Are people really that unhappy with our 4-2 Bills?

eball

33 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would not call it Super Bowl or bust. But at this point we are past just competing for a playoff spot and possibly losing the division to MIA. 

That statement does not make walking around sense. You have no idea what the lay of the land will be in January.  Your statement assumes the Bills will be 10-7 and eliminated in round 1 of the playoffs.  But that is just your supposition, nothing more.  And asking people if they are happy with your pessimistic supposition is just dumb.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

That statement does not make walking around sense. You have no idea what the lay of the land will be in January.  Your statement assumes the Bills will be 10-7 and eliminated in round 1 of the playoffs.  But that is just your supposition, nothing more.  And asking people if they are happy with your pessimistic supposition is just dumb.

No I am addressing the premise that 4-2 is not good enough and the general discussion that just winning more than we lose is good enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You seem to be focused on the negative.  That Josh will fall off.  That we won’t replace guys.  But look at things objectively.  We have guys like Bernard on D; everyone thought he was a bust but look at him.  Williams looks like another.  Once Kincaid gets going another.  Torrence.  Cook.  Bates will step in for Morse.  And so on.

I am focused on the what we know vs the what we dont know. Obviously we all want and hope that the Bills can be in the perennial discussion of super bowl hopefuls. But that is not a given. Hence, you have a team on the verge of a super caliber roster you cant afford to wait we have plenty of time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uninja said:

We, as a fanbase, have turned into the Manning era Colts. Good enough to get to the dance but always a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Beats being *****/average, but I’d sure as hell love for this team and Allen to win a ring. 

The Colts won the Super Bowl in 2007. The Bills haven't even gotten to one yet with Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Playoff spots are not decided in October.  There are 11 more games.  Guess what?  They will be fighting for a spot all year long, as is every other team.  None are wrapped up, every team has had stumbles and will continue to do so.  If your expectation is that your team is going to play dominant football each and every week and that will then portend a championship, I think perhaps it your expectations that need adjusting.  It is a grind, for everyone, and a great deal of both positive and negative situations will happen to each team between now and then. Their track is just fine.

Then lets just shut down these boards until January. Come on folks. It does not take a genius to see see and acknowledge at 4-2 the Bills have underperformed. That does not mean it wont change. Its just where they are right now. Going back to why at 4-2 many people are negative. Because they are not where they should be and even the coaches see it. They have plenty of time between now and January to do just that. 

Why is it so easy for people to say the 5-1 MIA Dolphins are not that good. They have beat no one and the defense sucks. The 5-1 KC Chiefs do not look Super Bowl caliber. They have no WR's and Mahomes looks like trash. But being disappointed in a 4-2 Bills team that has lost to NYJ (Zach Wilson), Jax, and nearly lost to a Tyrod Taylor led Giant team, makes you clueless and or a bad fan for some reason. I bet a lot of Chiefs fans think they should be playing better and they should. We are in the same boat, which is a good thing not a bad one. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think what has happened to the fanbase, and it does sadden me, is they have stopped living in the moment. We are in week 7 and all they can think about is January. 

It never used to be this way. When we were scrapping to be .500, to have a playoff shot in the final couple of weeks, we used to live in the moment game to game. 

I get it people are desperate for a Lombardi and there have been heartbreaking losses and we have Josh Allen... but sport is supposed to be fun. You can't fixate on the destination. It will rip the fun out of it for you. 

The fun bit isn't the destination. It's the climb. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I am focused on the what we know vs the what we dont know. Obviously we all want and hope that the Bills can be in the perennial discussion of super bowl hopefuls. But that is not a given. Hence, you have a team on the verge of a super caliber roster you cant afford to wait we have plenty of time. 

We had it in the 13 second year.  We should have tackled all their receivers at the line if needed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Then lets just shut down these boards until January. Come on folks. It does not take a genius to see see and acknowledge at 4-2 the Bills have underperformed. That does not mean it wont change. Its just where they are right now. Going back to why at 4-2 many people are negative. Because they are not where they should be and even the coaches see it. They have plenty of time between now and January to do just that. 

Why is it so easy for people to say the 5-1 MIA Dolphins are not that good. They have beat no one and the defense sucks. The 5-1 KC Chiefs do not look Super Bowl caliber. They have no WR's and Mahomes looks like trash. But being disappointed in a 4-2 Bills team that has lost to NYJ (Zach Wilson), Jax, and nearly lost to a Tyrod Taylor led Giant team, makes you clueless and or a bad fan for some reason. I bet a lot of Chiefs fans think they should be playing better and they should. We are in the same boat, which is a good thing not a bad one. 

