Joe Brady - What Do We Expect?

Jukester

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Look at where Brady went to college and where he got his coaching start: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BradJo0.htm.

I get that, but McDermott was with Carolina by the time Brady was with William and Mary.  Who knows, but to me it doesn't feel like the connections are that strong prior to Brady coming to Buffalo in 2022.

Is this the same Joe Brady, Bills Quarterback Coach?

Is this the same Joe Brady that you never saw sitting with Allen on the bench? 

Is this the same Joe Brady that let Allen sit and stare into space instead of grabbing a tablet?

Is this the same Joe Brady that never got on His Quarterback for ignoring Dorsey's called plays and going rogue?

If Allen did not respect Joe Brady's position on the sidelines,  does anyone think he will when they move him up to the press box?

Is this the same Joe Brady that came from CAROLINA?

Does McDermott realize there are other Teams to draw from other than CAROLINA?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My expectations are high. This offense has tremendous potential, and they have been mismanaged.

Will Brady tap into that potential?  There is certainly a better shot than if Dorsey had remained.

Can you imagine if we start lighting it up again in the next month+?  It would be nice to be able to say, ah, that was it. That's all we needed to do.

Maybe not likely, but one can dream.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure how in line it is to what Brady goes for these days...but here's some information, I guess.

Looks like maybe he might have a new perspective on things and maybe might be able to install a few new plays a week to breathe some life into the offense.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The man had Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold as his QBs...all he should have been doing is running 😂

teddy had a good year. robbie whatshisface had a huge year, dj moore as well,someone else too iirc. all this with awful OL, and no CMC

was not without flaws the following year, but im atleast interested in outcome here

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Fournette called up and the Bills to pound the rock. 

McDermott will have an even bigger say in the offense. 

In truth i'd be fine with a run heavy offense featuring Fournette.  Allen is a space cadet right now, and Diggs is the only reliable WR.  Kincaid, sure whatever, nobody is game planning around him, at least yet.  When does Knox come back? Surely McD will insist he get reinserted at the expense of snaps for Kincaid so even that's not going anywhere

The primary advantage of going run heavy the rest of this year since we're going to lose a bunch of games is that we see if the OL as currently constituted can support a run game.  they looked oK in that regard last night.  We know what Josh is capable of when his head is on right.  Plus, a run heavy game at least gives the cursed souls on the defense a little break between back breaking 7-10 minute drives

I'll tell you what I'm hoping for: glimmers that Josh and key offensive players still have greatness within them, but I'll be more than happy with a losing record this year to ensure a coaching reset next year.

Fixing the OC position is not enough and a band-aid fix.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Big question mark on why the change came now before this stretch. 

Indictment of McChump

What did we see yesterday that was so much different than the other games? If anything he called a better game last night. Now heading into when it matters most, against our hardest stretch he put so much of task ahead of us that it is damn near impossible to recover.

This is poor management. The writing didn't just appear to fire him - it should have been done weeks ago if it was potential. 

hopefully brady has been prepped and given a few weeks heads up that this might be coming

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Really good discussion about the Bills on the Pat McAfee show.

Dan Orlovsky giving good analysis.

is this still on youtube or would i need a TV to see?

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

hopefully brady has been prepped and given a few weeks heads up that this might be coming

is this still on youtube or would i need a TV to see?

would you respect a coach that prepared a replacement while having the original position filled?

55 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

I agree!!

The biggest thing a coordinator does week to week during the season, except for the bye, is decide which concepts are going into the game plan and where they fit on the play-sheet, mostly situationally.  So, the offense is not changing.  The plays and formations they have repped are the plays and formations they have.  That said, the plays they choose will be different, which might make all of the difference.  There is always discussion between the OC and the position coaches regarding the game plan and what is in and what is out.  Presumably, McD is in at least some of those meetings.  Push back is healthy in those meetings.  My guess is there was push back, but McD (rightly) let his OC have the final say.  He has now changed the decision maker, we'll see if it gets better.

itll be his job to fix execution. can run the same play and not have WR's finish route in bunched up area. there are certainly plays weve installed and dont use (screens for the love of FFFFFFFFF). theres a lot to improve, not sure hell have enough time to fix this, but lets hope????

• Like (+1) 1

His Carolina offenses with awful talent scored more ppg than we have over the last 6 games. That’s gotta count for something, right?

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Wasn’t mccaffery still there as well with a decent back up?

CMC only played in 10 games total in 2 seasons while Joe Brady was there.

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Looks like maybe he might have a new perspective on things and maybe might be able to install a few new plays a week to breathe some life into the offense.

But will McD let him.....that is the big question mark.

There was a place where I grew up called Job Ready. One day, we were driving past it and my grandmother said, "Joe Brady? Who's Joe Brady?" We laughed at her and said, "Oma, that sign says Job Ready, you wackadoo." 

So, I don't know. Joe Brady = Job Ready = Ready For Job? 

No. Probably not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

He got fired for not running it enough.  is known for a spread offense. but utilizes a lot of screens.

A lot of screens? Well, at least we have always excelled at those over the years...😔😔😔

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Big question mark on why the change came now before this stretch. 

