Looks like the Bills are Flying Virgin Atlantic to London

Dan Darragh

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's a link to the Virgin seat layout.

They good.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/il/en/meet-our-fleet/airbus-a350.html

OOOH - we got the "Ruby Slipper"!

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't quite follow. I don't see what harm is caused.

First of all, if the plane goes down you can be sure the FBI will be on your doorstep within the hour.  They monitor TBD regularly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't quite follow. I don't see what harm is caused.

It's a morbid thought that gave many of us bad vibes. As others have said, just because it pops into your head, doesn't mean you have to share it.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Do we know who their flight staff is?  What snacks they are getting?  How much sugar is in the snacks?  

Can anyone answer?  If not, there is definitely hijinks afoot

As a serious answer to that question, I captained the then New Jersey Nets charter from JFK to Heathrow a number of years ago, 2011 to be exact.

The team management provided the catering. It was quite a bit different from the normal first class fare. Really healthy.

The players ate none of it. They spent the entire trip playing cards with quite high stakes in first class.

I'm sure the Bills' management has handled the food issue on this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

As a serious answer to that question, I captained the then New Jersey Nets charter from JFK to Heathrow a number of years ago, 2011 to be exact.

I didn’t know they had planes 2011 years ago.  

Top Boom GIF by Un si grand soleil

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It would be the most Billsy thing ever for them to be the first team ever to die in a plane crash.

What would the league do?

😱😱😱

Nothing! We would still probably beat the jets! 

Edited by 0017

long flights and sleeping are a perfect combo. I wonder how many of the team have been to the UK before. I'm thinking they're digging it this trip vibe to be honest.

If for nothing else a cool venue And location to play football. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think the team travels with like 150 people or so +\-. I’m guessing that means any first class seat has to sit next to somebody and everybody else gets a row to themselves.

If I book a flight last minute and can’t get extra leg room I always go to the back row window. More often than not the middle seat will be open and I can stretch diagonally. 

Often the seats in the back row don't recline, so if you're not lucky enough to have empty seats in your row, you're really screwed.

It would be the most Billsy thing ever for them to be the first team ever to die in a plane crash.

😱😱😱

Who knows what the league would do since this will be the very first time an NFL team, or any sports team for that matter, gets on a plane and flies somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Flew Virgin last night to London - “Economy Delight” - was NOT comfortable. 

But the city is packed with Bills fans.

I’m 6’1” so a bit over “average”. The guy in front of me reclined his seat a couple hours into the flight. I basically kicked him in the back until he relented. No hard feelings, he was a Bills fan with a group of about 10 heading to the game, But my legs had nowhere to go. I explained I wasn’t trying to be difficult, but my knees had to go somewhere. He had reclined because the guy in front of HIM had reclined. I explained that my legs couldn’t go in the overhead bin, so he had a talk with the guy in front of him and we all kept our seats in the upright position. 

I met a guy at the bar a couple hours before the flight. Nice guy, and he was a big 6’5”. He had seats farther up front and he had sufficient room as I walked past him to the “short person zone”.  I had a fish sandwich and wine. Lots of wine. He was drinking dirty martinis, and he won the inebriated Bills fan of the flight award. He wanted to pay for my tab. I said you just showed up, I’ve been here a while, I’ve got this and gave the bartender my card. Somehow he won, and he picked up my ~$100 tab with tax and tip. Turns out he retired from investment banking the first time when he was 50. WTH? I’m not that proud! 

Front of the bus was worth the upgrade on THAT plane! That’s where our guys sat, I’m sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think the team travels with like 150 people or so +\-. I’m guessing that means any first class seat has to sit next to somebody and everybody else gets a row to themselves.

If I book a flight last minute and can’t get extra leg room I always go to the back row window. More often than not the middle seat will be open and I can stretch diagonally. 

Back rows are where bathroom parts are set when they're fixing them. They don't do a great job cleaning them or the seats. 

• Like (+1) 1

😱😱😱

You’ve finally out weirded your comment about “disliking Allen as a person”. Sort of looking forward to how you top this

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

not a very big plane, either. i am guessing they have sent their equipment ahead of time for staging and prep.

i had meant to look and see when they were leaving

Disclaimer:

I'm a former aircraft mechanic. Both Military AND Civilian.

I disagree with your assessment of the Airbus A-350-1000 series.

"Recognised as the airline industry’s large widebody aircraft of reference, the A350-1000 comfortably accommodates from 350 to 410 passengers in a standard three-class configuration, with 40% more area for premium-category seating."

PLENTY BIG and has a 14 pallet cargo capacity. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m 6’1” so a bit over “average”. The guy in front of me reclined his seat a couple hours into the flight. I basically kicked him in the back until he relented. No hard feelings, he was a Bills fan with a group of about 10 heading to the game, But my legs had nowhere to go. I explained I wasn’t trying to be difficult, but my knees had to go somewhere. He had reclined because the guy in front of HIM had reclined. I explained that my legs couldn’t go in the overhead bin, so he had a talk with the guy in front of him and we all kept our seats in the upright position. 

I met a guy at the bar a couple hours before the flight. Nice guy, and he was a big 6’5”. He had seats farther up front and he had sufficient room as I walked past him to the “short person zone”.  I had a fish sandwich and wine. Lots of wine. He was drinking dirty martinis, and he won the inebriated Bills fan of the flight award. He wanted to pay for my tab. I said you just showed up, I’ve been here a while, I’ve got this and gave the bartender my card. Somehow he won, and he picked up my ~$100 tab with tax and tip. Turns out he retired from investment banking the first time when he was 50. WTH? I’m not that proud! 

Front of the bus was worth the upgrade on THAT plane! That’s where our guys sat, I’m sure. 

