Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think that may have been because the DTs are so poor and couldn’t generate any consistent interior pressure on their own. Jones crumbles when faced with good interior pressure, but at this moment the Bills don’t have any DTs capable of bringing it. Gotta blitz instead because you can’t let him just sit there. It’s not a great option, but the Bills are so talent deficient on D right now that they have to take risks.

That sums it up DM.  The D line especially in the middle was getting manhandled most of the game.  Not sure how you can construct a roster with only 2 good DT's.  Injuries happen every game at every level of football.  Phillips Settle and Ford are all lousy.  We have no young guys who are up and comers, that can back up Oliver and D Jones??!!  That is terrible roster construction.  Settle has been a huge bust like Jefferson and the other big DT we signed as a free agent a few years ago.  And Jordan Phillips is done.  Does absolutely nothing at this point.  Our LB's are small.  Bernard and Williams can move.  But neither are fierce tacklers.  And they are young.  They will get better.  But we need more physicality at the position.  The toughest tackler on the defense without Milano playing is probably Taron Johnson who is maybe 5'8.  That will not work all game, or all season.  The clock is ticking on his next injury.  A little man taking on bigger men will only last so long.  (You can be a black belt all you want, but if I bring a gun to the fight I like my chances regardless if I know martial arts or not.)

And speaking of Taron, (who I think is a hell of a football player) why is he covering Mike Geseki one on one at the end of the game?  That is a horrible matchup period.  McDermott could be fired just for allowing that. 

Some serious self evaluation needs to happen real quick for this team over the next 4 days.  Because Baker Mayfield is coming in.  And while he is nothing special.  He thinks he is.  And thinks he can beat any team on any given day.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why not? If this were a business and a manager’s team was constantly not executing their jobs, the manager would be responsible at least partially. He’s not putting his team in a position to win.

A couple better executions we win this game, sure. But the problem is we should have blown the doors off this sorry team not squeaked by. He is responsible for that lack of preparation at all levels. 

We have not been prepared to play the last 3 weeks.  It's that simple.  We sleepwalked through the first half on offense 3 weeks in a row with nothing changing.  That's on the coaching staff.  We came out against the Jets the same way to start the season.  With a player as talented as Josh Allen, everything should go through him.  He looks almost disinterested at times now.  We can barely get a play off in time without the 40 second clock running out.  We finally threw to Kincaid over 10 yards down the field today.  The kid looked good.  He is a first round pick.  It took til week 7 to throw a vertical pass to him.  They had to watch the film of him at Utah, otherwise why would they have drafted him?   What the hell is going on?  This coaching staff has sucked the life out of this team.  And combined with the injuries on defense and a tough schedule coming up, things could get ugly real quick. 

We need a huge performance against Tampa to get some confidence.  And then going into Cinci the coaches need to dial up a big time game plan, otherwise we could be embarrassed.  And if that happened, I would can McDermott after the game.    

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I personally have been done with McDermott after 13 secs.  It was unforgivable to me. I think he peaked, along with Beane.  It's time to move on while we still have Josh Allen and take a chance at winning it all.  Our current staff is not doing that

100%!

‘13 secs’ was by far, the worst HCing decision making, at the most critical time,in a game of enormous importance,in NFL history! 
Likely, all sports history!

EVER! 

That was ALL on McClapper to ensure that everything was done correctly to seal that victory! He did nothing! He should have been immediately replaced.

Instead, there was that additional Home field debacle against Cinci last year, where the Bills never showed up and had their arse kicked from the KO to the final snap!

And this year, we have the latest loser trend of finally going ahead, only to find defensive collapses on the final series against the worst teams, with the most insipid NFL offences!

I don’t know what the Pegulas are watching! This season is becoming a Titanic style disaster movie.