Indictment of McChump

What did we see yesterday that was so much different than the other games? If anything he called a better game last night. Now heading into when it matters most, against our hardest stretch he put so much of task ahead of us that it is damn near impossible to recover.

This is poor management. The writing didn't just appear to fire him - it should have been done weeks ago if it was potential. 

The players stopped playing for him. That's the difference. By and large I don't think his play calling has been terrible. He hasn't gotten his players to execute his plan - that's the issue.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jukester said:

Any insight on his philosophy, coahing style, etc... welcome.  Or he is just going to be a McD puppet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Brady_(American_football_coach)

Coaching career

New Orleans Saints

In 2017, Brady was hired by the New Orleans Saints as an offensive assistant under head coach Sean Payton.

LSU

In 2019, Brady joined head coach Ed Orgeron and the LSU Tigers as their passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.[1][2] Recognized as the top assistant coach during the 2019 college football season, Brady was honored with the 24th annual Broyles Award.[5] Subsequently, he emerged as a leading candidate for numerous offensive coordinator vacancies in the NFL,[6][7] but eventually agreed to a three-year contract extension with LSU.[8]

Carolina Panthers

On January 16, 2020, Brady was hired by the Carolina Panthers as their offensive coordinator under head coach Matt Rhule.[9] The Panthers were selected to coach in the 2021 Senior Bowl, but Brady missed the game due to COVID-19 protocols.[10] On December 5, 2021, Brady was fired by the Panthers.[11]

Buffalo Bills

On February 4, 2022, Brady was hired by the Buffalo Bills as their quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Dorsey after his promotion to offensive coordinator. After Dorsey's mid-season firing in the 2023 season, Brady was promoted to interim offensive coordinator.[12]

Nothing will be different from a scheme standpoint. He's going to run Dorsey's (Daboll's) offense the remainder of the season. Like I said in the other thread - hopefully the players respond to a different voice in the room.

Honestly, it is only right to tamper any expectations because of the situation he is being thrown into.  It's not like the overall offensive scheme is going to change here in the middle of the season.  The plays are the plays for the most part.  Sure, he will have the opportunity to put in some new plays and concepts as the weeks go by, but the offense is the offense for the most part.

That said, how the offense is called is what can be different.  Situational calls can be different.  Maybe instead of going shotgun on 4th and inches, he does the smart thing and just uses the tush push which is virtually unstoppable.  Maybe when the team is rolling down the field with tempo and scoring, he continues to use tempo instead of slowing everything down to a snail's pace.  Maybe he utilizes the QB runs we all know are in the playbook because we saw them for years under Daboll.  Maybe he know what a slant pass is.  Maybe he has enough common sense to see that the best this offense has looked all year is when Allen is under center and utilizing play action.  Maybe he knows that he needs to give the defense something else to look at and think about on more plays by utilizing pre-snap motion and eye candy at a high rate.  Maybe he knows that some gimmick plays with Harty are not such a bad thing to mix in.  Maybe he realizes that rolling Allen out on a regular basis giving him the option to throw or run on multiple plays would keep the defense off balance.

There are a lot of things that can be done differently with this same offense that we have been utilizing for years.  We know because we've seen it in the past.  Orbit motions, the push pass (I can't count the number of times Daboll called that with a ton of success and we haven't seen it once under Dorsey).  The changes to this offense are already in the playbook.  They just have to use them again.  The biggest thing Brady can do to be successful, though, is to put Allen in position to be alien we know he is.  Run him multiple times a game with designed runs.  No, I am not talking about 10 rushes a game, but 5 shouldn't be off the table.  Roll him out and create moving pockets and give him the green light on every play to take off if he doesn't see what anything he likes.  You take 4-5 yards on a "bad" Allen scramble every time.  You start making Allen's legs a weapon again and watch what happens down the field.  All of a sudden if Allen burns you a couple times with his legs and those defensive players start sneaking forward a bit, all of a sudden, those deeper routes open up.  These little things that we all know are in the playbook can add up to a lot.  How many times this season does it feel if they just do a couple of things different in certain situations that we could have scored that extra TD or gotten that extra 1st down to ice the game.  Football is a tough sport and as cliche as it is, it is a game of inches and the margin between winning and losing is super small even between the best and worst teams.  So, Brady doesn't have to reinvent the wheel here to be successful.  Just grease it a little. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

The players stopped playing for him. That's the difference. By and large I don't think his play calling has been terrible. He hasn't gotten his players to execute his plan - that's the issue.

agreed. his plan was not a good plan, it wasn't working, it wasn't smooth and workable. no one was better with his play calling.

joe brady will havea  tough time recovering this problem

2 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

Bills really need to hire whole new offensive team of coaches from outside.  Not promote from within.

Will need to wait till the offseason but with a gauntlet of good defensive teams coming up. This will be a good showcase for him to keep job permanently if he can turn things around.

He learned a lot from Steve Ensminger at LSU.  I expect:

Play action

Plenty of RPO

Intermediate routes

Less shotgun runs up the middle!

Joe Burrow learned to attack via the intermediate/short routes under Ensminger - I'd expect to see a lot of that in this back half of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.