Giant elephant in room. Beane

<bills4life>

Beane built a team to peak last season.  It didn't work. This season was a wing and a prayer with an aging secondary and hoping ACLs tears fully recovered for a CB and your main Pass Rusher.  Competent coaching might have made due with the the wing and prayer.  But the Bills head coach is stale and figured out.  Every team in the NFL has a 2 minute script to beat the Bills and it works every single time this year.   

But other than the GMs for the chiefs and the eagles. Its not clear that there are any dramactically better GMs in the league. 

17 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

He’s been bad. Really bad.

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

he hit on Allen, made a nice trade for 14. 

what else?

Exactly what second round picks has a missed

People used to say it was Terrell Bernard but he’s turning out to be a stud

3 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Epenesa was brutal for 3 seasons. 0 contributions. He’s a miss. Sorry. 

boogie basham is a miss, ford colossal miss.

Elam is a disaster.

james cook in round 2? all the other assets invested in RB in rounds 3?

he’s neglecting significant areas of roster for the same

mistakes.

Or resign Floyd. DE and DT are a need going forward.

And Epenesa is playing well now.  So not a lose.  Anyway you asked for one other than Josh and Oliver more than fills the bill there.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Beane is terrible when it comes to spending money. 

I'm not so worried about it. The Cap is a myth, and there are plenty of tricks and levers to pull. We'll be cutting a bunch of old contracts this offseason; White, Poyer, Morse, Harty, gives us over $24M alone. None of those will be too difficult to replace.

He made moves to push us for a SB run last year and this year. Injuries and coaching took that away. He is to blame for no speed on offense but ultimately a lot of the complaints are really just that we got hurt and didn’t win. He knew what he was doing he just missed.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not so worried about it. The Cap is a myth, and there are plenty of tricks and levers to pull. We'll be cutting a bunch of old contracts this offseason; White, Poyer, Morse, Harty, gives us over $24M alone. None of those will be too difficult to replace.

It’s more so about how much money he’s invested in mediocre players. 

10 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Epenesa was brutal for 3 seasons. 0 contributions. He’s a miss. Sorry. 

boogie basham is a miss, ford colossal miss.

Elam is a disaster.

james cook in round 2? all the other assets invested in RB in rounds 3?

he’s neglecting significant areas of roster for the same

mistakes.

Or resign Floyd. DE and DT are a need going forward.

Which is why it’s going to be even more painfully hilarious when you see an extremely heavy defensive draft next year if McStupid is still here. 

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Hes a fine GM.   He made a huge mistake signing Vonn Miller, a direct result of failing to sign JJ Watt and Chandler Jones in back to back years.   He made a huge mistake not signing Hopkins this offseason, which may have been a direct result of the mistake in signing Miller.

Outside of Miller the bigger contracts have void years.   The cap situation isnt as bad as people think, they can clear space.  It happens when you sign a QB for a quarter of a billion dollars.  

He's struggled somewhat getting the D-line sorted by which I mean getting a great D-line, Von Miller was good before the injury but yeah it happened doesn't seem like that one is working out either. Biggest tough spot has been the run stuffing DT he got Daquan Jones but after him there was nobody else who was good just a bunch of contracts taking up space, Linvel Joseph seems like a great fix there though at the moment. But besides that Floyd, Groot, Ed, and Epenesa have been a great group on the D-line.

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And thus without tearing his ACL gives us a couple years to win with him.  If he continues to struggle shut him down and offer an injury settlement.

Yeah. I’m sure hell accept it. Seems like something someone would do. Turn down guaranteed millions when they think they can still play. 

16 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Yes but a six year contract for a thirty five year old player who relies on speed and flexibility was pretty dumb.  Contract should been three years tops

It was designed to be able to end after 3 years. So you got your wish! In 2025 we can cut him for $15 million in dead cap and then he's off the books after that. Does that change your opinion on the contract?

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

It’s more so about how much money he’s invested in mediocre players. 

The Bills have a lot of talent. It's even more obvious when watching other teams. But that talent hasnt been developed or used properly, and usually put in bad positions to fail, all by our play-not-to-lose Head Clapper.

