Even if we miss the playoffs....

BillsBlue

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Rodgers - After his first year as a starter he was in the playoffs 8 straight years. He got hurt and then they missed the playoffs when he was 34 years old. From 26 to 33 he was in the playoffs every year. He was then back in two conference championships in his late 30's. 

Agreed. I will say this twice he did bail their collective a**es out as in 2013 & 2016 as they were pretty far back from the playoffs. Looking at how they rallied is pretty wild, 2016 they beat Detroit, Seattle, & Houston all who made the playoffs in their 6 game win streak that got them from 4-6 to 10-6. 2013 they won the division on that memorable Cobb 40 yard TD in CHI none the less. Division is most likely out of the question unless Bills win out and Miami is 11-5 where Rodgers had the division pretty open, but wild card is going to be there if they can get to 10 wins. 

Realistically I can see the Bills 9-7 heading into Miami as I think the offense is fine now, buts Josh will need a run like Rodgers had and the team itself needs some collectively clean games mistake wise to do it.

4 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I have an odd feeling we'll make it in but if we don't there's a whole ton of positives to be taken from this season. 

- Kincaid is a true stud, he will be a game breaker for our offense next year no doubt.

- Bernard is a stud as well and a playmaker that this defense needs, he's better than Edmunds.

-Cook is a baller and will be even better next season!!

-Spencer Brown is a legit RT for the future!!

-Cyrus will be a monster next year as he was better than average this year as a rook. 

-Shakir looks to be a playmaker and will be even better next year out of the slot(Beasely replacement finally).

-We now know Gabe is not it and can cut bate and draft a real #2/ eventual Diggs replacement.

-Ed Oliver is worth the contract and has finally got it all together.

If all this is true, why are the lowly Colts, Steelers, Browns, Texans, and Bronco's all ahead of the Bills!! When the Bills have a far superior QB, and the offense is 95% healthy.  Frankly I'm also tired of hearing about the D missing Milano, Jones, and White.. Milano is ALWAYS injured. In his best years he misses 5 games. White was/Is a shell of his pro bowl year, and Jones was a nice pick up, but never has made a pro bowl at any level. If the Bills don't win next week, it's over on merit.... Better to get a pick in the top 15. Despite your over stated superlatives above. The Bills are at best average. Especially with McD at the helm..     

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

If all this is true, why are the lowly Colts, Steelers, Browns, Texans, and Bronco's all ahead of the Bills!! When the Bills have a far superior QB, and the offense is 95% healthy.  Frankly I'm also tired of hearing about the D missing Milano, Jones, and White.. Milano is ALWAYS injured. In his best years he misses 5 games. White was/Is a shell of his pro bowl year, and Jones was a nice pick up, but never has made a pro bowl at any level. If the Bills don't win next week, it's over on merit.... Better to get a pick in the top 15. Despite your over stated superlatives above. The Bills are at best average. Especially with McD at the helm..     

You must have missed the memo.

Only the Bills are impacted by injuries.

All Bills players can switch positions and go from being a bench player to all pro.

Bills are better than all teams that beat them and have better record than them.

Bills get better by losing starters.

Bills have bad luck. Other teams just suck. 

Every Bills will be amazing if they become a starter next year, is terrible if the Bills dont resign.

5 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I have an odd feeling we'll make it in but if we don't there's a whole ton of positives to be taken from this season.:huh:

- Kincaid is a true stud, he will be a game breaker for our offense next year no doubt. ~ We all like Kincaid. Quality pick by Beane. 

- Bernard is a stud as well and a playmaker that this defense needs, he's better than Edmunds. ~ Bernard has been way better than expected. Better than TE.

-Cook is a baller and will be even better next season!! ~ Cook has been really good this year. Agreed. 

-Spencer Brown is a legit RT for the future!! ~ :blink: :huh: :sick: You have lost your mind. Spencer Brown IS the weakest link. Too many "lookout" blocks to count. 

-Cyrus will be a monster next year as he was better than average this year as a rook. ~ O'Cyrus was another good pick by Beane. Build the trenches.

-Shakir looks to be a playmaker and will be even better next year out of the slot(Beasely replacement finally). ~ Shakir has been much better. Promising for sure.

-We now know Gabe is not it and can cut bate and draft a real #2/ eventual Diggs replacement. ~ Most of us admitted this last year, Gabe is underwhelming. 

