Dealing with losing a dog?

Simon

I'm 55 and have been a dog whisperer ever since I was a kid; I just get them for some reason.

Despite that I never actually owned one until the first time about 10 years ago when we got a Golden puppy and named her Stella.

Saturday night she unexpectedly died in my arms (burying her out at camp at midnight under a full moon on Halloween weekend was not a treat) after almost 10 years of being a constant companion, hiking partner, perfect friend, etc.

I've buried too many people over the years and have carried far more than my share of caskets but I can't recall a time when I've ever been this rattled about losing someone. Half the time I want to sit on the couch with a thousand yard stare and the other half I want to beat somebody senseless for looking at me sideways. I literally had to walk out of an auto parts store empty-handed today because I was afraid I was going to drag a guy over the counter just for trying to be too friendly.

How in the hell do y'all deal with this ****?

• Sad 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I am the same way with dogs. I feel like I just get them (better than humans sometimes. lol). Working with dogs is just something I very much enjoy. I am very big into training them and have spent years studying and learning their language (like what different gestures and behaviors, etc, mean). I can pretty easily read a dog’s body language and gestures/behaviors. It’s so much easier to train and communicate with them once you learn how they “speak”.

Anyway…

Yeah, losing a pet sucks. I’ve owned dogs my entire life and it never gets any easier to lose one. My condolences on your loss.

My best advise is get another dog as soon as you feel ready (IMO, as soon as possible). I don’t mean that to sound cold in any way. I know No new dog can ever replace the one you lost but it can sure help fill that void they left.

I lost all 3 of my dogs over a 3 year span back about 8 years ago and it was awful. After the 3rd passed away I swore I wouldn’t get another dog for a while. I made it 2 weeks and decided to just go to the SPCA just to “look”. Well, I adopted a dog and it was the best thing I did to help me heal.

Don’t look at it as “replacing” your previous dog. Like I said, no dog can do that. They all have their own unique personalities. No dog will ever be the same as the one you lost. But getting a new dog really helps fill the void. The house is just sooo empty when you’re used to having animals. Getting a new dog brings that life back to the home and gives you something new to focus on. You will still miss your old dog but it really helps getting a new pet.

Anyway, that would be my suggestion. I’d also suggest adopting from the SPCA (especially if you live in a state that kills their shelter dogs) or an online group that rescues dogs. Then you get the added reward of knowing you helped save a dog’s life.

My most recent rescue came from a kill shelter in Virginia. He was scheduled to be put down in days (before I got him). It still makes me so sad to think that anyone would even think about putting this dog down. He’s probably the smartest dog I’ve ever owned, and maybe the most trainable dog I’ve ever owned too. He was a bit high strung when I first got him but he just needed a little training and direction. He’s so eager to please but he didn’t respond well to certain training methods, and trying to yell would actually make him get More hyper (I try never to yell at my dogs anyway, it’s unnecessary IMO). He just needed to understand what was being asked of him and once I found the right method the change was drastic.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm 55 and have been a dog whisperer ever since I was a kid; I just get them for some reason.

Despite that I never actually owned one until the first time about 10 years ago when we got a Golden puppy and named her Stella.

Saturday night she unexpectedly died in my arms (burying her out at camp at midnight under a full moon on Halloween weekend was not a treat) after almost 10 years of being a constant companion, hiking partner, perfect friend, etc.

I've buried too many people over the years and have carried far more than my share of caskets but I can't recall a time when I've ever been this rattled about losing someone. Half the time I want to sit on the couch with a thousand yard stare and the other half I want to beat somebody senseless for looking at me sideways.

Think of all the good times together. 

Edited by mead107
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I can pretty easily read a dog’s body language and gestures/behaviors. It’s so much easier to train and communicate with them once you learn how they “speak”.

100% spot on.

