Does our defensive staff even study film?

Wiz

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Can’t get called for PI if you’re blitzing 

Think About It GIF by Identity

I'm fine with blitzing, just not the all-out blitz he is so fond of. I mean, I like the aggressive mentality, but sometimes it is just dumb to do that. That all-out blitz against the Broncos was one of the key plays that lost the Bills the game. And now again against the Eagles.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nice breakdown. I wish McDermott did not blitz so many guys all the time. I'm not against blitzing, but it is just so risky blitzing that many. Why not bring just one or two extra?

Because McDermott's whole defensive philosophy seems to break down when he faces a QB who knows what he's doing (or Mac Jones, apparently). Rushing everybody scares bad QBs because they panic.  It just sharpens the good ones. 

McDermott can't see the difference or he's too stubborn to admit he's wrong.  Whatever it is, I'm sick of it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Because McDermott's whole defensive philosophy seems to break down when he faces a QB who knows what he's doing (or Mac Jones, apparently). Rushing everybody scares bad QBs because they panic.  It just sharpens the good ones. 

McDermott can't see the difference or he's too stubborn to admit he's wrong.  Whatever it is, I'm sick of it. 

You just need excellent coverage guys to blitz like that, and the secondary is so banged up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with blitzing, just not the all-out blitz he is so fond of. I mean, I like the aggressive mentality, but sometimes it is just dumb to do that. That all-out blitz against the Broncos was one of the key plays that lost the Bills the game. And now again against the Eagles.

Yeah. His choice of designated rushers is the status quo 3 or 4 guys or all-out zero coverage. 

Great when it works. Awful when it doesn’t. 

He was calling such a good game in the first half. Rushing 3 orc4 dropping everyone else. His one blitz in the first half created the fumble. 

Perhaps he still called a good game. I really don't know. That first TD drive by Philadelphia started with a huge run where both linebackers looked like they were out of position. 

I still believe McD needs to go for multiple reasons. Yes the players need to do better. But this many 4th quarter collapses is inexcusable. 

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The raindrops led to poor visibility on the field

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Yeah. His choice of designated rushers is the status quo 3 or 4 guys or all-out zero coverage. 

Great when it works. Awful when it doesn’t. 

Too risky for me. I guess I am more conservative.

9 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He's lost to

th.thumb.jpg.ae4ced74908bb1e185a801a039fa73e9.jpg

TWICE

Has he beaten any other team twice?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He was calling such a good game in the first half. Rushing 3 orc4 dropping everyone else. His one blitz in the first half created the fumble. 

Perhaps he still called a good game. I really don't know. That first TD drive by Philadelphia started with a huge run where both linebackers looked like they were out of position. 

I still believe McD needs to go for multiple reasons. Yes the players need to do better. But this many 4th quarter collapses is inexcusable. 

Isn't it sad that even during the drought years we still had plenty of times the D sealed games for us but yet anytime it's left up to this D they fail?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think there is a touch of over analysis going on.  Sometimes the opponent has the right call against your call.  You cannot cover every single thing the opponent does on every play.  At least I dont think you can.  Overall, not happy with the defensive performance but they were doing some things...in the 4th quarter they totally left the middle of the field open presnap to let Hurts try to take off, he did and the Bills closed it immediately after the snap.  It is chess and sometimes things work against you.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, MJS said:

You just need excellent coverage guys to blitz like that, and the secondary is so banged up.

When you blitz like that you actually don't need to cover as long so it actually masks lesser corners 

Hence why McDermott is getting more aggressive on an older and banged up secondary... Dropping seven could make them cover for 5 seconds.... Blitzing 6 gets the ball out in two... That's three less seconds to cover

Defensive backs need to trust their technique 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I wish Rasul Douglas reaction on the TD run by Hurts had been slightly faster like maybe an athlete in his 20s in the NFL and not like some mall cop to a SF shop lifter! Watch his pathetic attempt to stop Hurts!

Was he the one standing in the endzone who tried to sort of punch the ball after watching Hurst run to the goal line?  I thought that was Poyer.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Nice breakdown. I wish McDermott did not blitz so many guys all the time. I'm not against blitzing, but it is just so risky blitzing that many. Why not bring just one or two extra?

Eh, the big criticism with Frazier is that he NEVER brought extra pressure. A nice balance would be best, and you have to be good at reading the situation obviously. 

Something I noticed yesterday was we blitzed a linebacker (I can't remember who) from like 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and he looked SO SLOW I knew there was no chance he could possibly impact the play, let alone get to Hurts in time to disrupt him. And of course, I don't even think he had touched the LOS before the pass was thrown. 

The best pressure schemes understand their personnel and how to use them. Don't call a blitz just to call a blitz - make sure the guy you're sending has a realistic chance to do something. Otherwise you're taking him out of coverage for no reason. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When you blitz like that you actually don't need to cover as long so it actually masks lesser corners 

Hence why McDermott is getting more aggressive on an older and banged up secondary... Dropping seven could make them cover for 5 seconds.... Blitzing 6 gets the ball out in two... That's three less seconds to cover

Defensive backs need to trust their technique 

True, to an extent. I just think he blitzes too many at once.

The defense is the same zone every week every down every game. The league figured this guy’s defense out in 2020. Just zero adjustments and every QB that’s willing to take the easy throw will have anything they want on every 3rd down. If we aren’t turning people over, we aren’t stopping them. McDermotts defense is what cost us a Super Bowl and now it’s costing us the playoffs 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Luka said:

Remember Jim Schwartz? He had a hell of defense. Still does to this day. 

Do you remember when his defense also gave up critical touchdowns in terrible spots?

And couldn't get stops when it mattered in big games?

Yeah that happened with him here too

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Douglas, Poyer, Hyde, Benford.   Coach has plenty of talent in the secondary

Poyer and Hyde are not what they used to be. Benford is fine, but he was a 6th round pick for a reason.

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I wish Rasul Douglas reaction on the TD run by Hurts had been slightly faster like maybe an athlete in his 20s in the NFL and not like some mall cop to a SF shop lifter! Watch his pathetic attempt to stop Hurts!

He was in position and had enough time to nail him and keep him out of the end zone.  Wimpy attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

He was in position and had enough time to nail him and keep him out of the end zone.  Wimpy attempt.

imo, there was exactly a 0% chance he was keeping Hurts out of the endzone from that position.

His choices were:

1) Take out Hurts' knees in frustration just after he had already crossed the goalline

2) Get close enough to take a hopeless punch at the ball

Considering what an awful day he was having, I'm glad Rasul didn't resort to #1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.