-Ed Oliver is worth the contract and has finally got it all together. ~ Ed got paid and proceeded to have his best year. That is rare. 

There's a lot of positives that have come out of this frustrating season imo. I'm a glass half full guy!! Hats off to Beanes drafting!!! We're going to be okay we have a lot of young talent at our nucleus now 🦬 

There is nothing positive about having a team that should be battling for the Lamar Hunt Trophy, missing the Playoffs entirely. And missing them mainly due to coaching failures and mental lapses. These things highlighted are all fine and dandy. Good for the individuals. But there are no participation trophies here. The bar was set and at this point they are underachieving to the best of their abilities. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What do you mean by "if nothing else"?     The problem with the complaints about Spencer Brown is that people don't have specific players that he should be replaced with.    There are literally MORE good QB's in the league now than good RT's........because there are less good RT's than good players at any other offensive position in the league..........but some people think you can just throw a high pick at the position and it's solved.   

Agree about Shakir.   He's a tweener.   That's filling a notable role this season because the Bills WR corps is so weak after Diggs..........but if they get a legit second outside option and Kincaid essentially becomes an every-snap slot receiver in 2024 then it's easy to envision Shakir NOT continuing to trend up.

You are correct about Brown. If he's the worst starter of the 5 the OL can still be very good. He's playing better as the season goes on while Torrence has slipped a little as most rookies do.

I would still draft an OT in round 2 or 3. There is no viable backup for Dawkins. Bates is the center in waiting if Morse retires. And if the draft pick outplays Brown then even better.

Has to be WR in the first round. 

1 hour ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Next year there will be another set of key players who will get injured and odds say it could be Diggs or Allen since they’ve been healthy for a while now.  Every year is the same story.  

Retaining McD for another year simply means Josh is yet another year older when we start over with a new coach and regime.

Watch.

56 minutes ago, H2o said:

There is nothing positive about having a team that should be battling for the Lamar Hunt Trophy, missing the Playoffs entirely. And missing them mainly due to coaching failures and mental lapses. These things highlighted are all fine and dandy. Good for the individuals. But there are no participation trophies here. The bar was set and at this point they are underachieving to the best of their abilities. 

Agreed, there are good pieces on this team for sure, and young players that look like hits that are developing but that doesn't change the fact that not making the playoffs would be an absolute embarrassment.  We have Josh Allen in his prime and an overall solid roster around him.  The losses on defense are tough, but McDermott should be able to at least keep things together here (or why else do we have him?).  The NE and Den losses were inexcusable, if we don't make the playoffs we have to let him go, Pegula would have no choice.   Silver linings on the roster, which every team has every year, are no reason not to be entirely outraged with what has happened this year.  I have been an optimist and a defender of the regime to this point, but cannot sit by and see Allen wasted after all the suffering Bills fans have endured.  This is it. Find a way to make the playoffs and make a deep run, or change better be coming. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

6 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I have an odd feeling we'll make it in but if we don't there's a whole ton of positives to be taken from this season. 

- Kincaid is a true stud, he will be a game breaker for our offense next year no doubt.

- Bernard is a stud as well and a playmaker that this defense needs, he's better than Edmunds.

-Cyrus will be a monster next year as he was better than average this year as a rook. 

-Shakir looks to be a playmaker and will be even better next year out of the slot(Beasely replacement finally).

-We now know Gabe is not it and can cut bate and draft a real #2/ eventual Diggs replacement.

There's a lot of positives that have come out of this frustrating season imo. I'm a glass half full guy!! Hats off to Beanes drafting!!! We're going to be okay we have a lot of young talent at our nucleus now 🦬 

You get an A for positivity and optimism.  But a C for realism.  

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the refreshing OP. You must’ve been away from TBD for two months in order to summon those words, but it’s a needed balance right now. 

I think with a different head coach and less turnovers for Allen this team could’ve been 9-3, and still is a team nobody wants to play in the playoffs.. @KC, @BAL, whatever

11 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Thanks for the refreshing OP. You must’ve been away from TBD for two months in order to summon those words, but it’s a needed balance right now. 

