Like to see more of Harris and Murray early

BananaB

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Just move the ball forward with tough running. Cook just has too many negative plays and puts the O in bad situations. 

Agree in this game.

I don’t have a problem with Cook being the lead back in general, but he was ineffective right away today going sideways, and this game required more straight ahead North-South running. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

1st Down - Cook up the middle -2 yards 

1st Down - Cook up the middle no gain

1st Down - Cook run right -6 yards

You forgot all the 2nd and 10s for 2 yards. Love purposely putting ourselves in 3rd down. I’m guessing they want “ a more manageable 3rd down” which In most cases I think is an weak awful strategy. 

This is one of the things that I didn’t agree about with Dorsey’s playcalling today

Cook didn’t have it. I still think he’s a good player but whenever you come out of a game with negative yards and you had hammers that you didn’t use enough, you should get question.

There was a point in this game where we needed first downs, much less touchdowns to keep our defense fresh

Our defense didn’t give up they were exhausted

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I just flat out dont think Cook is a lead back in the NFL.   For all the speed I hear about he is abysmally slow to the hole.    Its very hard to say that because he is still averaging over 5 yards a carry but he just doesnt have the feel of a bell cow back.  Id like to see Harris get more work, but I think we know what we have with Murray at this point in his career.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I just flat out dont think Cook is a lead back in the NFL.   For all the speed I hear about he is abysmally slow to the hole.    Its very hard to say that because he is still averaging over 5 yards a carry but he just doesnt have the feel of a bell cow back.  Id like to see Harris get more work, but I think we know what we have with Murray at this point in his career.  

He simply is too small to break any tackles or push a pile. Great running outside don’t get me wrong, and is very useful in certain situations. But we are using him completely wrong and it’s so obvious it hurts

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s gotta be part of the offensive game plan, right? Cook worked great against Miami because they don’t tackle well on the line, and get moved back regularly by string guards. Jacksonville has a different, and very good defense. Harris would have looked wonderful out there to slow the pace down, and make the defenders pay for tackling him.

Not sure why we can see that, and the coaching staff doesn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

He simply is too small to break any tackles or push a pile. Great running outside don’t get me wrong, and is very useful in certain situations. But we are using him completely wrong and it’s so obvious it hurts

Could have had of choice of either Breece Hall or Kenneth Walker over Elam.  Looks like a big mistake right now.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd be fine if they never do that shotgun run where Allen runs to Cook and hands him the ball ever again. I hate that play.

I don't know if that play has taken Dorsey's family hostage or something, but if it's not working do something different or fix it.

If we ran more screens or actually threw to him in some kind of planned out manner he would be more effective.  If we want to line up big, grind the ball, and throw to some TE's then there is no reason Harris shouldn't be getting some more carries.  Jet's game and this game are both great examples of a few stuffed runs and we give up and become easy to defend.  We were bullying the Dolphins around and we should be trying harder to do that week in and week out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Just move the ball forward with tough running. Cook just has too many negative plays and puts the O in bad situations. 

I don’t think it’s as much Cook as it s the OL struggling badly today.  There were plenty of plays where Cook had nowhere to go.  Maybe the simply should have tried to throw some of those delay runs out of the playbook today

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t think it’s as much Cook as it s the OL struggling badly today.  There were plenty of plays where Cook had nowhere to go.  Maybe the simply should have tried to throw some of those delay runs out of the playbook today

A tale of 2 offenses.

Early on the Bills struggled to run the ball. The Jags struggled to run inside...even after Jones went out.

The Bills chose to abandon the run. There were 10 called running plays to the backs all day. And some of those were audibles. Tried mostly draws...very little under center and almost no misdirection. End result? Buffalo became 1 dimensional. Not much under center as they refused to stick with the run and that would make play action a moot point. No one was afraid of it. Allowed Jacksonville to key in on pass and pass rush. 

The Jags kept at it. Tried different ways to run until they found what worked. Wore down the defense and made them play the run. End result? ETN with a 35 yards TD run up the middle to basically seal the game.

Running the ball needs to be an attitude. If it's not working Dorsey needs to keep working it. The offense is much more dangerous when the run threat is there.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Cook is a hard player to figure out. I think what it comes down to is that if he has space to work with he is excellent and will maximize that space. That's where people get excited about him. But he is a little slow to accelerate and if he is met with direct contact he isn't going to break away from it. So when that space isn't created for him it looks as bad as it did today.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I’m not a big cook fan.

He has his flashes and he’s explosive for sure.

But I think he’s more of a back you find a way to get him the ball in space, rather than be your primary ball carrier 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

Like to see more of Harris and Murray early

I'd like to see more of 'em in general.  

Cook had 5 carries, 3 in the 1st half. 

Harris had 3 carries, 2 in the 1st half. 

Murray had 2 carries, both in the 1st half.  

Only 3 carries in the second half, two by Cook, one by Harris.  

It would be nice to see us run more, but also nice to see some non-boneheaded running plays called.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Agree in this game.

I don’t have a problem with Cook being the lead back in general, but he was ineffective right away today going sideways, and this game required more straight ahead North-South running. 

Cook simply doesn't have the frame to take the constant pounding. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Cook, IMO, doesn't have the vision, strength or wiggle to make defenders miss. Just speed

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is one of the things that I didn’t agree about with Dorsey’s playcalling today

Cook didn’t have it. I still think he’s a good player but whenever you come out of a game with negative yards and you had hammers that you didn’t use enough, you should get question.

There was a point in this game where we needed first downs, much less touchdowns to keep our defense fresh

Our defense didn’t give up they were exhausted

With 7 minutes left in the game our depleted D had only given up 11 pts to Spicoli.  Not being able to establish any semblance of a run game destroyed this team. Our remaining defensive players did fine but were simply exhausted.  As what happened 2 years ago (9-6), our offense just can't match up with the jagoffs. Scrub the stupid shotgun draw and snap the fricken ball behind center like you did last week. Give Cook a running start Dorsey.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

With 7 minutes left in the game our depleted D had only given up 11 pts to Spicoli.  Not being able to establish any semblance of a run game destroyed this team. Our remaining defensive players did fine but were simply exhausted.  As what happened 2 years ago (9-6), our offense just can't match up with the jagoffs. Scrub the stupid shotgun draw and snap the fricken ball behind center like you did last week. Give Cook a running start Dorsey.

This is what has to change going forward.  

Time for under center PA to be the feature and start focusing on being a power run team that will throw it all over you if we want instead of being the throw it all over you team and then pretend to be a power run team when we absolutely have to have it.  

Too much is about to be put on Josh again bc this defense is going to be a disaster come the 2nd half of the season when we play the elite offenses.  

Need to shift (adjust) the philosophy.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see us try out Harris as the lead back.  Line up under center and get him running downhill.  I trust Josh to convert 3rd and 3s. I'm tired of getting behind the sticks with slow developing draw plays.  Give it to the guy that runs downhill and gets tackled moving forward.  That guy is Harris (or Murray).

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah the time of possession at points was 29 minutes Jags, 15 minutes Bills, then later it was 31 minutes Jags, 17 minutes Bills.

Too many punts in this game with no TOP.

100% on the offense and Dorsey.

5 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I hate how we are completely misusing Damian Harris. He can run between the tackles and he’s good in pass pro. I’m not in love with James Cook at all. 

This and using Kincaid for two yard check downs are the most disappointing parts of the offensive plan and personnel use.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.