Who should coach this team in 2024?

Kirby Jackson

It's obvious we need a coach who can make the right calls during the game, that can make this team a winner.  No more McMedicore please.  Trying to ice the kicker on a 59 yard FG, when we have 20 seconds and Josh Allen, is a typical idiotic McMediocre play. 

For the first time in history, The Bills are the only team to lose a game when they gained over 500 yards, won turnover battle, and had more than 10 first downs.  Teams were 39-0.  Now they are 39-1.  Great job McMediocre.  Now get lost.

Who are some good coaching candidates for 2024 Bills?

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's obvious we need a coach who can make the right calls during the game, that can make this team a winner.  No more McMedicore please.  Trying to ice the kicker on a 59 yard FG, when we have 20 seconds and Josh Allen, is a typical idiotic McMediocre play. 

For the first time in history, The Bills are the only team to lose a game when they gained over 500 yards, won turnover battle, and had more than 10 first downs.  Teams were 39-0.  Now they are 39-1.  Great job McMediocre.  Now get lost.

I slept on it.  Still feel the same. Absolutely disgusted with McJauron's turtling in the brightest moments. We are always the punchline in other teams jokes and needs to change.

McDermott is not getting fired. It’s wasted energy. This is his first bad season during his tenure. They found something with Brady. McDermott will be Coach and Joe Brady will be the OC. They waited too long to fire Dorsey. They should’ve canned him before the season started. His inept offense cost the Bills at least 3 games. With Brady running the show the Bills are 9-3. At worst 8-4 right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

25 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

McDermott is not getting fired. It’s wasted energy. This is his first bad season during his tenure. They found something with Brady. McDermott will be Coach and Joe Brady will be the OC. They waited too long to fire Dorsey. They should’ve canned him before the season started. His inept offense cost the Bills at least 3 games. With Brady running the show the Bills are 9-3. At worst 8-4 right now. 

I think you are probably right. It's only been 2 games, but Brady has done a great job as OC and against 2 very good defenses in the Jets and Eagles. He also has Allen playing at an elite level. But if Terry does make a change and Bill becomes available then give me the six-time Super Bowl championship winning coach who also went to nine Super Bowls with an elite level QB. He is also a much better DC than McDermott whose defenses can come up with key stops in big moments. The INT at the goal line in the Super Bowl vs the Seahawks. Beating the Rams in the Super Bowl 13-3. Or how about in game adjustments something McDermott doesn't know anything about. Trailing the Falcons 28-3 in the Super Bowl. Bill makes adjustments and they shut them out the rest of the way for a 34-28 OT. 

As an added bonus Bill will want to stick it to Kraft next year so he will want to curb stomp the Pats twice. He already hates the Jets and has made them his personal "B". What is it 16 straight wins against them or something like that. 

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Obviously. Now who's the obvious super bowl winning replacement? The next Robert Salah or Brian Daboll if you will?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Your argument falls apart when you realize that we lost 3 games this year to teams that we are CLEARLY more talented than. CLEARLY - Jets, Pats, and Broncos. Jags I would say maybe equal talent? But I also think Josh is at least two full tiers higher than Lawrence as a QB so to me that gives us a slight edge over them. For argument's sake we'll call it a wash. Bengals are (were, before Burrow's injury) slightly more talented, and Eagles are moderately more talented.

So putting the discussion about point differential aside, we have a team that is only 6-3 against teams they are clearly MORE talented than. We are then 0-3 against teams that have equal or greater talent than us.

How again is this an argument in favor of McDermott? I think you've lost the plot a bit here by pulling in teams like the Ravens and 49ers who we haven't even played. Our record compared to our actual schedule is clearly well below par. And yeah that is obviously a coaching issue.

I mean how many teams ahead of us in the AFC standings are clearly more talented than us? Maybe just the Ravens and not even by a landslide?

The truth is we are lagging far behind most of the conference in coaching, not in talent.

Barring Allen, I think the Broncos have a little bit more talent on defense.

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

You may be 100% correct about that. You could also be way wrong. We will find out after the season. But, you and I don't know what's in Pegula:s head right now. 

See, here's the issue. You say it's his first bad season. I say it's not. The season is only as good as how you finish. The last "good" season the Bills had was the year they overachieved a bit and ended up in the AFCCG. Since then we had the 13 seconds debacle. We had the meltdown at home against the Bengals. In between we have had quite a few games like last night and the game against Minnesota.

Sure, his regular season record is great. But this isn't a team that can be content with winning the regular season. The Bills beat up on a lot of bad teams during his tenure here. The games McDermott wins the Bills blow people out. When we lose its normally a close game. Games like that are often won and lost by.... Coaching Decisions. 