We should be 5-1.  We didn’t have it in London, that was a legit loss.  But Josh losing his mind in the second half against the Jets caused that, and luckily should be an isolated event.

26 minutes ago, uninja said:

We, as a fanbase, have turned into the Manning era Colts. Good enough to get to the dance but always a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Beats being *****/average, but I’d sure as hell love for this team and Allen to win a ring. 

Well put. It is tough to because odds are they will eventually break through but you've basically had three years of missed opportunities which long term you look at and just go dang we could've had another shot. On the flipside historically it is really difficult to get back and the Bengals with Burrow you wonder how many chances they even get. The last QB who lost his first SB and then won down the road was Elway. If you win you can get some more cracks as Peyton, Eli, Big Ben, Mahomes etc.. have showed over the last two decades, but history is not kind to those who lose the first time in. 

On a complete side note if I was a Packer fan I'd be having some huge issues knowing Rodgers only got one ring and they had that many shots they missed after. To this day if you told me back in 2010 after he won that he never would make it back with GB I wouldn't have believed you. Sports are really weird.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo ill said:

The lifeless blowout loss to the Bengals in Buffalo broke me.  I don't have to explain the number of gut punches a Bills fan since the late 80s has taken. You all know the moments. Last season's finale was the tipping point for me.

Anymore I feel like the Bills are a mostly entertaining tv series that will have a bad ending, leaving the fans disappointed overall.  The Bills are my new Game of Thrones.

^^^^^  I'm in this camp!

As for folks complaining about the overreactions and sky is falling banter, I say let it go. Let people speak their minds. It can be emotional being a fan. I'd rather read folks be themselves then tempered dialogue all the time. It can be entertaining at times. 

Edited by Fleezoid

The game in London was not exactly 100% on the team. The Giants game, I had a gut feeling that it would be a hangover from the London game. Travelling to London and preparing for games has to be a nightmare. Curious to see them now that the London game and its remnants are completely behind them. This week should provide a better gage on if that was it or if it is something more to it.  

I think before injuries we showed that this might be the most complete team we have had this era. 

But I find myself having very similar frustrations with this offense  and its consistency that I did a few years ago. But I’m also always impressed by it. 

It’s a weird spot. 

I do think it’s ok to stumble for a bit, and this team has a better ability to be balanced than anything we’ve seen under McBeane. If we can steady ourselves, get healthy and locked in, this could be the best Bills team we’ve seen. 

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think what has happened to the fanbase, and it does sadden me, is they have stopped living in the moment. We are in week 7 and all they can think about is January. 

It never used to be this way. When we were scrapping to be .500, to have a playoff shot in the final couple of weeks, we used to live in the moment game to game. 

I get it people are desperate for a Lombardi and there have been heartbreaking losses and we have Josh Allen... but sport is supposed to be fun. You can't fixate on the destination. It will rip the fun out of it for you. 

^ listen to this guy.

enjoy having a good team, and quit being whiny

Let's break down the 4-2 for a minute: One very high quality win (Miami); two solid wins (Washington, Vegas); one strange/ugly win (NYG); one "bad" loss (NYJ); and one understandable loss, perhaps, with lots of injuries (J-ville in England).  Objectively, that looks reasonably good overall but with a lot of inconsistency.  Makes you start to wonder things like "which team will show up this week?"; "are we doomed because of injuries?"; "what's the identity of the offense?".  I personally remain cautiously optimistic and am trying to enjoy the ride . . . Go Bills!!

Edited by TheWei44

4 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Let's break down the 4-2 for a minute: One very high quality win (Miami); two solid wins (Washington, Vegas); one strange/ugly win (NYG); one "bad" loss (NYJ); and one understandable loss, perhaps, with lots of injuries (J-ville in England).  Objectively, that looks reasonably good overall but with a lot of inconsistency.  Makes you start to wonder things like "which team will show up this week?"; "are we doomed because of injuries?"; "what's the identity of the offense?".  I personally remain cautiously optimistic and am trying to enjoy the ride . . . Go Bills!!

You mean they are like every other team in the NFL where they don't always play the same every week and aren't robots?

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Really great post! Grand slam here!!!!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Very true but that's a bit disingenuous at the same time Gunner. I'll elaborate as to why.

