Beane reportedly looking for LB help (possible rumor)

BuffaloBillyG

On 10/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I think if there is a move made, it will be at LB.  Dorian has shown some flashes, but he isn't ready and they know he isn't.  At least at DT and CB we have guys with experience who can step in. 

So whether its true or not, this rumor to me is something that makes sense in terms of him making calls about LB's. 

I completely agree with this BUT if a new guy is brought in, ANY new guy, when will McClappy use him?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The Milano injury changed everything, but Beane went into the season dangerously short on linebacker depth, that’s on him. I agree with those who think a WR is the better route. Go all in on offense, between draft choices and trades this defense experiment has been going on for years, at some point they need to admit defeat. 

But even as great as Milano is, and he’s great and one of the best playmakers in football, OLB on paper should be one of the most easily replaceable positions on defense. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But even as great as Milano is, and he’s great and one of the best playmakers in football, OLB on paper should be one of the most easily replaceable positions on defense. 

It should be easily replaceable- but there are going to be several 3rd down in every game going forward.  I’d expect dorian or Dodson to be the opposing OCs target in most of those cases.  Maybe they’ll do well.  Maybe they’ll look like elam vs Ridley. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Airseven said:

There’s no magic cure for this roster at the deadline. Issues everywhere. Next year will be a pseudo rebuild and I’d prefer Beane not mortgage the future anymore than he already has.

Trading for guys that can help beyond this season would not be mortgaging the future. They will likely need to add a starting CB to the roster for next year. Trading for a player that you can extend is probably preferable to the draft or FA

39 minutes ago, Airseven said:

There’s no magic cure for this roster at the deadline. Issues everywhere. Next year will be a pseudo rebuild and I’d prefer Beane not mortgage the future anymore than he already has.

There are no great teams this year Imo.  If we can get Milano and daquan back for the playoffs (assuming we make the playoffs), make a trade for a solid contributor and Dorsey/Allen figure some things out, we have a fine chance.  It’s October……. People always freak out in October- for better or for worse.  Chill

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, schoolhouserock said:

Is Kirksey ready to unretire?

I have wondered if Beane has in any way reached out to Kirksey given the circumstances ? Seeing as  he was in OTA's & he has a idea of the defensive scheme & if Kirksey had any sympathy at all for the Bills i thought maybe he might un retire .

We can dream i guess ? 

53 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

After last night I’m on the “try to trade for Pat Surtain” and “find a modest upgrade for Tyrell Dodson” trains.  Dodson is brutal.  

I thought he played fine.  Rapp on the other hand... woof.  

19 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

Trading for guys that can help beyond this season would not be mortgaging the future. They will likely need to add a starting CB to the roster for next year. Trading for a player that you can extend is probably preferable to the draft or FA

I assume we'll have benford and white.  I do think its a need come draft time, but i'd like to avoid spending a 1st round pick there.  I think with our surplus of picks we can probably grab one somewhere in the draft though.  

WR2 - Davis UFA

CB3 - Jackson UFA

1T - Jones UFA, everyone else gone

3T - Phillips gone

S - Hyde gone

OT - Push Brown

DE - AJE free agent, same with Floyd

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I assume we'll have benford and white.  I do think its a need come draft time, but i'd like to avoid spending a 1st round pick there.  I think with our surplus of picks we can probably grab one somewhere in the draft though.  

WR2 - Davis UFA

CB3 - Jackson UFA

3T - Phillips gone

S - Hyde gone

OT - Push Brown

I'm not 100% that White is back. Big cap #, age, significant injuries.

And this will be 3 years now that they've played a significant portion of the season without him so you aren't really losing anything. They need to find cap space next year as is. I think he's a prime target for moving on.

Not restructuring him at any point in the past 2 years let's you know that the Bills are at least considering it as well.

Williams just doesn't look ready, and Dodson is a failed experiment that they should have given up on a season or two ago.

Bernard looks fantastic and is a big surprise, to me at least.  He's one of the last really dynamic guys we have on the field beside Hyde. 

I feel like a 1 tech DT is a bigger need but I get LB for sure.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

I'm not 100% that White is back. Big cap #, age, significant injuries.

And this will be 3 years now that they've played a significant portion of the season without him so you aren't really losing anything. They need to find cap space next year as is. I think he's a prime target for moving on.

