Film Breakdown on Terrel Bernard - Also, Keep an Eye on the Rest of the Defense as Well.

sven233

4 hours ago, sven233 said:

It wasn't a fluke.  It wasn't luck.  This guy just gets it.  For a 2nd year guy that didn't play much at all coming into this season, what he is doing on the field is incredible right now.  He isn't the most physically imposing player, but he's super smart, plays with great situational awareness and instincts, and communicates so well on the field.  This breakdown done by Cover 1 really shows off what he does extremely well and matches what I saw on the All-22 I've watched so far.  What's encouraging, is everything he put on film here is something that he will be able to repeat game after game because he just gets it.  I don't want to compare him to Edmunds.  It's not fair to either player because they offer different traits.  But, that said, Bernard is so much more instinctive and doesn't hesitate in fear of making a mistake.  I thought too many times Edmunds would get himself in position to make a play, but didn't trust himself enough, and that half second of indecision would have him slow to react and the opportunity to make a big play would pass him by.  But, it's totally different with Bernard to this point.  He trusts himself and what he is seeing, fires his gun, and that is leading to making the splash plays we've been waiting for out of this position.  Now, will he be right every time?  Of course not.  There will be times he makes the wrong read and it will take him out of the play.  But you can live with it because it seems, more often than not, he's going to be right.

While the film breakdown in this video is primarily about Bernard, I want you to take a look at the rest of the defense and how they played together as a unit.  Yes, Howell held onto the ball too long yesterday and took more sacks than he should have.  But there was a reason for it.  The back end was totally in sync and played with great communication and gave the guys up front that extra second to affect the QB.  It really is fun to watch.  There's another thread on here asking how to stop the Dolphins offense.  And sure, there will have to be some adjustments and a different game plan to combat their speed.  But, Washington did try to utilize a lot of crossers and some similar concepts that the Dolphins use and our defense was smart and sound against them.  Can we use the same game plan we did against Washington against Miami?  Of course not.  But there were concepts in this game on defense that you will absolutely see next week at times vs the Dolphins.  Anyway, enjoy this breakdown.  It's a real fun watch.

Thanks for posting this, it really made my day.  Shows why the coaches handed him the job.  Suffice to say I don't think Milano or the secondary will miss Edmunds and can play faster now.

What impressed me the most is how he times his attacks.  The early running play where they led the TE through the hole and he hid out behind the line blocking and jumped the RB after the TE went by.  

This guy really, really processes at a high speed.  What a complete 180 from Edmunds.  Should get even better as things continue to settle in!

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 8

All I know is that he has a tiny wingspan that doesn't affect passing lanes the way that a giant pterodactyl might. He's also really old.

Kidding, of course.

I've been absolutely thrilled with Bernard's play so far. My biggest worry about the defense this year (MLB), seems unfounded. In fact, it seems that not only did the Bills not downgrade at MLB, they may have UPGRADED!

By the way, the fact that Bernard did something that hasn't been done in 16 years (2 sacks, 1 INT, 1 Fumble Recovery), when Brian Urlacher and James Harrison did it, is pretty damned impressive. Bernard impacted that game in a big way yesterday, and getting impact plays from the middle linebacker position is a sight for sore eyes.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

That was decided .5 seconds after he was drafted...lol

I didn't think he would contribute at this level honestly, figured he would be a big nickel player in sub packages only at best.

All the pundits stated how the Bills probably could have gotten him later in the draft. I didn't hate taking some depth at LB as going into 2022 there wasn't much depth behind Milano and Edumonds. But I thought if they could have gotten this player in round 4-5 why not wait and take someone else that can have a better impact at another position like a guard? However, the Bills front office liked what they saw and took the player they wanted when they wanted to which has had good returns just a year later. 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think we will slowly evolve out of the 90% base nickel and become a more well-rounded defense

Williams  - Bernard - Milano, I cannot wait for that trio. 

Im happy with how Taron Johnson is going… I expect him to remain in this D for a few more years 

• Like (+1) 1

Yup, the guy seems to know what he is doing and why he is doing it,  what’s not yo like, 

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Plenty of examples in this video of him playing well vs the run.  From a guy that understands how to break down film.

