Jonathan Taylor... NOW!

The_Ripster

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

You can't discount or ignore his 83 yard run. 

I mean that's like saying Allen played pretty good if you don't take into account his 4 turnovers.

Who is discounting it...but facts are facts.  If not for one blown assignment, Hall didn't do a whole lot in that game and neither did any of the Jets RB's.  Point is, the rush D was pretty good had it not given up a big run on a blown assignment making me not very worried about our defense.  

If our defense holds a team to under 2 yards per carry for every running play during a game at the expense of giving up 3 points off one big run, I will take that 100% of the time.  

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who is discounting it...but facts are facts.  If not for one blown assignment, Hall didn't do a whole lot in that game and neither did any of the Jets RB's.  Point is, the rush D was pretty good had it not given up a big run on a blown assignment making me not very worried about our defense.  

If our defense holds a team to under 2 yards per carry for every running play during a game at the expense of giving up 3 points off one big run, I will take that 100% of the time.  

I get that but your logic is flawed. You can't excuse or minimize the 83 yard run. It gets included in the stats and it's a game changer and game killer. That lone run is bothersome and put a major dent in an otherwise good run D performance. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that but your logic is flawed. You can't excuse or minimize the 83 yard run. It gets included in the stats and it's a game changer and game killer. That lone run is bothersome and put a major dent in an otherwise good run D performance. 

I get it, giving up an 83 yard run is not something they want to do every game.  My only point is I am not going to come away concerned about a run D that mostly shut the Jets combo of Hall and Dalvin (easily one of the best 1-2 combos in the league) outside of one blown mistake on an assignment.  A blown assignment is fixable, I don't look at it much differently than a bad ill-timed penalty like a PI on a bomb that gave the offense a huge gain and FG.  

I would be more concerned if the Jets manhandled our front line and ran on us all night is really the only point from my end.  I mean our run D was actually quite good outside of a blown assignment mistake.  Now if those blown assignments go on to be say common or frequent each game, then we are back to having an issue.  But Monday, it was really just one play that made the rush defense stats look bad, outside of that the average per rush was like 2 yards per carry with two very good RB's coming at the Bills D.

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

We are going to miss Singletary. He had his limitations, but overall came closer to an all purpose back than anyone on the roster now.

I don't hate Cook. And I see why Beane did the Harris instead of Singletary thing. But right now there doesn't seem to be anyone Dorsey/McD trusts who can be the primary between the tackles RB. 

I predict Murray starts seeing major PT next week.

I think Cook is on a leash and it's getting shorter. No way they're loving the slow speed back thing he has going on. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:52 PM, Billschinatown said:

I just hate that Singletary was/is way better. Latavius Murray looked better in his limited game time IMO. 

You were saying? 

On 9/13/2023 at 8:44 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

We are going to miss Singletary. He had his limitations, but overall came closer to an all purpose back than anyone on the roster now.

I don't hate Cook. And I see why Beane did the Harris instead of Singletary thing. But right now there doesn't seem to be anyone Dorsey/McD trusts who can be the primary between the tackles RB. 

I predict Murray starts seeing major PT next week.

The amount of overreaction on this board after a loss is hilarious...

"we're going to miss singletary" HAHAHAHAHA 

Singletary this year: 7 carries 15 yards 2.1 YPC and 4 carries 14 yards...... 3.5 YPC... damn, that's some production we can REALLLLY use

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

You were saying? 

Singletary this year: 7 carries 15 yards 2.1 YPC and 4 carries 14 yards...... 3.5 YPC... damn, that's some production we can REALLLLY use

Singletary objectively would be the fourth best rb on this roster lol 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Singletary objectively would be the fourth best rb on this roster lol 

Like I was saying man, people and their obsession with RBs on this board never cease to amaze me. 

Couple that with a loss people can't even think straight. 

On 9/12/2023 at 7:01 PM, The_Ripster said:

1. They gotta get rid of Dorsey
2. They gotta go out and get the every-down offensive weapon they need

Thoughts?

Seeing that running game yesterday made me even want Taylor more. Imagine what we can do with an elite back? Maybe 300 yds I’m not even joking! 

Cook and crew can get it done vs your average team we still need a back that can do damage vs the top defenses. 

• Shocked 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

You were saying? 

More importantly, Zack Moss had his best day of his career behind the Colts and JT’s OL.

It’s almost like RB play is devalued in the NFL. No way

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Seeing that running game yesterday made me even want Taylor more. Imagine what we can do with an elite back? Maybe 300 yds I’m not even joking! 

Cook and crew can get it done vs your average team we still need a back that can do damage vs the top defenses. 

This has to be joke....... 

