Bills missed opportunity to ditch McD and sign genius Sean Payton

4merper4mer

Just now, mannc said:

Instead of making an un-funny joke, why don't you just link to some of the posts calling for the Bills to fire McDermott and hire Payton? 

Dude the site has a search function.  There was plenty of Payton stuff on the board and elsewhere with people whining.  You can look it up if you’d like.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Dude the site has a search function.  There was plenty of Payton stuff on the board and elsewhere with people whining.  You can look it up if you’d like.

Dude, you're the one who's making the assertion that people here wanted to can McDermott for Payton...let's see the evidence.  As you say, it should be easy to do...   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Dude, you're the one who's making the assertion that people here wanted to can McDermott for Payton...let's see the evidence.  As you say, it should be easy to do...   

No one else seems to be having a problem remembering.  You asserted that I made up crap.  I didn’t.  Now you want me to hand hold you?  

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It's also kinda funny that one Bills' home win against a pretty bad Raiders team has you feeling your oats such that you felt the need to call out fans that wanted to see the team go in a different direction, as if it's now a foregone conclusion that all the naysayers were wrong...and of course there's also your assumption that Payton is no longer a good coach after two games with the Broncos--an assumption I don't necessarily disagree with, since I never wanted Payton here in the first place. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Well damn I have no idea. I dont get paid millions to comb through the NFL and NCAA to find a great offensive mind. 

Thats what GMs and their scouts are supposed to be doing right?

If I was getting that kinda money Im certain I would have found someone to replace McD after 13 seconds.

I mean that thought experiment was to reinforce the idea that there are maybe one or two sure thing offensive minded head coaches in the league right now and the bills if they ever have to dump McD will not be getting one of them.  realistically they’d be rolling the dice on a college coach unproven at the nfl level. 

13 seconds was devastating but the best qb in the league with the fastest receivers in the league,Travis Kelce, and 3 timeouts getting into mid fg range to tie the game isn’t an instant coach firing situation imo.  Heck the bills pretty much walked off against the lions like that last year. I’d still rank it below the seahawks passing from the 1 yard line against the pats in the superbowl and plays like the Minneapolis miracle as far as egregious ways to lose in the playoffs go 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

No one else seems to be having a problem remembering.  You asserted that I made up crap.  I didn’t.  Now you want me to hand hold you?  

Yes, I'm asserting that made crap up in order to dunk on a bunch of strawmen.  Prove me wrong.  

Just now, mannc said:

It's also kinda funny that one Bills' home win against a pretty bad Raiders team has you feeling your oats such that you felt the need to call out fans that wanted to see the team go in a different direction, as if it's now a foregone conclusion that all the naysayers were wrong...and of course there's also your assumption that Payton is no longer a good coach after two games with Broncos--an assumption I don't necessarily disagree with, since I never wanted Payton here in the first place. 

This thread is about Sean Payton, the genius coach who is 0-2 at home having played Washington and LV.  I said nothing about “the naysayers” in general….just the Payton fans.  If you’re so sensitive that you need to be upset about the Bills winning a game and associating it in a topic about something else, that is on you.  

You need help with the search function and now reading comprehension?  What’s next?

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Payton was with NO for 15 years and had one of the most prolific and accomplished QBs in league history. He only made it to the NFC Championship game 3 times. You could argue he underperformed as a HC.

I don't think you need to argue it. It is just a stone cold fact. And I am a huge fan of him as a playcaller. Second only to Andy Reid in his generation IMO. But not only did he have an undoubted elite, first ballot HOF QB he had some talented rosters around him too other than a couple of years in the middle of that period when they took a step back and had a mini-reload. But he had a three year spell there in late Brees (2017-19) where they were elite at QB, elite at WR1 (Thomas), elite at RB (Kamara), elite at LT (Armstead) and then maybe just a tick below elite at edge rusher (Cam Jordan) and CB1 (Marshon Lattimore) and couldn't get it done. They lost twice of those years to the Vikings in the playoffs, Quarterbacked by Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins respectively. 

When Sean McDermott wastes playoff opportunities that good we can have a conversation about Sean Payton replacing him. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

This thread is about Sean Payton, the genius coach who is 0-2 at home having played Washington and LV.  I said nothing about “the naysayers” in general….just the Payton fans.  If you’re so sensitive that you need to be upset about the Bills winning a game and associating it in a topic about something else, that is on you.  

You need help with the search function and now reading comprehension?  What’s next?

