Week 5 NFL Power Rankings - Super Early Monday Edition Start (edit: additions throughout Tuesday)

dollars 2 donuts

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-2023/

Just because it is early doesn't mean it doesn't count!*  

Amazing how our team can get off to a 3-1 start, all the while with a Tier 2 quarterback under center whose window is closing.  What a country!

😉

(* In the grand scheme of things this does not count for even a hill of beans)

Tuesday adds:

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-49ers-retain-top-spot-as-dolphins-bengals-dip/510323/

Really?  Cowboys higher than the Bills?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-bills-chiefs-49ers-steelers-bengals/4b2d8c272038a728488d7202

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-nfl-power-rankings-2023-week-5-20231003-jefa7nb3jvc2zbs2bvjoaazmyy-story.html

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/week-5-nfl-power-rankings-dalton-miller-2023/

Just not buying the chiefs ahead of the Bills.  You shouldn’t, either.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38505927/nfl-week-5-power-rankings-poll-2023-plus-biggest-issues-defense?platform=amp

anyone really…really think the eagles are better than the Bills right now?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-2023-nfl-season

No...no.  I just don't think KC is ahead of us.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/pfts-week-5-2023-nfl-power-rankings

Well, it makes little difference NBC Chicago, or NBC Sports in general...you're just wrong, by...a lot. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-5-power-rankings-buccaneers-balling-without-tom-brady-texans-climbing-steelers-fall-seven-spots/

Look I get the Bills not being Number 1.  I can live easily with being # 2 behind the Niners, and it stinks but whatever if it is #3 behind the two undefeated teams.  However, you lose me when you see what this team has done for the last three weeks and compare it to other 3-1 teams.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Niners

Bills

KC

Philly

Miami

Dallas

Baltimore

Detroit

Jax

LAC- TB- LAR

Bills over KC because we have the best win by far and have been the best team in the league the last 3 weeks.  

Philly undefeated but haven’t been very impressive to me.

Baltimore gets my nod over Detroit because they’re 3-1 while being absolutely decimated with injuries.

10 minutes ago, cgang said:

Crazy how the Bengals season has been going so far...

They are going to be 2-4 going into their bye, with 49ers, Bills and Ravens as 3 of the next 4.... They could be sitting at 3-7 halfway through the year! 

Unfortunately, they know they will be losing more talent this year (Higgins) so they are pushing Burrow to play to try to make the playoffs and get a ring.  They are thinking short term, and its killing them

4 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

They are going to be 2-4 going into their bye, with 49ers, Bills and Ravens as 3 of the next 4.... They could be sitting at 3-7 halfway through the year! 

Unfortunately, they know they will be losing more talent this year (Higgins) so they are pushing Burrow to play to try to make the playoffs and get a ring.  They are thinking short term, and its killing them

It kind of warms my heart...

If I had to rank the teams into tiers (excluding the Monday night teams)

Tier 1 - True Contenders 

KC, Buffalo, San Fran and Philly

Tier 2- Second Level Contenders 

Miami, Baltimore, Cowboys and Detroit

Tier 3 - Playoff hopefuls 

The AFC South (someone has to win that division), Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Commanders, Browns, Packers, Rams and Chargers.

Tier 4 - Season on life support

Broncos, Vikings, Steelers, Pats, Jets, Cardinals, Raiders, Saints and Bengals

Tier 5 - Pull the plug

Bears and Panthers 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If I had to rank the teams into tiers (excluding the Monday night teams)

Tier 1 - True Contenders 

KC, Buffalo, San Fran and Philly

Tier 2- Second Level Contenders 

Miami, Baltimore, Cowboys and Detroit

Tier 3 - Playoff hopefuls 

The AFC South (someone has to win that division), Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Commanders, Browns, Packers, Rams and Chargers.

Tier 4 - Season on life support

Broncos, Vikings, Steelers, Pats, Jets, Cardinals, Raiders, Saints and Bengals

Tier 5 - Pull the plug

Bears and Panthers 

At this time in the season, this is the intelligent approach. And I agree with the top two Tiers.