Which airline did you fly and from where?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Interesting theyre going 7pm to 12:30am on this flight. Thought they would leave a bit later and land later into the day so they could go right into it.

If this is the team plane, I'm not a fan of these times.

There are reasons for the times.

The charter will be part of the North Atlantic Track System, which has various routes which begin at a few points in the Maritime Provinces in Canada, and arrive at various points in Western Europe.

Every night these points and enroute points, called tracks, vary, based on the winds and weather that evening.

If you travel outside the times of the NATS, you have to use really bad altitudes, as NATS goes from 29000-41000', and that is not part of the NFL contract. 

The NATS operates in the evening going east from North America to Europe, and from local morning from Europe to North America, thus the times.

It allows a far greater density of traffic in airspace that has no radar coverage.

Everyone is assigned a specific track, altitude and mach number.

That is how flights are separated with no radar or radio coverage.

When you get about 120 miles from the UK, they get you on radar, communication is reestablished  and you fly the various normal routes to your destination.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

There are reasons for the times.

The charter will be part of the North Atlantic Track System, which has various routes which begin at a few points in the Maritime Provinces in Canada, and arrive at various points in Western Europe.

Every night these points and enroute points, called tracks, vary, based on the winds and weather that evening.

If you travel outside the times of the NATS, you have to use really bad altitudes, as NATS goes from 29000-41000', and that is not part of the NFL contract. 

The NATS operates in the evening going east from North America to Europe, and from local morning from Europe to North America, thus the times.

It allows a far greater density of traffic in airspace that has no radar coverage.

Everyone is assigned a specific track, altitude and mach number.

That is how flights are separated with no radar or radio coverage.

When you get about 120 miles from the UK, they get you on radar, communication is reestablished  and you fly the various normal routes to your destination.

Always good having contributors who are 'in the know'.  Thank you.

Can we put Tognarelli in the baggage hold? 🤔🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Are you superstitious or something? It's not like throwing out a "what if" on a message board makes something more likely to happen in real life

I don’t like the downward emojis, so I will just go with BOO THIS! 

You can’t really believe that. How about if we talk about your family burning up in a house fire? That is just WRONG, and I see no defense for such a comment. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Are you superstitious or something? It's not like throwing out a "what if" on a message board makes something more likely to happen in real life

It's tasteless.

And your use of the term "Billsy" isn't accurate. To lose a game in a Billsy fashion means to screw up in an almost comical way. In fact, it would be comical if it wasn't our team. There's nothing comical, from anyone's perspective, about what you described.

Seriously, many of us have posted and nobody is defending you on this. This isn't the time to double down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t like the downward emojis, so I will just go with BOO THIS! 

You can’t really believe that. How about if we talk about your family burning up in a house fire? That is just WRONG, and I see no defense for such a comment. 

Hmm. Interesting to think about. I'm not offended by the comment. Apparently, I'm a psycho. Maybe I really am.

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It's tasteless.

And your use of the term "Billsy" isn't accurate. To lose a game in a Billsy fashion means to screw up in an almost comical way. In fact, it would be comical if it wasn't our team. There's nothing comical, from anyone's perspective, about what you described.

Seriously, many of us have posted and nobody is defending you on this. This isn't the time to double down.

Yeah, I concede that the overwhelming consensus is what it is. It's interesting to hear the reactions and recognize how unusual I am. I'm curious how the interaction would have gone in real life.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Hmm. Interesting to think about. I'm not offended by the comment. Apparently, I'm a psycho. Maybe I really am.

Emotional intelligence and empathy is a genuine concern. I hope you didn't torture small animals as a youth.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What if your balls caught on fire and a naked Roseanne Barr rushed in to save you, then proceeded to fart in your face whilst pouring gasoline on your nuts to put the fire out?

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

What if your balls caught on fire and a naked Roseanne Barr rushed in to save you, then proceeded to fart in your face whilst pouring gasoline on your nuts to put the fire out?

This is extraordinarily troubling to me

You have crossed a line

What is wrong with you

🙂

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Emotional intelligence and empathy is a genuine concern. I hope you didn't torture small animals as a youth.

I have at times been both credited and criticized for my ability to remain completely stoic when being yelled at or when someone is having an emotional meltdown in front of me, so objectively, there might be merit to your line of thinking

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yeah, I concede that the overwhelming consensus is what it is. It's interesting to hear the reactions and recognize how unusual I am. I'm curious how the interaction would have gone in real life.

Probably worse.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This plane is HUGE.  So I expect them to have the lounge bed chairs where they all just sleep.  

Probably have an edible or two.  Nyquil.  Dream.

Seat guru says there are only 44 seats in "upper class" on their 350's

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

not a very big plane, either. i am guessing they have sent their equipment ahead of time for staging and prep.

i had meant to look and see when they were leaving

Not sure what you mean by "not very big plane".  Airbus A350-1041 can hold 350-400 passengers and has  ~700,000 lb takeoff weight.

But, since the Bills intend to have a practice tomorrow, I would expect that they sent much of their equipment ahead on a cargo flight, so it could get unloaded, clear any customs, get it trucked to the practice facility or field, and get it unpacked and set up.

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Seat guru says there are only 44 seats in "upper class" on their 350's

Yeah, but this is likely a charter plane.  They can have it configured as 100% bed chair seating, and extra-long extra large ones at that.  I'm sure the Bills aren't the only sports team or other group flying across the ocean and wanting to arrive there reasonably rested.

EDIT: just to be clear, I was suggesting that Virgin Atlantic purchased a plane set up in this configuration or had one retrofitted (an extended process) to book for charters, not that they can take a fleet workhorse and re-fit it on a short turn around.  If it's a normal workhorse flying scheduled routes, it has whatever seats it has.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.