We could read each other instantly and I could tell her what I was thinking with the twitch of a finger and she'd answer smartly every single time.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm pretty sure I'm going to be that widower that tells people he's not dating because he already has a wife.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know the pain, it is never easy, the loss of a dog is hard. Dogs are the best thing you can share your home with. Dogs don't ask for anything other than your love, in return they give unlimited love and affection. A dog will never steal your girlfriend, will never dent your car, is always happy to see you and will never talk trash about you to his friends. When we lost our last dog, we could not bring ourselves to get another for fear that it wouldn't be THAT one. Some day I will get another, but for now I enjoy the memory of that special dog  and in time you will replace the grief with the great memories you had together.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I've buried too many people over the years and have carried far more than my share of caskets but I can't recall a time when I've ever been this rattled about losing someone. Half the time I want to sit on the couch with a thousand yard stare and the other half I want to beat somebody senseless for looking at me sideways. I literally had to walk out of an auto parts store empty-handed today because I was afraid I was going to drag a guy over the counter for trying to be friendly.

It can be like no other loss. We are on my 8th Golden, so many have gone before. It was always hell. On another page of life my wife loses her father and mother with more grace than I can muster at the final events. BUT THEN, we lost our 14 year old best friend a few months ago, and I have never seen her devastated like that. 

And yes, there are tears running down my face, even now. Step back and give yourself a chance to grieve. 

• Like (+1) 2

Going through vision and neurological issues leading to intermittent mobility problems with our almost 14 year old GSP right now. Decisions may be looming before too too long and I need to give him his dignity and don’t want him in any amount of pain. 

We've had several previously and it’s always been hard. Losing the last one in 2008 was very difficult for me, a week after losing my maternal grandfather in WNY. I told myself didn’t want another and it went that way for maybe the saddest two years of my life.

I’m on the autism spectrum and don’t have many friends and my dogs have always been my companions and I’m sure that losing my current buddy is going to wreck me.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Both of our previous 2 dogs died from cancer. 

My wife found it very hard and said no more dogs but when my adult disabled daughter said she was lonely we went to pound and she fell in love with a smaller size German shepherd.  She is a pure bred and owner gave her up when she was injured requiring surgery.

It sounds like your dog had a good life.  Take joy in your memories with your friend and you will know when you are ready for another one.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Simon said:

I've buried too many people over the years and have carried far more than my share of caskets but I can't recall a time when I've ever been this rattled about losing someone. Half the time I want to sit on the couch with a thousand yard stare and the other half I want to beat somebody senseless for looking at me sideways. I literally had to walk out of an auto parts store empty-handed today because I was afraid I was going to drag a guy over the counter for trying to be friendly.

Sorry for your loss

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Going through vision and neurological issues leading to intermittent mobility problems with our almost 14 year old GSP right now. Decisions may be looming before too too long and I need to give him his dignity and don’t want him in any amount of pain. 

We've had several previously and it’s always been hard. Losing the last one in 2008 was very difficult for me, a week after losing my maternal grandfather in WNY. I told myself didn’t want another and it went that way for maybe the saddest two years of my life.

I’m on the autism spectrum and don’t have many friends and my dogs have always been my companions and I’m sure that losing my current buddy is going to wreck me.

Dude get some puppies.  German GS or Americanized?  Germans are better.

God bless ya, Mate.

My almost 13 year-old buddy is laying next to me on the couch right now and I'm absolutely dreading the day she's now longer by my side.

Dogs are the best.  They best buddies a person could ever ask for. 

They're pure love, if raised as such.

I've heard numerous friends say that the best way to get over the death of a dog, is to go right out and get yourself another one.

The new buddy will occupy your time and attention, and will hopefully ease the pain of missing Stella.

My heart goes out to you. 

RIP Stella.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

God bless ya, Mate.

My almost 13 year-old buddy is laying next to me on the couch right now and I'm absolutely dreading the day she's now longer by my side.

Dogs are the best.  They're pure love, if raised as such.

I've heard numerous friends say that the best way to get over the death of a dog, is to go right out and get yourself another one.

The new buddy will occupy your time and attention, and will hopefully ease the pain of missing Stella.

My heart goes out to you. 

RIP Stella.

does anyone else recognize their recognition of hurt,  I get a cut and they both lick it.  extraordinary.  get puppies,  train them well.   Aussie jack resell mixes.  eat vermin and would die for me.BIG energy tho

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

6 hours ago, Simon said:

100% spot on.

We could read each other instantly and I could tell her what I was thinking with the twitch of a finger and she'd answer smartly every single time.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm pretty sure I'm going to be that widower that tells people he's not dating because he already has a wife.

dogs r the best!

