What kind of football background do you have?

BringBackFergy

What kind of football experience forms the basis of your opinions on TBD?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. The highest level of football I played is:

• NFL/CFL
    • College (Div 1-3)
    • High School (JV or Varsity)
    • Backyard football with friends/relatives
    • I played the violin
  2. 2. The highest level of football coaching I participated in was:

• NFL/CFL
    • College (Div 1-3)
    • High School (JV or Varsity)
    • Little League
    • I came in second in my Fantasy Football League

Assuming the responses re. NFL/CFL experience are honest (for players and coaching), I gather 95% of us don’t know what the hell we’re talking about (but we sound damn good making our arguments). We’ll wait and see if there’s any other votes to determine if Andy Reid, Dave Gettleman or Sean Payton are lurking on the board. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jester said:

literally play the violin (Bachelor's in Music from Hartt) and I hate fantasy football but that doesn't mean I don't know football.  😉

I played into middle school and then picked up the guitar and stuck with that.  Bachelor's in Music from VCU.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jayg said:

I played into middle school and then picked up the guitar and stuck with that.  Bachelor's in Music from VCU.

I played “Hot Crossed Buns” on a recorder in 5th grade. Crushed it. Keep that in mind when I school you on whether Tremaine Edmunds was an instinctive MLB. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I would add do you have any type of sports experience over the violin. Because if you played or coached any sport at the high school or college level it’s basically the same type of commitment you got to love the game. I coached baseball at one time a long time ago when I was thinking about going into coaching and physically education in college. I was a team manager in basketball for the Canisius Golden Griffins. Even for that Division I basketball two a day practices usually weight lifting and conditioning at 6 AM. Then breakfast, classes, lunch, more classes than 3 PM basketball practice sometimes it would be reversed weight training in the afternoon and practice in the morning than dinner, study hall, bed. That is your day every day during the Griffs college basketball season. If you don’t love it forget it. It takes a huge commitment that is just for Division I college.

If you are Army, Navy etc add military duty at 4 AM than the weight lifting at 6 AM than everything else I mentioned. My respect goes out for the student athletes at military schools the committee is incredible. I was just a team manager at Canisius and I was exhausted during the basketball season and I didn’t play. So I know the commitment it takes. Vince Lombardi coached basketball at one time as a high school coach. He coached at Army the man was committed. So it isn’t like you can’t pick it up especially if you grew up watching the game. It’s all the same deal you got love the game. Lionel Messi has the same make up as Tom Brady the goal is to win. Same with coaching you can pick it up pretty easily if you grew up with the game as a kid.

I don’t doubt Don Shula would have been successful whatever sport he coached because he had it. Organization, detail oriented and actually had a clue. Sean McDermott could coach another sport and be successful because he has a lot of the same qualities I mentioned that Don Shula had. Football, basketball, baseball it’s basically focus and commitment to a single goal to win it has nothing to do with music that is totally different in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I would add do you have any type of sports experience over the violin. Because if you played or coached any sport at the high school or college level it’s basically the same type of commitment you got to love the game. I coached baseball at one time a long time ago when I was thinking about going into coaching and physically education in college. I was a team manager in basketball for the Canisius Golden Griffins. Even for that Division I basketball two a day practices usually weight lifting and conditioning at 6 AM. Then breakfast, classes, lunch, more classes than 3 PM basketball practice sometimes it would be reversed weight training in the afternoon and practice in the morning than dinner, study hall, bed. That is your day every day during the Griffs college basketball season. If you don’t love it forget it. It takes a huge commitment that is just for Division I college.

If you are Army, Navy etc add military duty at 4 AM than the weight lifting at 6 AM than everything else I mentioned. My respect goes out for the student athletes at military schools the committee is incredible. I was just a team manager at Canisius and I was exhausted during the basketball season and I didn’t play. So I know the commitment it takes. Vince Lombardi coached basketball at one time as a high school coach. He coached at Army the man was committed. So it isn’t like you can’t pick it up especially if you grew up watching the game. It’s all the same deal you got love the game. Lionel Messi has the same make up as Tom Brady the goal is to win. Same with coaching you can pick it up pretty easily if you grew up with the game as a kid.

I don’t doubt Don Shula would have been successful whatever sport he coached because he had it. Organization, detail oriented and actually had a clue. Sean McDermott could coach another sport and be successful because he has a lot of the same qualities I mentioned that Don Shula had. Football, basketball, baseball it’s basically focus and commitment to a single goal to win it has nothing to do with music that is totally different in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Our resident violinists are more disciplined and instinctive than some of the coaches I’ve watched this year. 

Zero organized football experience. Played soccer from age 6 until 25. Usually multiple teams per season, HS, Youth Rec League and Men's Travel teams. My HS only had baseball, basketball and soccer. We were Section V class D finalists often. In the 90s, soccer at nonfootball schools was different than now. And Profesional/European soccer is a joke. If we ever acted that way, we'd still be running laps.

I don't know much about football, but I know what hard work, preparation and effort are. Sadly, some "professionals" are lacking. 

My high school team was so good that we played like 4 homecoming games in a row each year!

There was nothing better than getting curb stomped by a team looking for their one and only win of the season against my team during their homecoming game. 😥

Our team won 4 games combined my junior and senior year, and we went like 1-7 in those homecoming games for our school and the others.

The silver lining of being so horrible is we had little pressure on us, so the halftime speech was not painful or too fiery.

I did get to play against Donte Stallworth twice. Let's just say that my goal was holding him under 150 yards receiving and no more than two touchdowns. I went 1-1 in those games.😀

• Haha (+1) 1

All-star sandlot football, boys. Fastest one blue car to yellow truck in the neighborhood. 

My hands were known and discussed three counties over. 

The younger kids made football cards of me, you could trade it for a Joe Montana rookie back then. If only I could get my hands on one now. Early retirement, boys. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, MPL said:

I've won quite a few fantasy football championships, thank you very much. 

I also scored, like, 3 touchdowns in my high school football days. And I won 5 super bowls with the bills in Madden 2001 franchise mode, so I know a thing or two. 

I once led a college flag football league in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs.  Yes, we kept stats and never mind that all the good football players were on the school team!!!!

When Bruce Springsteen sang his song about nostalgia for 'Glory Days,' this was - pathetically - the best I could think back on.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Here's my football experience: when I was a teenager I was tossing a football to myself in my room, went for a diving catch and my knee (unhurt) put a hole in the wall.  It took a few days but my mother found the hole after I put scotch tape over it trying to hide it.  I don't remember what excuse I used, but I remember getting yelled at. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Haha (+1) 2

Played WR for a couple years, then moved on to girls, 😁👍

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.