Not restructuring him at any point in the past 2 years let's you know that the Bills are at least considering it as well.

There's 6M in cap savings which is good... 1.5M roster bonus due the 5th day of the league year.  None of his salary is guaranteed and at 8.4M isn't crazy excessive.

He was playing pretty well this year, and i know they value his leadership.  I'm less worried about an achilles injury than a knee tbh.

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

There's 6M in cap savings which is good... 1.5M roster bonus due the 5th day of the league year.  None of his salary is guaranteed and at 8.4M isn't crazy excessive.

He was playing pretty well this year, and i know they value his leadership.  I'm less worried about an achilles injury than a knee tbh.

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed cut and maybe 2025 is the more likely release but you can get a younger player and save money on the cap simply by releasing white and signing a good FA.

They are going to have to make tough decisions cap wise after this season.

26 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

WR2 - Davis UFA

CB3 - Jackson UFA

3T - Phillips gone

S - Hyde gone

OT - Push Brown

Did you see him get cooked by the back about -20-ish YL on the tunnel side?  It was ugly.  He ain’t it. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

After last night I’m on the “try to trade for Pat Surtain” and “find a modest upgrade for Tyrell Dodson” trains.  Dodson is brutal.  

Patrick Surtain II is a popular name amongst fans for a trade. But they aren't going to trade him. It's been said he's 1 of the, if not THE, core player they want to build around in a rebuild.

It makes sense. No team sells off all of their parts in a rebuild. You need a core. They spent a top 10 pick on him just 2 years ago. 

And if he were available, the cost of a 23 year old, Top 10 Pick, Cornerback, with a clean bill of health, with 2 and a half years left on a Rookie contract, and who was a 1st Team All Pro just last season - would be MASSIVE. Probably multiple 1st Round picks. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Patrick Surtain II is a popular name amongst fans for a trade. But they aren't going to trade him. It's been said he's 1 of the, if not THE, core player they want to build around in a rebuild.

It makes sense. No team sells off all of their parts in a rebuild. You need a core. They spent a top 10 pick on him just 2 years ago. 

And if he were available, the cost of a 23 year old, Top 10 Pick, Cornerback, with 2 and a half years left on a Rookie contract, who was a 1st Team All Pro just last season - would be MASSIVE. Probably multiple 1st Round picks. 

IF he were available.. I don’t know that it would be completely out of the question for this front office to put a trade offer out there. 

It would likely be the admission that Tre White’s career in Buffalo is over.  Instead of drafting a RD1 CB in the next two years (we saw how that turned out with Elam) I don’t know that it would be crazy to send this years and next years RD1 picks to them for them Surtain.  Maybe Elam is included. 

Not sure I’d love that, as it seems McDermott can find/scheme/coach up guys like Jackson and Benford, but I could see them viewing Surtain as a piece worth trading multiple 1sts for, given where we should be drafting. 

Future young core of the Defense becomes Oliver, Rousseau, Bernard, Benford and Surtain. 

Offense returns a lot next year with the only conversations really to be had about C and WR2.  Defense will likely have a good bit of retooling. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

IF he were available.. I don’t know that it would be completely out of the question for this front office to put a trade offer out there. 

It would likely be the admission that Tre White’s career in Buffalo is over.  Instead of drafting a RD1 CB in the next two years (we saw how that turned out with Elam) I don’t know that it would be crazy to send this years and next years RD1 picks to them for them Surtain.  Maybe Elam is included. 

Not sure I’d love that, as it seems McDermott can find/scheme/coach up guys like Jackson and Benford, but I could see them viewing Surtain as a piece worth trading multiple 1sts for, given where we should be drafting. 

Future young core of the Defense becomes Oliver, Rousseau, Bernard, Benford and Surtain. 

Offense returns a lot next year with the only conversations really to be had about C and WR2.  Defense will likely have a good bit of retooling. 

Just came across this article where it's said the asking price is 2 1st Round Picks PLUS a Pro Bowl Calibur Player "just to get the conversation started":

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/patrick-surtain-trade-rumor-dallas-cowboys-outrageous-asking-price-broncos-cost-deadline

As much as what you're saying makes sense that with Elam failing and Tre most likely not coming back, we'll need to address CB - that price is just WAY too much for one player. 