14 hours ago, Simon said:

I've buried too many people over the years and have carried far more than my share of caskets but I can't recall a time when I've ever been this rattled about losing someone. Half the time I want to sit on the couch with a thousand yard stare and the other half I want to beat somebody senseless for looking at me sideways. I literally had to walk out of an auto parts store empty-handed today because I was afraid I was going to drag a guy over the counter for being too friendly.

I’m so sorry. 

• Agree 1

Each person is different. I think  doing this, meaning sharing your grief and thoughts with others who 100% empathize at least tells you its normal to be rattled,  Mad, sad, all of that.

The shelters and animal rescues are all filled to the brim. And the overflow are euthanized. That too is heartbreaking.

You can find all sorts of pitties, shepherds and huskies especially in the shelters is what my GF just shared with me recently.

Whenever you are ready amigo. You are young enough to even get a puppy if you would want.

God Bless you

RIP Stella

You were LOVED.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sorry for your loss, Man.

As others have suggested, allow yourself time to grieve and, when you're ready, go to a shelter and adopt a dog. We've gotten two dogs as puppies (one was a stray that someone found on the roadside, the other a "failed foster" from a shelter) and two as adults from a shelter. (A failed foster is when you start out fostering a dog and then become attached and adopt him/her.) There are pros and cons to both, but taking a dog out of a shelter and giving them a real home will give you a warm fuzzy feeling that will help to heal the pain of losing Stella.

Edited by WhoTom

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Each person is different. I think  doing this, meaning sharing your grief and thoughts with others who 100% empathize at least tells you its normal to be rattled,  Mad, sad, all of that.

The shelters and animal rescues are all filled to the brim. And the overflow are euthanized. That too is heartbreaking.

You can find all sorts of pitties, shepherds and huskies especially in the shelters is what my GF just shared with me recently.

Whenever you are ready amigo. You are young enough to even get a puppy if you would want.

God Bless you

RIP Stella

You were LOVED.

better to have loved and lost than not to love at all...

I’m terrified of this. 
I rescued two pits who I’ve had since 2015. 

the dogs have been through hell and back with me divorce, death, job loss, moving across country. 

I can see they are getting older(9 and 10)  and slowing down 

I can’t imagine a day where I don’t pull in the driveway and I see the two heads poke out the window curtain and they do their happy dances and I come in the house.

add - sorry for your loss. It’s the hardest thing to do from all accounts. Grieve your way as much as you want. Don’t let others tell you when and how! 

as other have echoed dogs ask for very little (unless they are treat driven like mine). It’s why I think it’s the hardest thing to do. 

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I’m terrified of this. 
I rescued two pits who I’ve had since 2015. 

the dogs have been through hell and back with me divorce, death, job loss, moving across country. 

I can see they are getting older(9 and 10)  and slowing down 

I can’t imagine a day where I don’t pull in the driveway and I see the two heads poke out the window curtain and they do their happy dances and I come in the house.

add - sorry for your loss. It’s the hardest thing to do from all accounts. Grieve your way as much as you want. Don’t let others tell you when and how! 

as other have echoed dogs ask for very little (unless they are treat driven like mine). It’s why I think it’s the hardest thing to do. 

When they are gone, even just to the groomer, there is almost a palpable difference in how the house feels. Some kind of energy is missing.  When they are gone and not coming back, that loss takes on a greater intensity for a while. It is so empty and quiet.

I know people who never got another dog because it was so hard to face the loss. We take the opposite approach and look forward to adding a new member to the family after some proper time. We usually have had two at a time, and they are truly best friends. 

I won’t suggest what is best for anyone else. That is far too personal. But I will say that time helps quite a bit. It’s a bit too slow and gradual, but it happens. 

Like so many things in life, make a point of enjoying what we have in the here and now. I just took our girls into the newly upgraded backyard, where they proceeded to do their best to trash everything planted over the last two days by a large crew. The puppy can’t be trusted, but even the 3 year old gave me the finger, I think! They were running thru all these cool new plants like a drag race thru a long car wash! What a great new game! They probably couldn’t hear me yelling to stop for the sound of all the snapping plants going off in their ears.