How many times do people need to see it to believe it? Few things:

1.) Cook is an every down back

2.) You don't pay RBs. No team has paid their starting RB more than 2M in the last 15 years. It doesn't work. You pay an OL

3.) JT had a great rookie year with the best OL in football. They regressed last year and so did he. He is also coming off of an injury

4.) JT is not an elite back.

5.) Stop chasing names because of 1 good year. 

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

More importantly, Zack Moss had his best day of his career behind the Colts and JT’s OL.

@NastyNateSoldiers please see this post to further my point.. it's not the RBs... it's the OL 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

You were saying? 

Hey, Cook played really well! Congrats to him.

As for Singletary: have you looked at the Texans' run game this year? 2.5 YPC thru 2 games. Ouch.

I stand by my comment that Cook is best positioned to be something other than the lead RB. And I think that's where we're headed anyway, with a RB by Committee. He's more CJ Spiller than LeSean McCoy. I don't have the inclination to look carry-by-carry, but he strikes me as the guy who has a really good YPC (like, 5.0) because  a typical 10 carries go for 3, 1, 10, -1, 2, 16, 0, 4, 2, 23. 60 yards in 10 carries, but 6 of those carries were generally unproductive. That was Spiller's run profile - 6 yards per carry in his best year! That's a really valuable player, but it's not conducive to sustaining lengthy run-heavy drives when you want to do that. Sometimes you need a Fred Jackson or Singletary. Or maybe Harris/Murray can fill that role.

AND I LIKED CJ SPILLER! Not his fault he was drafted too high and then misused/wore out as soon as Hackett threatened to run him till he pukes.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, warrior9 said:

2.) You don't pay RBs. No team has paid their starting RB more than 2M in the last 15 years. It doesn't work. You pay an OL

3.) JT had a great rookie year with the best OL in football. They regressed last year and so did he. He is also coming off of an injury

@NastyNateSoldiers please see this post to further my point.. it's not the RBs... it's the OL 

If a young Jim Brown or OJ was available, I'd sign them for $2MM+++.  Backs like that get first downs and keep drives going.  JT isn't in their league.  No current RB is.  

But I get what you're saying about OLs.  If you have a good OL, you'll not only get yards on the ground even with an average back, but you'll also keep your QB upright and healthy.  

I'm reasonably happy with our backfield - I think they'll provide a lot of bang for the buck.  I just wish we had a better OL.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, warrior9 said:

You were saying? 

Lol not me being punished by *checks notes* a really great bills victory.

Please stop! I can’t take anymore! 

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/12/2023 at 12:28 PM, DrPJax said:

True ,  but you have to break tackles at some point ( see whites two arm tackles being broken leading to impressive chunk runs) , and cook is no THURMAN THOMAS,, lol,,,guy is pretty light in the pants and while he can get around pursuit, he is not snapping off big runs and there were times some larger gains were in front of him if he had more balance and power. Better than last year but still quick to be stopped short of first downs. Murray looked good . Lewis looked  ok so far. Line cant always hold holes open for long. 

Then you keep improving your oline until it opens holes that any player can run through without difficulty.  You get the oline beefed up you don't even need top of the line weapons though doesn't hurt to have those as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

How’s that “big name” RB signing for the Jets looking. 

lol they never learn, they juuuuuust did this or probably an even worse version of it by signing a plow horse back, with high mileage

Jonathan Taylor is a bit of a diff situation than those two, IMO. Maybe they can sign him in about 5years to a hefty deal? lollllll

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

I havent seen it, maybe the light finally went on. honestly thought he worked his butt off and never panned out, wish dude nothing but success

23 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Moss is trash playing against trash u can’t use him as example! JT is definitely an elite back btw his  power speed and contact balance are all elite traits and he’s on the top when it comes to those measurements. Last season he started slow but he started tearing it up for a few weeks right before he got injured.  Taylor In our backfield would terrorize defenses it wouldn’t be fair . Last but not least Cook is no 3 down bk and he’s definitely not a featured back don’t let 1 game cloud your brain. He’s too small doesn’t run with balance and power he needs everything around him to be perfect to play well. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Moss is trash playing against trash u can’t use him as example! JT is definitely an elite back btw his  power speed and contact balance are all elite traits and he’s on the top when it comes to those measurements. Last season he started slow but he started tearing it up for a few weeks right before he got injured.  Taylor In our backfield would terrorize defenses it wouldn’t be fair . Last but not least Cook is no 3 down bk and he’s definitely not a featured back don’t let 1 game cloud your brain. He’s too small doesn’t run with balance and power he needs everything around him to be perfect to play well. 

Well it's not one game. He was great at the end of last year and was very good in the Jets game.

Again, you don't win in this league by paying RBs. it's the offensive line. If you win by paying RBs, why do none of the highest paid RBs have a SB ring? Not a single one. 

