Giants @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This game I thought the offensive line played fine enough to win. That Gabe Davis fumble and the Josh INT along with some drops really hurt the Bills chance to get offensive momentum. 

I will say this the defense was impressive, they made the big plays when they needed to. Dorian Williams and Bernard held up at LB while the defensive line forced the Giants into a game plan that was focused on quick throws and QB movement. Outside of a few trap plays they adjusted to quickly the ground game of the Giants was cut down to size: 

This game shouldn’t have been this close but a win is a win

We have too many skill players "out of sorts" - the play gets to them, and they can't clinch the deal.  If it's true Knox is playing with a torn ligament and a broken bone, in a brace, I don't want to dunk on him too much, but it's not good.  Gabe Davis fumbling, etc.

I am proud of our LB and Taron Johnson.  They may be small, but they're fierce.  When Taron tackles a guy, he knows he's been hit.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Frankly I have no patience for these clowns who spout off about that.  I just watched a lot of football this weekend and saw that catch and tougher ones being made all over the place.  Now if it was the 1st quarter we could complain that Allen's throw didn't enable Knox to score because it was under thrown.  But on that play you make the catch and the game is over.

And to be fair to Knox his injury probably made that a much more difficult catch then it should have been.

I agree. I don’t think a lot of posters watch any other teams games. If they did, they’d see it. Also, maybe they weren’t fans during the drought? Josh is the best or at least top 3 Qb right now. It wasn’t long ago when Tuhrod Taylor was our franchise. Lol

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

We have too many skill players "out of sorts" - the play gets to them, and they can't clinch the deal.  If it's true Knox is playing with a torn ligament and a broken bone, in a brace, I don't want to dunk on him too much, but it's not good.  Gabe Davis fumbling, etc.

I am proud of our LB and Taron Johnson.  They may be small, but they're fierce.  When Taron tackles a guy, he knows he's been hit.

The problem is Knox always drops balls. It’s his MO. And Gabe is feast or famine. always has been 

Edited by AlfaBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Nelius said:

This was celebrated in the GDT but there was an equal amount of “I’d rather he be sitting by now” and typical cynicism so it got quickly drowned out.

Tell you this much - Joe Burrow would never 

He shouldn’t do that. He’s a bloody QB. Ya Josh has balls, but I’d prefer he didn’t do that kinda stuff

8 minutes ago, arcane said:

This is a game that most NFL teams play a dozen times per year, and we are blessed that it isn't the norm for us. This is the NFL and the around-the-league scoreboard showed a lot of games like this this weekend. That doesn't mean that it's acceptable for the Bills to not meet their standard, especially against the Giants, and we are lucky we won, but we are also lucky that this type of game isn't the standard. And frankly, I find myself happy right now, because this game reminded me a lot of the Jags game, the Vikings game, games where we just come up short because we can't handle playing with the plebs the way they're used to doing it. But we actually won. 

Sorry, I'm not convinced at all that Dorsey was a problem. I saw the same plays we executed on in the 2nd half being screwed up on the field in the 1st half. "Running out of shotgun" probably averaged 7 YPC tonight, and the precious play action dropbacks were miserable because the Giants dismissed them completely. 

A bit worried about Allen's shoulder. 

This is the post that sums it up well. Agree. The nfl is almost always close games decided by a bounce or a tip or a big play each and every time. We need to get to the playoffs and be playing well then. In the mean time I need to stock up on my heart medication!

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Collinsworth such a Giants homer, that amount of inconsequential grabbing happens a lot.  

The Giants got away with a lot of holding and tripping in the 1st half on Diggs and Davis.

Weak fumble by Davis, Knox's play was uninspired.

Allen hits the half-court and misses the layups.

Was an ugly game by the offense with too many execution errors.

It was sloppy and that is on Dorsey to correct.

• Like (+1) 1

It was a weird day in the NFL. I'm going to chalk it up to the solar eclipse. 😊

San Fran and Philly both upset by lesser squads. Scoring was down across the league: 19 of 26 teams scored fewer than 21 points. Only 3 teams scored more than 24 points. Most games were close (whether they were expected to be or not). Quarterback play across the league was consistently bad today. There were 29 total passing TDs vs. 31 total INTs thrown this week, collectively. Yes, the Bills only scored 14, but KC only had 19, the Bengals 17, the Eagles 14, the 49ers 17.