You say "they" waited too long to fire Dorsey. "THEY" IS MCDERMOTT!!!  Same guy that HIRED that inept tool. Same guy that brought him back. McDermott has preached "run it back" with coaches and players for so long that fans are blind to it. Where does that have us? With an aging and expensive roster that was never quite good enough to overcome the constant coaching blunders. We are in what, year 7? And he still doesn't know when to challenge a play or how to use time outs. 

Real change is needed in the organization. Both with players AND the coaching staff. Let's not waste yet another year on a coach that is a great person, just not a great HC.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

You may be 100% correct about that. You could also be way wrong. We will find out after the season. But, you and I don't know what's in Pegula:s head right now. 

See, here's the issue. You say it's his first bad season. I say it's not. The season is only as good as how you finish. The last "good" season the Bills had was the year they overachieved a bit and ended up in the AFCCG. Since then we had the 13 seconds debacle. We had the meltdown at home against the Bengals. In between we have had quite a few games like last night and the game against Minnesota.

Sure, his regular season record is great. But this isn't a team that can be content with winning the regular season. The Bills beat up on a lot of bad teams during his tenure here. The games McDermott wins the Bills blow people out. When we lose its normally a close game. Games like that are often won and lost by.... Coaching Decisions. 

You say "they" waited too long to fire Dorsey. "THEY" IS MCDERMOTT!!!  Same guy that HIRED that inept tool. Same guy that brought him back. McDermott has preached "run it back" with coaches and players for so long that fans are blind to it. Where does that have us? With an aging and expensive roster that was never quite good enough to overcome the constant coaching blunders. We are in what, year 7? And he still doesn't know when to challenge a play or how to use time outs. 

Real change is needed in the organization. Both with players AND the coaching staff. Let's not waste yet another year on a coach that is a great person, just not a great HC.

This team has been declining since 13 seconds and getting further and further away from a Super Bowl. I mentioned this in another thread, but I would love to hear from Terry Pegula. We will have to wait until after the season most likely.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I'd be careful with saying they've found something with Brady. I hope you're right but remember Dorsey's first two games in charge? They put up 31 over the reigning Super Bowl champions and 41 against the Titans. It's early days and will be interesting to see what happens when DCs have had a chance to study the tape. Fingers crossed Brady can adjust better than his predecessor.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Ben Johnson is the outstanding candidate partly because I don't actually believe he is this super creative offensive whizz kid the reputation paints him as. I think he has success not because he does anything super innovative (certainly not in the pass game at least) but because he absolutely knows what his players can do and what they can't and he leans into that and designs an offense accordingly. That translates much better to successful Head Coach than an Xs and Os genius. Gives me much more confidence that he can lead effectively because he understands who his players are. 

The rest of the market is thoroughly uninspiring to me. But you don't decide whether to keep your coach based on who is or isn't available. You evaluate whether your coach should be fired first and then you move onto the 2nd question if you decide to can him. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This team is in serious need of a quality DC. McD and his vanilla zone defenses let us down every time in crunch time. He is not the answer and we all blamed our lapses defensively on Frazier. He may have been a strong contributor but this year has shown that McD is the primary reason himself.

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This team has been declining since 13 seconds and getting further and further away from a Super Bowl. I mentioned this in another thread, but I would love to hear from Terry Pegula. We will have to wait until after the season most likely.

Declining in some aspects I agree. However the real fall out from that game to me was McDermott and Beane believing they were closer than they actually were and playing the "run it back" game instead of actively making changes to improve. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

This is a pretty good roster, last 2 years were SB favorites, bets player in NFL as his QB, this should not be happening. It's not going to get any better, and going forward when Diggs goes off at seasons end also! 

Edited by LarryMadman

I hate to say it but Belichick gets this team over the hump. Basically, sell your soul for a Super Bowl. I'm good with that. 

Dream scenario, do everything you can to trade for Sean McVay...ownership shares, ton of money, or whatever. He would be the perfect match for Allen. 

In terms of current offensive assistants, Ben Johnson is very intriguing for the reasons Gunner mentioned above. 

The Bengals Brian Callahan is interesting to me as a candidate. He has worked under a number of different guys including Kubiak, Zac Taylor, John Fox, Gruden and he's worked with QBs like Stafford and Peyton Manning, and obviously Burrow. I would think he would bring his dad with him, the best OL coach in the business. An offensive-minded guy who has learned from a number of different systems and has been around the game his entire life. 

But McDermott is Mike Zimmer with less situational awareness. He has to go imo. 

If the biggest problem is a defense that routinely lets us down at the end of games, it would seem Belicheck might be a great fit. However, we absolutely must keep Beane if we bring in Belicheck. Bill's track record as a GM leaves a lot to be desired. 

But the biggest negative with Belicheck is he is basically a 2–3-year rental. I can't see him coaching beyond three more years. 