54 minutes ago, CSBill said:

At this time in the season, this is the intelligent approach. And I agree with the top two Tiers.

I think “power rankings” are fun but somewhat silly in that they are very arbitrary and subjective in most cases. Tier lists usually give you the same sense of evaluation without having little quibbles over who should be 14 vs 15. 

I think in two weeks we should really clear up those middle tier’s 3 and 4 as I suspect a lot of the teams who are on life support will have their seasons pulled) and a lot of the teams in the “playoff hopeful” category will be on life support. 

The key is to “survive” the first 4 weeks and be at least 2-2. But now that the first quarter of the season is over you will start to see some separation between the teams who are going to at least be relevant and this season and the teams just “hanging around”

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Was watching Rich Eisen they were arguing about what would happen if the Bills played the 49ers and I’ll be honest I think Buffalo would house them. 

I mean I think we could win but I wouldn't say we'd house them. Purdy is really solid and doesn't turn the ball over, they have a some really nice offensive weapons and a tough D and Shanahan would get to script out some drives for a couple of weeks. 

They'd be pretty tough. 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Was watching Rich Eisen they were arguing about what would happen if the Bills played the 49ers and I’ll be honest I think Buffalo would house them. 

It's tough they've got a good defense, but Allen can do more than Purdy, we should be able to pull it off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The whole landscape can change largely due to injury and players improving as the season goes on. If the Bills meet the Niners in a hypothetical but possible Super Bowl then I like the Bills chances but that’s so hard to project out

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The whole landscape can change largely due to injury and players improving as the season goes on. If the Bills meet the Niners in a hypothetical but possible Super Bowl then I like the Bills chances but that’s so hard to project out

Our run defense leaves a bit to be desired.  49r's D is nasty.  In a close game CMC scares me a bit and they have him in the passing game along with Samuel, Aiyuk, & Kittle, so double teams are limited.  Bosa vs. Spencer Brown is an enormous mismatch.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Niners

Bills

KC

Philly

Miami

Dallas

Baltimore

Detroit

Jax

LAC- TB- LAR

Bills over KC because we have the best win by far and have been the best team in the league the last 3 weeks.  

Baltimore gets my nod over Detroit because they’re 3-1 while being absolutely decimated with injuries.

3-1 team (Bills/KC) is ranked above an undefeated team (Philly)? 👌👍

Edited by Solomon Grundy

4 hours ago, cgang said:

Crazy how the Bengals season has been going so far...

It's so weird. That team came in here and just crushed us in the playoffs, looking so much more powerful and confident. How are they what they are now?

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

3-1 team (Bills) is ranked above an undefeated team (Philly)? 👌👍

It's power rankings, not standings

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Our run defense leaves a bit to be desired.  49r's D is nasty.  In a close game CMC scares me a bit and they have him in the passing game along with Samuel, Aiyuk, & Kittle, so double teams are limited.  Bosa vs. Spencer Brown is an enormous mismatch.

It would be Brown and Knox, for the most part.

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

3-1 team (Bills/KC) is ranked above an undefeated team (Philly)? 👌👍

I think so.   I understand why others would have Philly ranked higher due to be undefeated.   They played 3 games down to the wire.  The team we just destroyed in their stadium last week just took them to OT at home.  

I think we’ve been more impressive.  

• Like (+1) 1

If Bills SF or KC don't win the super I will be surprised.

Dallas Philadelphia other contenders but not very likely. 

Lions a darkhose candidate in a conference with no elite QBs?

Everyone else just fighting for a chance to lose in the playoffs.

