The Josh Allen Positivity Thread

UKBillFan

We seem to be under a deluge of Josh Allen threads and none of them particularly positive, so thought to draw one up. He has the talent to recover from Monday and, to be honest, due to the interceptions and fumble it's easy to forget there was some patented Josh magic as well, plus signs he can "take what is given" as well.

This week he's been under negative scrutiny from all quarters - previous players, the media, us, possibly the coaches and team mates as well. But he has the skill to still take us all the way. After the dissection, let's get behind him and show some faith. It's a long season and a lot can and will happen from this point onwards.

Someone posted that Daboll sat down with Josh after a previous wobble and showed him some of the great plays he has made to restore his confidence. Maybe doing similar on here will help settle us down - so to start, here's some of his best plays from 2022...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He’s still the man, still the franchise, still the GOAT. There is no question.

Kid is in a rut, a bad one, but he will pull out of it. 

Dabs definitely had a  special father/mentor roll with Allen that is absent and missed. He and Dorsey may have a fine relationship, but I doubt it was as deep. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

We seem to be under a deluge of Josh Allen threads and none of them particularly positive, so thought to draw one up. He has the talent to recover from Monday and, to be honest, due to the interceptions and fumble it's easy to forget there was some patented Josh magic as well, plus signs he can "take what is given" as well.

This week he's been under negative scrutiny from all quarters - previous players, the media, us, possibly the coaches and team mates as well. But he has the skill to still take us all the way. After the dissection, let's get behind him and show some faith. It's a long season and a lot can and will happen from this point onwards.

Someone posted that Daboll sat down with Josh after a previous wobble and showed him some of the great plays he has made to restore his confidence. Maybe doing similar on here will help settle us down - so to start, here's some of his best plays from 2022...

Without a doubt he has the talent and skills to rebound very easily.  It's whether he will play the boring dink dunk as long as necessary to win game and let the deep routes become open as the defenses are gushed repeatedly.  If he won't play the boring method  then we might as well just flip a coin for a w or l each week and skip the game play altogether why risk injury to any of the dressed players.  That would be so fun right?   Got to wonder if the injury to his pal Aaron that's taking him out for the year and possibly ends in Aaron retiring after he grabs any of his guaranteed $$ makes Josh realize  he could be  back on the farm  in no time.   Course he has a nice bit of cash in bank to go play all the golf he wants do I get questioning if Josh is putting in the needed time to be at his football best.  If he is he's not doing a very good job  of it..

3 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Without a doubt he has the talent and skills to rebound very easily.  It's whether he will play the boring dink dunk as long as necessary to win game and let the deep routes become open as the defenses are gushed repeatedly.  If he won't play the boring method  then we might as well just flip a coin for a w or l each week and skip the game play altogether why risk injury to any of the dressed players.  That would be so fun right?   Got to wonder if the injury to his pal Aaron that's taking him out for the year and possibly ends in Aaron retiring after he grabs any of his guaranteed $$ makes Josh realize  he could be  back on the farm  in no time.   Course he has a nice bit of cash in bank to go play all the golf he wants do I get questioning if Josh is putting in the needed time to be at his football best.  If he is he's not doing a very good job  of it..

Well, the positivity lasted for long...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Dabs definitely had a  special father/mentor roll with Allen that is absent and missed. He and Dorsey may have a fine relationship, but I doubt it was as deep. 

He has no choice to pull out of his retirement it's that or he gets buried in the  hole as the sides cave in under the lack of foundation.   If he doesn't start playing the boring short game, even if the wow highlights are giving his wrs more of the attention than let him sit the bench  a game or 2.

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

he is the man... In Buffalo, He is the Franchise... In Buffalo...

But the GOAT, he is not there yet. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

From everything I've read & seen about last year's snow shenanigans, he seems like a cool neighbor. 😉

Josh is very likeable. He's always joking about  having fun.  All good but he isn't being paid  $$ to be liked  he's being paid to lead a team.  