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I think you are probably right. It's only been 2 games, but Brady has done a great job as OC and against 2 very good defenses in the Jets and Eagles. He also has Allen playing at an elite level. But if Terry does make a change and Bill becomes available then give me the six-time Super Bowl championship winning coach who also went to nine Super Bowls with an elite level QB. He is also a much better DC than McDermott whose defenses can come up with key stops in big moments. The INT at the goal line in the Super Bowl vs the Seahawks. Beating the Rams in the Super Bowl 13-3. Or how about in game adjustments something McDermott doesn't know anything about. Trailing the Falcons 28-3 in the Super Bowl. Bill makes adjustments and they shut them out the rest of the way for a 34-28 OT. 

As an added bonus Bill will want to stick it to Kraft next year so he will want to curb stomp the Pats twice. He already hates the Jets and has made them his personal "B". What is it 16 straight wins against them or something like that. 

I'm fairly certain mcdermotts in-game adjustment didn't involve... losing gap integrity constantly, and missing tackles.  

Players play, and their failed execution can't always go back to the coach - just like their success shouldn't always go to the coach.  

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Obviously. Now who's the obvious super bowl winning replacement? The next Robert Salah or Brian Daboll if you will?

To soon to know.

But look around the league.  The eagles pulled sirianni out of nowhere essentially.  The colts this year have a young head coach with little experience and here they are at 6-5.  The dolphins are the same.  

Someone needs to be brought in here who will bring excellent coordinators and can handle the nuances of the game late and in the immediate future they are going to have to be able to handle the Diggs situation which will probably be bad at the end of the year.  

The era of retreads is kind of over because that era of coaches are all too old or not around anymore.  Its all fresh faces essentially.  

i have zero doubt a new defensive coordinator and roster changes will improve the defense and I have zero doubt the special teams will improve also with coaching and roster changes.  Sean McDermott seems to be an excellent secondary coach but he just cant get it right late in games and that is the damn job.

I would imagine the next head coach is from an offensive background, someone who can bring something here to really make this offense take off while a veteran defensive staff runs that side of the ball.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4th&long said:

Right now I would take Joe Brady if he brought in a good DC. 

I thought the same yesterday and was shocked at myself. Imagine if the QB coach got OC in the middle of the season and then HC! It would like conniving, backstabbing stuff. 

As with player signings, drafts, tardes, whatever, it depends on WHO is out there and available. Most fans act like if their team is the only one, and great candidates are just waiting on some magcial Santa shelf, to be picked up by our  GM. There are 32 competing teams, and not that many great HC to go around. 

McD has been the opposite of clutch in crunch time, but even if I too hitch for his firing, it depends on who replaces him! As HC, and as DC. 

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If the biggest problem is a defense that routinely lets us down at the end of games, it would seem Belicheck might be a great fit. However, we absolutely must keep Beane if we bring in Belicheck. Bill's track record as a GM leaves a lot to be desired. 

But the biggest negative with Belicheck is he is basically a 2–3-year rental. I can't see him coaching beyond three more years. 

That is fine if it's just for 2 or 3 years. The Bills have a lot of older players on the roster. This team maybe has 2 years at most to win a Super Bowl with the current core group around Allen although I do think some changes need to be made to the roster. Bill is what 70, 71? He is not interested in a long rebuild. Bill wants to win now, and the Bills have to win soon with this current core group. Perfect match.

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

To soon to know.

But look around the league.  The eagles pulled sirianni out of nowhere essentially.  The colts this year have a young head coach with little experience and here they are at 6-5.  The dolphins are the same.  

Someone needs to be brought in here who will bring excellent coordinators and can handle the nuances of the game late and in the immediate future they are going to have to be able to handle the Diggs situation which will probably be bad at the end of the year.  

The era of retreads is kind of over because that era of coaches are all too old or not around anymore.  Its all fresh faces essentially.  

i have zero doubt a new defensive coordinator and roster changes will improve the defense and I have zero doubt the special teams will improve also with coaching and roster changes.  Sean McDermott seems to be an excellent secondary coach but he just cant get it right late in games and that is the damn job.

I would imagine the next head coach is from an offensive background, someone who can bring something here to really make this offense take off while a veteran defensive staff runs that side of the ball.  

Yes. There's someone out there who will make an amazing head coach. The trick is knowing who.

(But I am 100% sure it's not Bill Belichick.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Before anyone says Bobby Slowik do you really trust your team to a guy who was coaching defense five years ago?   

Not sure that matters all too much these days.

Siriani was a quality control coach 7 years before he became the Eagles HC. He was OC in title only with the Colts as Reich called plays for them. 

Mike McDaniel never called plays and was an OC in title only for 1 year in SF before becoming a HC. 

Kevin O’Connell didn’t have a ton of coaching experience before getting the Vikings job.

