McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

Well you don’t have to just sit there and keep punching the timeclock, at this point Diggs and Kincaid are your constants, so try anything else with the pieces you have: 

1. Have a Josh McDaniels type come to Jesus meeting.

2. Players go to Dorsey individually.

3. Hire a consultant.

4. I know it’s sacrilegious but maybe dial back Gabe’s snaps because he can’t separate or do anything more than 50% of all the games he’s played. 

5. Target Diggs 20 times a game. Target Kincaid the other 20. 

6. Maybe play Harty more than 7 combined snaps in the last two games after he shows you that he can make 4 guys miss in a phone booth against the Patriots ??????????????????

7. Activate Shorter and try him? 

8. Call up Isabella and try him? 

9. Call up Fournette and try him? 

Can’t figure out how to do 6-9: line them up in the back field and pitch it to them. 

10. Let Josh call the plays.

11. Just start calling Josh designed runs again and get 11 on 11.

12. Get Gabe off the field 

13. Get Gabe off the field 

14. Get Gabe off the field

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

of course, i understand it's not easy to recognize how great i am.

i just know it did.

the players want to win regardless of who the coach is but when is the last time this team had an identity? even the defense? these guys are institutionalized to the system of the nfl and those who are not we often hear rumors about them being unhappy (hughes, and diggs notably).

hughes, mckenzie, diggs, feleciano, poyer, wallace, a few others

offense v. defense.

When Daboll left and Dorsey came on, our identity went away. What’s the different variable here?

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Burn 2-3 seasons changing out the roster to fit brand new schemes on offense and defense?

2-3 seasons?? Come on man. It's not the 70s. NFL teams can turn around fast under the right guidance.

The roster change out is coming anyways on defense. If you're going to switch coaches, now is the time.

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

When Daboll left and Dorsey came on, our identity went away. What’s the different variable here?

go back and search some of the posts i've made. i've commented on this a few times and never fully compiled it.

but daboll had the whole offense on his side and believing in him. it was a big loss. even the defense were all about daboll because they respected what he had the offense doing and the vibe they passed.

mcdermott rebuilt us but he has hit his glass ceiling with the team as it is and he is responsible for the choices and mistakes we have made.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure Gabe is being used right, he’s a bigger target we should be able to get him some opportunities underneath.  Shakir is catching everything thrown his way and Kincaid is on the rise, Cook can catch, Diggs is Diggs.  The offensive scheme blows, McClappy WANTS a more balanced run/pass game. No BUENO coach, just how dense are you after weeks of this nonsense!

It was  a load of crap when he stated after the game he wasn’t sure whats wrong & that he needed to look into our offensive woes.  He’s part of the problem. Gmafb!

Dorsey is in over his head, McD is a defensive coordinator.  This problem is our scheme and coaches. End of story!

Oh & Daboll is no part of the solution. He wasn’t great here to start with.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If they lose at home on primetime TV to the Broncos, that might do it.  I share your affection for Ben Johnson.  This week will also be interesting because the Big 10 is going to be levying some kind of punishment on Michigan - perhaps it frees up Harbaugh, and perhaps he becomes Option A (and yes I’m aware he once fought Jim Kelly nobody cares anymore).

I would take Harbaugh as head coach in a second.  As an ex-QB he has the offensive background that works n the modern NFL.  Importantly he has alreday been very successful in the NFL.  If Pegula were to pass him by if he became available the Bills would regret it for years.

6 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Not sure Gabe is being used right, he’s a bigger target we should be able to get him some opportunities underneath.  Shakir is catching everything thrown his way and Kincaid is on the rise, Cook can catch, Diggs is Diggs.  The offensive scheme blows, McClappy WANTS a more balanced run/pass game. No BUENO chief!

It was  a load of crap when he stated after the game he wasn’t sure whats wrong & that he needed to look into our offensive woes.  He’s part of the problem. Gmafb!

Dorsey is in over his head, McD is a defensive coordinator.  This problem is our scheme and coaches. End of story!

The problem with Gabe, is that he's a bigger receiver, that doesn't create much separation unless it's a deep route. Unfortunately for a big WR, he does not make contested catches or use his size well.  

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well you don’t have to just sit there and keep punching the timeclock, at this point Diggs and Kincaid are your constants, so try anything else with the pieces you have: 

1. Have a Josh McDaniels type come to Jesus meeting.

2. Players go to Dorsey individually.

3. Hire a consultant.

4. I know it’s sacrilegious but maybe dial back Gabe’s snaps because he can’t separate or do anything more than 50% of all the games he’s played. 

