DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

Just now, MJS said:

So wrong. Allen is a a big problem right now. Turnovers are the biggest deciders of games. Allen turns it over more than anyone in the league.

He's a Top 3 quarterback who isn't quite playing at that level despite leading the NFL in touchdowns.

But that's a short-term problem.

Coaching is a much bigger problem and much more to blame for the 5-5 record than our elite quarterback making a few mistakes.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Yeah, all that's true but Denver is a terrible football team that we couldn't get off the field.

We are supposed to have a better defense than most of the league even with injury. We have all these pretty stats, EPA, etc. but the defense has multiple chances to win this game and end last night and didn't. It has happened, what, like 3 times this year? Jacksonville? New England? The the NY?

They got lucky against the giants, too.

Think it's unfair to come at the defense here. They did get off the field. The offense kept putting them back out there through turnovers and 3 and outs. The last Broncos drive was pitiful no doubt but you really couldnt ask the defense to do more the rest of the game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Man the length some fans go to excuse our franchise QB from any accountability. No wonder he feels like not working hard in the offseason to improve. In his mind he probably thinks he’s the greatest because most of the fanbase keep saying it. 

He's not playing to his full potential right now. That happens to quarterbacks - even the great ones have rough stretches when the program is stale from a coaching staff that has lost the team.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I think you're incorrect about that. Dorsey is an "I'm the smartest guy in the room" type guy. Remember the temper tantrum? Yes, he is a bright young mind. He is exceptionally smart. But, anyone who thinks they're so much smarter than the rest is bound to fail. You also typically lose the respect of your subordinants too, because you simply do not listen to their input, or put them in the best position to take advantage of their strengths. Instead, you force them into positions that suit you.

So, Dorsey tried to show-up McD and the other coaches every day. He also tried to do the same to his offense.

Buh bye, Kenny!

I'm unaware of Dorsey trying to show up the other coaches. Where did you hear that?

It just really doesn't sit well with me that in a game where there was a glaring problem with the teams preparedness and execution in all three phases, that they singled out the guy that probably deserved the least amount of blame lastnight. 

McDermott needs to be held accountable

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's a Top 3 quarterback who isn't quite playing at that level despite leading the NFL in touchdowns.

Coaching is a much bigger problem and much more to blame for the 5-5 record than our elite quarterback making a few mistakes.

QB's turning it over at this rate aren't elite.  

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What do you mean- benching cook turned him into abeast. It might have been tone of the few things they did right that game 

who knows if it would have been different had he stayed in.

dorsey likely had to abandon all of the plays he had drawn up, regardless.

1 minute ago, Frostbite said:

Think it's unfair to come at the defense here. They did get off the field. The offense kept putting them back out there through turnovers and 3 and outs. The last Broncos drive was pitiful no doubt but you really couldnt ask the defense to do more the rest of the game. 

Seems to happen every loss. The offense is clunky, frustrating to watch, struggles to put points on the board. The defense is plucky and does a good job of preventing scores and keeping the team in it.

At the end of the game the offense steps up and takes the lead with a clutch touchdown. And then Defense chokes and loses at the last second.

It's a theme.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I don't understand how anyone is blaming the execution of the players for these losses as if there's no direct correlation between player success, playcalling, and game preparation during the week. 

The coaches are responsible for getting their players ready to play and execute the gameplan.  The coaches are responsible for the gameplan. 

When one guy is making a blunder then it's on the player.  When everyone is doing it then it is on the coaching. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

i can ask them to tackle better. to not have breakdowns in their execution. to make better reads.

they haven't lost a game this year by attrition. they've not been seeming to play tired. just uninspired and demotivated.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He consistently scores more touchdowns than anyone. Touchdowns are a good thing. 

In a list of 100 things that has to be fixed with this franchise, Josh Allen is not on the list.

Not only is he in the top 100..he's in the top 2.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Seems to happen every loss. The offense is clunky, frustrating to watch, struggles to put points on the board. The defense is plucky and does a good job of preventing scores and keeping the team in it.

At the end of the game the offense steps up and takes the lead with a clutch touchdown. And then Defense chokes and loses at the last second.

It's a theme.

YES!   That is EXACTLY how most of the past several games have gone.  The defense plays OK most of the game but then chokes in the very end (They basically choked in the Giants loss too, but the TD pass went incomplete).

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

It just really doesn't sit well with me that in a game where there was a glaring problem with the teams preparedness and execution in all three phases, that they singled out the guy that probably deserved the least amount of blame lastnight. 

It is also not the first time that this has been evident. Regardless of the issue of players executing properly, it's very clear that this team has and has had a serious leadership problem, and that the decision making ability of the coaches is simply not at a championship level of performance.

Unless Joe Brady is able to scheme a truly dominate offense that compensates for these other errors and shortcomings, I think that McD is done after this year. Almost for certain if we miss the playoffs, and still very likely if we fall short of the AFC Championship Game.

• Like (+1) 1

About time too.

Not putting James Cook back in after getting the ball ripped out in order to help him regain confidence was not the right thing to do.

Ken Dorsey turned Josh Allen into Sam Darnold...If you consistently throw an interception on one particular pass play...take it out of the playbook.

Just now, 90sBills said:

Sure why not. Don’t care about interceptions as he’s throwing them to the other teams almost on a weekly basis. But it’s no big deal. I’m sure there’s no stats at all that supports losing the turnover battle in a game leads to losing games. 

No,  it's really not a big deal unless the QB is throwing an unusually high number of them.  14 or 15 a year,  which is what it has been before now is definitely manageable.  The Bills' record in recent years before this one is proof enough of that. 