Especially when you consider our cap situation of 33 million over and the amount of other positions we need to upgrade and/or replace with the amount of FA's we have next season.

It's more than just C and WR2. Miller and Rousseau are the only DE's we have under contract next season. Oliver is the ONLY DT we have under contract. Cook is our only RB. Poyer (who may need to be replaced himself) and Hamlin our only Safeties. And there's still other depth players that will need to be re-signed/replaced on top of those (and that doesn't take into account upgrades as well).

Not to mention, we'd also have to replace the "Pro Bowl Calibur" player we'd need to package with the picks on top of it.

We can't afford to give up our 1st Rounder next year. Let alone also the following year AND a stud player on top of that. We just can't.

I’d prefer they try to unload some unwanted contracts if humanly possible and acquire some picks. It’s not happening for the Bills this year. Much of it due to injury, but they’ve looked like a contending type team in exactly one game this year. It’s tough to swallow, but best for the organization. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Floydboy12 said:

I’d prefer they try to unload some unwanted contracts if humanly possible and acquire some picks. It’s not happening for the Bills this year. Much of it due to injury, but they’ve looked like a contending type team in exactly one game this year. It’s tough to swallow, but best for the organization. 

Whilst I wouldn’t exactly say I’m overconfident about their Championship prospects this season .. I would expect at 5-3 that they are buyers … not sellers …

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Whilst I wouldn’t exactly say I’m overconfident about their Championship prospects this season .. I would expect at 5-3 that they are buyers … not sellers …

Oh I agree that they probably are. Just don’t think that will be for the best in the future. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Rapp is scary bad.  

Then he tries to overcompensate for being scary bad by engaging in late hits and unnecessary roughness events.

Yeah - he'd probably be alright playing... actual safety.  But when they bring him in for the dime packages i'm holding my breath.  I'd rather see Neal tbh.  

7 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

The only way you sell at the trade deadline at 5-3 is if you dont have a franchise QB.   Teams with franchise QBs are in it until they are legitimately eliminated from playoff contention.  The Bills would look like total idiots to be moving any players of substance right now.   If they want to move Kaiir Elam, be my guest, but they shouldnt be trimming salary for draft hopes.

Edited by thenorthremembers

6 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

We currently have 11 draft picks, including an extra 3, an extra 5, and 2 extra 6s.  

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The only way you sell at the trade deadline at 5-3 is if you dont have a franchise QB.   Teams with franchise QBs are in it until they are legitimately eliminated from playoff contention.  The Bills would look like total idiots to be moving any players of substance right now.   If they want to move Kaiir Elam, be my guest, but they shouldnt be trimming salary for draft hopes.

I don't see much of a point cutting elam.  No one on the PS is better, there are like no cap savings cutting or trading him, plus you then lose money replacing him.  

25 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We currently have 11 draft picks, including an extra 3, an extra 5, and 2 extra 6s.  

I don't see much of a point cutting elam.  No one on the PS is better, there are like no cap savings cutting or trading him, plus you then lose money replacing him.  

You need all the ammunition you can get to move around for players you like in draft and in season. Personally I’d at least test the waters in what I could get for players like Dawkins, Poyer, Miller etc. This is not a contending football team. It’s just not. 

53 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

You're looking at things from a Bills fan point of view of "Super Bowl Title or Bust". And while logically, there is some sense to be made that the Defensive injuries and some of our inadequacies combined don't pass the eye test for a Super Bowl champion team - that's simply not how a Front Office looks at things. Front offices don't say "well, right now this doesn't look like a team that can hoist the Lombardi, so pack it in".

The fact is we're 5-3 and still competing. Anything can happen in the NFL. Josh could get White Hot when it matters and overcome things. Players could step up and play at a level we hadn't imagined. Other teams along the way could become just as injury riddled. You never know in the NFL.

And our unwanted contracts? Why would they be wanted by other teams? Bad deals like Dawson Knox, Jordan Poyer, or Poona Ford - teams aren't going to take those unwanted contracts off of our hands and on themselves AND give us compensation for the privilege of doing so.

Kaiir Elam is the only player I could see yielding some kind of return as he was a 1st Round Pick just last year and is a bad fit in a Zone scheme Defense - but could work out in a change of scenery. 

41 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

You can't make this stuff up.

Someone actually posted this. In real life. 

Incredible.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.