Just a strange week...let's take our win, thank you very much, and move on.

Plus, as others have said, Daboll knows this team better than anyone. We still run HIS offense (with some tweaks). He helped mold Josh...he knows all of his tendencies, etc. And Daboll ran his offense against McD's defense for how many years, so he has a lot of knowledge on that angle as well. And he doesn't just know Josh, he also worked with Stef, Gabe, Knox, Dion, Mitch...he knows  a lot of our personnel very well (as does Schoen). That all has to be an advantage/balance the scales talent-wise a bit.

I look at it as an ugly win that allowed our defense some time to reset. We squeaked out a game where Von was able to help ramp up some more, where our young LBers and corners got some important reps/experience, and the defense overall got to re-gel with so many new starters and role players needing to fill in. And overall, they played well...so hopefully we see an upward arrow there (after the dip of losing Milano, Tre, and DaQuan).

Offense has hit a bit of a slump these last two games, but I'm not worried yet. Could just be London and Daboll/eclipse 😁, and execution (Josh missed a few throws today, we again had some drops, etc.). 🤷‍♂️ Now, if they lay another egg next week against the Pats, I might start to worry a bit, but we all know what this offense and Josh are capable of. I feel strongly that they'll get back on track. I was at least happy that their halftime adjustment was to come out and pound the ball...and they had some success doing that. But they do still seem to be trying to find their true 2023 identity. Hopefully that happens soon.

Prayers for Damien! 🙏

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Giants came to play, that’s for sure. The Bills looked like they were still somewhere over the North Atlantic. 

From the intensity I saw in the Giants I feel like Daboll and the team saw this is their kind of Super Bowl. Plus, that D sees this O in practice every day. We are blessed to survive this one. Phew.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I really wasn't impressed with the Bills defense. The looked vulnerable against a very poor Giants offense. An offense that had Tyrod Taylor, mash unit of an oline, and a recovering Barkley. You realize this unit hasn't scored a TD this season? 

It was a commendable defensive effort, not terrible but it's nowhere near good enough to stop a Good playoff caliber offense. The injuries will likely be just too much to overcome. I suspect the defense won't win a lot of games vs good offenses.

What really is worrisome is the offense. I think it's the offense that has to carry this team come playoff time. The last two games they have been worst than bad. Sadly, Allen has been the only ray of hope. 

Dorsey is just not OC material. It's just that simple. The oline has regressed after such a promising start. The lack of offensive weapons and explosiveness is obvious and problematic. 

Short term high for the win tonight. However, when you look at the long term view it's much bleaker than anticipated. 

Do only our opponents have injuries that matter? 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

From the intensity I saw in the Giants I feel like Daboll and the team saw this is their kind of Super Bowl. Plus, that D sees this O in practice every day. We are blessed to survive this one. Phew.

There were many comments over the years about how ultra-competitive Daboll is. 

There was (unsubstantiated) talk that there was enough friction between Daboll and McDermott that Daboll might have wanted to take a parallel move if he wasn't hired as a HC which would surely provide additional "juice" to an already ultra-competitive guy

And, with last year's playoff team coming into the game 1-4 and looking, at times, undisciplined and unprepared, Daboll has been facing the criticism of the NY media, justly.

He had his guys fired up and ready to rock -n- roll.  Fortunately, they rocked but didn't roll us.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tre, Milano & D. Jones losses are too much. Both from a significant loss of talent & skill as well as significant financial impact. Very gutty performance by the rest of the team, but it was the Giants. We can’t play like this a beat NE -or anybody else, for that matter. I get that Diggs is often the 1st read on pass plays and when he’s immediately open, Allen throws him the ball. My issue is with Knox who isn’t an NFL starting caliber TE. Barely adequate blocker and very suspect hands. Davis isn’t worthy of a 2nd contract (Knox wasn’t either..) Barely adequate route runner with average to suspect hands. He is very good at staying inbounds along the sideline. So when we’re bitching about only Allen & Diggs being productive, it’s part scheme and part that no other starter is worthy. How to fix this? Bench Davis & Knox. Pick any other WR and start Quinton Morris with Kincaid. Has anyone seen Morris drop a pass he should catch since he’s been here? Davis is not the 2nd best WR on the team. He just CAN’T be! We just don’t know for sure how many others are better given they’re not being given opportunities. We’re not going to improve by keeping status quo with our WRs/TEs.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