5. Target Diggs 20 times a game. Target Kincaid the other 20. 

6. Maybe play Harty more than 7 combined snaps in the last two games after he shows you that he can make 4 guys miss in a phone booth against the Patriots ??????????????????

7. Activate Shorter and try him? 

8. Call up Isabella and try him? 

9. Call up Fournette and try him? 

Can’t figure out how to do 6-9: line them up in the back field and pitch it to them. 

10. Let Josh call the plays.

11. Just start calling Josh designed runs again and get 11 on 11.

12. Get Gabe off the field 

13. Get Gabe off the field 

14. Get Gabe off the field

Yeah... the Harty thing is weird.  He's got running back quickness, hands, etc. and we can't put him on the field for 10-20 plays and pull gabe off?  Or pull shakir off and throw diggs in the slot? 

I know they like gabe as a inline blocker in some formations, but if you jet motion harty across the formation it functions the exact same way as blocking.  He's also like... the exact opposite of davis - short and quick, while davis is taller and takes a second to get going out of his breaks.  Like... don't we want to stress the defense?  Sherfield has top end speed on those deep crossers... shouldn't we use that speed to our advantage?  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

The problem with Gabe, is that he's a bigger receiver, that doesn't create much separation unless it's a deep route. Unfortunately for a big WR, he does not make contested catches or use his size well.  

That’s nonsense the week before he had 9 catches on 12 targets for about 10 yd a catch, his deepest catch was 16yds.  It can be done, the OC the HC & the offense/scheme are utter garbage.

Send Gabe to KC let’s see what AR does with him….

Edited by PayDaBill$

4 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

Have you ever listened to his post-game speeches? He is killing the collective testosterone level in the locker room with that cringe beta a** s***.

I’ve never liked critiquing coaches on things that likely don’t matter at all on the win/loss column, but you’re right that those post game speeches are pretty rough 😂.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

His arrogance is off the charts. A change is needed after this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Not sure Gabe is being used right, he’s a bigger target we should be able to get him some opportunities underneath.  Shakir is catching everything thrown his way and Kincaid is on the rise, Cook can catch, Diggs is Diggs.  The offensive scheme blows, McClappy WANTS a more balanced run/pass game. No BUENO coach, just how dense are you after weeks of this nonsense!

Literally just did this against TB and then this game he's just running clear outs.  I don't love gabe the player, but man do we set this guy up to not get targeted sometimes. 

I agree on balance... at times.  Weather is about to get pretty lousy soon, and you need to be able to run the ball in those games.  Right now i have 0 faith in our ability to do that.  We don't have run plays we use a lot that work, it seems like we're constantly in the mud lately.  

• Agree 2

Here’s the problem. We’ve had season changing  injuries on Defense. The Priority of this head coach should have been to talk to Dorsey and say take this incredibly capable offense and slam its foot on the gas and score as many points as possible to make up for the deficiencies on defense. At least that should of been the plan. What did we get instea? Conservative bullshyt on Offense and then to top it off? The Defense that McDermott is running is getting torched. No adjustments on Offense NO adjustments on Defense and That is 100 percent on McDermott. He has reached his ceiling. Dorsey does not run a balanced offense. That is STILL on McDermott. Injuries aside this team is a mess and he needs to be fired.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

That’s nonsense the week before he had 9 catches on 12 targets for about 10 yd a catch.  It can be done, the OC the HC & the offense/scheme are utter garbage.

I think both things can be true and are true.  Dorsey is the bigger problem, no argument from me there. But outside of the amazing one handed contested catch against Minkah, you can't tell me Gabe is good at contested catches, you're completely wrong on that.

11 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I think both things can be true and are true.  Dorsey is the bigger problem, no argument from me there. But outside of the amazing one handed contested catch against Minkah, you can't tell me Gabe is good at contested catches, you're completely wrong on that.

You have other WR TE RB in route if Gabes contested and that’s not his strong game check it down.  He’s shown he can be productive, it’s the scheme. 

Against JVille he had 6 catches on 8 targets for 16 yd catch.  Again it can be done, is he stud, no but he is serviceable in the right scheme.

The issue here is all too obvious.

Edited by PayDaBill$

26 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

You have other WR TE RB in route if Gabes contested and that’s not his strong game check it down.  He’s shown he can be productive, it’s the scheme. 

He doesn't win enough in 1 on 1 situations. However, I would like to see him run more crossers. He seemed to excell with those. We're all familiar with his great toe tap catches in the playoffs. I would start with the removal of Dorsey 1st, to see if he can be utilized a little different as well. 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Protect the defense at all cost. Don’t score too quick because now the other team gets the ball. The less the D is in the field the stats look better no matter how good the D is. 