You are absolutely spot on about the past and the fans perspective. It absolutely happens when you are not a good team, mediocre team, or a fringe playoff team. There is really no need to think further. The goal of winning playoff games and a SB are not realistic. Pretty easy to comprehend.

However, when a team lands a franchise QB fans know that's the crucial element to winning. The Bills landed that QB six years ago. He has developed into one of the best QBs for 3 years now. The organization has had plenty of time to improve their team. Improve it enough to represent the AFC, make  super bowl appearances, and win it all. The goalposts have moved as they should. It's not a bad thing. 

The fans still know the importance of the grind from game to game. I don't think that's under estimated. At the same time, the fans think bigger and expect bigger. Both can happen at the same time. IMHO, both do happen at the same time. The climb and fun is still present. Destination has entered into the picture because the Bills are knocking on the door of greatness not mediocrity. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Very true but that's a bit disingenuous at the same time Gunner. I'll elaborate as to why.

You are absolutely spot on about the past and the fans perspective. It absolutely happens when you are not a good team, mediocre team, or a fringe playoff team. There is really no need to think further. The goal of winning playoff games and a SB are not realistic. Pretty easy to comprehend.

However, when a team lands a franchise QB fans know that's the crucial element to winning. The Bills landed that QB six years ago. He has developed into one of the best QBs for 3 years now. The organization has had plenty of time to improve their team. Improve it enough to represent the AFC, make  super bowl appearances, and win it all. The goalposts have moved as they should. It's not a bad thing. 

The fans still know the importance of the grind from game to game. I don't think that's under estimated. At the same time, the fans think bigger and expect bigger. Both can happen at the same time. IMHO, both do happen at the same time. The climb is still present and fun is still present; but the destination has entered the picture because the Bills are knocking on the door if greatness not mediocrity. 

I don't think it is disingenuous at all. I think it is about a mindset. There is barely a post on this board about the Patriots game on Sunday. But there is a post about firing the coach if he doesn't make the AFCCG. A game that is FOURTEEN weeks away. If people want to be that way that is up them but I promise you it will suck your enjoyment out of sport. I lived that life for 4 years with my other sporting love in the 00s. Then we went through a barren period we have just come out the other side of and I am experiencing this era of being a contender totally differently. I am loving every moment of it and just enjoying the journey. We should have won the Premier League last season, we didn't. Oh well. Life goes on. There is always another season with its own twists and turns to enjoy. 

I think is is partly age as well. I have a pretty full on, intense, stressful worklife that I didn't have when I was a uni student 20 years ago. I could afford to expend stress on football (the round balled sort) seasons. I can't now. sport has to be my escape, it has to be my relaxation. I have zero influence over the outcome and so I just enjoy the journey. It's the climb. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

And the debate about what is wrong with the team NOW as we stand here in the present day I have absolutely no issue with. That is what you do as fans. It is the extrapolating out to doom in 11 or 14 weeks time. That is the big I don't get and honestly, isn't healthy. By all means let's talk about what is wrong with the offense, whether the defense can overcome the injuries, whether the playcalling and coaching decisions against the Giants were good enough. Absolutely let's talk about that. That is there here and now. I am absolutely NOT saying "let's only be positive" I hate that type of approach. It is toxic positivity. But I'm just saying the people whose heads are already in January are going about it the wrong way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is disingenuous at all. I think it is about a mindset. There is barely a post on this board about the Patriots game on Sunday. But there is a post about firing the coach if he doesn't make the AFCCG. A game that is FOURTEEN weeks away. If people want to be that way that is up them but I promise you it will suck your enjoyment out of sport. I lived that life for 4 years with my other sporting love in the 00s. Then we went through a barren period we have just come out the other side of and I am experiencing this era of being a contender totally differently. I am loving every moment of it and just enjoying the journey. We should have won the Premier League last season, we didn't. Oh well. Life goes on. There is always another season with its own twists and turns to enjoy. 

I think is is partly age as well. I have a pretty full on, intense, stressful worklife that I didn't have when I was a uni student 20 years ago. I could afford to expend stress on football (the round balled sort) seasons. I can't now. sport has to be my escape, it has to be my relaxation. I have zero influence over the outcome and so I just enjoy the journey. It's the climb. 

People are looking ahead to January because in North American professional sports, the regular seasons are really insignificant preambles to the real show. In every other part of the world, "winning the league" by being the best regular season team is considered the championship. Here, getting the one seed just makes the path to the singular accomplishment available a tiny bit easier.