If he refuses to play the dink dunk take what's given game  because it is no fun then I will have to get my enjoyment from seeing a spoiled child get kicked in the keester and get what his efforts deserve and that's not what I want from watching my hometown team 0lay every week.  I can enjoy a well played hard fought loss  more than this okay ifi make a few highlight plays people will overlook the garbage play.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I fully expect for him to bounce back, as soon as this week. There’s nothing more motivating to a professional athlete than naysayers and embarrassment on a national stage. I’d rather the Bills looked like crap early, an improving team in the middle of the season, and likely the best, most complete squad at the start of the playoffs. Does no good to peak early.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

We all know he can be an elite quarterback.  That game against the Chiefs in the playoffs was possibly the greatest performance by a Bills QB I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I fully expect for him to bounce back, as soon as this week. There’s nothing more motivating to a professional athlete than naysayers and embarrassment on a national stage. I’d rather the Bills looked like crap early, an improving team in the middle of the season, and likely the best, most complete squad at the start of the playoffs. Does no good to peak early.

Indeed I'm hoping they just wanted to get the media firmly off the Hype train because hype doesn't win you anything.  

I found his presser and straightforward and honest as he tends to be for these. Heavily insinuates he was too hyped up, and needs to remind himself pregame to stay in the right mindset. He said the gameplan was good (I agree) and he tried to do too much when he didn’t need too. Said there are times in the past when he would take shots and they work, and it’s a double edge sword. 

He’s a rocket arm gunslinger with ADHD lol

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I found his presser and straightforward and honest as he tends to be for these. Heavily insinuates he was too hyped up, and needs to remind himself pregame to stay in the right mindset. He said the gameplan was good (I agree) and he tried to do too much when he didn’t need too. Said there are times in the past when he would take shots and they work, and it’s a double edge sword. 

Not that I want to go down talking about Monday night on this thread (there are 5000 other threads on here for that) but I think he may need to talk to remind himself at half time as well to stay in the right mindset.

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yea it's like raising kids you give them direction and purpose but they have to accept that there are consequences to making the wrong decisions.  McDermott needs to be more of a disciplinarian to Josh.  I don't care if he doesn't like that it's currently very much needed to rein Sugar Josh  in.

Josh dropped a dud on MNF....no question.  He's a gunslinging turn over machine, but I actually like that.  Not that I prefer it, but it's a better alternative to JP Losman, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Corrall, Trent Edwards, Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Nate Peterman, Kyle Orton and Alex Van Pelt.  Better than playing scared and checking down on every single play.  

Someone was busting my bag today over JA's turnovers and I just said, "Talk to me when they are not winning their division and not dropping 13 wins a season." They had nothing to comeback at me with after that.

There's my anecdote for the day.

• Agree 1

After the Steelers opener in 2021 which was the 2nd fewest times Josh was blitzed, teams started to adjust how they played us on defense. I posted on this before. The aggression dialed back considerably and more teams played a style like NYJ or Pittsburgh during that time. In that stretch it included the Jacksonville debacle, the Titans loss, the Colts onslaught. It wasn't the best stretch for us or Josh but we still won enough to be in the mix. When it was all said and done prevailing thought was 2021 was our year with the conclusion being Allen's very best performance. It's hard to argue with that.

We are essentially facing a 100% identical situation to the start of 2021. Hell, even the score would have been identical had the Jets kicked the extra point. 

In my mind Josh needs to really get what needs to be done which makes me frustrated thinking how how didn't he prior? But still. This sport will humble you and a lot of people including myself require smack you on the head lessons to learn. The way he is being treated on a national stage after this game is a smack you on the head moment. In some ways it wouldn't be hard to argue that this game was a 100% requirement in order for us to actually get where we want to be. Sort of like a addict hitting rock bottom. Josh needed to fully bottom out to see this isn't the path if a Super Bowl is his goal. 