The best way to protect the defense is by having sustained drives and scoring points. We ran tons of up tempo against the Bucs and we're blowing them out. We stopped, and had to hold our breath on another hail mary. Are defense was built to play with a lead, and force teams to pass. Nothing kills a D more than 3 and outs. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yep but also basically admitting he’s not part of the weekly offensive install which is shocking, especially for a game of that magnitude.  What I think actually happened was that someone decided that the Bengals’ DC is too clever and prepared (aka a better coach) to run the same offensive concepts they ran the previous game so they tried to catch the Bengals off guard with a different set of concepts.

They are morons.

It is shocking and shows little regard for how much offense wins games now, especially with a very good QB.  

Looking back, I don't think McD has really embraced being the Head Coach in a classic sense.  He came into the job still showing preference for defense and doesn't seem like he acclimated to overseeing both defense and offense.  And that was reinforced when he took on the DC function, although I'm sure there are assistants.

In a way, it reminds me somewhat of Gailey playing HC and OC while abdicating defense to his DC.  He had no answers when inevitably those defenses stunk because he wasn't a part of that game-prep much.  And he never cared to get deep into that side of the ball.  

• Like (+1) 2

When you listen to McDermott and Dorsey, their philosophy seems to be do a little of everything so as never to become too predictable. 

Honestly, they are starting to sound like Chan Gailey was at the end, even Allen said it - if we could fix it we would - where it's this never ending conveyor belt of try a little of this, do a little of that, run shotgun on 2-inches to keep the defense off balance, take a shot with Harty then never play him again, have Gabe be a decoy over here, don't overuse Stef over there, mix in an Allen designed run but then never use it again because he'll get hurt. 

I'm wondering if that's why they look like a jumbled mess. 

Ken was talking about getting players "in space" this week, leaving no "stone unturned" - that's an old Gailey phrase as well. He's not creative. We saw this with Hines, we're seeing it now with Harty - he doesn't know what to do with these guys. 

I think a part of this is you have a rocket armed QB with 0 deep threats. He wants to uncork throws, but he's chained to personnel that can't really threaten a defense either by route running or speed. 

We need to spend a 1st Round pick on a real WR with enough size/speed/route running traits that can just win. High traits WR from a real school. That's the biggest problem in our offense. Not sieving for flakes of gold in the river, or mining for diamonds in the rough. 

I think Harty can be a small lever to pull (2-3 times try to get the ball in his hands), but look, he's never been a big part of an offense. He has less than 1,000 career receiving yards. If he was Tyreek Hill, he'd be out there. Sherfield I didn't see anything in. He's a journey man - Cardinals, 49ers, Dolphins, etc. 

Andy Isabella has bounced around the league, and again, has less than 1,000 career receiving yards.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

It’s the same reason he challenged the 9 yd pass play in the 4th qtr, and frittered away our crucial TO. It’s because he’s a poor game day decision maker and he’s super conservative and doesn’t understand offensive rhythm and how it’s created. I want to believe we can win games in spite of his shortcomings but if his defenses are unable to make stops, he’s holding us back.

At least the incomplete call on the field stopped the clock. If he'd won the challenge I imagine they would have done a mandatory clock run off. I'm not even sure 9 yards would've been worth the loss of clock.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

At least the incomplete call on the field stopped the clock. If he'd won the challenge I imagine they would have done a mandatory clock run off. I'm not even sure 9 yards would've been worth the loss of clock.

If you’re being objective, Sean’s decision to challenge had such a small chance of being successful with the ball obviously hitting the ground and being ruled incomplete on the field, it was a gift to the Bengals. He’s not a coach that aggressively tries to win a game. He’s coaching as if he’s got a top 5 defense. In 4 straight games, his defense has allowed a team to come right down the field and score at the end of the game or in the Giants case, get left at the 1 yd line when Johnson’s PI wasn’t called. If Sean can’t stop a team on defense, he’s got to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

The crazy thing about this the past for the last month it’s like they couldn’t make adjustments in game to get the O rolling. Then when the O looks like it’s got something going they adjust out of it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited by BananaB

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So many have it wrong in this thread...you guys realize that McD is giving you DORSEY's answer to why they didn't run the uptempo right?  

All this anger at McD over the answer is totally misguided.  Now if you want to be mad at McD for not yet firing Dorsey, then that is fair game.  But this answer everyone is so upset about is the answer Dorsey gave McD after they met and reviewed the game.  