• Agree 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

People are looking ahead to January because in North American professional sports, the regular seasons are really insignificant preambles to the real show. In every other part of the world, "winning the league" by being the best regular season team is considered the championship. Here, getting the one seed just makes the path to the singular accomplishment available a tiny bit easier.

I understand that difference but I still say it is an unhealthy way to look at it. It's always the journey and not the destination. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nice response. I'd like to think most reasonable fans can climb the game to game grind with the thought of the end goal still in mind. 

If you can't balance the two surely the fun of the game can go by the waste side. Especially , if your constantly focused on the end goal. It's pretty foolish to do that because you can't win it all after 5 or 6 games into a football season. 

Edited by newcam2012

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Easy

Dolphins best offense in the league- top 3 games scoring on average 49.33 points, bottom 3 averaging 25 points for a difference of 24.33points

Bills top 3 scoring games avg 41 points, bottom 3 average 16.66 for a difference of 24.34 points

The measure of difference in consistency as expressed in points between the Bills and the best offense in the league is .01 

36, 24, 70, 20, 31, 42.

Where's the gap?  I think you misunderstood the assignment.  Try again.

5 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Looks like a team that def won’t get past the Bengals or Chiefs unless something changes 

They caught a break to beat the trash ass Giants.  

No expectations 

I mean - both of those teams have struggled a bit, too.

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Looks like a team that def won’t get past the Bengals or Chiefs unless something changes 

They caught a break to beat the trash ass Giants.  

No expectations 

The “resurgent Bengals” scored 17 points on Sunday, and only three after the 12:20 mark in the second quarter. The Carolina Panthers scored 27 on that same Seahawks defense. 

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

The “resurgent Bengals” scored 17 points on Sunday, and only three after the 12:20 mark in the second quarter. The Carolina Panthers scored 27 on that same Seahawks defense. 

Doesn’t  matter.   They will still pants Mcclappy again 

He ain’t good enough 

4 hours ago, eball said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad.  The Bills are #3 in scoring offense and scoring defense, +4 in takeaways, and are right in the position most expected them to be when the season began.

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

Lately, the issue is with <yawn> Dorsey again...bad gameplan, can't get the ball to anyone other than Diggs, yada, yada, yada.  What I saw Sunday night was a slow start on offense fueled by an untimely fumble, a drop, and a fantastic tip/interception by the Giants on a pass headed to Knox for a big gainer.  When the team returned from halftime they marched down the field twice for TDs and were a fingertip catch away from icing the game.

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 18 -- two weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

Maybe a lot of you really have nothing else to do but sit around and dream up wild conspiracy theories about how Josh could force his way out of Buffalo, psychoanalyze whether Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott have a blood feud, or criticize the Bills for using Diggs as their first option in the passing game.

They lost two games by a total of 11 points!

The ONLY thing that matters is that the Bills grind out wins so they put themselves into decent playoff position, and that they are playing their best football in DECEMBER.

"But it's a fan message board.  That's what we do."

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

This is a good thread/post that maybe needed to be pointed out to some fans imo....

I just wanted to mention that those who feel disappointed makes me assume their reasoning (for most ppl I'd guess) is the way the Giants game went. I feel like most understood with the Jags and London travel etc.

But then with Giants many that didn't bother considering the reality of that game not seeing whole picture for some reason only expected a blow out against Gaints. 

Listen I had so many that said to me, "Yall should easily drop 40 on em"....and I disagreed. I fully expected and knew Daboll would have his guys ready for this game. I knew it was more personal for him and it mattered more than any game since he became HC, 

So don't get how anyone wouldn't expect his players were going to be ready to bring it and fight for him. 

Edited by Patrick Duffy

Unhappy? No.  Concerned? Yes.  

We've had 2 horrible games on offensive and one mediocre game this season out of 6 games

Include the final playoff game vs Cinci and we've had 3 horrible performances on offense in the last 7.   Sure you can go back to all of last year and say things are fine, but I'm worried about this team right now.  We'll still make the playoffs, and anything can happen in the playoffs... if we're healthy and hitting our stride in December, but right now it's October and the Bills aren't firing on all cylinders. 

10 minutes ago, The Red King said:

36, 24, 70, 20, 31, 42

So...where's the gap in the middle?  20, 24, 31, 36, 70.  I don't see it.

Try again.

36, 24, 70, 20, 31, 42

So...where's the gap in the middle?  20, 24, 31, 36, 70.  I don't see it.