• Agree 1

Like others have said I also was in the fire him after 13 seconds crowd. This team has been declining since 13 seconds. They had a good regular season last year but barely beat the Dolphins in the playoffs when they had a scrub at QB. Then they got their asses kicked by the Bengals. This year the poor play is now showing up in the regular season. There is the very real possibility they don't make the playoffs this year. They are trending down not up. I don't know if the players have tuned McDermott out but there have been to many games lately where they don't look ready to play. The last 3 for sure. I appreciate McDermott for changing the culture of the organization, but it is becoming apparent that he is not the guy to get the Bills to the promised land.

15 hours ago, BillStime said:

Should have canned him after 13 seconds 

Especially after what we know transpired to cause 13 seconds

the player fights on the way home

the issue with daboll after

Makes you wonder but I think Sean is 110% to blame for it all and should have been shown the door 

he blew it

• Like (+1) 1

watching a replay of the final drive, you san say what you want about guys being hurt, but mac the turd was throwing right on time to guys streaking open all off of pre snap reads.  the opening screen play for half the friggen field had nothing to do w guys being hurt, it was an obvious d call that the pats read because we don't change jack, and unprepared players making mistakes.

when the chips are down, mcd comes up short and is an open book to well coached teams.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Especially after what we know transpired to cause 13 seconds

the player fights on the way home

the issue with daboll after

Makes you wonder but I think Sean is 110% to blame for it all and should have been shown the door 

he blew it

HE is the HC! During the TD celebrations and TV TO, it was up to McClapper to get his ST & D players ready to perform EXACTLY in the manner to

proceed forward.  In those critical, never seen before FUBARed moments  it was ENTIRELY up to him, to dictate exactly how 13 seconds and 3 plays will be defended!

He failed all 3!

• Like (+1) 1

I remember the Super Bowl days when the Bills would just will their way a win. It was never a doubt whether they would win. They just would. This team seems the opposite. Over the past couple years, it used to just be great teams we couldn’t beat. Now we can’t even beat scrub teams. Even the Giants game could’ve gone either way. Fricken Mac Jones outplayed Allen. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I remember the Super Bowl days when the Bills would just will their way a win. It was never a doubt whether they would win. They just would. This team seems the opposite. Over the past couple years, it used to just be great teams we couldn’t beat. Now we can’t even beat scrub teams. Even the Giants game could’ve gone either way. Fricken Mac Jones outplayed Allen. 

1-3 in one score games. Bills either win big or they choke with exception of the Giants game.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Beast said:

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

Just like the last drive last week.

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Sean McDermott cost the Buffalo Bills a win today by sheer stupidity.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

That wasn’t stupid IMO. The front 4 were not getting pressure and even blitzing Jones still had a ton of time. I think he was sacked once and knocked down 4 other times and that’s it??  Your coach was trying to get to Jones so he would do Jones like things and throw a pic or some other stupid mistake. The problem is the Bills D just never could get pressure. 

22 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

HE is the HC! During the TD celebrations and TV TO, it was up to McClapper to get his ST & D players ready to perform EXACTLY in the manner to

proceed forward.  In those critical, never seen before FUBARed moments  it was ENTIRELY up to him, to dictate exactly how 13 seconds and 3 plays will be defended!

He failed all 3!

Don't forget they used two time outs too in order to ensure the right defense and terrible each time.

Yesterday Allen had 12 seconds too.  Unfortunately Diggs dropped a pass that at least would have allowed a hail mary.

10 hours ago, Billever76 said:

A relatively easy schedule and a defense who were loaded with talent.....we didn't deserve playoffs and our wc game proved that

Which defense was loaded with talent? The 2017 defense? You must be joking. 