Are you still going to lead the "Bernard is a liability in the run game" parade?

@PBF81

Every game will not be like THIS game, so those with the determination will find a way to work in their message to us.

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just happen to enjoy watching football. I just have occasional observations.

Something has to give next week vs the Dolphins. That great D against the team that just put up 70 points. And I thought the writers were on strike!!!  😋

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I was thinking about it, but I’m really hoping that he switches his number next year. 43 🤮 

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I think 43 is a cool number unless you hate Richard Petty.

still have nightmares of Brady yelling “43 is the mike,” before then abusing Bryan Scott.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

he and milano aren't fast nfl LBs.  they aren't slow, they are better than average, but they aren't either as fast as edmunds.

what they have, is a really green light and a hair trigger with no safety.  they see what they want and they go full speed.  they are also agile and don't get their body twisted up so they have to waste steps and motion, which is worth more than like 1.5 tenths on a 40 at that position.  they are both pretty strong (milano more so) for being short and not that long armed of lbs.  and perhaps most of all, they are both smart and instinctive football players.  edmunds getting played like a fiddle vs kc yesterday reminded me of a scout breaking down his first game as a bill (unmitigated disaster).  the qb just attacked him over and over again, he bit on everything, and made every mistake.  edmunds improved on that, but never got rid of it.  TB and MM have very little of that in them, and they just ball so hard in our D.

• Like (+1) 3

I love videos like this, breaking down the film/angles/reads.

Bernard has been extremely impressive.  Pre-snap recognition is improving each game.  His ability to "read his keys" quickly, or what some call instinctive/mental processing, has been the biggest suprise.  He's always been explosive/emotional player, that's what drew Buffalo to draft him.  He showed that off in the Sugar Bowl.

His emotional leadership is something Tremaine lacked.  Not a knock on Maine, some guys just have a natural ability to fill that role.  He's continuing to get better each week and generate big plays, similar to Kiko Alonsos early tenure with us.  Unlike Kiko, TB appears to be a much better leader/well spoken.  

MLB was high, if not at the top, on everyone's "weakness" areas coming into the season. It's still early, but after 3 games he's proving a lot of doubters wrong 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

All the pundits stated how the Bills probably could have gotten him later in the draft. I didn't hate taking some depth at LB as going into 2022 there wasn't much depth behind Milano and Edumonds. But I thought if they could have gotten this player in round 4-5 why not wait and take someone else that can have a better impact at another position like a guard? However, the Bills front office liked what they saw and took the player they wanted when they wanted to which has had good returns just a year later. 

This just isn’t a true statement, Perhaps you can prove me wrong though. Also, there’s no guarantee he’s there a round later. 

ESPN‘s Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Bills a B grade and wrote, “The pick of undersized linebacker Terrel Bernard (89) was a reach on my board, even if it was a need. I like Brian Asamoah and Leo Chenal, who were both available, more than Bernard, who does have some read-and-react ability.”

USA Today’s Nick Wojton offered each of the Bills’ eight draft picks a specific grade and gave Bernard, the Sugar Bowl MVP, a C+. Wojton wrote, “Bernard was the most-questioned selection the Bills made. The reasoning is because Buffalo could’ve probably continued to trade back and landed him. Instead, they opted to use their Round 3 pick on Bernard.

Bernard is fast and plays fast. At the same time, he’s firmly undersized… and comes with serious tackling issues. Bernard owns a 14.8% missed tackle rate for his career and is teetering toward safety territory. He doesn’t let the lack of size get in the way of his mindset, and he does have quality instincts and athleticism. Still, Bernard should have been a Day 3 pick.

Terrel Bernard was drafted with pick 89 of round 3 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 8.88 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 271 out of 2419 LB from 1987 to 2022.

Despite the criticism of when he was picked, Bernard’s elite talent is evident. A two-time, second-team All-Big 12 selection, who ran the 40 in 4.59 seconds, received an incredibly high analytical score. During his senior year, Bernard recorded 103 total tackles, 7.5 sacks and four passes defended, per Bills Wire.