Try again.

Asked and answered 

Not my problem that there's some inconsequential median you find significant 

Wait, I remember this thread from last year!

People were concerned about the Bills after the Green Bay game.  Other people pointed at the record and said people were foolish to complain, that the Bills were fine.

Then the Bills squeeked past Miami at home against their waterboy at QB and got smoked at home by the Bengals.

Almost...like they people who were worried had a reason.  Crazy, I know!

But sure, tell me it's insanity to worry about any aspect of this obvious Super Bowl juggernaut.

• Agree 1

It's better to start off lackluster, and finish strong. We kind of did the opposite last year. We did it the more proper way the year before, but just blew it at the end of the KC game.  Still, we were firing on all cylinders in the playoffs that year.

I remember when the Pats used to start slow.  Most of the nation would overreact..."is this the end of the dynasty?"  Then, they kick it in during November and tear through the league until the AFCCG, and often the SB.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Asked and answered 

Not my problem that there's some inconsequential median you find significant 

I ask for an example with a gap.  You did not, and cannot provide one.  Thank you for proving me right.  Don't worry, you'll get 'em next time for sure.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad.  The Bills are #3 in scoring offense and scoring defense, +4 in takeaways, and are right in the position most expected them to be when the season began.

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

Lately, the issue is with <yawn> Dorsey again...bad gameplan, can't get the ball to anyone other than Diggs, yada, yada, yada.  What I saw Sunday night was a slow start on offense fueled by an untimely fumble, a drop, and a fantastic tip/interception by the Giants on a pass headed to Knox for a big gainer.  When the team returned from halftime they marched down the field twice for TDs and were a fingertip catch away from icing the game.

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 18 -- two weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

Maybe a lot of you really have nothing else to do but sit around and dream up wild conspiracy theories about how Josh could force his way out of Buffalo, psychoanalyze whether Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott have a blood feud, or criticize the Bills for using Diggs as their first option in the passing game.

They lost two games by a total of 11 points!

The ONLY thing that matters is that the Bills grind out wins so they put themselves into decent playoff position, and that they are playing their best football in DECEMBER.

"But it's a fan message board.  That's what we do."

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

I mean lets be honest...we should be on a 2 game losing streak and sitting at 3-3.  We didn't beat the lowly Giants, they gave that game away twice at half time and end of game.  

So yes, we are 4-2 and that matters more, but losing to the Jags the way we did and then "surviving" to barely beat the worst offense in the NFL doesn't instill a lot of confidence when we face a real tough stretch of games starting week 9 with Cincy.  

In our last 9 games we face:  Bengals, Jets, Philly, KC, Dallas, Chargers, Miami - that is 7 tough games out of the 9 (other two are Denver and NE).  We could lose any of those games, and the way we played the last 2 weeks offensively where we had 7 points midway through the 4th quarter in both games, we will lose all of those games if our offense plays like that against those teams. 

And lets not forget we just lost Tre, Milano, and Jones for the season and the only test so far of life after them was against the NFL's worst offense and even though the final score looks good, the defense allowed them to drive to the 1 yard line both end of half and end of game where the Giants really are the true culprit for those defensive "stands".  I mean if not for mistake on the play call for Giants end of half, they win that game.  

So sure, easy to say we are 4-2...but to win this division, over the final 10 games we must win as many as Miami (or more).  If we lose even 1 more game than them, we will not be able to win the division come week 17 when we face them in the final game of the season.  And we won't keep pace with Miami scoring a total of 7 points midway through the 4th quarter of games.  

Im not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but right now, this team looks more like a pretender than a contender the last 2 weeks.  Dorsey needs to get his head out of his a** and fix this offense asap or we certainly won't win the division, and may struggle to make the playoffs if this offense keeps sputtering when we face off with those 7 tough games starting week 9.

57 minutes ago, Success said:

It's better to start off lackluster, and finish strong. We kind of did the opposite last year. We did it the more proper way the year before, but just blew it at the end of the KC game.  Still, we were firing on all cylinders in the playoffs that year.

I remember when the Pats used to start slow.  Most of the nation would overreact..."is this the end of the dynasty?"  Then, they kick it in during November and tear through the league until the AFCCG, and often the SB.

Except we have never kicked it in and tore through the league through the AFCCG or seen a SB.  That is the problem.  There is no history to bank on thats positive.  NE had the benefit of the doubt...all we do is prove we fade and fold in the playoffs.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.