Never thought I'd see a Josh Allen lead team on the outside looking in

Scott7975

Even the Jets are ahead of us in the hunt.  I said this game was practically a must win.  I also said if the Bills lost this game a WC is unlikely and the Bills would need to win the division to make the playoffs.  There is zero room for error now and we are going to need help.  We lose the head to head against a wild card competitor.  We have too many conference losses against other teams in the hunt.  Buffalo is likely going to have to win out or lose maybe one and get some help.

image.thumb.png.ab39500b7b09d1b76af98c014373bd71.png

Yes I know 4 of those teams are from the same division and they will somewhat beat each other up, but we still have no room for error.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Even the Jets are ahead of us in the hunt.  I said this game was practically a must win.  I also said if the Bills lost this game a WC is unlikely and the Bills would need to win the division to make the playoffs.  There is zero room for error now and we are going to need help.  We lose the head to head against a wild card competitor.  We have too many conference losses against other teams in the hunt.  Buffalo is likely going to have to win out or lose maybe one and get some help.

Yes I know 4 of those teams are from the same division and they will somewhat beat each other up, but we still have no room for error.  

We control our own destiny for a playoff spot (as do the Dolphins). We don't need help.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Wasn’t this the case in 2021 after the wind game? Wasn’t Allen 7-6 outside looking in. Suppose we go 2-2 next 4, same record same situation. 

It felt different though. The vibe of this team has changed dramatically. It’s way more tight, serious, flat, and they look like they’re just not having fun anymore. 

And there is obviously something wrong with this offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It felt different though. The vibe of this team has changed dramatically. It’s way more tight, serious, flat, and they look like they’re just not having fun anymore. 

The offense was bogged down in 2021. The team was 7-6. The difference is Miami, and the Jets are better than 2021. On the bright side the Bills have a better running back Cook > Singletary, and tight end Kincaid > Knox. The issue is the defense is banged up. Our starting field position is worse and our defense is being drove on resulting in zero margin for error for the O to operate. All the more reason for the offense to play uptempo and play more aggressive.

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It really didn’t though. It was pretty doom and gloom leading up to that Buccaneers loss. We went embarrassing loss to the Jags, killed the jets, got demolished by the colts, killed the saints, wind game, loss to the Bucs. Luckily they figured something out as a team during that bucs comeback attempt and rode it the rest of the year. But prior to that, they looked inconsistent and tight, much like they do now

• Like (+1) 3

Look at the 4 losses through a microscope.

Jets loss Josh basically played his worst game 

Jaguars loss they didn’t wake up till late in the second quarter

Patriots Bills come all the way back to take the lead only to have Mac Jones go 85 yards on Mcdermott

Bengals the team was stuck on 10 points till the 4th quarter.

Most of the problems this year is on the offense with the Pats game thrown in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That and we knew we had a soft schedule down the stretch that year.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Look at the 4 losses through a microscope.

Jets loss Josh basically played his worst game 

Jaguars loss they didn’t wake up till late in the second quarter

Patriots Bills come all the way back to take the lead only to have Mac Jones go 85 yards on Mcdermott

Bengals the team was stuck on 10 points till the 4th quarter.

Most of the problems this year is on the offense with the Pats game thrown in. 

Yep. The coaches have effectively neutered Allen for long stretches of these games. It’s not a successful strategy. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He’s saying if we’re only a game behind Miami going into the last week it’s for the division

I’m aware. My opening post said if we don’t win the division. Frankly with our upcoming schedule and the way we been playing, I’m not sure that we will. We are a game behind now but not necessarily a game behind at the end of the year. It’s not even a given we will sweep Miami. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:
Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

The offense was bogged down in 2021. The team was 7-6. The difference is Miami, and the Jets are better than 2021. On the bright side the Bills have a better running back Cook > Singletary, and tight end Kincaid > Knox. The issue is the defense is banged up. Our starting field position is worse and our defense is being drove on resulting in zero margin for error for the O to operate. All the more reason for the offense to play uptempo and play more aggressive.

Zero margin for error; sounds really plausible and just where we want to be. Probably the plan all along. Just like losing is a great wake up call.  Or this’ will be a get right game. Everything we want is still right in front of us.   I cant do that anymore (ints).   We will watch the video and learn.  We are still finding our identity. The other team gets paid too. It’s hard to win in the NFL.   ,,,,oh yeah , we need to play complimentary football!    Yep, seems like old times and we will flip the switch really soon.  We have just not been aggressive enough.   God bless you, your are a glass half full guy!  The world is better when more half fulls , fill the place!   I’m half full about that, really!  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Wasn’t this the case in 2021 after the wind game? Wasn’t Allen 7-6 outside looking in. Suppose we go 2-2 next 4, same record same situation. 

It was, and we won and lost every other game too. The Bucs game was their turning point.

Only difference is, the games we have left are really good teams on the road, and the team is a lot more banged up. 2021 was weird because our schedule was "easier" and we were flat against some of the bad teams in 2021. I feel like this team is so banged up and without an identity. We will see though.

Fact is that winning the Division is likely to be the easiest way in.  That means simply winning the same number of games as the Dolphins until the rematch last game of season.  That will make that game essentially the first round of the playoffs.  Miami has Cowboys and Ravens and @Jets on schedule.  If they lose two, that means the bills can have 6 losses going into that game.  Three and we go to 7.