I have been critical most the offseason but would be the first to say he is the franchise. I will still hope for the change and likely still be critical if it doesn't happen. It's part of being a fan. But if you feel like it's hopeless, well, again, it was nearly an identical situation when we made our most competitive run. It is not hopeless. Heck, even if you think he will be doomed to a Brett Favre mindset, even Brett got one. We could be in a far worse situation at the position. 

28 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

he is the man... In Buffalo, He is the Franchise... In Buffalo...

I agree with this but he needs to get his head out of ass and focus on football.

He can't just wing it. D's are now used to his high velocity throws and react accordingly.

He needs to be more disciplined both on and off the field. His lack of film study is worrying. More study would mean that over time he will be quicked to recognize post snap what the D is doing.

Josh might have a problem seeing the field. It is said that Daboll (and Dorsey) use the shotgun because it helps Josh see the field. Again, more film study will pay dividends over time.

My 2 cents.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I am generally a positive person yes.  I'm also able to be a realist.  Josh is still gonna be the reason we win or lose but he has to let his teammates also be part of it. 

I am positive that hero ball is not the way u win long term and I am positive that constantly taking unnecessary hits will shorten Allen's career.  If he wants to retire to go play golf at an early age fine he is free to choose his life's path.  I fully understand why Andrew Luck walked away aftervthe constabt injury rehab cycle stole the joy of football from him that even more money  didn't matter.  Same for Aaron Rodgers I won't be surprised if he only makes a half hearted attempt to return. He doesn't really need to win another  sb unless it's something his ego needs.   Josh says he's more focused on football.  I don't see evidence he is focused on football if he isn't devouring film  and trying new things to add to his game.  He's just trying to recreate the plays he's  made his name on.  Kinda wonder if he's batching snaps to get another  Dallas Thanksgiving play where everyone gushed about u never see a qb doing that . If he needs to get hit a few times to get into a game fine let him have a designedvrun here and there in 1st quarter of a game to get  going, but thevrisk is he could get hurt and be lost for a few games as he recovers.  I know I'd be more comfortable with a more established backup, but if we are gonna lose a game anyway because abuse Josh is impatient then let's give Kyle a game to see how the team works within a dorsey gsmeplan. Brady got his shot when Bledsoe got hurt and never looked back.   Some young coach all qb could do the same to Josh if he won't work on his game.  I don't need Josh Allen to be the Bills QB, I want a capable player who will help the team win.  I ďobt care if he gets mvp  if he earns one great if not no issue from me.

I'm into positivity but I am also a realist. I don't really care what name is on the back of the uniform  of Bills players. I'm about the Bills  logo on the front.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Old Coot said:

I agree with this but he needs to get his head out of ass and focus on football.

He can't just wing it. D's are now used to his high velocity throws and react accordingly.

He needs to be more disciplined both on and off the field. His lack of film study is worrying. More study would mean that over time he will be quicked to recognize post snap what the D is doing.

Josh might have a problem seeing the field. It is said that Daboll (and Dorsey) use the shotgun because it helps Josh see the field. Again, more film study will pay dividends over time.

My 2 cents.

Don't most teams run mostly shotgun?

9 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

After the Steelers opener in 2021 which was the 2nd fewest times Josh was blitzed, teams started to adjust how they played us on defense. I posted on this before. The aggression dialed back considerably and more teams played a style like NYJ or Pittsburgh during that time. In that stretch it included the Jacksonville debacle, the Titans loss, the Colts onslaught. It wasn't the best stretch for us or Josh but we still won enough to be in the mix. When it was all said and done prevailing thought was 2021 was our year with the conclusion being Allen's very best performance. It's hard to argue with that.

We are essentially facing a 100% identical situation to the start of 2021. Hell, even the score would have been identical had the Jets kicked the extra point. 