FIRE DORSEY

Lmao McDermott wants the offense to be conservative and slow and methodical and eat clock..dorsey is just calling the plays that align to McDermott wishes pal

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

And how many times has this answer been given to McDermott throughout the season?  Because this movie has been played way too many times throughout the season. Either way it is inexcusable on both their parts regardless. 

Gotta love the fans who still remain steadfast in their support of McDermott and even when faced with the truth,double down and defend him even more lol....McDermott is Bills Mafias David Koresh 😆 

14 hours ago, Roundybout said:

The hire made all the sense in the world. Obviously it failed. Hopefully McD does the right thing and terminates him. 

Yes the giants are a model organization huh

Giants are a mess but Dabol is better than any coach we have on our staff

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He'd still need the okay from ownership to fire someone at the level of an Offensive Coordinator.

And you know that how? ..um usually HCs have full control over who they hire and fire as far as coordinators ....but that's besides the point...McDermott doesn't want to fire any of his hand picked "YES" men....he can and does control everyone on this staff including his GM whom he brought over from Carolina lol...why do you think it's been so uneven with top draft picks and FA going to the defense side of the ball....McDermott gives bean his shopping list and bean goes and gets McDermott wishes

Edited by Billever76

7 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

And you know that how? ..um usually HCs have full control over who they hire and fire as far as coordinators ....but that's besides the point...McDermott doesn't want to fire any of his hand picked "YES" men....he can and does control everyone on this staff including his GM whom he brought over from Carolina lol...why do you think it's been so uneven with top draft picks and FA going to the defense side of the ball....McDermott gives bean his shopping list and bean goes and gets McDermott wishes

Just basic ***** logic, it's one of the top 4 non player positions on the team, hell top 3 since McDermott is also the acting DC. There's no way ownership is going to want that position pulled without input/consultation.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Just basic ***** logic, it's one of the top 4 non player positions on the team, hell top 3 since McDermott is the acting DC. There's no way ownership is going to want that position pulled without input/consultation.

And even beyond that, owners have to pay out the coach's contract after they are fired even while paying the new guy on top of that.

Terry probably wants to know before we start flinging around his millions.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Just basic ***** logic, it's one of the top 4 non player positions on the team, hell top 3 since McDermott is also the acting DC. There's no way ownership is going to want that position pulled without input/consultation.

Pegula isn't even a football guy....he is and has been a hands off owner..he literally bought the Bills for his wife lol....nah McDermott can fire any coordinator he wants to bro

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

Gotta love the fans who still remain steadfast in their support of McDermott and even when faced with the truth,double down and defend him even more lol....McDermott is Bills Mafias David Koresh 😆 

Giants are a mess but Dabol is better than any coach we have on our staff

The Giants have the same level of talent that McD had in 2017 when he took us to 9-7 and broke the drought 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Billever76 said:

Pegula isn't even a football guy....he is and has been a hands off owner..he literally bought the Bills for his wife lol....nah McDermott can fire any coordinator he wants to bro

I dont think he'd get much push back from Terry if it is something he felt strongly about, but you want to let the boss know.

If Terry shows up to surprise news that his team just fired their OC and he had no idea, that isnt a great look for McD.

Moves of that level are absolutely discussed by the execs.

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

The Giants have the same level of talent that McD had in 2017 when he took us to 9-7 and broke the drought 

And Dabol took them to the playoffs last year and won coach of the year. And is having a 2nd year dip, just like McD did in 2018 with the 6-10 Bills.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think he'd get much push back from Terry if it is something he felt strongly about, but you want to let the boss know.

If Terry shows up to surprise news that his team just fired their OC and he had no idea, that isnt a great look for McD.

Moves of that level are absolutely discussed by the execs.

And Dabol took them to the playoffs last year and won coach of the year. And is having a 2nd year dip, just like McD did in 2018 with the 6-10 Bills.

This ain’t a dip, this is the Hindenburg 

3 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

That’s nonsense the week before he had 9 catches on 12 targets for about 10 yd a catch, his deepest catch was 16yds.  It can be done, the OC the HC & the offense/scheme are utter garbage.

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Literally just did this against TB and then this game he's just running clear outs.  I don't love gabe the player, but man do we set this guy up to not get targeted sometimes. 

His production against TB was a mirage. They ran a bunch of crazy off coverages and gave him free access that he never normally gets. On his TD it was a busted coverage.Davis does not separate in short areas if the defense makes an effort to stop him. But the Bucs defense is a joke.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.