McD and Daboll hate each other probably 🤣

Dablitzkrieg

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Daboll was the aggressive one that was always yelling and screaming

And McDermott had to tell him to take a step back these aren't 19-year-olds that you can scream at and scare respect into

And then he became more even keeled 

Sure, I never said Daboll has a better temperament. The dude looks like a tomato about to burst on the sideline. 

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

They don’t have Josh Allen. I’d take Daboll over McD any day. Give me Mack like how it was supposed to be as well. So many of us wanted Gronk. They should probably start listening to the fans. 

McDermott won 9 games with Tyrod Taylor, Kelvin Benjamin, Deonte Johnson and Charles Clay as the top weapons.

Brian Daboll isn’t winning 9 games with a Tyrod Taylor level game manager QB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

And McDermott had to tell him to take a step back these aren't 19-year-olds that you can scream at and scare respect into

I wouldn't let his calm demeanor fool you. Mcd is a type a, microdetail oriented perfectionist in character. I think he's a good man but professionally if he thinks someone isn't giving enough, or is cutting against the grain, I have no doubt he will bring the hounds of hell upon you lollllllll

He has major dad vibes. When he's on camera I sit up straight in my chair, close my mouth and listen 😅😂

Could be me but his type scares me more than the blowhard always yelling types. Nobody wants to let dad down. Nobody gives a **** about the step-dad always yelling

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I wouldn't let his calm demeanor fool you. Mcd is a type a, microdetail oriented perfectionist in character. I think he's a good man but professionally if he thinks someone isn't giving enough, or is cutting against the grain, I have no doubt he will bring the hounds of hell upon you lollllllll

He has major dad vibes. When he's on camera I sit up straight in my chair, close my mouth and listen 😅😂

Could be me but his type scares me more than the blowhard always yelling types. Nobody wants to let dad down. Nobody gives a **** about the step-dad always yelling

Listen I'm not saying McDermott is a soft ass

But there's a time and place to be hard on your players... And verbally berating them on the sidelines really doesn't help any player focus

And daboll is a good coach... But he used the college mentality of screaming at your players on the sidelines during games... Old school mentality 

McDermott's approach of.. you're probably going to get your ass chewed out in private and it's going to be a hundred times worse

Is the better way than in the middle of the game

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen I'm not saying McDermott is a soft ass

But there's a time and place to be hard on your players... And verbally berating them on the sidelines really doesn't help any player focus

And daboll is a good coach... But he used the college mentality of screaming at your players on the sidelines during games... 

McDermott's approach of.. you're probably going to get your ass chewed out in private and it's going to be a hundred times worse

Is the better way than in the middle of the game

This you misread my post because that's exactly what I, atleast meant, to imply.

Do that s*** in private. I just don't think there's a need to dress a guy down in public, great way to lose a player.... not to mention I think it's more effective to handle it calmly, with the player knowing and thinking about having to go to principals office back behind closed doors. Also gives emotions a chance to cool down, where real listening can happen 

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This you misread my post because that's exactly what I, atleast meant, to imply.

Do that s*** in private. I just don't think there's a need to dress a guy down in public, great way to lose a player.... not to mention I think it's more effective to handle it calmly, with the player knowing and thinking about having to go to principals office back behind closed doors. Also gives emotions a chance to cool down, where real listening can happen 

I get what you were saying

Daboll was the opposite of that 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Love the hand tap to McD followed by a huge hug for Allen 

It looked as though Daboll was prepared to put a bit more time into it and McDermott brusqued off.

I wonder if McDermott had an issue with some of the things that were going down on the field, maybe as a result of how the Giants players were being coached to play against us?

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Well if I remember correctly didn't the Giants assault us in the redzone at some point in this game?

Yes. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Maybe McD pissed at the cheap shots? Daboll holding a grudge for 13 seconds? 

In the Flores lawsuit it’s mentioned that Daboll wanted out of Buffalo, even if it was for just a lateral move. 

A lot of fans dismisses it, but I never had any reason to doubt it.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It looked as though Daboll was prepared to put a bit more time into it and McDermott brusqued off.

I wonder if McDermott had an issue with some of the things that were going down on the field, maybe as a result of how the Giants players were being coached to play against us?

Yes. 

I think it’s this plus the fact that they don’t like each other (for whatever reasons).

Also, it was ice cold. I would expect a similar reaction from Bill Belichick. Imagine the Broncos (of old) came into Gillette and they’re stomping on the LT on the ground, tossing the RT around after the play, and Brady feels the need to come in off the top rope with a steel chair. 

Bill would have given him a fist bump, mumbled something meaningless platitude about it at the podium, and refuse to address it for eternity. And that’s for a guy he likes. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah, I was paying attention because it interested me.  During his 4 years in Buffalo, it was like Daboll went to Charm School.  You could see it in his pressers. 

2018 and early 2019, he was curt and veered close to throwing players under the bus (Beasley deflected catch that went for a pick-6: "maybe the throw is a little low, you still have to catch it"). 

By the time he left, he was relaxed, he acted as though he were personally concerned about each reporter's health, he was gracious, he seemed fun.

I can't say it was McDermott, but someone during Daboll's time in Buffalo re-cast him.  Dick Vermeil used to send his coaching assistants to Dale Carnegie, wouldn't surprise me if McDermott did something similar. 