You specifically linked Payton to McDermott...go back and read your OP.  Do you deny that you were taking a shot at people (assuming that they even exist) who wanted the Bills to hire Payton and get rid of McDermott?  As for the search function, I'm not sure how I'd use the search function to prove that something doesn't exist.  You're the one who made the assertion that something happened...it's your burden to prove it.  See how that works?   

I still, 100%, believe that would have been the right decision. I’m not overreacting to week 1 or 2. He has Russell Wilson looking like Russell Wilson again. Payton and Josh Allen would have been dynamic.

Sean Payton won a Super Bowl and was, maybe the worst call ever, from a 2nd. I lived in NOLA for his career there. I have more confidence in Payton than McDermott. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I still, 100%, believe that would have been the right decision. I’m not overreacting to week 1 or 2. He has Russell Wilson looking like Russell Wilson again. Payton and Josh Allen would have been dynamic.

Sean Payton won a Super Bowl and was, maybe the worst call ever, from a 2nd. I lived in NOLA for his career there. I have more confidence in Payton than McDermott. 

It might well be the worst call ever. Maybe the tuck rule is comparable, but that's at least a rule and hence not really a terrible call (just a bad rule).

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

You specifically linked Payton to McDermott...go back and read your OP.  Do you deny that you were taking a shot at people (assuming that they even exist) who wanted the Bills to hire Payton and get rid of McDermott?  As for the search function, I'm not sure how I'd use the search function to prove that something doesn't exist.  You're the one who made the assertion that something happened...it's your burden to prove it.  See how that works?   

Correct.  I linked Payton to McDermott.  Payton and no one else.  If I had wanted to call out “the naysayers” as you have clearly accused me of doing, I would have made this thread about the Bills win….or something else…..and not the Broncos pathetic start to the season.

You’re sensitive for some reason.  Fine.  But you may want to breathe before you post a straw man accusing others of creating straw men.  

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

@mannc can you saying thank you to @strive_for_five_guy for holding your hand?

image.jpeg.ee4053dd7150f320c5ba54d1b1b6b83f.jpeg

Edited by 4merper4mer

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Correct.  I linked Payton to McDermott.  Payton and no one else.  If I had wanted to call out “the naysayers” as you have clearly accused me of doing, I would have made this thread about the Bills win….or something else…..and not the Broncos pathetic start to the season.

You’re sensitive for some reason.  Fine.  But you may want to breathe before you post a straw man accusing others of creating straw men.  

I'm confused.  At first, you didn't deny your intent to call out Bills fans on TSW who wanted the team to hire Payton--you even told me to use the search function to find all the posts advocating for Payton over McDermott--but now, after I challenged you to produce evidence that people here wanted to fire McDermott for Payton, you say it was never your intent to call out those naysayers that you were so sure existed.😄     

Just now, mannc said:

I'm confused.  At first, you didn't deny your intent to call out Bills fans on TSW who wanted the team to hire Payton--you even told me to use the search function to find all the posts advocating for Payton over McDermott--but now, after I challenged you to produce evidence that people here wanted to fire McDermott for Payton, you say it was never your intent to call out those naysayers that you were so sure existed.😄     

Ummmmm no.

It WAS my intent to call out posters who wanted to hire Payton.  Unless the Bills were to be the first team to have simultaneous head coaches, that would have meant firing McDermott.

You somehow took that to apply to any notion of firing McDermott, for any coach, not just Payton.  Whatever I may think about that, it is not part of this thread, nor did I say that.  This thread is about Payton.

Also, you have now received your requested assistance with the search function.  

Prediction:  You’ll say something along the  lines of the link being an insufficient thread.  I’ll point put that there were more calls for Payton than what was in that thread.  You’ll call the help desk for search function assistance again……on second thought let’s just skip all that and you can take the L.

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

That isn't what he meant. He meant he hadn't want to call out general "naysayers" just specifically people arguing for Payton over McDermott. And there are examples of them in that thread. There were people specifically calling for Sean Payton, not tons, but some. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ummmmm no.

It WAS my intent to call out posters who wanted to hire Payton.  Unless the Bills were to be the first team to have simultaneous head coaches, that would have meant firing McDermott.

You somehow took that to apply to any notion of firing McDermott, for any coach, not just Payton.  Whatever I may think about that, it is not part of this thread, nor did I say that.  This thread is about Payton.

Also, you have now received your requested assistance with the search function.  

Prediction:  You’ll say something along the  lines of the link being an insufficient thread.  I’ll point put that there were more calls for Payton than what was in that thread.  You’ll call the help desk for search function assistance again……on second thought let’s just skip all that and you can take the L.