I think with a different head coach and less turnovers for Allen this team could’ve been 9-3, and still is a team nobody wants to play in the playoffs.. @KC, @BAL, whatever

If the Bills make the Play Offs, you'd think no one will want to face them as it means they would have driven the Eagles close and overcame at least two of the Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins, if not all three, in the final weeks - two of them away. But it also feels like this franchise can mess up things like no other, so perhaps they'll be preferred opponents. Just wait for Wide Right, Miracle in Music City, 13 Seconds, 12 Men...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I agree with all the positive points.  Unfortunately,  there is an equal or longer list of negatives.  

I won't take the time to list them all as you can take a look at any thread over the last two months. 

The obvious one is the HC. I'm not overly optimistic that his bone headed game will not cost us 1 or more of the remaining 5 games. 

It was just a weird, weird year honestly right from the get go.  

It is almost impossible to miss the playoffs with a top 5 offense, a D that is 6th in scoring in the NFL and losing all 6 games by 6 points or less.

I mean, I know it is, since the Chargers once missed the playoffs with the #1 O AND #1 D in the same season, but it is really, really hard.

If we played these games over again, the Bills would probably be 9-3 or maybe even 10-2...but the issue is we don't and we only get to play them once and have to live with the results.   

I would bet against the Bills being 6-6 again anytime soon after this year with Allen at QB.

Edited by Big Turk

I said it after 13 seconds and I'll say it now, there are no guarantees from year to year and missed opportunities are killers because the next year the opportunity may not be there. Even with a banged up defense this team should make the playoffs. Two horrendous losses to the Jets and Pats are backbreakers because they cut the Bills' margin of error down to a sliver. Something is awry with the team, that seems apparent.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If the Bills make the Play Offs, you'd think no one will want to face them as it means they would have driven the Eagles close and overcame at least two of the Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins, if not all three, in the final weeks - two of them away. But it also feels like this franchise can mess up things like no other, so perhaps they'll be preferred opponents. Just wait for Wide Right, Miracle in Music City, 13 Seconds, 12 Men...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

Just needed to interject my wondering thinkings

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

Marino missed the playoffs 7 time out of 17 years. 

Favre missed the playoffs multiple times. 

I hope it doesn't happen to Allen and the Bills this year,  or ever. 

But if and when it does, the sky won't be falling.

At least Marino got his reward in the end..

We get a 2nd place schedule so there’s that. Miami gets #1.

@ Texans 

@ Colts

@ LA Rams 

@ AFC North #2 (Browns/Steelers/Bengals)

@ NFC North #2 (Packers/Vikings)

@ Seahawks

@ Pats

@ Jets

@ Fins

H Fins

H Pats

H Jets 

H Jags

H Titans

H Cardinals

H 49ers

H AFC West #2 (Broncos, Raiders, Chargers)

15 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

Marino missed the playoffs 7 time out of 17 years. 

Favre missed the playoffs multiple times. 

I hope it doesn't happen to Allen and the Bills this year,  or ever. 

But if and when it does, the sky won't be falling.

Yes but that was back when half the conference didn’t make the playoffs. 

18 hours ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, I just looked, of the top-11 teams ranked in scoring offense last season, only one managed to miss the playoffs, which was Detroit, which was ranked 29th in Defense, not 5th.  

We'll see, and I'll run the numbers at season's end with our actual final rankings, but there's good reason to believe that we'll be in historically superlatively bad territory in this way.  

2010 Chargers were ranked #1 in BOTH offense and defense and missed the playoffs............we have more recognized stats now than in 2010 but that's probably the statistical gold standard for high league rankings and missing the playoffs.

The worst part is that is a largely forgotten/forgettable team who barely sniffed the SB after years of success.   Which is how this Bills team is trending.

But with the "points" thing.......the 2017 Bills team had the worst point differential of any AFC team to make the playoffs since the late 1980's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

2010 Chargers were ranked #1 in BOTH offense and defense and missed the playoffs............we have more recognized stats now than in 2010 but that's probably the statistical gold standard for high league rankings and missing the playoffs.

The worst part is that is a largely forgotten/forgettable team who barely sniffed the SB after years of success.   Which is how this Bills team is trending.

But with the "points" thing.......the 2017 Bills team had the worst point differential of any AFC team to make the playoffs since the late 1980's.

Interesting stuff, thanks!!  

Nice work too!  

In '17, we also only beat two winning teams that season, and only one team that made it to a divisional round, yet lost, which was Atlanta, which had the 15th ranked offense and the 8th ranked D, so good, not great.  

Also in '17, we were the worst team with a winning record in the league that season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.