Montez Sweat Massive New Contract

Process

In the past year the bears have 

- Traded a top 40 pick for a DE who has never had double digits sacks, and paid him $25M /yr

-Signed Edmunds to a contract paying him $18M /yr

- Traded the #32 pick for Chase Claypool only to basically cut him a year later 

😳

• Haha (+1) 5

What. Are. The Bears. Doing?!

First of all, Sweat was a free agent after the year, they could’ve handed him the bag without losing a draft choice. No other team was paying Sweat close to $25M/yr. All this before they’ve even seen him take a snap in their defense. I could run that organization better and do it for less than half of what Poles is making 😅 Poor Bears fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What in the world has this guy done in this league to justify that kind of contract?  I mean, we'll have to wait to see the final breakdown of the contract, but man.....  At those number, for that level of player, you can kiss AJ Epenesa goodbye for sure now.  If AJ continues his level of play that he's had this season, even though it has been a bit of up and down at times, he's smiling looking at this contract for sure.

Edited by sven233
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Process said:

- Traded a top 40 pick for a DE who has never had double digits sacks, and paid him $25M /yr

😳

Now that is a process I would not trust.  

The problem with the Bears is one that Bills fans should be very familiar with.

Their owner is 100 year old Virginia Halas McCaskey.

They are stuck in mediocrity until the team is sold after her passing. And then a couple years to right the ship.

Nothing will change until that happens, just like in our drought years with Ralph.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Bears fans are hoping for halftime of the next game. It’s soon enough, and it adds a nice twist. 

He’s a disaster. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pass on Caleb Williams if available to them at this point. 

29 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

What. Are. The Bears. Doing?!

First of all, Sweat was a free agent after the year, they could’ve handed him the bag without losing a draft choice.

Yes. This is insanity. They pretty much just threw away a 2nd round pick. And based on their team, it's going to be a very high 2nd round pick. What a disaster.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Process said:

😳

Bears are gonna Bear lol

50 minutes ago, Process said:

😳

They should've nixed poles ability to make this trade. They're stacked with picks, and he's making crazy moves in hopes to be around to make all those picks.

The trade down was great, especially demanding dj moore... but that was luck and desperation of another bad team. 

Both the trade and extension are the - flop around on the keyboard when the boss walks by to look busy - type moves 

• Agree 1

It’s kinda unfair to judge them on the sweat and Edmunds contracts. 
They have tons of cap space and are a horribly ran franchise. They have to spend it. 
As bills fans I’d expect some of you to remember that you have to overpay free agents to join or stay in the dumpster fire. But please, don’t let that stop you from the non stop edmunds bashing as he lives rent free in some of y’all’s heads. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Have the Bears ever heard of a position known as quarterback?

I've been watching football for fifty years or so, and as far as I can recall during that time, Jay Cutler was the best QB they ever had. That's pathetic.

27 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s kinda unfair to judge them on the sweat and Edmunds contracts. 

Unfair to judge Poles on the two biggest contracts of his career? If your GM spends $170M on two players I'd say that's fair game for criticism. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not a bad move by Chicago.  Their defense is awful.  Got a very good edge player for a second round pick.  Sweat seems comparable to Greg Rousseau…next year Beane will have to decide whether to offer him a deal like this.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sweat is a good player. Paid now like a great player. The Bears are hopeless top to bottom.

Sweat has elite traits…his production has been somewhat disappointing but that Washington team is a joke and Del Rio is an abysmal defensive coordinator.  He is young and has a lot of upside.

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

Unfair to judge Poles on the two biggest contracts of his career? If your GM spends $170M on two players I'd say that's fair game for criticism. 

Where else were they gonna spend the money? They still have a ridiculous amount of space and have the ability to sign any free agent they want quarterbacks included. 

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not a bad move by Chicago.  Their defense is awful.  Got a very good edge player for a second round pick.  Sweat seems comparable to Greg Rousseau…next year Beane will have to decide whether to offer him a deal like this.

Suggesting that Greg Rousseau is worth $25M a year is nuts

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

They might have the top two picks in the draft and instant great offense

Yep, the Bears will have two top-five picks in a loaded draft.  Will be interesting to see if they use one on a QB, but they can certainly trade one of those picks for a huge haul.  They will be in a position to rebuild very quickly if they play this right.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Where else were they gonna spend the money? They still have a ridiculous amount of space and have the ability to sign any free agent they want quarterbacks included. 

You just ignoring that they traded a second round pick for a guy they could have signed in 5 months and the #32 pick for Claypool?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mannc said:

Yep, the Bears will have two top-five picks in a loaded draft.  Will be interesting to see if they use one on a QB, but they can certainly trade one of those picks for a huge haul.  They will be in a position to rebuild very quickly if they play this right.

Cards in full tank mode now. Do they trade kyler? They’d have to pay someone to take that contract. Bears take a qb at 2 and trade down for bowers or Keon Coleman unless Harrison is there. 

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Suggesting that Greg Rousseau is worth $25M a year is nuts

What I said is that Rousseau and Sweat are comparable players, both physically and production-wise.  Rousseau is still young and developing and yes, he will probably land a big contract in a year or two…

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Cards in full tank mode now. Do they trade kyler? They’d have to pay someone to take that contract. Bears take a qb at 2 and trade down for bowers or Keon Coleman unless Harrison is there. 

Do you think there is a chance they stick with Fields and use the first of those picks on Harrison?  I think they are in a really good position, thanks to Carolina’s foolishness.

I’ve seen a ton of Washington games living in the area.  Montez is very solid.  He’s definitely been better than Chase Young.  Not sure he deserves that kind of money but he’s good. 

Edited by zow2

Just now, Process said:

You just ignoring that they traded a second round pick for a guy they could have signed in 5 months and the #32 pick for Claypool?

I was only discussing the contracts. The trades were silly and desperate moves trying to save their jobs. It was a monster risk sending a pick for him and even riskier when he said he was gonna wait to discuss a contract. I’m not so sure they would have had any shot at him in free agency though. They were not the only team that would have paid him big money imo 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

What I said is that Rousseau and Sweat are comparable players, both physically and production-wise.  Rousseau is still young and developing and yes, he will probably land a big contract in a year or two…

Do you think there is a chance they stick with Fields and use the first of those picks on Harrison?  I think they are in a really good position, thanks to Carolina’s foolishness.

zero chance they stay with fields. They’d have to give him a new contract I think after next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

zero chance they stay with fields. They’d have to give him a new contract I think after next year. 

You’re probably right, especially with a draft like this…they’ll never have a better chance to get a quarterback.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.