Giant elephant in room. Beane

<bills4life>

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Von Miller was a good signing until age set in.  Drafts have been ok. Kincaid with a tough game today imo. Not a difference maker today. 

The money and term matter though. We knew his age. He wasn’t some Latin baseball player who lied about how old he was. We all knew it was risk with the guarantees

• Agree 1

Just now, Bagwell358 said:

The money and term matter though. We knew his age. He wasn’t some Latin baseball player who lied about how old he was. We all knew it was risk with the guarantees

True and that’s why it was a good signing until the wheels fell off. Don’t blink. There’s always 2024.

41 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

I like Beane but don't love Beane. I gave him a B on that other thread. He was hired by the alpha male McD. So in some regards his draft selections are strongly influenced by McD.  I would have no problem keeping him for another year as long as McD is gone.  Find better scouts for future offensive picks. McDermott bought all the groceries and they've become stale.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

All of the things you referenced is true , but at the same time, starting new with a different GM and HC is tricky. Sometimes it takes a year to flush out bad contracts and unproductive cap eaters. Also his last draft  was good with Kincaid, a solid starting guard and adding Douglas and Joseph at the deadline. The Pegulas problem attribute the teams success to him so he probably stays.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I like Beane but don't love Beane. I gave him a B on that other thread. He was hired by the alpha male McD. So in some regards his draft selections are strongly influenced by McD.  I would have no problem keeping him for another year as long as McD is gone.  Find better scouts for future offensive picks. McDermott bought all the groceries and they've become stale.

You don't need better scouts. The braintrust needs to make offense the priority.

9 minutes ago, MPT said:

So you're down on Dawkins, Brown, Oliver, Rousseau, and Epenesa? All of whom are having the best, or one of the best, years of their careers right now? 

Well. Let’s see. Brown was the whipping boy the past 2 seasons. Now all the sudden he’s having a career year. Dawkins proved tonight that he sucks. I’m actually shocked he was only called for 2 penalties. Rousseau is fine. And on a rookie contract. Did anyone else notice how he was pulled out at times in favor of the invisible Von. Probably because McDoofus felt he needed to change up the rotation despite Rousseau having possibly his best game of the year or maybe career. Epenesa is also fine. However he is also done as a Bill because they will not have the money to resign him. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That’s the point.  If he thinks he can still play

Which I’m sure he does. Does Von strike you as the kind of person give up? If so, then I guess I’m done with the conversation because I absolutely think he tries to play until he’s 40 

48 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

He’s been bad. Really bad.

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

he hit on Allen, made a nice trade for 14. 

what else?

I see several X marks, and they are in denial.  He hasn't hit on much as GM, missed on more than he has hit on.

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Go and see where cook is in the leading rusher yards for the NFL

Go and watch the last play of the first drive. 

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I see several X marks, and they are in denial.  He hasn't hit on much as GM, missed on more than he has hit on.

It’s the same nerds who call him “big baller beane” and say git er done BBB when we hit free agency or trade deadline.

the fact is all the draft pick misses have caught up to us. This year.

5 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

I'll repeat: Cook is fine.

Goalposts remain.

Yes please do.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Sometimes I join this board after a tough loss as a confirmation that while I may be sad, at least I’m not as stupid as some others….

Beane is a top 5 GM in this league.  Happy to go into all of the details as to why

That sure is a lot of praise for a franchise that has went to exactly one afc championship with the best qb our franchise has ever seen.  This franchise has won nothing since he has been here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Go and watch the last play of the first drive. 

It’s the same nerds who call him “big baller beane” and say git er done BBB when we hit free agency or trade deadline.

the fact is all the draft pick misses have caught up to us. This year.

Yes please do.

So you’re going to base it on the game that was just played and not the season

How dumb ass of you

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, let’s start with Hyde and Poyer.  Move to Bernard.  Kincaid.  Just to start.

His drafting has been terrible.

The 2 huge Ks to Knox and Miller are both proving to be big failures that will cripple this team going forward from a cap perspective.

He's done a lot of good as well; I always liked him and supported him, but his record is far from excellent.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So you’re going to base it on the game that was just played and not the season

How dumb ass of you

Did you watch the NFL. Did we need to invest yet another 2nd rounder in Cook. Or could we have used a WR. 

im watching Keaton Mitchell run while in the secondary right now. 

This isnt an isolated incident. He’s had numerous issues with protecting the ball.