Hey! It ain’t ALL perfect!   😂 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Simon said:

I've buried too many people over the years and have carried far more than my share of caskets but I can't recall a time when I've ever been this rattled about losing someone. Half the time I want to sit on the couch with a thousand yard stare and the other half I want to beat somebody senseless for looking at me sideways. I literally had to walk out of an auto parts store empty-handed today because I was afraid I was going to drag a guy over the counter just for trying to be too friendly.

Sorry to hear, my man. It's definitely not easy. As others have said, it just takes time. Which also kinda stinks because after a few weeks, I caught myself feeling a little better or at least not thinking about it constantly, and thought to myself "well, at least I'm starting to get over it and feel better", but then immediately thought "wait, I dont WANT to feel better about it, I want my freaking dog back!". And then put myself right back in to the funk. Which was fine because I needed more time.

So dont feel bad about feeling bad about it.

Dogs arent here for a long time, theyre here for a good time. So remember the good times. Know that you gave her a great life, and she was totally grateful. And now she can rest easy, like dogs love to do.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

We’re taking my little boy to the Rainbow Bridge this evening. Tuft’s vet ER last night said based on history, examinations that it is highly likely a brain tumor and it’s reached end stage. I’ve been a wreck.

This is a pre-publishing version of my write-up post to FB to announce it, tho I have told several close friends and fam:

Our house has lost its joyful heart and wagging tail.

This evening, a day and two months shy of 14 years old, Ruff Ruffman passed over the Rainbow Bridge to meet Sara, Mack, Sammy, his girlfriend from across the street, Elsie, and into the waiting arms of his Nana who was always generous with love, treats & cookies.

We tried a few different Rx medications as ‘throwing the gun’ in movie parlance and a trip to Tuft’s yesterday evening where they said because of the progression abdominal their examination, it’s most likely a brain tumor. He has had a rapid decline in neurological condition since my post last month and it has been painful to watch as his body betrayed him…. It’s as if the neuro symptoms stole Ruff’s black & white fur coat and were wobbling, stumbling, and falling around, pretending to be him, belied by that unique Ruff spark missing from his eyes & spirit. 

This is the decision every dog parent never wants to have to make. You worry that you’ve made the wrong choice for your best friend but you simultaneously know it was the right choice to give them dignity, peace, and relief. It is downright cruel how short their lifespan is compared to ours; if there is a God, he has a lot of explaining to do. This is going to wreck me, just as losing our previous pups did.

I was so lucky to have this little boy brought to me in spring 2010 two years after losing my grandfather and Sammy in the same week. I didn’t want another for two years after and those were the saddest and emptiest two years of my life. Speaking as someone who is autistic… the companionship that comes with having a pet is hard to overstate in its importance of social value, connection with another being in a deeper & more trusted way than with other humans, comfort, and keeping me in a routine / getting me up and going through a day.

German shorthaired pointers are a unique breed, high-strung, always need to be 1/4 mile ahead working in the field or by pulling on a leash (I tried ‘bout everything to keep him from near pulling arms out of sockets), always on the lookout for birds and posing with raised front paw and straight tail when they see anything with a heartbeat. The inquisitive head tilts, the 50-a-day full-body shake-outs, the endless running around the yard. Ruff had a rough start at 1 year of age when we were attacked and bitten by two dogs while we were walking home on a neighborhood dirt road. He was never really good / at ease with many dogs afterward and missed out on the joy of that kind of play. Losing him means another link to my mum is now gone — how he lay with her after treatments and on her last night and let out an uncharacteristic howl immediately after she passed as if he knew or saw something at another plane than we experience. We have dearly missed our ice cream walks to the corner store with my niece Madeline, who was always his favorite person and with whom he was so gentle; when going to Jerry’s house, he would always first race to her room hoping she would be there, instead of ripped away by 8 years of stall tactics by lawyers, family courts, and alienation. I will miss so many little things. I will miss making an extra egg in the morning to feed him at the table. I will miss cuddling with him on the sofa and bed; he was a first rate snuggler and on cold nights was a portable cordless heater. He was so loved and was so loving. I was so lucky to have him with me. Uncle Duff gave us a small ceramic plate that still hangs over the fireplace that reads, “Heaven is where you meet all the dogs you ever loved.” I hope so and I hope Ruff is first in that line. My beautiful boy. And not just a good boy — the best boy there is.