Must win games are Broncos Pats and Jets at home.  Toss up games are Dallas at home, and at Chargers. At KC and Philly are losses.   Need to win toss up games, or steal a loss game.  

NYT playoff calculator projects if we beat Pats Jets and Broncos at home, and a win against Dolphins, 73% playoff chance.  If the Bills beat either Dallas or the Chargers too, playoff chances are 90% plus.  

As bad as things feel right now, there is still time to turn this thing around as in 2021.

Edited by Casey D

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Weren't we outside looking in at 7-6 during 2021?

Well I tried warning you guys for a while but yes it sucks.

Would simply encourage all of you to enjoy rest of season but assume the worst (i.e. no playoffs, losing season, Pegulas keeping McD/Beane and using injury excuse, etc). Life is too short to be emotional and mentally ravaged by this ***** football team.

30 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Weren't we outside looking in at 7-6 during 2021?

Yes.  We started 5-2, 6-3.  Had a lot of blowout wins or at least wins where our O put up a ton of points.  Including a blowout win against the Chiefs.  Lost a few close games.  The offense even after putting up only 6 points to the Jags, 10 points in a hurricane to the Pats, and 15 points to the Colts was still averaging 28 ppg.  Thats how good our offense was that year in the 10 other games.  Our division had no real competition that year despite some people shaking in their boots about the Pats.  We had a soft schedule remaining against that same Pats team not in a hurricane, Atlanta, Panthers, and a terrible Jets team that didn't give us trouble back then.  What about this season resembles any of that?

25 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Would simply encourage all of you to enjoy rest of season but assume the worst (i.e. no playoffs, losing season, Pegulas keeping McD/Beane and using injury excuse, etc). Life is too short to be emotional and mentally ravaged by this ***** football team.

Nobody cares about your racist, homophobe, lying, trolling ass.  Just go back to twitter where you are ignored there.  I can't believe they let you back in yet again.  If the mods don't like my comments to you after your soft ass reports me, I will be happy to prove them.

PS... dont pat yourself on the back because you were wrong all those years too.

Edited by Scott7975

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Steelers might be able to get to 10 wins - theres some softies in there.  They play their division tough.  But 5 road games, and no passing game is probably going to be tough for them to go 5-4 rest of the way.

Jets also have no passing game.  That tends to rear its head more and more as the year goes on.  Causing you to lose games you should probably win.  

Browns have a run game, and they have a defense.  Probably my 2nd WC pick after the bengals.  Same time though they turn the ball over more than buffalo.  Their defense reminds me a bit of some of the Bills #1 defenses that just destroyed a few teams and had amazing stats.  They shouldn't be a shoo-in.  

Houston has a soft schedule, only play 3 outdoor games rest of the year.  But they also just lost to carolina last week so I'm not likely to annoint them anytime soon.  

Buffalo needs to win their home slate the rest of the way - Denver, NYJ, Dallas, NE.  That would put them at 9 wins.  Of the remaining games 1 win against Philly, KC, LAC, and Miami gets them to 10.  I hate looking at a schedule and saying the Cliche thing of we can beat any of those teams, but its not wrong.  They can go toe to toe with anyone for the most part and keep it close.  I think the bigger issue with this team and how they are playing, is they absolutely can lose any of those 4 home games.  1 win on the road this year, and the only home loss was in London.  

My guess?  10-7.  Denver, NYJ, NE, LAC, Miami as the W's.  

51 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Please show me where they have been meh until late Nov.  Maybe a couple game stretch but nothing like this.  Not since Josh rookie year.

They were "meh" until mid December in 2021.

And to answer your previous question of how this year is like that year... how am I supposed to do that?  This year just passed the halfway mark.  I guess I'd say in 2021 at this point we were 6-3 while this year we're 5-4.

Of all our remaining games, the only game I don't really think we can win is against Philly.  Much like the Bengals yesterday, I think Philly is just a terrible matchup for us.

Every other game, Buffalo can win.  I'm not saying they will, but they can.  Kansas City is a much better matchup for us than the Bengals.  Cowboys are at home.  Jets are at home.  Broncos are at home.  Chargers might be one of the worst teams remaining on our schedule.  Patriots are the worst... plus it'll probably be a revenge game.  Beating the Phins in Miami will be tough... except Josh Allen vs. Miami.

We'll end up with a record between 9-8 and 11-6.  I think 12-5 is a real possibility, but I doubt we win every game other than Philly.

We're halfway through a Bills season.  Only half the story of 2023 is written.  Let it play out.

17 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You eventually can’t hide a crap head coach.

38 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They were "meh" until mid December in 2021.

No they were not.  Not even close. 

Sept. 16, 35, 43 were the points scored. It was a bad opener but the Bills destroyed the second two weeks.  That was not meh.

Oct. 40, 38, 31, 26 points scored.  We blew out 3 opponents including the Chiefs and even in our loss scored 31 points and should have won that game too.  That was not meh.

Nov. 6, 45, 15, 31 points scored.  Yeah, we had two clunkers but it was still not a meh month. Blew out 2 of the 4 opponents. 

Not sure what you were watching but it wasn't Bills football.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Is that how you get by as a Dolphins fan?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.