Jerry Hughes - Adolphus Washington - Kyle Williams - Shaq Lawson

Ramon Humber - Preston Brown - Lorenzo Alexander

EJ Gaines - Jordan Poyer - Micah Hyde - Tre White

Kyle and Lorenzo were great leaders and grizzly vets but they weren't supper talents by that stage. The three best players on the defense were the 3 guys in the secondary were the three McDermott had added. It wasn't a terrible defensive roster by any means but "loaded with talent" is definitely an exaggeration. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That wasn’t stupid IMO. The front 4 were not getting pressure and even blitzing Jones still had a ton of time. I think he was sacked once and knocked down 4 other times and that’s it??  Your coach was trying to get to Jones so he would do Jones like things and throw a pic or some other stupid mistake. The problem is the Bills D just never could get pressure. 

Bills had free rushers plenty.  A good example was on that last drive when Epenesa came screaming off the edge ready for a strip sack to end it.  What happened?  Mac hit is back foot and the ball came out on time (wow, yes, on schedule throws are actually allowed?!?!).  If that was Josh he would have looked for the first reason to escape the pocket, twirled around, and searched for a wide open stationary target to throw a laser to.

The better QB, today, won the game.  Yet here we are constantly looking for every other excuse in the world when the answer is starring us straight in the face.  We have an elite so-called MVP level QB that plays like poop an alarming amount of the time.  If he can't win with his mind and excel in this traditional QB style they have been trying then they might as well unleash him and live with the consequences.  Because he only seems to be truly special off script or when running.  With teams playing this two deep stuff, forcing patience- and his reluctance to use his legs- nothing within the structure of the offense looks special.

Blaming our MASH unit of a D is nonsense.  our fully intact "elite" offense is supposed to carry the day. 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Nah they blitzed way too often. The New England plan was ball out quick. When the plan is ball out quick the way to generate sacks and pressures isn't to send more guys who won't get there in time it is to confuse the QB with coverage looks, take away his first read and make him hold the ball. It was the way the Bills shut down Miami after trying to blitz more early. The Bills were definitely missing guys up front, but I didn't like McDermott's gameplan. 1. Blitzing a QB who is getting it out in 2 seconds is never that smart anyway and 2. We are not a good blitzing defense as a rule. It isn't our strength. We are a good coverage defense who mix up and disguise coverages well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Bills had free rushers plenty.  A good example was on that last drive when Epenesa came screaming off the edge ready for a strip sack to end it.  What happened?  Mac hit is back foot and the ball came out on time (wow, yes, on schedule throws are actually allowed?!?!).  If that was Josh he would have looked for the first reason to escape the pocket, twirled around, and searched for a wide open stationary target to throw a laser to.

The better QB, today, won the game.  Yet here we are constantly looking for every other excuse in the world when the answer is starring us straight in the face.  We have an elite so-called MVP level QB that plays like poop an alarming amount of the time.  If he can't win with his mind and excel in this traditional QB style they have been trying then they might as well unleash him and live with the consequences.  Because he only seems to be truly special off script or when running.  With teams playing this two deep stuff, forcing patience- and his reluctance to use his legs- nothing within the structure of the offense looks special.

Blaming our MASH unit of a D is nonsense.  our fully intact "elite" offense is supposed to carry the day. 

Outside of Diggs who else does anyone else worry about in the Bills O? Kincaid? Most of his YAC came on bad missed tackles, most teams won’t be afraid of him (yet). 

Mind you Allan missed a wide open Diggs twice. One where he just blew by both defenders and he was going to the house if Allen hits him in stride.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Outside of Diggs who else does anyone else worry about in the Bills O? Kincaid? Most of his YAC came on bad missed tackles, most teams won’t be afraid of him (yet). 

Mind you Allan missed a wide open Diggs twice. One where he just blew by both defenders and he was going to the house if Allen hits him in stride.

Outside of Kelce who does any one worry about?  Brady made it work with Gronk and cast offs for years.  It's a tired excuse.  You pay an elite QB to elevate those around them.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Sadly I agree with most of this post. I don't completely absolve the D of blame. McDermott's plan was wrong and the expensive depth that Beane has invested cap $$s in at DT utterly sucked and left our linebackers totally at the Patriots' mercy (their guards were getting untouched to the second level all freaking day). 