AP, LT, Derrick Henry, Le'Veon Bell, McCaffery, Zeke (when he was with Cowboys), Chubb, etc etc etc .... 

• Agree 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:00 AM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Taylor is great. He'd make the team a bit better.

Not nearly enough better to make up for what we'd have to give up to get him.

Assume he averages 5.3 YPC, two-tenths of a yard better than his career average. That's less than a yard a carry better than we're getting from our RBs now and last year. Say he gets 250 carries. 

That would be a bit over 200 extra yards over the course of the year.

Not even close to worth what we'd have to give up.

As Warrior9 pointed out in the post just above this one, how many great, highly-paid bell-cow RBs have SB rings? It's been .

It's a misallocation of resources.

If we were going to bring in a really good player by trading away major draft resources and spending salary cap money we can't afford and stay in good cap shape ... for God's sake, make it an RT. Or another excellent young pass rusher.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Well it's not one game. He was great at the end of last year and was very good in the Jets game.

Again, you don't win in this league by paying RBs. it's the offensive line. If you win by paying RBs, why do none of the highest paid RBs have a SB ring? Not a single one. 

AP, LT, Derrick Henry, Le'Veon Bell, McCaffery, Zeke (when he was with Cowboys), Chubb, etc etc etc .... 

Just because your paying RB more money doesn’t mean his salary is keeping a team from winning championships. The same can be said about other positions as well and vis versa . The Browns pay a lot of money for there Oline why haven’t they won a title? The Bills are 1 of the highest salary teams for Dline in the league where’s there rings?

Some teams pay for different position group it’s not indicative any way towards championships . I love how people nit pick what they want in these discussions without really breaking it down. It’s even been said if u pay a QB u can’t win a title up until recently when Mahomes did it but even his salary was lower then other QBs . The baseline is wasted money is wasted money what really matters is difference makers how many u have on your team and it doesn’t really matter other then QB what positions they play. So when u have a chance to add a difference maker u do it the money is not the issue salary caps are not concrete they can be manipulated 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Taylor is great. He'd make the team a bit better.

Not nearly enough better to make up for what we'd have to give up to get him.

Assume he averages 5.3 YPC, two-tenths of a yard better than his career average. That's less than a yard a carry better than we're getting from our RBs now and last year. Say he gets 250 carries. 

That would be a bit over 200 extra yards over the course of the year.

Not even close to worth what we'd have to give up.

As Warrior9 pointed out in the post just above this one, how many great, highly-paid bell-cow RBs have SB rings? It's been .

It's a misallocation of resources.

If we were going to bring in a really good player by trading away major draft resources and spending salary cap money we can't afford and stay in good cap shape ... for God's sake, make it an RT. Or another excellent young pass rusher.

How do u know he’ll average 5.3 yds per carry maybe he’ll average over 6yds. There’s some TEs in this league that average more yds per catch then Travis Kelce does that mean there better ? Gabe Davis averages more yds per catch then nearly every Wr in the NFL does that make him better?

At the end of the day Who scares u ? That’s the question defensive coordinators are asking that’s what keeps defensive coordinators up all night and offensive cordinators as well when it comes to defensive players.  Stars make the world go round and it’s no different in sports . Obviously u have to have key role players to win in any game but the stars win the titles and celebrated for that. That’s why there’s a HoF in every sport. Having a RB that can break 3/4 tackles on his way to a 70yd TD keeps defensive coaches up all night .

I hope Cook proves me wrong but I don’t think DCs are doing much prep to stop him especially with his inability to threaten in between the tackles and punish a defense physically. Watching Cook run east and west in the snow last yr was all I needed to see to know he’s not the answer . If we want to win a Super Bowl at some point we’re gonna play in environments that dictate u need to run one ball especially playing in Buffalo. 

38 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Just because your paying RB more money doesn’t mean his salary is keeping a team from winning championships. The same can be said about other positions as well and vis versa . The Browns pay a lot of money for there Oline why haven’t they won a title? The Bills are 1 of the highest salary teams for Dline in the league where’s there rings?

Some teams pay for different position group it’s not indicative any way towards championships . I love how people nit pick what they want in these discussions without really breaking it down. It’s even been said if u pay a QB u can’t win a title up until recently when Mahomes did it but even his salary was lower then other QBs . The baseline is wasted money is wasted money what really matters is difference makers how many u have on your team and it doesn’t really matter other then QB what positions they play. So when u have a chance to add a difference maker u do it the money is not the issue salary caps are not concrete they can be manipulated 

Then why has no team who pays a starting RB over 2.5M won a superbowl in the last 20 years? Just a weird coincidence? 

Josh Taylor NOW !