Right now Von Miller is an albatross around Beane's neck.  

Knox was a stupid extension given their draft shortly thereafter.  

Harty is a waste of $10M.  

White's a cap issue but not any fault of Beane's, nonetheless, one that exists.  

Take Allen off of this roster and it's no different than most of our drought era teams.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

His drafting has been terrible.

The 2 huge Ks to Knox and Miller are both proving to be big failures that will cripple this team going forward from a cap perspective.

He's done a lot of good as well; I always liked him and supported him, but his record is far from excellent.

And that was the point of my thread. People need to start being more objective.  Everything said objectively about McDermott the past three years have now come to fruition. I’m just so tired of hearing the nonsense “beane is a wizard”’ “big baller beane” blah blah blah. Beane for as good as he has been has missed a lot on many things too numerous to list.  I’m not advocating for him to be fired, however people need to start being a little bit more objective in their assessment of him. Just like they should have been with McDermott all along. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s pretty clear, there are a lot of teams with FAR better talent than the Bills have and still have better cap situations.  A couple of them even have QBs in the same conversation as Allen, so what’s the excuse?   He’s made a lot of ***** FA signings and his continued lack of difference makers in the draft have lead to spending large on FA guys who are taking up a lot of cap and not producing much.   

here’s the thing, you can’t take Josh Allen away from him, but if you did evaluate this team vs any other team with a QB who’s has been paid, where would you rank the talent level?  Id argue, it’s not near the top of those teams.  So is he doing a great job?  My answer is no.  You are your decision.

1 hour ago, Bagwell358 said:

He’s been bad. Really bad.

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

he hit on Allen, made a nice trade for 14. 

what else?

Dude this type of post and the ones blaming Allen aren’t accurate. I get it, that’s how you feel. But if you go into the Beane evaluation thread there’s multiple posts pointing out his history. 

It isn’t terrible or as bad as you would like to believe. He’s produced 2 or 3 key players out of every draft. That’s decent going if you ask me. Those same players aren’t just a role player either. The “failures” you believe aren’t actually failures as if you go by the draft history they are mostly in the later part of the draft. Some guys just don’t mesh with a system or team they are on and move elsewhere and become successful. Again, key contributors more than failures. You cannot hit on every player, the real test is whether you move on from them instead of wasting a roster spot and that more often comes down to coaching and scouting input more than Beane. So you’ve got what? Zack Moss, Wyatt Teller and who else that become regrettable decisions you moved on from? 
Teller is the only one. Moss did nada here. 

He has a handful of failings, that’s always expected in a crap shoot.

Harty, Sherfield and the contract to Miller is rough though. That’s a massive amount of dollar and definitely part of the aging sentiment. Knox we can hold off on, for now. 

It’s a blended input from more than Beane… McD and his coaching staff, scouts, trainers, other front office staff around the league…

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Take Allen off of this roster and it's no different than most of our drought era teams.  

Harty is an easy cut next year. The Knox contract isnt so bad when you look at the entire league. White is a definite cut and money coming back.

Take the franchise QB off any team and their roster looks like a drought era team. 🤷‍♂️

My point here isnt just to refute. I'm sayin, the situation is not that bad, and most of the real issues are fixable.

I wont argue on that Von contract tho. That's a real doozy.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Harty is an easy cut next year. The Knox contract isnt so bad when you look at the entire league. 

It's not a question of an easy cut, Harty never should have been given that contract.  Lots of other things we could have done with $5M/season.  

Knox contract sucks since we didn't use him anywhere even approaching that contract value when he was healthy.  

How do people watch that game and feel we lack talent?

andy Reid coaches this team and we absolutely slaughter the eagles tonight

im more encouraged to know this roster is that solid

we have an amazing talent pool 

McDermott is a loser and why you lost that game tonight and it was in full display why he can’t get it done yet again

id almost fire him and hire bill b from New England 

1 hour ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

He is not the problem. It’s the refs 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

It's not a question of an easy cut, Harty never should have been given that contract.  Lots of other things we could have done with $5M/season.  

Knox contract sucks since we didn't use him anywhere even approaching that contract value when he was healthy.  

What WR did you want to give $5M this season that is playing better?

The Knox point is on coaching, which I will not argue. But Beane is giving the coaches talent. It's on them to use it properly.

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Take the QB off a lot of teams and they aren’t playoff teams. The QB matters 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.