 (5 total: 3 London/1 Germany/1 Brazil)

chongli

13 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Within the next few seasons there will be 16 international games a year. Every team will have 8 home, 8 away, and 1 international game. Likely split between 6-7 countries. 

I can definitely see this, and at least it would be fair.

They should expand the season by 1 week in order to add an extra bye week (not extra games) to help players recover. They had 2 bye weeks before. I hated it, but it gives players more of a chance to heal and miss fewer games. 

Each team would have their regular bye week, plus a bye week after their international game. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

KILL ME NOW.

The day will come when there is NFL on every day/night of the week...and the players' health will be the least of the league's concerns.

And they will make it an international sport, if they can.

Why is any of that bad?

Brazil shares timezones with us. It's one of the easiest places to do something like this.

4 minutes ago, Irv said:

I've banned Brazil. I went.  It was a horribly long flight, dangerous, and filthy.  Não adianta.  

A couple decades ago my wife took a job where she was going to have to travel to Brazil. She went through all of the training - including what to do if you are kidnapped, bought a cheap wedding ring, etc. She never went because the business demands of the Brazilians were setting the company up to be victimized by fraud and the deal fell through. That all made me never want to go there.

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

A couple decades ago my wife took a job where she was going to have to travel to Brazil. She went through all of the training - including what to do if you are kidnapped, bought a cheap wedding ring, etc. She never went because the business demands of the Brazilians were setting the company up to be victimized by fraud and the deal fell through. That all made me never want to go there.

I went to a place named Campinas.  Every building had graffiti.  The porches/balconies on every apartment building unit had chain link fence covering them to prevent break-in's.    The airport had two terminals.  Only one was completed.  The builders ran off with the money for the other second terminal.   I was told not to wear my watch if I went outside and to never leave the hotel at night.   It was like being in a minimum-security prison.  They're big into steaks down there. Every one I tried to choke down had whip marks on it where the jockey was hitting it.   Never again.    

Edited by Irv

33 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

They are also an embargo country. Shipping stuff to Brazil is a pain in the A$$.

How in the world that place got the Olympics is mind boggling.

Edited by Mark Vader

Every team has to give up a home game once every eight seasons, however even with that rule, there will be many teams not wanting to give up more than just the one obligated home game every eight seasons. If the NFL overexpands international games to eight per season, teams will need to give up home games more often.

I have also heard rumors the Cowboys could be the team hosting the Brazil game, for what it's worth.

Edited by chongli

With today’s announcement of next season’s game in Brazil, the NFL will have played a regular or preseason game in 5 of the 7 continents. Africa and Antarctica got next

I want to see the Bills take on the Dolphins in Antarctica. Still wish it were colder, Coach McDaniel?

Games  in 2024:

3 London

1 Munich

1 Sao Paolo

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-ownership-votes-to-double-international-games-inventory-beginning-in-2025

"In addition to the game in São Paulo, the 2024 NFL International Games will see three games played in London: two at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and a third at Wembley Stadium, where the Jacksonville Jaguars will play a home game as part of a multi-year partnership. A fifth game will see the NFL back in Germany for a third consecutive year, returning to Allianz Arena in Munich"

Edited by chongli

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

KILL ME NOW.

The day will come when there is NFL on every day/night of the week...and the players' health will be the least of the league's concerns.

And they will make it an international sport, if they can.

The Thursday games are the worst. 

Health aside (but a huge concern!), the Thursday product sucks. The short week makes the whole thing terrible. I would prefer Saturday, Sunday, Monday, with no team playing Monday then Saturday. 

The sport is way too hard on the body to shorten the time between games, keep people healthy, and put out a good product. 

Watch them add a Tuesday/Wednesday game and then make all practice optional. 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Thursday games are the worst. 

Health aside (but a huge concern!), the Thursday product sucks. The short week makes the whole thing terrible. I would prefer Saturday, Sunday, Monday, with no team playing Monday then Saturday. 

The sport is way too hard on the body to shorten the time between games, keep people healthy, and put out a good product. 

Watch them add a Tuesday/Wednesday game and then make all practice optional. 

Part of what makes football so unique and adds to the fantasy and gambling aspects, is having the games clumped together on mostly one day. 

IMO they are hurting the product by diluting it when they add additional days of the week

• Like (+1) 1

It's only coincidence that games are being proposed for large or growing gambling markets.  Shocked the NFL isn't playing on 100 yards of a city block in Singapore.  

The way I understand it, Spain has very restrictive gambling laws, especially as it relates to foreign entities.  

17 hours ago, QCity said:

Cant wait to hear Roger spin this as something the fans want. Yeah. Right.

I do. I'm sure there are others. I love the internationalization of the game. The more the merrier.

I realize I'm likely in the minority. But it's hard to be sure. I'd be interested in real data on that, as usually the people most against it are the ones that jump early into threads like this. 

44 minutes ago, Irv said:

I went to a place named Campinas.  Every building had graffiti.  The porches/balconies on every apartment building unit had chain link fence covering them to prevent break-in's.    The airport had two terminals.  Only one was completed.  The builders ran off with the money for the other second terminal.   I was told not to wear my watch if I went outside and to never leave the hotel at night.   It was like being in a minimum-security prison.  They're big into steaks down there. Every one I tried to choke down had whip marks on it where the jockey was hitting it.   Never again.    