In my mind Josh needs to really get what needs to be done which makes me frustrated thinking how how didn't he prior? But still. This sport will humble you and a lot of people including myself require smack you on the head lessons to learn. The way he is being treated on a national stage after this game is a smack you on the head moment. In some ways it wouldn't be hard to argue that this game was a 100% requirement in order for us to actually get where we want to be. Sort of like a addict hitting rock bottom. Josh needed to fully bottom out to see this isn't the path if a Super Bowl is his goal. 

I have been critical most the offseason but would be the first to say he is the franchise. I will still hope for the change and likely still be critical if it doesn't happen. It's part of being a fan. But if you feel like it's hopeless, well, again, it was nearly an identical situation when we made our most competitive run. It is not hopeless. Heck, even if you think he will be doomed to a Brett Favre mindset, even Brett got one. We could be in a far worse situation at the position. 

This sums up my feeling as well. We could be in a lot worse situation and at the end of the day, josh is capable of adjusting as you described he was able to that season and he will have to again. I just hope the coaching is there to back him up and get him on the right track as it was in 2021.

There are two teams that are 9.5 favorites this week. 
   Us and the Cowboys!

We will be fine. Teams take time to figure out who they are. The O and his line as well as backs and receivers are quite different from last year.

Throw in the too short preseason live reps and the beginning of the season is unsurprisingly sloppy for a lot of teams. 

People are critical of Allen because he had a bad game and has a few bad games in the most recent batch. But I dont think I have ready any serious calls to get rid of him. Its mainly stuff like he needs to play better and how is to make that happen or what is going on with him. Is it the coaches? Lack of weapons? Game plan. That is a lot different than a Tyrod debate of not sure if he is the guy. 

33 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Josh is very likeable. He's always joking about  having fun.  All good but he isn't being paid  $$ to be liked  he's being paid to lead a team.  

If he refuses to play the dink dunk take what's given game  because it is no fun then I will have to get my enjoyment from seeing a spoiled child get kicked in the keester and get what his efforts deserve and that's not what I want from watching my hometown team 0lay every week.  I can enjoy a well played hard fought loss  more than this okay ifi make a few highlight plays people will overlook the garbage play.

This is the kind of over the top garbage that irks me.  Most TD's in NFL history in first 5 years...several playoff passing records...17-3 TD:INT ration in the playoffs...passing stats in the playoffs that dwarf the overrated Burrow...leads the Bills to within EIGHT points of being undefeated last year despite terrible rash of injuries, including his own throwing elbow that most QB's would have missed 4-6 weeks for.  

He goes out and lays an egg.  I have seen elite QB's, the greatest of all time, throw more INT's in a game than him.  But now this one game and everyone is taking this steep negative view on him.  

Yes, he has the most turnovers since week 1 2022...you know who 2nd, 3rd and 4th are?  Mahomes, Dak, and Stafford which includes the last 2 QB's to win a SB.  And the turnover gets skewed with Allen because of the fumbles, but he isn't an interception machine like people like to use the total turnovers to suggest when comparing to other QB's.  And while fumbles are still turnovers, Josh makes plays with his legs that no other QB can make and changes games and gets wins.  

When you are a QB who takes chances, some of them are not going to work out.  And while he needs to reduce the turnovers, the sheer amount of points and offense he creates by playing with the crazy style he does brings a LOT more good to this team than bad.  For all the "Josh Allen Issues" last year, the Bills were EIGHT points away from being undefeated.  

Josh is still the man...I am still VERY concerned about Dorsey being the right OC, but I haven't lost faith of confidence in Josh.  I do think he really needs a big game for his confidence and psyche right now because we have a brutal stretch after thanksgiving where this offense needs to have its groove and swagger back by then.  

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Josh ain't dumb! He's already smart!