Whatever is wrong with this offense is more than just interceptions.  

3 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

McDermott was fired by Andy Reid because he constantly failed to adjust when his schemes weren’t working. Seems like he never learned from it.

Why didn't Terry see this as a huge red flag?  Maybe because Andy hadn't landed Patrick yet.  McDermott is an incredibly stubborn and conservative coach. That's why he never got along with Daboll.  Diggs was right...Daboll was right....and the insufferable McD fanboys were just too naive to see it.

• Thank you (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I know some felt this would be a desirable OC landing spot, but is it really? You want to attach yourself to McD right now? He has a history of releasing coordinators and he's on his way out the door. No sane OC would take this job. I agree we needed to move on, but I don't see what I just outlined as not being the state of the union. 

The opportunity would be there to take over as HC if he's shown the door mid-season,  It's a backdoor way to becoming an HC.

I guess I don't understand all the talk that it's all McDermott's fault and Dorsey is just the scapegoat. The same players put up way more points under Daboll, and this offense is clearly not doing as well since Dorsey took over. And with McDermott running the defense, it is abundantly clear that he is counting on his OC to manage the offense. Oh, and by the way, McDermott's defense has lost half it's starters, spends 2/3 of every game on the field, and yet has managed to keep the Bills in most of their games. 

13 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree that there have been issues with Dorsey's work this season, but the performance of the offense last evening was on the players.  Specifically, the turnovers were perhaps the most important factor in the Bills' loss, and that is on the players.  Unfortunately, this wasn't a single player issue.  Cook, Davis and Allen all bore responsibility.  You can't bench all of them, and probably not any of them.   They all need to do a better job holding on to the football. 

Don't you think that the discipline and focus needed to execute at a high level is the direct responsibility of the coordinator?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

It is also not the first time that this has been evident. Regardless of the issue of players executing properly, it's very clear that this team has and has had a serious leadership problem, and that the decision making ability of the coaches is simply not at a championship level of performance.

Unless Joe Brady is able to scheme a truly dominate offense that compensates for these other errors and shortcomings, I think that McD is done after this year. Almost for certain if we miss the playoffs, and still very likely if we fall short of the AFC Championship Game.

I guess you subscribe to the bull#### mantra of "next man up", otherwise you'd account for the devastating injuries to our defense and adjust your expectations accordingly. Next man up, is coach-speak for we don't like excuses (even when it's perfectly legitimate and clearly affecting performance).

It takes everything, scheme, coaching, execution and yes... injury luck to get to the AFC Championship/and or the Super Bowl. While it's not clear if we have the schemes, coaching and players to get there, it is clear we haven't had the injury luck the last two years. 

Edited by Ballhawk

Just now, Ballhawk said:

I guess you subscribe to the bull#### mantra of "next man up", otherwise you'd account for the devastating injuries to our defense and adjust your expectations accordingly.

It takes everything, scheme, coaching, execution and yes... injury luck to get to the AFC Championship/and or the Super Bowl. While it's not clear if we have the schemes, coaching and players to get there, it is clear we haven't had the injury luck the last two years. 

"injury luck" is the product of an OLD roster.

Just now, Ballhawk said:

I guess you subscribe to the bull#### mantra of "next man up", otherwise you'd account for the devastating injuries to our defense and adjust your expectations accordingly.

I'm very aware of our injury situation.

The point still stands that if we score one more time in basically any and all of our losses, we are leading the division right now. The defense has problems but all things considered, I don't put the majority of the blame on them for how things currently stand. For as talented as Allen is, along with Diggs, Kincaid, and sometimes Cook and sometimes Davis, it's inexcusable for the offense to have been performing how it has.

9 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I dont disagree about McDermott but our offense has disappointed now for weeks in a row.  They played putrid yesterday.   Turnovers, drops, it was the single biggest reason we lost.

17 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree that there have been issues with Dorsey's work this season, but the performance of the offense last evening was on the players.  Specifically, the turnovers were perhaps the most important factor in the Bills' loss, and that is on the players.  Unfortunately, this wasn't a single player issue.  Cook, Davis and Allen all bore responsibility.  You can't bench all of them, and probably not any of them.   They all need to do a better job holding on to the football. 

I don't disagree that the players were the primary problem last night...but whose job is it to get those players ready? 

When it's not just one player having issues with execution, ball security, and sloppiness...when it's pretty much every player on offense...that points to one thing, in my opinion: Coaching. 

Guys like Cook and Diggs and Allen didn't all just suddenly become worse players from last year to this year. Their trend of regression that begin when Daboll left and continues now points, again, to coaching.

When an entire offense worth of players is failing and committing the same errors week after week, the coach in charge of that offense is not doing a good enough job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Trust me McDermott is dead coach walking and he knows it. He played his last scapegoat card this morning.  Surprised he didn't fire Smiley too.  He's not only lost the locker room but I think the lack of team confidence is astounding. Josh has lost leadership skills. He's pouting more. Players have to cheer him up and not the other way around.  Obviously for 6 years McD has forced him to be heroic.  And that's where we see all the reckless hero ball.  No mentor, no tough boss to get in his face and reel him back in.  Even Nick Wright (who I still hate) accurately stated this morning that Josh doesn't know when to "turn off" hero ball.  "You don't need hero ball against Mac Jones, Zach Wilson or aging Russell Wilson.  He said the Bills should be 8-2. This hero ball persona has been hammered into Josh because of McDermott. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.