AKA you were wrong.  We could've had Claypool but you and Beane were sitting on your hands thinking Sherfield was the answer LMAO

Claypool tada yada yada no better than what we have below Diggs. 

and sorry cupcake you can go read my posts to you. I was clear with what I said. 

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The longer that I sit with this, the more I think that it’s better to win than to lose. Also, we have two week in a row where the Bills played against teams where opposing coaches had the playbook. That ends now. 

How did JAX get the drop? Do they have any ex-Bills players or coaches on the Jaguars?

10 minutes ago, arcane said:

Maybe the tv levels were just warped, but it sure sounded like the crowd did not get loud on the last giants drive until the last couple plays. I do not like night games in OP 

Perspective from the game on that drive: I kind of agree. The fans in general brought solid energy and noise all night, but on that drive the fans were weirdly slow to get riled up. 

Also, there were a decent amount of Giants fans in attendance. The similar jerseys and colors made it difficult to ascertain visually, but they were making some noise when the Bills were on offense.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, arcane said:

Maybe the tv levels were just warped, but it sure sounded like the crowd did not get loud on the last giants drive until the last couple plays. I do not like night games in OP 

I was at the game.  It wasn’t that loud.  I think it had a lot to do with the fans being frustrated.  Everyone around me was pretty pissed with the offense and had the mindset that we should beat this team by 20.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tre, Milano & D. Jones losses are too much. Both from a significant loss of talent & skill as well as significant financial impact. Very gutty performance by the rest of the team, but it was the Giants. We can’t play like this a beat NE -or anybody else, for that matter. I get that Diggs is often the 1st read on pass plays and when he’s immediately open, Allen throws him the ball. My issue is with Knox who isn’t an NFL starting caliber TE. Barely adequate blocker and very suspect hands. Davis isn’t worthy of a 2nd contract (Knox wasn’t either..) Barely adequate route runner with average to suspect hands. He is very good at staying inbounds along the sideline. So when we’re bitching about only Allen & Diggs being productive, it’s part scheme and part that no other starter is worthy. How to fix this? Bench Davis & Knox. Pick any other WR and start Quinton Morris with Kincaid. Has anyone seen Morris drop a pass he should catch since he’s been here? Davis is not the 2nd best WR on the team. He just CAN’T be! We just don’t know for sure how many others are better given they’re not being given opportunities. We’re not going to improve by keeping status quo with our WRs/TEs.

Agree with you that the Tre, Milano, and D. Jones losses are huge.  Rousseau is said to be playing with a broken bone in his foot (per @HappyDays source).  Von Miller is getting a lot of face time with the press, but not contributing on the field.  Dane Jackson out with a foot injury.  So our CB were Christian Benford and a guy who didn't have a game-day jersey 2 weeks ago.

Bottom line is I had no idea what to expect from the defense, and they stood up.  They delivered a performance that hopefully they can build on in coming weeks.  Because you're right, they'll have to.

Make no mistake - the Giants have not been a good football team this year, but they have 3 coaches who are intimately familiar with our offense and quite familiar with our defense as well.  They are easily the equivalent of a divisional opponent who knows us well, and more.

Disagree with you on Knox.  He is a starting caliber TE.  He is said to be playing in a brace, with a torn ligament and a broken bone in his hand.  He hasbecome quite a good blocker - when he has two hands.

I would have liked to see us continue to run 12 sets with Morris while Kincaid is out.  I think Morris has shown flashes, and should get more looks.  He runs receiver-worthy routes, and his blocking has improved.