But.... you are right. The offense sucked for 3 Quarters again (Cook and Kincaid apart) and our Quarterback did not play well. The offensive line struggled for the 2nd time in 3 games. At the moment Josh is really struggling pre-snap. The number of plays he is running into bad looks is alarming. That is without some questionable throws. They are almost secondary to me at the moment. The thing that is concerning me the most is his lack of control at the line. He does not look in command of this offense. He looks like a passenger in it. I don't understand where 2020 king of all he surveyed Josh Allen has gone? He looked that year like he knew what the defense was trying to do to him every snap. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Outside of Kelce who does any one worry about?  Brady made it work with Gronk and cast offs for years.  It's a tired excuse.  You pay an elite QB to elevate those around them.

Brady is the GOAT, and Mahomes IS the best QB in the NFL and they have some young WR that are coming on, and FYI they won when Kelce was out as well for a week. 

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

He failed all 3!

Gave him another hear

13-3 in regular season but that stinker against the bengals at home YOU DONT BOTHER SHOWING UP FOR!!!!

I’m done and this season solidifies my decision to be done 

It’s only a matter of time now

maybe a couple mediocre seasons then they will move on

took a billboard to fire jauron remember 

What bugs me most about McD as a coach is the number of times we have looked really unprepared and unmotivated for some games during his tenure. It is also maddening that this flaw is also inconsistent across a season. McD has had some great games where the team seems fired up and has a great game plan (Like the KC game last year and in 2021, Also Dallas on Thanksgiving) then he just comes up with an absolute stinker soon after.  The Miami game is a perfect example of this inconsistency. Great game plan. But it has been sandwiched by a terrible Jets, Jags, Giants and Pats games where the team has looked unprepared and unmotivated. This has been ongoing since the Dolphins game in the playoffs and the trend of bad games has overwhelmed the good ones. 

The Coaches of this team need to put the players in the best positions for success and insure their mindset is ready pregame. That has really fallen off this year.

He has done what he is capable of doing with this team. The team has regressed the past 2 years. I believe it is time for a new voice, an offensive mind that will get Josh back on the right track. If I was GM, Jim Harabaugh would be at the top of my list. He knows how to build a championship team. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:25 PM, jamusjb said:

He has done what he is capable of doing with this team. The team has regressed the past 2 years. I believe it is time for a new voice, an offensive mind that will get Josh back on the right track. If I was GM, Jim Harabaugh would be at the top of my list. He knows how to build a championship team. 

Agree about McDermott.  Good man, good organization builder, but feels like it’s run it’s course.  I’d actually do everything possible to get Vrabel.  Seems like similar to Mcdermott his time is up there.  His teams are always tough, he’s won, and he’s never had a QB nearly as good as Josh.  I think he’d be a great fit for Josh and Buffalo.  

On 10/22/2023 at 2:26 PM, damj said:

Listened to his post game presser ... he has no answers

He's never had any answers.  He cleverly deflects answers into rhetoric.  I knew we were in trouble from a game manager perspective way back blowing that 16-0 lead in Houston.  13s just validated how stupid & clueless he is during games.  I tip my hat to him for how he administers a team.  He's a great HR director,  just a terrible manager.  We're not winning a SB on his watch.  And I'd fire him alone for almost 6 years of OL neglect. And yes even with Torrence, this years OL is still weak.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's never had any answers.  He cleverly deflects answers into rhetoric.  I knew we were in trouble from a game manager perspective way back blowing that 16-0 lead in Houston.  13s just validated how stupid & clueless he is during games.  I tip my hat to him for how he administers a team.  He's a great HR director,  just a terrible manager.  We're not winning a SB on his watch.  And I'd fire him alone for almost 6 years of OL neglect. And yes even with Torrence, this years OL is still weak.