I've now given you four opportunities to link to that thread...I'm guessing we're just not going to see it.

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

You're right!

He looks exactly like he did last year!

Wilson was far from the main problem, last week or this week.

He played a fantastic first half yesterday. Payton had the running game working, Russ hit on a bunch of short timing passes, and that created an opportunity for a couple of really well thrown bombs.

Then the Broncs defense let Wash back in the game. And Payton weirdly abandoned the running game. As usual, he found other people to blame after the game including Wilson, suggesting that he didn't have the playbook down and should wear a wristband. Funny, because Wilson had to use a couple timeouts in the first half because Payton was late sending in substitutions and presumably the play.

It's weird. He has them playing better on offense than Hackett did all last year. They're depleted of receivers but the timing looks decent and Russ has actually been pretty good. But the defense allowed 300 yards passing to ... Sam Howell. And the week before they made the Raiders (exposed by us yesterday) look pretty functional too. It'll take the Broncos at least another year to become truly competitive (they are competitive now if you mean "lose one score games"), but I have a feeling Payton will start wearing out his welcome long before that. "Blowhard know it all" seems to fit the bill so far.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Remember that one?

Lol

I think its funny how you guys think in one draft and 2 games, that Payton is to have everything fixed. 

Now I ask you, Did you expect McD to have everything fixed by game 2 Tyrod Taylor?

Judge the man by his cover... but the book has yet to be written. 

I am not saying we should have gotten him or not.. I am just saying it is just as stupid to suggest that he will not fix things... 

Time will tell... 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That isn't what he meant. He meant he hadn't want to call out general "naysayers" just specifically people arguing for Payton over McDermott. And there are examples of them in that thread. There were people specifically calling for Sean Payton, not tons, but some. 

There have been dozens of threads calling for McDermott to be replaced.  It wouldn't surprise me if in one of those threads someone suggested hiring Sean Payton, but I certainly don't recall any Hire Payton groundswell on this board.  It's a straw man. 

I will say it for the millionth time. Brees and Payton cannot both be all time greats/HOF. Volume passing stats are not enough to enshrine both of them. 

If Payton was as good as some say, and Brees was great, why haven't they ever looked remotely similar to say Andy Reid and Mahomes? They're much closer to Reid/McNabb or McDaniels/Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

There have been dozens of threads calling for McDermott to be replaced.  It wouldn't surprise me if in one of those threads someone suggested hiring Sean Payton, but I certainly don't recall any Hire Payton groundswell on this board.  It's a straw man. 

Now that someone has helped you with the search function it’s not enough for you?  

1 minute ago, mannc said:

There was not a groundswell. That is fair. And I don't recall many, if any, of what I'd call the "serious posters" suggesting it. But in the meltdown that consumed the board the three weeks after the Bengals loss there were some of the fringe calling for it.  

I would much rather have McD...but...for all the SP hate...the Broncos lead the NFL points per drive.  They only had 6 drives against Raiders though.  Their issue is their defense, not something SP is known for.  But offensively, they lead the NFL in scoring per drive despite their top WR Jeudy missing week 1 too.  So he has made an impact already on the offensive side of the ball there in Denver.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I will say it for the millionth time. Brees and Payton cannot both be all time greats/HOF. Volume passing stats are not enough to enshrine both of them. 

If Payton was as good as some say, and Brees was great, why haven't they ever looked remotely similar to say Andy Reid and Mahomes? They're much closer to Reid/McNabb or McDaniels/Brady. 

I mean if Offensive Coordinators were enshrined in Canton (not arguing they should be) Josh McDaniels would likely get in. Dick LeBeau is in I think, and while he was a Head Coach he is in for his DC work, but not sure any other coordinators are in?

Personally I wouldn't put Sean Payton in the HoF. He wasn't a true game changing innovator and I don't think his record as a HC justifies it. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Payton was with NO for 15 years and had one of the most prolific and accomplished QBs in league history. He only made it to the NFC Championship game 3 times. You could argue he underperformed as a HC.

It's not even an argument. He missed the playoffs a few times too, with his QB throwing for 5,000 yards every year.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean if Offensive Coordinators were enshrined in Canton (not arguing they should be) Josh McDaniels would likely get in. Dick LeBeau is in I think, and while he was a Head Coach he is in for his DC work, but not sure any other coordinators are in?

Personally I wouldn't put Sean Payton in the HoF. He wasn't a true game changing innovator and I don't think his record as a HC justifies it. 

I don't disagree. McDaniels/Brady was the easiest "opposite" to Reid/McNabb I could think of. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.