IMG_9028.jpeg

• Sad 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

this thread is killing me.  i have an 18 year old cat and a 13 year old yellow lab.  everyday they seem to get older, and boy is that tough.  my dog doesn't even realize when i come home, so no more running up to me to give me kisses.  they're still happy and loved, but i know what's coming very soon.  i'm maximizing my time with them now, just bought them both new beds, and an trying to soak it all in before it's too late.  i have paintings of both of my buddies hanging in my home office, so they'll always be remembered, but i had to close my office door after reading this thread.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

We’re taking my little boy to the Rainbow Bridge this evening. Tuft’s vet ER last night said based on history, examinations that it is highly likely a brain tumor and it’s reached end stage. I’ve been a wreck.

This is a pre-publishing version of my write-up post to FB to announce it, tho I have told several close friends and fam:

Our house has lost its joyful heart and wagging tail.

This evening, a day and two months shy of 14 years old, Ruff Ruffman passed over the Rainbow Bridge to meet Sara, Mack, Sammy, his girlfriend from across the street, Elsie, and into the waiting arms of his Nana who was always generous with love, treats & cookies.

We tried a few different Rx medications as ‘throwing the gun’ in movie parlance and a trip to Tuft’s yesterday evening where they said because of the progression abdominal their examination, it’s most likely a brain tumor. He has had a rapid decline in neurological condition since my post last month and it has been painful to watch as his body betrayed him…. It’s as if the neuro symptoms stole Ruff’s black & white fur coat and were wobbling, stumbling, and falling around, pretending to be him, belied by that unique Ruff spark missing from his eyes & spirit. 

This is the decision every dog parent never wants to have to make. You worry that you’ve made the wrong choice for your best friend but you simultaneously know it was the right choice to give them dignity, peace, and relief. It is downright cruel how short their lifespan is compared to ours; if there is a God, he has a lot of explaining to do. This is going to wreck me, just as losing our previous pups did.

I was so lucky to have this little boy brought to me in spring 2010 two years after losing my grandfather and Sammy in the same week. I didn’t want another for two years after and those were the saddest and emptiest two years of my life. Speaking as someone who is autistic… the companionship that comes with having a pet is hard to overstate in its importance of social value, connection with another being in a deeper & more trusted way than with other humans, comfort, and keeping me in a routine / getting me up and going through a day.

German shorthaired pointers are a unique breed, high-strung, always need to be 1/4 mile ahead working in the field or by pulling on a leash (I tried ‘bout everything to keep him from near pulling arms out of sockets), always on the lookout for birds and posing with raised front paw and straight tail when they see anything with a heartbeat. The inquisitive head tilts, the 50-a-day full-body shake-outs, the endless running around the yard. Ruff had a rough start at 1 year of age when we were attacked and bitten by two dogs while we were walking home on a neighborhood dirt road. He was never really good / at ease with many dogs afterward and missed out on the joy of that kind of play. Losing him means another link to my mum is now gone — how he lay with her after treatments and on her last night and let out an uncharacteristic howl immediately after she passed as if he knew or saw something at another plane than we experience. We have dearly missed our ice cream walks to the corner store with my niece Madeline, who was always his favorite person and with whom he was so gentle; when going to Jerry’s house, he would always first race to her room hoping she would be there, instead of ripped away by 8 years of stall tactics by lawyers, family courts, and alienation. I will miss so many little things. I will miss making an extra egg in the morning to feed him at the table. I will miss cuddling with him on the sofa and bed; he was a first rate snuggler and on cold nights was a portable cordless heater. He was so loved and was so loving. I was so lucky to have him with me. Uncle Duff gave us a small ceramic plate that still hangs over the fireplace that reads, “Heaven is where you meet all the dogs you ever loved.” I hope so and I hope Ruff is first in that line. My beautiful boy. And not just a good boy — the best boy there is.

IMG_9028.jpeg

That is one beautiful dog, and he had a great long run with you. Enjoy the wonderful memories. 

My first two dogs as a little kid were German shorthair pointers. It was too much energy for my family, but heaven is full of places for dogs to run full out to their hearts content. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:43 PM, Simon said:

I had two Dacshunds that lived to almost 15 and was heart broken over both dieing.  I haven't got a new dog since Buster the last one died, just can't deal with it again. My condolences on your loss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.