I'm afraid Davis *is* the 2nd best receiver on the team.  Unfortunately.  I'm not saying he's enough.  The coaches see these guys in practice.  Fans love to believe that the coaches like to sit more talented players because....they're playing Candy Crush during practice?  They don't watch film?  They're dumb?  What I think is that Josh needs to see other guys than Diggs.  Cook, for example.  Sherfield could use some love when he's out there.  And we're paying Harty for more use than he's getting

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How did JAX get the drop? Do they have any ex-Bills players or coaches on the Jaguars?

Yes, of course they do.  They have Chad Hall, and their ST coordinator is Heath Farwell.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

W. That’s all that matters this early in the season. Now let me complain…

I called this in the lead-up thread. This was a perfect Billsy game playing down to the competition. When do we ever blow the doors off a team when every single angle points to a Bills blow out? Never.

#1 problem is Dorsey. I held my tongue last year, I defended him in the first 3 games because his game plans were good, the last 3 games he’s absolutely sucked. It’s like he spends all off season coming up with a plan, teams adjust after a few games and his play sheet becomes 90% “Josh make a play”

This offense has NO identity. It looks like sandlot football where guys just call plays in the huddle. Zero set up, zero flow. It’s an abomination not to start running the ball until the second quarter. No one gets open besides Diggs and the play calling isn’t helping matters much. Too much shotgun, and that shotgun run on the goal line is a fireable offense.

I really think they’ve coached the dog out of Josh. There were at least 3 first downs Josh could have easily run and slid for where he hesitated and threw short or incomplete. This is a big problem. I agree we want him to take fewer hits but it’s obvious he’s thinking too much when there’s tons of green in front of him for easy yards. We need those legs in the right situations and I think Dorsey/McD have done him and the team a disservice by taking that away.

Love the W. Hope they figure it out on offense. Lots of games left to be played.

Well stated and well done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They do not get to keep a playbook

They do not get to keep a playbook, but a lot of football players seem to have phenomenal memories which I'm sure they carry over into their coaching days, and of course you can't take away a man's personal notes.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was at the game.  It wasn’t that loud.  I think it had a lot to do with the fans being frustrated.  Everyone around me was pretty pissed with the offense and had the mindset that we should beat this team by 20.

Well, if we hadn't missed 2 makeable FG, we would have scored 20

Edited by Beck Water

26 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

This is the post that sums it up well. Agree. The nfl is almost always close games decided by a bounce or a tip or a big play each and every time. We need to get to the playoffs and be playing well then. In the mean time I need to stock up on my heart medication!

This kind of thinking is a cop out and total bs. A fifteen point favorite doesn't often struggle and hold on to dear life to win. 

Yes there are close games every week in the NFL but not ones like today when you factor in all the variables. The Bills should have smoked the Giants from the opening snap. 

I'm happy the Bills won. It gives me hope for the rest of the season and hopefully post season. My fear is it's false hope, a wish, prayer, and a fantasy. 

Realistically this Bills have a really big uphill battle to compete with the likes of the top tier teams. I can't help but think by season's end Cinci and KC will be much improved. Can we say the same about Buffalo?

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That sounds like a You problem.

Sounds like I'm not alone. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, arcane said:

No one does. But to critique people like me and the others that were there when you were not is something. 

and I just got home at 1:37 , and have an 8 hour ride home tomorrow. That game was exhausting from start to finish, crowd noise should be the last thing the Bills or those fans are worried about. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This kind of thinking is a cop out and total bs. A fifteen point favorite doesn't often struggle and hold on to dear life to win. 

Yes there are close games every week in the NFL but not ones like today when you factor in all the variables. The Bills should have smoked the Giants from the opening snap. 

I'm happy the Bills won. It gives me hope for the rest of the season and hopefully post season. My fear is it's false hope, a wish, prayer, and a fantasy. 

Realistically this Bills have a really big uphill battle to compete with the likes of the top tier teams. I can't help but think by season's end Cinci and KC will be much improved. Can we say the same about Buffalo?

Sounds like I'm not alone. 

What good does bitching do? Just enjoy the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Do only our opponents have injuries that matter? 

Great point. So you admit the injuries to Tre, Milano, and Jones will be difficult to overcome? 

The point is the defense played a terrible offense. Not there fault but it still has to be put in it's proper perspective. The defense still has a lot of work to do. It's nowhere near super bowl quality. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.