😉

More like yes he is smart but he is also being very foolish.  Class clowns generally are just that because they don't put in the required work to be anything other than that.  Likeable yes fun to be around yes but no one is  gonna want to follow them in any emergency situation that needs leadership.  I don't even care what the media thinks of Josh they can all think he's garbage but if he plays to his abilities then I'd he's wearing a Bills jersey then all he needs to do is be one of the guys on my team. That's all. Doesn't need to be the hero the mvp  any of that I don't need.

Edited by AuntieEm

54 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

We are a special group in that way.  😋

Let’s see what things look like next week. Josh is still The Man, he just needs to get his mojo back. I try to avoid overreactions and huge swings of emotion. The season is young. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I am generally a positive person yes.  I'm also able to be a realist.  Josh is still gonna be the reason we win or lose but he has to let his teammates also be part of it. 

I am positive that hero ball is not the way u win long term and I am positive that constantly taking unnecessary hits will shorten Allen's career.  If he wants to retire to go play golf at an early age fine he is free to choose his life's path.  I fully understand why Andrew Luck walked away aftervthe constabt injury rehab cycle stole the joy of football from him that even more money  didn't matter.  Same for Aaron Rodgers I won't be surprised if he only makes a half hearted attempt to return. He doesn't really need to win another  sb unless it's something his ego needs.   Josh says he's more focused on football.  I don't see evidence he is focused on football if he isn't devouring film  and trying new things to add to his game.  He's just trying to recreate the plays he's  made his name on.  Kinda wonder if he's batching snaps to get another  Dallas Thanksgiving play where everyone gushed about u never see a qb doing that . If he needs to get hit a few times to get into a game fine let him have a designedvrun here and there in 1st quarter of a game to get  going, but thevrisk is he could get hurt and be lost for a few games as he recovers.  I know I'd be more comfortable with a more established backup, but if we are gonna lose a game anyway because abuse Josh is impatient then let's give Kyle a game to see how the team works within a dorsey gsmeplan. Brady got his shot when Bledsoe got hurt and never looked back.   Some young coach all qb could do the same to Josh if he won't work on his game.  I don't need Josh Allen to be the Bills QB, I want a capable player who will help the team win.  I ďobt care if he gets mvp  if he earns one great if not no issue from me.

I'm into positivity but I am also a realist. I don't really care what name is on the back of the uniform  of Bills players. I'm about the Bills  logo on the front.

The answer is not to force Kyle in there. Even for one game. The goal is to force Josh to run the damn offense.  Take what teams give you. Then when defenses start adjusting off the deep safety coverage, Josh can strike & go deep. 

I’m glad we only get the Jets D on more time, and on our field. Like making a shot in basketball, it gives you more confidence that you can make the next one. Sometimes you just need a few layups or put backs to feel it. It doesn’t have to be 5 feet behind the arc. Get a rhythm. Gain confidence. 

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The answer is not to force Kyle in there. Even for one game. The goal is to force Josh to run the damn offense.  Take what teams give you. Then when defenses start adjusting off the deep safety coverage, Josh can strike & go deep. 

And I know Josh himself knows this because he is a smart guy. He just has to be less impulsive and be more self disciplined.  At 27  he isn't a kid, yet he hasn't fully shown a high degree if maturity.  Some of that is even evident in his breakup (no idea of any details so I don't get to speculating) with his longtime girlfriend.  I have to start wondering if there's some flaw in Josh that's just covered up behind his "Shucks I'm just an easy going guy."  I don't need to know what he does in his off time or in his private life.  Maybe he needs one of his siblings to move into his home in WNY to give him a solid foundation away from work because somethings not going well in his life and its bleeding over in his work with negative results.

Edited by AuntieEm

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Not enough Frank Sinatra...

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2022/12/how-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-made-nfl-history-in-win-over-bears.html?outputType=amp

Josh Allen completes it to Gabe Davis for a 19 yard touchdown pass.

That marks Allen's 172nd career touchdown, surpassing Dan Marino (171) for the most total touchdowns all-time in a player's first five seasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.