As for his size, Bills’ general manager Brandon Beane doesn’t see it as an issue. On May 2, Beane said on the One Bills Live, “He’s instinctive. He’s smart. Guys like him make up for the lack of prototype size.”

I have strong reservations about his durability as Bernard enters the NFL. If he can acclimate his body early on, limit his snaps to special teams, and play in a reserve role on defense, then he could be a fine player. I hope he doesn’t get injured, I never want that, but if he begins to miss time due to injuries, there is plenty of information to support why his body may not withstand the rigors of playing in the NFL.

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

His cover skills and instincts absolutely blew me away yesterday. Forget about all his flying around, but he was always in the right position to make a play. His speed was also refreshing. Little or no hesitation like Edmunds.  Huge find here McB.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Feeling pretty good about the linebacker position now especially with Dorien Williams, waiting in the wings

And I think Dorian will be a great backup to Milano & Bernard.  Our LB room looks very good right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

This just isn’t a true statement, Perhaps you can prove me wrong though. Also, there’s no guarantee he’s there a round later. 

I agree that there is no guarantee that draft picks will be there later, I am just talking about myself as an amateur fan thinking if pundits say he could have been drafted later then why not take him later? But pundits were generally saying he was a bit "over-drafted" just a quick look at what some pundits were saying. 

"Although it was a bit earlier than expected, you could tell Beane was excited about the Bernard pick Friday night." 

https://theathletic.com/3283624/2022/04/30/terrel-bernard-draft-buffalo-bills/

Mel Kiper call him a "reach on his board" 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33827196/nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-jr-picks-steals-sleepers-favorite-2022-classes-all-32-teams#BUF

NFL.com had a draft projection of round 5

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrel-bernard/32004245-5223-6424-136f-901f81674ee9

Draft Network had a draft projection of round 4

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/terrel-bernard-7acaddc4-edff-42bf-9ad1-e89b6873b0e9/

PFF didn't like the pick thinking he was more of a day 3 pick but others liked it. 

I am sure other pundits liked the pick but I am just going off of what I remember at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great film breakdown. Thanks for posting.

He really does seem to have great instincts and maturity. Love on the 3rd and 22 how he tells Milano, the veteran star linebacker, to back up...

I don't expect this kind of performance every week from a young player but perhaps the anxiety about the position (and Beane's drafting) wasn't entirely warranted.

BTW, these 16-year-old Cover 1 kids offer more insight in a single video than I see in a year from the beat reporters. They're really good. I hope Erik makes some decent money doing this.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree that there is no guarantee that draft picks will be there later, I am just talking about myself as an amateur fan thinking if pundits say he could have been drafted later then why not take him later? But pundits were generally saying he was a bit "over-drafted" just a quick look at what some pundits were saying. 

"Although it was a bit earlier than expected, you could tell Beane was excited about the Bernard pick Friday night." 

https://theathletic.com/3283624/2022/04/30/terrel-bernard-draft-buffalo-bills/

Mel Kiper call him a "reach on his board" 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33827196/nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-jr-picks-steals-sleepers-favorite-2022-classes-all-32-teams#BUF

NFL.com had a draft projection of round 5

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrel-bernard/32004245-5223-6424-136f-901f81674ee9

Draft Network had a draft projection of round 4

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/terrel-bernard-7acaddc4-edff-42bf-9ad1-e89b6873b0e9/

PFF didn't like the pick thinking he was more of a day 3 pick but others liked it. 

I am sure other pundits liked the pick but I am just going off of what I remember at the time. 

From what I remember, Dallas was rumored to love Bernard. We didn’t have a 4th round pick after trading up for Elam, so it was either the 3rd round or taking a chance he’d be there late in the 5th. Of course you could always try to trade back or trade up, but no guarantees there either. Taking Bernard in the 3rd meant that the Bills really loved his tape and thought he’d bring more to the table than a backup LB or special teamer. They think the same of Dorian Williams too. Glad he’s panning out so far, but it’s a long season. Mistakes will be made. Still, lots to be excited about.