13 seconds was the moment for me with McDermott. Even today I still cannot believe they couldn't defend a 3-point lead with just 13 seconds left and the Chiefs starting at their 25. That is a fire able offense. It should have been.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, SWATeam said:

It's a misnomer that Brady had nobody.   There were a couple years sure but mostly he had weapons and almost always a great o line.  He had Moss, Welker, Edelman, Branch, Brown.  Allen never had anything other than average line and one good weapon.

On 10/22/2023 at 4:49 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's a very astute post.  We don't have one above average O lineman on the roster.  They were awful today for the most part in pass protection..  Our OT's are terrible relative to other teams w good QB's  Dawkins at best is average.  And Brown is bad most games.  Knox would not be a starter on almost every NFL team.  He is a back up.  

And the D line was lousy today also.  Settle Phillips and Ford should not be on an NFL roster at this point.  They were steamrolled in the middle today.  Guys like Phillips and Lawson are not the guys you want playing if you are thinking a deep playoff run.  Good guys.  Marginal NFL talent at this point in their careers.  

The talent level on the team is just not that great.  And losing Tre Milano D Jones and Oliver is brutal.  As they are 4 of the most talented players we have.  

I agree 90% of the way.  Knox is a starter for a lot of teams, TE is almost as void of talent as QB around the league.  His numbers are basically smack dab average and he’s an exceptional athlete.  He would start on a good number of teams.  Now that contract?  My Gawd.

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I agree 90% of the way.  Knox is a starter for a lot of teams, TE is almost as void of talent as QB around the league.  His numbers are basically smack dab average and he’s an exceptional athlete.  He would start on a good number of teams.  Now that contract?  My Gawd.

PFF Has him ranked like 56th out of 75 TE...

A starter as a TE2 maybe? lol

Good news is Kincaid is like 31 ranked which is great for the young kid. Knox a bum move on get kincaid more touches.

Edited by BillsFan692

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Which teams lol

36 minutes ago, Gregg said:

13 seconds was the moment for me with McDermott. Even today I still cannot believe they couldn't defend a 3-point lead with just 13 seconds left and the Chiefs starting at their 25. That is a fire able offense. It should have been.

I've said for years it shouldn't even have come down to our soft zone stopping that 3some for 2 plays.  He should've walked on to that field with his ST and tell them exactly what to do (short pooch).  That was my moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dubie54 said:

Bill O'Brien schooled MCD last week, plain and simple. MCD played right into their hands and we let the Pats walk all over us in the 4th. 

Every OC is a genius when they can run the ball and have time to throw.  We had 5 pressures and 1 sack in the game.  NE had 14 pressures and 1 sack.  We were under pressure for 31%, they were under pressure for 15.6%.  They didn't drop any passes.  Mac had 100 air yards across 30 attempts.  

When we blitzed, he hit the hot receiver.  When we didn't blitz, he'd just stand there on the spot, or step up into the pocket - and throw short in windows.  

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It's a misnomer that Brady had nobody.   There were a couple years sure but mostly he had weapons and almost always a great o line.  He had Moss, Welker, Edelman, Branch, Brown.  Allen never had anything other than average line and one good weapon.

I disagree.  Moss is the one blue chipper from that list and funny enough he never won a title.  The others were elevated by Brady.  How was Welker’s career looking before joining the pats?

On 10/23/2023 at 2:48 AM, SWATeam said:

That's not the whole story tho

Epenesa gets rerouted enough because the Pats oline is fundamentally sound and is winning everywhere else

Brown stays home and gets a piece of Epenesa, Jones has a very comfortable pocket to throw from

77 and 69 easily handle Poyer/Hyde/Epenesa and Stevenson is there for cleanup

snap

Tahqim.jpg

pocket

ZdG7Pl.jpg

throw

ie3FPc.jpg

That's a comfortable pocket compared to Allen to Diggs TD when they bring 8 and 2 (#23 and 5) are untouched, still gets the throw off in time to Diggs

top of drop

mwi0h9.jpg

throw

GJIfbY.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.