I was just in Porto Allegre a year or two ago. Brazil is really the haves and the have nots. Some areas of cities are amazing, but they can get very bad very quickly. Rio is that way. One block great, the other super dangerous. Foreign currency is king. I took 40 mile Uber and it cost me $7USD. Went to a really nice sushi place, to stuff our faces and the whole thing, cocktails, apps, deserts, etc. came out to $40 with an American sized tip.  If you are an upper middle class American, you can live like the super wealthy in any expensive city. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I was told not to even pull my phone out in public. We got lucky, and were able to find a sweet Air BnB in a super great (wealthy) walkable neighborhood. Lots of shops, outdoor dinning, bopping around to do. We were able to spend a lot of late nights eating outside on patios, drinking, and making friends with some locals. 

But again. This was because we were 1. a bit lucky, and 2. my brother in law is from there so we had a very good lay of the land. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

They are also an embargo country. Shipping stuff to Brazil is a pain in the A$$.

How in the world that place got the Olympics is mind boggling.

With pretty major cities like Rio and Sao Paolo, people forget that Brazil is in fact a 3rd world country. For further context, if you are a Brazilian citizen you have to apply for a travel visa to get into Mexico. That is right, even Mexico is like, "meh, maybe we check you out before you come in". 

Really surprised that cancelled Spain for this. With some better scheduling, the addition of another bye, Europe feels like a place the NFL could plant some roots with a handful of teams. I don't understand the long term plan for Brazil in particular. 

• Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Part of what makes football so unique and adds to the fantasy and gambling aspects, is having the games clumped together on mostly one day. 

IMO they are hurting the product by diluting it when they add additional days of the week

Totally agree. Going to the other end of the spectrum like hockey with 82 games, when you play sporadically it is easy to tune out if they are bad or even mediocre. 

Having done a few flights to deep South America (Chile and Argentina) - those 11 hour flights are far easier than the 9 hour flights from the west coast to London.  I've done it in business class a few times... yeah, it's not a perfect sleep, but you wake up relatively refreshed and on the correct time.

In some cases it's better than a transcon between a place like LA and Buffalo.  That Christmas game against the Chargers is at 8pm eastern.  It'll finish around 11:30, they probably make it to the plane around 1:30 with an arrival in Buffalo around 6-ish in the morning.  Compare that to a 4pm eastern game in Brazil, finishes at 7:30, they get on the plane at 9:30 for a 7am arrival.  They can get an entire night's sleep on the plane.

28 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

So you won’t be watching any of the Saturday games this week?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

So you won’t be watching any of the Saturday games this week?

Oh I'll watch whenever they're on! 

But fantasy football is easy for casual fans to care more about the entire league because it's pretty much a 1 day commitment most of the season, aside from a game Monday and 1 Thursday. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unsure if I took crazy pills today, but wasn't in rumored that the NFL was trying to give the Bills the 2024 Madrid game next year? 

Could this mean Buffalo to Brazil? 

Buffalo already went abroad this year, and Miami has the international rights to Brazil, so I'm thinking no for next year. Plus, Brazilians don't care about unknown northern cities like Buffalo, lol.

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• chongli changed the title to NFL owners approve game in Brazil for 2024 (5 total: 3 London/1 Germany/1 Brazil)

Why does Mexico City keep getting passed up? I feel if there's anywhere you'd want to host an international game, it'd be a market in the same hemisphere & shares timezones with existing teams. 

I get Mexico isn't the richest country, but it's a sports-hungry country that now shares a huge amount of family & culture between itself & the US.

Just seems like it'd be easier on the players, more likely to succeed in attracting new fans, and not separated by such a huge distance.

17 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Why does Mexico City keep getting passed up? I feel if there's anywhere you'd want to host an international game, it'd be a market in the same hemisphere & shares timezones with existing teams. 

I get Mexico isn't the richest country, but it's a sports-hungry country that now shares a huge amount of family & culture between itself & the US.

Just seems like it'd be easier on the players, more likely to succeed in attracting new fans, and not separated by such a huge distance.

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/2023/10/18/652f471122601d0a658b4583.html

Mexico, especially Mexico City's iconic Estadio Azteca, holds a special place in the NFL's international circuit. This legendary stadium has witnessed NFL regular-season games in 2005, 2016, 2017, 2019, and most recently in 2022. However, fans looking forward to experiencing the thrilling spectacle of American football in Mexico will have to have a bit more patience. The hiatus is due to the ongoing renovations at Estadio Azteca, which won't be completed in time for the 2024 season. However, it's not a final goodbye. With renovations expected to wrap up by the following year, the NFL has indicated the potential return of the sport to Mexico City in 2025.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This international crap has been unwanted by the fans and players since day one, and the league just keeps flipping us all off.   If they want to be international… just go all in and put new franchises in these markets and let them see how that goes.  I mean what could go wrong with a bunch of teams playing nfl style football throughout Europe?  

But stop shorting the US fans, and increasing injury risk to our players.  It’s just flipping ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I'll tell you one problem with Mexico City and that's the altitude.  It's 2000 feet higher than Denver.  I have a home there and I can tell you, I have a hard time breathing my first few days in the city.  Not everyone is affected the same way, but I bet some players would have problems with it.  I'm sure kickers would like it...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.