8 hours ago, sven233 said:

It wasn't a fluke.  It wasn't luck.  This guy just gets it.  For a 2nd year guy that didn't play much at all coming into this season, what he is doing on the field is incredible right now.  He isn't the most physically imposing player, but he's super smart, plays with great situational awareness and instincts, and communicates so well on the field.  This breakdown done by Cover 1 really shows off what he does extremely well and matches what I saw on the All-22 I've watched so far.  What's encouraging, is everything he put on film here is something that he will be able to repeat game after game because he just gets it.  I don't want to compare him to Edmunds.  It's not fair to either player because they offer different traits.  But, that said, Bernard is so much more instinctive and doesn't hesitate in fear of making a mistake.  I thought too many times Edmunds would get himself in position to make a play, but didn't trust himself enough, and that half second of indecision would have him slow to react and the opportunity to make a big play would pass him by.  But, it's totally different with Bernard to this point.  He trusts himself and what he is seeing, fires his gun, and that is leading to making the splash plays we've been waiting for out of this position.  Now, will he be right every time?  Of course not.  There will be times he makes the wrong read and it will take him out of the play.  But you can live with it because it seems, more often than not, he's going to be right.

While the film breakdown in this video is primarily about Bernard, I want you to take a look at the rest of the defense and how they played together as a unit.  Yes, Howell held onto the ball too long yesterday and took more sacks than he should have.  But there was a reason for it.  The back end was totally in sync and played with great communication and gave the guys up front that extra second to affect the QB.  It really is fun to watch.  There's another thread on here asking how to stop the Dolphins offense.  And sure, there will have to be some adjustments and a different game plan to combat their speed.  But, Washington did try to utilize a lot of crossers and some similar concepts that the Dolphins use and our defense was smart and sound against them.  Can we use the same game plan we did against Washington against Miami?  Of course not.  But there were concepts in this game on defense that you will absolutely see next week at times vs the Dolphins.  Anyway, enjoy this breakdown.  It's a real fun watch.

Been said, but super impressed at 18:44 in this video.

This guy is getting better every week.

I loved him coming out, just glad he’s now showing it. 

Him and Milano are beasts.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im happy with how Taron Johnson is going… I expect him to remain in this D for a few more years 

Don't get me wrong I think Taron is a great football player and a top NCB, but next season is the last on his contract.

I don't know if the Bills will be able to afford him.  Some team will pay him big money I'm guessing.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't get me wrong I think Taron is a great football player and a top NCB, but next season is the last on his contract.

I don't know if the Bills will be able to afford him.  Some team will pay him big money I'm guessing.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

I agree… They can’t pay everybody ..

They got to the end of next year to decide … he is not going to be as valuable to most other teams as he it to the Bills … and I think he may know that …he might get less money at the Bills but have a lot more comfortable experience…

Edit - what happens with Tre post 2025 will also factor what might happen with TJ…

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I agree… They can’t pay everybody ..

They got to the end of next year to decide … he is not going to be as valuable to most other teams as he it to the Bills … and I think he may know that …he might get less money at the Bills but have a lot more comfortable experience…

If they really try to re-sign him, they may do it next spring.  Taron has a big cap hit and they could ease some of it with the re-sign.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

If they really try to re-sign him, they may do it next spring.  Taron has a big cap hit and they could ease some of it with the re-sign.

I also edited my post to say that what happens with Tre will be a factor …. both starting safeties likely gone and maybe Tre as well come 2025…

I think you keep TJ in those circumstances 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Plenty of examples in this video of him playing well vs the run.  From a guy that understands how to break down film.

Are you still going to lead the "Bernard is a liability in the run game" parade?

@PBF81

He was.  It was clear.  

Find the UTM running plays that he did well on?  

To start, there were only a couple.  Two for large gains.  

I realize that living in fantasyland where a guy plays well against the pass means that he's been perfect all around, but that simply was not the case.  I provided the time shots in the highlight video.  