To the Browns

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Having two power backs behind him will only help matters as they don’t have to put a huge workload on Cook. Also the power backs splitting time between them will only make them less prone to injury.

I love what they called Sunday.

Having 3 backs and giving them plays that suit their skill sets.

Pretty awesome

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cook will only get better as the year goes on. 

I seems like he’s been one arm tackle shy of breaking away a few times. It will happen eventually. I’d love some cheap scores that don’t require a 14 play drive.

I do like Cook, but I’m also VERY encouraged by what the run game looks like when he goes out. Our run game could become a real thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills need to learn to use the weapons they have before they add another to the arsenal that they already have .

That being said all this talk about RB's not being worth as much money as some other positions IMHO is a crock !! If you disagree just look at what McCafree has done for SF . I watched the Niners last week & McCafree is definitely worth every penny they are paying him & possibly more because i don't know what he makes .

I wanted the Bills to get McCafree i can only imagine what he could have added to this offense as long as he would be used correctly which is what the Bills need to do with the guys they have . Last week it looks as if they stay the course or plan they used it should be a really good season for the Bills offense !! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Exactly!! The Eagles had the best offensive line in football last season. They didn't win the SB. Add JT28 to this roster and see the Raiders game plan on a weekly basis. JT28 has the speed, contact balance and vision that will effect opposing teams defenses. He will make LBs and safeties have to respect him. The playaction game with Josh Allen's cannon of an arm would be UNSTOPPABLE!! I do like the 3 headed monster that the Bills are incorporating. Hopefully Ken Dorsey will stick to the script

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

I seems like he’s been one arm tackle shy of breaking away a few times. It will happen eventually. I’d love some cheap scores that don’t require a 14 play drive.

I do like Cook, but I’m also VERY encouraged by what the run game looks like when he goes out. Our run game could become a real thing. 

Why?? 14 play drives keeps our defense rested. Also keeps opposing offenses on the sidelines. If 14 play drives are the answer to winning a SB, then I'm all for them

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Then why has no team who pays a starting RB over 2.5M won a superbowl in the last 20 years? Just a weird coincidence? 

The same reason John Elway didn't win one until he got a RB. The same reason the Dolphins tried to get Marino one. Shanahan paid a King's ransom for CMC. He's considered the greatest offensive mind in football today. Think he knows the impact of having a great RB? 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why not a WR?  Davis does not cut it IMO. Use the remaining resources on a real weapon besides Diggs. 

Get a good WR before the trade deadline.  I still have hopes for M Evans, Tampa could easily lose four out of the next five and look to deal him after we play them (Philly, NO, Det, Atl, Buff).  Maybe D Adams if the Raiders tailspin.  Maybe C Kupp.  Getting an upgrade at WR2 does the most for elevating this offense.

The last time the NFL rushing leader won the Superbowl was Terell Davis and the Broncos in 1998. The last time that the NFL's rushing leader even played in the SB was 2005 (Shawn Alexander). I am willing to admit that there is a change underway in the NFL. It seems to me that Shannhan and McDaniel have cracked the code on how to win without being QB-dependent and if the Dolphins and 49ers play in the SB this year you may see a lot of teams try to load up on speed at the skill positions instead of chasing that elite quarterback. But to claim that the key to winning is a big power back getting the lion's share of touches? I would have to see that to believe that we are going back to the 80's

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The same reason John Elway didn't win one until he got a RB. The same reason the Dolphins tried to get Marino one. Shanahan paid a King's ransom for CMC. He's considered the greatest offensive mind in football today. Think he knows the impact of having a great RB? 

But Shanahan doesn't have an incredibly gifted QB that throws the best 25 yard lasers in all of football on his squad.  If he did, he might prioritize getting that QB a second top notch WR to use this unworldly talent.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

I think the Bills need to learn to use the weapons they have before they add another to the arsenal that they already have .

That being said all this talk about RB's not being worth as much money as some other positions IMHO is a crock !! If you disagree just look at what McCafree has done for SF . I watched the Niners last week & McCafree is definitely worth every penny they are paying him & possibly more because i don't know what he makes .

I wanted the Bills to get McCafree i can only imagine what he could have added to this offense as long as he would be used correctly which is what the Bills need to do with the guys they have . Last week it looks as if they stay the course or plan they used it should be a really good season for the Bills offense !! 

I think hes the one name you can make an exception on because of how many balls he catches ON TOP of the rush yards

27 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why?? 14 play drives keeps our defense rested. Also keeps opposing offenses on the sidelines. If 14 play drives are the answer to winning a SB, then I'm all for them

I think 14 play drives are AWESOME!!! I prefer them with a double digit lead, but ALL TD’s are good. A nice quickie once in a while works for me. Just sayin’.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.