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Niners

Bills

KC

Philly

Miami

Dallas

Baltimore

Detroit

Jax

LAC- TB- LAR

Putting the Bills over the Chiefs does make sense.  The Chiefs tried hard to let the Jets beat them, but the refs insisted on the Chiefs getting the win.  Under fair conditions, the Chiefs would be 2-2 and have lost to the same team the Bills lost to, and another loss besides, while the Bills have put up three crushing wins, including one over the Dolphins.  Aside from all that, the Chiefs offense is not as good this year.  Their WRs disappear, and only Kelce remains as a reliable target.  While the Bills offense is much better this year.  

• Agree 1

• dollars 2 donuts changed the title to Week 5 NFL Power Rankings - Super Early Monday Edition Start (edit: additions throughout Tuesday)

Until Dallas beats a worthy opponent I can’t take them seriously as contenders

they are going to get rocked by both San Fran and Philly.  Miami and buffalo will also beat them handily 

dak isn’t it…

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think so.   I understand why others would have Philly ranked higher due to be undefeated.   They played 3 games down to the wire.  The team we just destroyed in their stadium last week just took them to OT at home.  

I think we’ve been more impressive.  

Not really sold on Philly myself 

when I do power rankings I think if these teams were head to head

buffalo May only lose to KC and San Fran - I’d even go as far as saying San Fran and buffalo are too two but KC are the defending champs

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

These will look completely different by the 4th quarter of the year.

I can't see CIN missing the playoffs unless they have to IR Burrows. They will go on a run, be in the Wildcard, and will be a team that is hot come playoff time. 

I know they started 0-2 last year, but weren’t they also 1-3, too?

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know they started 0-2 last year, but weren’t they also 1-3, too?

They started 2-3 last year, but beyond that, they just have alot of talent everywhere on the roster. If Burrows can make an in-season recovery, and they stay healthy elsewhere, they'll make a run. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Purdy is the exact kind of QB that McDermott makes mincemeat out of. Young, physically limited player that has started his career hot. Sean leaves them questioning everything. No doubt San Fran has the weapons to try and mitigate that, but their OL is NOT what it used to be. 

18 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

anyone really…really think the eagles are better than the Bills right now?

Really, really a hard no.

They haven't had a single game where they looked as good on either side of the ball as the Bills have looked on both sides of the ball for the last 3 games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

They started 2-3 last year, but beyond that, they just have alot of talent everywhere on the roster. If Burrows can make an in-season recovery, and they stay healthy elsewhere, they'll make a run. 

Not saying it wont happen, as they are very talented like you say, but they are abysmal on offense right now. Burrow is playing bottom-2 level QB right now. Almost across the board Zach Wilson has better stats. I know he is injured, but there are limitations to that offense beyond Burrows calf. They actually lost some real talent in FA (both starting safeties and Hayden Hurst). Also Burrow really relied on the defense to win key games. The Patriots, Buccaneers and Ravens in the playoff game come to mind just from last year.

TLDR I dont expect the Bengals to come back this year.

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It would start just like the Miami game with Purdy being perfect. It would culminate with a 48-30 whooping. McCaffrey would score 3 receiving TDs and 2, 2 point conversions, Purdy would run for 1.  Bosa would finally taste a Josh Allen Stiffy.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

It would start just like the Miami game with Purdy being perfect. It would culminate with a 48-30 whooping. McCaffrey would score 3 receiving TDs and 2, 2 point conversions, Purdy would run for 1.  Bosa would finally taste a Josh Allen Stiffy.

I agree Sherlock look at their streak since Mccaffrey arrived they’ve faced only a couple true franchise QBs Dak, Hurts, and Matt Stafford ..when they played the Chiefs last year with their vaunted D they where lit up like a Christmas tree 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I agree Sherlock look at their streak since Mccaffrey arrived they’ve faced only a couple true franchise QBs Dak, Hurts, and Matt Stafford ..when they played the Chiefs last year with their vaunted D they where lit up like a Christmas tree 

They will give us our biggest test when we meet in the Super Bowl... Gonna be the greatest game ever played. Just hope we are healthy enough to keep up and limit the big plays like we did to Miami.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.