Again, it's the UTM plays that I'm referring to, and sorry, but he did nothing on any of them.  ... as the MLB.  

He'll have an opportunity to shine in that role on Sunday quite possibly.  Let's hope he's better then than he was on Sunday or we're in trouble if the Fins run UTM often.  

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He was.  It was clear.  

Find the UTM running plays that he did well on?  

To start, there were only a couple.  Two for large gains.  

I realize that living in fantasyland where a guy plays well against the pass means that he's been perfect all around, but that simply was not the case.  I provided the time shots in the highlight video.  

Again, it's the UTM plays that I'm referring to, and sorry, but he did nothing on any of them.  ... as the MLB.  

He'll have an opportunity to shine in that role on Sunday quite possibly.  Let's hope he's better then than he was on Sunday or we're in trouble if the Fins run UTM often.  

You're so full of ****.  You just cannot get off your opinion because your ripped it all off season so you're just going to keep doubling down.  In poker this is called Pot committed.  

You show a few "time shots in a highlight" video and to you, that proves he was bad the entire game against the run?

This video from Cover 1 breaks it down, multiple times he was good against the run but your "time shots in a highlight" video is stronger evidence or something?

Do you know who doesn't know how to break down film?  The person who says "time shots in a highlight video" as evidence.

Here is just one example that was in the 40 minute video.

And why is he only graded on the UTM plays?  MLB can't play sideline to sideline or something?  They can only be graded on 1/3 of the field? LOL

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're so full of ****.  You just cannot get off your opinion because your ripped it all off season so you're just going to keep doubling down.  In poker this is called Pot committed.  

You show a few "time shots in a highlight" video and to you, that proves he was bad the entire game against the run?

This video from Cover 1 breaks it down, multiple times he was good against the run but your "time shots in a highlight" video is stronger evidence or something?

Do you know who doesn't know how to break down film?  The person who says "time shots in a highlight video" as evidence.

Here is just one example that was in the 40 minute video.

And why is he only graded on the UTM plays?  MLB can't play sideline to sideline or something?  They can only be graded on 1/3 of the field? LOL

Nah, sorry bro, the one that's hallucinating is you. 

Here's a marvelous stop by Bernard, boy, you sure are right.  LOL 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5XW6KTUABVE

And another, ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-uJ9PnQ7g

First play, Bernard gets turned around and neutralized. 

Second play he gets plowed.  

Third play was the one you provided.   Granted. 

Fourth play, first time I've seen it.  Also granted. 

Fifth play, DL did the job, GL.  DNA  

Sixth play, ... LOL 

Seventh play, ... more LOL 

Eighth play, group tackle 

Ninth play, 6 yard gain, not sure what to make of that one.  Contributed to a group tackle at best.  

10th play, completely neutralized at the second level and taken out of the play by an interior OL-man.

The last play is a pass.  

The long run by Gibson was to the outside, wasn't on Bernard.  Not in that video anyway.  

Either way, he'll have plenty of opportunities to cement himself as a good UTM run-defending MLB forthcoming.  

I'm pretty confident that vs. the Skins isn't going to be his toughest challenge in that way.  

I hope he responds as you seem to think he is.  

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Sixth play, ... LOL 

Ninth play, 6 yard gain, not sure what to make of that one.  Contributed to a group tackle at best.  

10th play, completely neutralized at the second level and taken out of the play by an interior OL-man.

The last play is a pass.  

The long run by Gibson was to the outside, wasn't on Bernard.  Not in that video anyway.  

Either way, he'll have plenty of opportunities to cement himself as a good UTM run-defending MLB forthcoming.  

I'm pretty confident that vs. the Skins isn't going to be his toughest challenge in that way.  

Highlight videos 😂😂

Geezus.  Im done.  You don’t have a clue.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Highlight videos 😂😂

I'll tell ya what, post the same plays A22.  

I dare ya!  

;)  

If I could get access and didn't have technical difficulties I'd post 'em myself, just for you.  :) 

And look, I get that you may be excited over his play, but at least be honest, run D isn't his forte.  It's obvious.  

