Bills missed opportunity to ditch McD and sign genius Sean Payton

4merper4mer

7 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I still think McD is a trash can lol.

I would take any good offensive mind to be the coach of this team.

Realistically what coaches are you talking about?  Andy Reid sure I could see that…but who else?

taylor seems like a bum getting pretty good results out of an insanely stacked offense 

then you’ve got guys like sirianni,mccarthy,shanahan,mcdaniel.  

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Realistically what coaches are you talking about?  Andy Reid sure I could see that…but who else?

taylor seems like a bum getting pretty good results out of an insanely stacked offense 

The main one that comes to mind is Ben Johnson

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Well damn I have no idea. I dont get paid millions to comb through the NFL and NCAA to find a great offensive mind. 

Thats what GMs and their scouts are supposed to be doing right?

If I was getting that kinda money Im certain I would have found someone to replace McD after 13 seconds.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

23 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I still think McD is a trash can lol.

I would take any good offensive mind to be the coach of this team.

Yeah, because having a consistent top 5 offense is a horrible thing.

Give me an offensive guy that accomplishes the same thing and maybe let’s the defense slip.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

The main one that comes to mind is Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson makes creative run plays behind a top 3 O Line in football. I've yet to hear anything particularly good about his pass game. 

And of course he has never been a head coach and is a complete unknown in that regard.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

Ben Johnson makes creative run plays behind a top 3 O Line in football. I've yet to hear anything particularly good about his pass game. 

And of course he has never been a head coach and is a complete unknown in that regard.

But but but he saw him on TV.

Payton's most significant hurdle was (and remains) getting RW to perform at average to above average quarterbacking, with average receivers.  

Denver will be in a lot of shootouts this year because they have an *undisciplined* defense that plays out of control at key times.  Kareem Jackson is good, but he'll get kicked out of a lot of games this year if he keeps it up.   He rocked Meyers last week and went for the head of Logan Thomas yesterday.  His ejection (and the penalty) completely flipped that game to Washington.

28 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I think the better question is - would you rather have Daboll or McD as head coach?

McD.

You all act as if we wouldn't have a thousand fire Daboll threads after he almost had consecutive blowouts, least of all to the Cardinals. If it was any other team, the Giants aren't winning that game.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

Give me Daboll.

He probably would have had say in getting us more weapons and offensive lineman.

Yeah, because with all of his say in NY he's supporter Daniel Jones with...

Isaiah Hodgins, Parris Campbell, Jalen Hyatt, Darius Slayton and Sterling Shephard? Oh yeah, he added Matt Breida and Tommy Sweeney too!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Payton was with NO for 15 years and had one of the most prolific and accomplished QBs in league history. He only made it to the NFC Championship game 3 times. You could argue he underperformed as a HC.

However, Brees wasn't that when he went to the Saints.  You could argue Payton was partially responsible for that success.  

Also, the Saints Super Bowl win was as much about the game plan as the players out there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Yeah, because having a consistent top 5 offense is a horrible thing.

Give me an offensive guy that accomplishes the same thing and maybe let’s the defense slip.

The key to the league is scoring points, every time Josh Allen makes a coach look good, they will be hired away.  If you have the McVay, Payton, Reid, etc. the scheme stays the same and the O keeps rolling.  Having a defensive HC is a handicap.  I wish the Bills would figure it out.

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Payton was with NO for 15 years and had one of the most prolific and accomplished QBs in league history. He only made it to the NFC Championship game 3 times. You could argue he underperformed as a HC.

McD is on a worse pace, so we should keep him?

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

However, Brees wasn't that when he went to the Saints.  You could argue Payton was partially responsible for that success.  

Also, the Saints Super Bowl win was as much about the game plan as the players out there. 

That is absolutely false. Drew Brees was VERY good before he went to the Saints. Unless you think that 

11-4 3200 yards 27 TDs and 7 INT's in 2004 isn't successful. He quite literally received 5 OPOY award votes lol

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

That is absolutely false. Drew Brees was VERY good before he went to the Saints. Unless you think that 

11-4 3200 yards 27 TDs and 7 INT's in 2004 isn't successful. He quite literally received 5 OPOY award votes lol

He was good, but he wasn’t on the HoF track.

Payton is an interesting case study because 3 straight .500 seasons with a HoF QB putting up Star Wars numbers is as much as of a black eye as a coach can have with a superstar QB. 

BB has basically been a .500 coach WITHOUT Brady. 

McD would be on the chopping block if we went .500 3 straight years with Allen, and rightly so. Sean Payton wasn’t just Drew Brees’ coach, he was the man in charge of the organization. Their inept defense ultimately fell on his shoulders as well.

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He was good, but he wasn’t on the HoF track.

Payton is an interesting case study because 3 straight .500 seasons with a HoF QB putting up Star Wars numbers is as much as of a black eye as a coach can have with a superstar QB. 

BB has basically been a .500 coach WITHOUT Brady. 

McD would be on the chopping block if we went .500 3 straight years with Allen, and rightly so. Sean Payton wasn’t just Drew Brees’ coach, he was the man in charge of the organization. Their inept defense ultimately fell on his shoulders as well.

That fair but Payton was not someone who just "turned Brees around" he was a stud and a very good QB before NO... the only issue was the uncertainty of his shoulder prior to the surgery.

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Fair. Payton certainly gets credit for Brees being what he was. Let's just say elite Brees showed up around 2008, right? 

Since 2008, they had the 1 SB victory. Made it to the NFC Championship game 1 other time and missed the playoffs 4 times, 3 of which were in consecutive years with a Brees. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Remember that one?

Lol

Classic straw man argument.  Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about.  I remember no one saying that we need to ditch McDermott and go break the bank for Sean Payton.  At various times over the past year or so, the good faith, reasonable argument was put forth--based on the history that we are all familiar with--that McDermott is not the guy to get the Bills to the Super Bowl and that we should cut bait and hire a new HC with a solid background as an offensive coach.  You're trying to dunk on a bunch of imaginary TSW posters and it's actually kind of weird.    

Edited by mannc

41 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The key to the league is scoring points, every time Josh Allen makes a coach look good, they will be hired away.  If you have the McVay, Payton, Reid, etc. the scheme stays the same and the O keeps rolling.  Having a defensive HC is a handicap.  I wish the Bills would figure it out.

Or you just keep hiring from within and the overall philosophy of what you do on offense stays the same? 

41 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

McD is on a worse pace, so we should keep him?

Yes, we should. What a ridiculous question. 

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Classic straw man argument.  Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about.  I remember no one saying that we need to ditch McDermott and go break the bank for Sean Payton.  At various times over the past year or so, the good faith, reasonable argument was put forth--based on the history that we are all familiar with--that McDermott is not the guy to get the Bills to the Super Bowl and that we should cut bait and hire a new HC with a solid background as offensive coach.  You're trying to dunk on a bunch of imaginary TSW posters and it's actually kind of weird.    

Available at Walgreen’s:

image.jpeg.c8bc0eba98ae65f6a7bf5b4ae74c5a21.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Fair. Payton certainly gets credit for Brees being what he was. Let's just say elite Brees showed up around 2008, right? 

Since 2008, they had the 1 SB victory. Made it to the NFC Championship game 1 other time and missed the playoffs 4 times, 3 of which were in consecutive years with a Brees. 

I will say this, I can’t remember a team favored to win it all, and then get knocked out in the first round, more than the Payton led Saints. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.