Look at Mike Tomlin’s experience before being hired with the Steelers.

You just never know I guess.

Edited by Bangarang

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes. There's someone out there who will make an amazing head coach. The trick is knowing who.

Yep that is always the trick.

Look at the dolphins head coach and your first impression would be he is one of the offensive quality control guys...instead he is running a very good team having a good season.  On the flip side look at washington.  They have the prototypical head coach and he is about to be fired.  

the trend and for good reason since the rules are what they are is to have a good offensive young mind to pair with a high end qb and a veteran staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

Personally and I know it is not possible but Sean McVay as the head coach with this offense and a veteran defensive staff would be pretty great.  Again, I know that is not an option.  

I will say I am 100% against any coaches from the Andy Reid tree or the Bill Belichick tree.  

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

(But I am 100% sure it's not Bill Belichick.)

9 Super Bowl appearances with 6 Super Bowl championships with an elite level QB and a solid roster around that QB. I am 100% positive that it is Bill Belichick. He is the only proven winner as a HC that the Bills can get. You want to hire an OC from another team who would be a first time HC. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. With Bill you know what you would be getting. Bill with Josh and this roster would give us a good chance to get to the Super Bowl. McDermott isn't getting us there. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I could have him as a HC, I’d take Harbuagh in a heartbeat over anyone else. However, will he actually leave Michigan? My worry is we put all our eggs in that basket, and he ends up staying in Michigan, and we miss out on not only him but the other coaches who were hired in the meantime. 

let’s not forget, I think the chargers will probably be a more attractive job. Allen is better than Herbert, but the rest of the team is way more talented in my opinion and not in salary cap h$ll. Also, LA is probably a more a desirable spot for people who aren’t familiar with WNY. I imagine the chargers will also be looking for an offensive minded HC. 

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

If I could have him as a HC, I’d take Harbuagh in a heartbeat over anyone else. However, will he actually leave Michigan? My worry is we put all our eggs in that basket, and he ends up staying in Michigan, and we miss out on not only him but the other coaches who were hired in the meantime. 

let’s not forget, I think the chargers will probably be a more attractive job. Allen is better than Herbert, but the rest of the team is way more talented in my opinion and not in salary cap h$ll. Also, LA is probably a more a desirable spot for people who aren’t familiar with WNY. I imagine the chargers will also be looking for an offensive minded HC. 

I think if Harbaugh leaves Michigan, then I could see the Bears as a landing spot for him.

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

9 Super Bowl appearances with 6 Super Bowl championships with an elite level QB and a solid roster around that QB. I am 100% positive that it is Bill Belichick. He is the only proven winner as a HC that the Bills can get. You want to hire an OC from another team who would be a first time HC. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. With Bill you know what you would be getting. Bill with Josh and this roster would give us a good chance to get to the Super Bowl. McDermott isn't getting us there. 

Then explain to me why the Patriots became hot garbage after Brady left and Belichick was put in charge of everything?

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Then explain to me why the Patriots became hot garbage after Brady left and Belichick was put in charge of everything?

Bill is a terrible GM. If he leaves the Pats and the Bills show interest, then Pegula needs to tell him that Beane will put the roster together and Bill will coach it. Let's be honest GOD couldn't win with Mac Jones as is QB. He is Zach Wilson level bad. But if Bill came to the Bills, he would have Josh Allen to work with. The record speaks for itself. Bill with an elite level QB knows how to win and win big.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really respect McD for all he has done for this franchise. I also believe he is genuinely good human being who has tried his best.

That being said, at this point, I just really want a coach that is good at end of game situations.

- Someone who knows not to call timeout on defense and that doing so gives the other team time to get their players and play-call in order, just as much as it does for you.

- Someone who knows not to call timeout before a rushed game-winning or game-tying kick and give the field goal kicker time to catch his breath.

- Someone who knows to squib the ball with 13 seconds left and not to play 10 yards off of receivers with the game on the line.

- Someone who knows not to send an all-out blitz, multiple times, against a veteran QB, with the game on the line.

- Someone who knows that you kick-off in OT against terrible offenses (stop them once and a FG wins the game) and you receive against any offense better than terrible.

Just a lot of strategy stuff that I believe has lost us games.

Edited by Einstein

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Bill is a terrible GM. If he leaves the Pats and the Bills show interest, then Pegula needs to tell him that Beane will put the roster together and Bill will coach it. Let's be honest GOD couldn't win with Mac Jones as is QB. He is Zach Wilson level bad. But if Bill came to the Bills, he would have Josh Allen to work with. The record speaks for itself. Bill with an elite level QB knows how to win and win big.

I don’t know. His choice in offensive coordinators alone recently has disqualified him in my book. Do we really want josh mcdaniels coaching Josh?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.