Edited by PBF81

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Highlight videos 😂😂

And BTW, if by the end of the season the take on him is that he's more liability than answer at MLB against the UTM/off-tackle runs, then it sure won't have meant that he's excellent at it now but for some reason regressed throughout the season, as your take would have to be if that ends up being the case.  

LOL  

30 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Sixth play, ... LOL 

The last play is a pass.  

The first clip (Robinson's biggest gain) shows the OG taking Bernard down from behind.  No call (shocker).

And the best ability is availability.  The guy you were touting, Nakobe Dean, struggled in pass coverage and lasted just 61% of the snaps in game 1 before being placed on IR with a broken foot that will likely cost him half the season at least.

Edited by Doc

Was the first game I didn't see any alignment errors as well which is a really positive sign he is getting the defensive calls down as well. 

Was always going to take some time on that side with him missing the entire pre-season. Week 1 was literally the first time he has ever done it. It is also likely why at the point he Bernard went down Dodson was ahead of him in the camp battle. He has been here longer, he has called the defense before when stepping in to start and in fairness we didn't see errors in that regard from him in pre-season. Bernard was behind in that element but hopefully he has got it now.

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think we will slowly evolve out of the 90% base nickel and become a more well-rounded defense

Williams  - Bernard - Milano, I cannot wait for that trio. 

Taron is one of our best defenders. They are not taking him off the field a bunch without very good reason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

The first clip (Robinson's biggest gain) shows the OG taking Bernard down from behind.  No call (shocker).

It also shows Bernard reading the right gap, filling it and forcing the RB to go elsewhere even before Bernard is tackled from behind by the Guard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Was the first game I didn't see any alignment errors as well which is a really positive sign he is getting the defensive calls down as well. 

Was always going to take some time on that side with him missing the entire pre-season. Week 1 was literally the first time he has ever done it. It is also likely why at the point he Bernard went down Dodson was ahead of him in the camp battle. He has been here longer, he has called the defense before when stepping in to start and in fairness we didn't see errors in that regard from him in pre-season. Bernard was behind in that element but hopefully he has got it now.

Taron is one of our best defenders. They are not taking him off the field a bunch without very good reason.

As I said earlier in the week, I figured he'd get the pre-snap part down with more experience.  I didn't think it would be this soon, but I'll take it.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Sixth play, ... LOL 

The last play is a pass.  

All22 won't be out until Wednesday if weeks 1 and 2 is a guide. I only see two plays there where I think Bernard grades negatively. 

The 2nd play far from getting ploughed he gets to the gap despite the stretch play and makes first contact on Robinson that slows him for the 2nd tackler. That would be a positively graded play. Your job as the MLB there is to get to the gap and make contact. If he brings him down that would be an additional positve but using say the PFF model which is -2 to +2 on every play that is a +0.5 to me. 

The 6th play isn't his gap it is Taron Johnson's. He is on the backside of the play the fact a blocker bumps him at the end of it is neither here or there that is a neutral play for Bernard.

The 7th play - the long Robinson run I would grade him negatively. The OL gets to the second level and wins that rep. Neutralises Bernard. Not a huge negative because a OL getting clean to the second level and establishing full contact with a LB like that probably takes the majority of linebackers out of the play. Give Washington credit, well blocked up. The guy who gets the biggest negative on this play is Shaq who for once (rareity for him) overplays the inside chasing the running back. If he just stays in his lane he can make a tackle that at least slows Robinson down. 

His worst play is actually the final run (10th play) where I don't think an OL neutralises him I think he shoots the wrong gap ends up basically bumping into Daquan Jones's rear end and then the OL coming through is able to get hands on him off balance. That would be a -2.0. It is about the only time all day he shot the wrong gap though which speaks a lot to the kid's instincts.

While I think you are right to say run defending isn't his "forte" he has been really solid in that regard the past two weeks and if he can maintain that form throughout the season he'd be an upgrade as a run defender on his predecessor who had more than a penchant for shooting the wrong gap.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All22 won't be out until Wednesday if weeks 1 and 2 is a guide. I only see two plays there where I think Bernard grades negatively. 