And Free Agents are always expensive overpays. It's a risk you have to take when rounding out the roster. And I give Beane credit for setting us up to go into each draft without a ton of holes, and with plenty of flexibility.

Guys like Floyd, D Jones, Morse, McGovern, etc have all been worth their contracts.

The GM aint the problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bagwell358 said:

Haha. I know. People will rage. 

but after WR in round 1 I can almost justify it. 

Need a WR. Need a RT. Need a LT. Gonna need a C soon. Need 2 Safeties, 2 DTs, 2 DEs, and that’s being conservative. Which we all know mcdummy needs his 18 player rotation on the DL to be effective which is never actually effective. 

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Von Miller was a huge swing and miss though.

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Because he tore his ACL.  Was playing great last year before that.

I think you have to judge a GM by the quality of the process at least as much as their results. Beane has certainly built a team capable of winning it all. He has no sway over the coaches or game day decisions. But it’s really a moot point. (Or a moo point if you’re a Friends fan.) Find your head coach and let them decide what they want to do at GM.

I love that Beane did the following:

1. Made necessary moves to draft Josh Allen

2. Traded for Diggs

Outside of that, he's a good GM for building a "depth" roster, with some key talent. 

He hasn't hit on any other "all pro" picks (outside Josh/Diggs trade) but he's bought in some good players.

I like his philosophy of building a very good DL, problem is he has missed more often than hit on picks/FA $$$s. He's spent A LOT here and just hasn't produced the ROI you'd expect.

He's neglected drafting a WR2 multiple years.  Whiffed on Basham/Elam, two premium picks.  Hit some solid depth/starter caliber guys in 5th round+.

To me, he's a borderline top 10-15 NFL GM. I think he's going to show his worth this offseason, with some difficult cap/roster decisions.  I'd rather have him, but the 1st/2nd round misses are starting to already hurt a cap conscious team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Bills have a lot of talent. It's even more obvious when watching other teams. But that talent hasnt been developed or used properly, and usually put in bad positions to fail, all by our play-not-to-lose Head Clapper.

And Free Agents are always expensive overpays. It's a risk you have to take when rounding out the roster. And I give Beane credit for setting us up to go into each draft without a ton of holes, and with plenty of flexibility.

Guys like Floyd, D Jones, Morse, McGovern, etc have all been worth their contracts.

The GM aint the problem.

A lot of talent is a bit questionable. I think Beane is just as much of a problem as McD.

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Need a WR. Need a RT. Need a LT. Gonna need a C soon. Need 2 Safeties, 2 DTs, 2 DEs, and that’s being conservative. Which we all know mcdummy needs his 18 player rotation on the DL to be effective which is never actually effective. 

the rotation is too much for me. Pay the top guys the most and play them the most. This communist approach to d line is ridiculous. Other teams don’t invest this much in 8 guys on game days. It’s also not working. Never get stops when we need. Shouldn’t these fresh guys be dominating at end of game. It’s a myth. Kingsley Jonathon is just fine as a reserve DE for 10-15 snaps a game. Play your best players as often as you can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's struggled somewhat getting the D-line sorted by which I mean getting a great D-line, Von Miller was good before the injury but yeah it happened doesn't seem like that one is working out either. Biggest tough spot has been the run stuffing DT he got Daquan Jones but after him there was nobody else who was good just a bunch of contracts taking up space, Linvel Joseph seems like a great fix there though at the moment. But besides that Floyd, Groot, Ed, and Epenesa have been a great group on the D-line.

The Miller signing was such a departure from how he usually did business in Free Agency and I think he let previous year misses get to him too much.  Should have just stuck to his process, regardless of how well Von looked in the first half of last year.  The contract is awful.  

As far as hits and misses along the dline and even on the oline I think its par for the course for GMs just magnified because they are losing right now.  In the most important position he hit it out of the park.

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

So you're down on Dawkins, Brown, Oliver, Rousseau, and Epenesa? All of whom are having the best, or one of the best, years of their careers right now? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.