Daboll came to Buffalo with a reputation for screaming and yelling at his players.  In particular, he was reported to be ridiculously brutal to Colt McCoy:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ms-silver_colt_mccoy_browns_brian_daboll_112411.html

"There were times I had to pull my helmet off to call a play in the huddle," McCoy recalled in an interview earlier this month. "Guys could hear him yelling, and they'd say, 'Just take it off.' People said to me, 'Man, I ain't never seen anything like that. Just hang in there.'"

Josh Allen tells a story his rookie year about going off-script and having Daboll just launch into him, screaming at him through the helmet radio, then calming down on the sideline, then thinking about it and coming back to scream at him some more.  He was seen screaming at Josh in 2019 during the NE game, at the same time that there were complaints about delays getting plays called.

After that, Daboll went up to the booth and he never game down.

I agree with you, not just sports but any venue, screaming and yelling at someone in public does not help performance

I think McDermott is probably very intense, and a player knows when he's "on the carpet" but he doesn't need to scream in public to convey that impression.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Clearly

But it's not like they didn't have a measure of success together

Holding grudges is for the birds imo

I could be an outlier, but I think it may have had less to do with a grudge, and more to do with the way the Giants players played us.  Tripping, throwing our RT down, stomping on players etc.

The D is more Wink Martindale's territory but Daboll is the HC and "the buck stops here"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

They don’t have Josh Allen. I’d take Daboll over McD any day. Give me Mack like how it was supposed to be as well. So many of us wanted Gronk. They should probably start listening to the fans. 

Mack never lived up to the hype, imo. The dude turned into a ghost as soon as he got his check. He hasn't had a double digits sack season since 2018 and would routinely disappear for 2+ games at a time, make one sack and then disappear again. This year he had a 6 sack miracle game and nothing else. If I wanted to spend $130M in 2018 money, I'd pick a different horse.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This seems like much more than difference of opinion in terms of coaching philosophy.

I recall after 2020 it seemed like McDermott was annoyed that Daboll didn't get a head coaching job. It raised a red flag for me at that time. It seemed like he was ready to move on.

Other thoughts that come to mind...

Perhaps Daboll was angry with McDermott over 13 seconds. Someone on X said there were rumors that Daboll let McDermott have it afterwards, which would make sense given that Daboll had just overseen a legendary offensive performance and then McDermott ruined it, robbing Daboll of the chance to win a Super Bowl for his hometown team and for Josh on his way out.

Someone else suggested that Daboll made a power play for the head coaching job in Buffalo after 13 seconds.

Yet another suggested that McDermott is jealous of the love that players clearly have for Daboll, which they absolutely do not have for McDermott.

Something else I thought of is that this might have something to do with the fight to secure Dorsey's services. As I recall, both McDermott and Daboll wanted him.

There could be a lot of layers to this onion.

Yesterday, McDermott said that he respects Daboll "as a coach," and there was something there to suggest that he was subtly saying that is the only manner in which he respects him.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was like early in josh's tenure... Where daboll was constantly yelling and screaming after mistakes

And people said McDermott came to him and told him that you can't coach like that

It's legitimately 5-6 years ago.. but daboll was fiery early on.. he had a habit of screaming at Josh... Then he stopped

Even after Josh made a mistake

Just like he did at Tyrod at the end of the half. Tyrod deserved it, but it's a bad look for a coach to be red faced, screaming and whining. 

Didn't McD put him in the booth at one point to avoid that too? 

• Agree 1

Yea they were very strongly rumoured to have fallen out by the end of Dabes' time here. He then also tried to nick Dorsey when he got hired which probably didn't help. 

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Mack never lived up to the hype, imo. The dude turned into a ghost as soon as he got his check. He hasn't had a double digits sack season since 2018 and would routinely disappear for 2+ games at a time, make one sack and then disappear again. This year he had a 6 sack miracle game and nothing else. If I wanted to spend $130M in 2018 money, I'd pick a different horse.

One of the most overrated players of the last decade IMO. 

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I agree with you, not just sports but any venue, screaming and yelling at someone in public does not help performance

I think McDermott is probably very intense, and a player knows when he's "on the carpet" but he doesn't need to scream in public to convey that impression.

Come to think of it, even just the other day McDermott made the comment that screaming at someone probably isn't conducive to a good work environment.

• Like (+1) 1

Say your McDermott and the team you helped build is the reason Daboll is getting serious head coaching consideration. 

Then the Flores report comes out that Daboll doesn't like you, most likely because you did your job and told him what you needed to see from the offense.  Would you have a lot of respect for the guy? 

I get the sense that Daboll is a guy whod be cool to have a beer with.  But not necessarily the type of guy with oodles of maturity.    Love Daboll as a play schemer.  But I am going with McDermott in this one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was like early in josh's tenure... Where daboll was constantly yelling and screaming after mistakes

And people said McDermott came to him and told him that you can't coach like that

It's legitimately 5-6 years ago.. but daboll was fiery early on.. he had a habit of screaming at Josh... Then he stopped

Even after Josh made a mistake

Did you notice how Daboll was screaming at Tyrod to end the first half? And Tyrod has been around a while. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I could be an outlier, but I think it may have had less to do with a grudge, and more to do with the way the Giants players played us.  Tripping, throwing our RT down, stomping on players etc.

The D is more Wink Martindale's territory but Daboll is the HC and "the buck stops here"

You think McD was short with the handshake because of a scrum in a football game and not probably because of years of working together?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.