The 2nd play far from getting ploughed he gets to the gap despite the stretch play and makes first contact on Robinson that slows him for the 2nd tackler. That would be a positively graded play. Your job as the MLB there is to get to the gap and make contact. If he brings him down that would be an additional positve but using say the PFF model which is -2 to +2 on every play that is a +0.5 to me. 

The 6th play isn't his gap it is Taron Johnson's. He is on the backside of the play the fact a blocker bumps him at the end of it is neither here or there that is a neutral play for Bernard.

The 7th play - the long Robinson run I would grade him negatively. The OL gets to the second level and wins that rep. Neutralises Bernard. Not a huge negative because a OL getting clean to the second level and establishing full contact with a LB like that probably takes the majority of linebackers out of the play. Give Washington credit, well blocked up. 

His worst play is actually the final run (10th play) where I don't think an OL neutralises him I think he shoots the wrong gap ends up basically bumping into Daquan Jones's rear end and then the OL coming through is able to get hands on him off balance. That would be a -2.0. It is about the only time all day he shot the wrong gap though which speaks a lot to the kid's instincts.

While I think you are right to say run defending isn't his "forte" he has been really solid in that regard the past two weeks and if he can maintain that form throughout the season he'd be an upgrade as a run defender on his predecessor who had more than a penchant for shooting the wrong gap.

Appreciate your take.  Royale's just giving me the business and overreacting to my original take, which more or less aligns worth yours, as you know.  

I never said he was horrible vs. the run on Sunday overall, but IMO he wasn't as good vs. the run as the overall hype on him following that game, but his highlights are primarily on pass D.  IMO, looking at his entire body of work vs. the run on Sunday, he was average at best.  

He was outstanding in the passing game.  

Unlike some I don't care about being right, I call it as I see it.  If I'm wrong, great, I'm content with that as it's a good thing to be wrong about.  But I will say, if he's really that good as everyone is saying now, he should only improve, not get worse.  

So we'll see if all.  Perhaps he'll make our collective year and be DPOY, who knows.

But right now I still see trouble ahead when we don't play the of the worst teams on our schedule.  

Sunday should be a good test on this.  

🙂

Edited by PBF81

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Appreciate your take.  Royale's just giving me the business and overreacting to my original take, which more or less aligns worth yours, as you know.  

I never said he was horrible vs. the run on Sunday overall, but IMO he wasn't as good vs. the run as the overall hype on him following that game, but his highlights are primarily on pass D.  IMO, looking at his entire body of work vs. the run on Sunday, he was average at best.  

He was outstanding in the passing game.  

Unlike some I don't care about being right, I call it as I see it.  If I'm wrong, great, I'm content with that as it's a good thing to be wrong about.  But I will say, if he's really that good as everyone is saying now, he should only improve, not get worse.  

So we'll see if all.  Perhaps he'll make our collective year and be DPOY, who knows.

But right now I still see trouble ahead when we don't play the of the worst teams on our schedule.  

Sunday should be a good test on this.  

🙂

I think he was better than average against the run. Both week 2 and week 3 he would have graded out positively in that regard (and indeed has per PFF if you go in for that kind of thing). 

Are there bigger tests to come? Yep. Will last Sunday likely be the best game he ever plays? Probably... 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 1 INT, 1 pass defensed, 2 pressures and a fumble recovery is gonna be a hard stat line to ever top. 

But so far when some of us (myself included) were fearing a liablity he has actually been a playmaking positive at MLB. He'd be borderline top 10 at the position based on performance through 3 weeks. 

I don't buy your "he should only improve not get worse" take. Football isn't that linear. Especially with young players. And especially with players that teams start to get film on. People will try and use his aggression against the run against him. They will run play action and try and throw over the top of him etc. They will run misdirection..... offensive playcallers will have gone into this season not knowing much about Bernard and as they get more tape they will adjust and he will have to respond.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.