We will never win anything with McD here

HomeskillitMoorman

13 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

It'll all come crashing down because Beane knows both schemes suck, and drafted to try and force scheme changes that mcd won't make. So we're back to Josh trying to put square pegs in round holes on O. And it's left us with the worst version of this outdated D we will see, smaller, older, slower

Its just speculation on my part but I've often felt that McD, a conservative, defensive minded coach, probably has an outsized influence on our drafts.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Its just speculation on my part but I've often felt that McD, a conservative, defensive minded coach, probably has an outsized influence on our drafts.

Drafting Elam and Kincaid, and just his hesitancy to use rookies over the years, says the opposite to me 

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Drafting Elam and Kincaid, and just his hesitancy to use rookies over the years, says the opposite to me 

What I found interesting about your post was the suggestion that McD and Beane maybe don't always exactly see eye to eye, which would mean that they are not on the same page as to the type of football team you want and are trying to be. I thought this might be evidenced by our drafts. Did Beane really think moving up in the third for Bernard was a good idea? Idk. If this is even partly a reason for what we are seeing the problem runs deep and is serious requiring some basic change of direction. 
I see McD's reluctance to use rookies as just another aspect of his deeply conservative approach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Wizard said:

We are officially the Chargers! Lots of talent, but somewhere we will trip all over ourselves and find ways to lose when it matters most.

Sean McDermott, the new Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer. Looks like he is here for the long haul to keep failing year after year. Can't wait to see that shiny new stadium half empty week after week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

What I found interesting about your post was the suggestion that McD and Beane maybe don't always exactly see eye to eye, which would mean that they are not on the same page as to the type of football team you want and are trying to be. I thought this might be evidenced by our drafts. Did Beane really think moving up in the third for Bernard was a good idea? Idk. If this is even partly a reason for what we are seeing the problem runs deep and is serious requiring some basic change of direction. 
I see McD's reluctance to use rookies as just another aspect of his deeply conservative approach.

They for sure don't see eye to eye. Elam is a press man corner, and 2 te is useless in shotgun. Square pegs, round holes

17 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

The lack of resources into the offense in general does point mcd though. They've been convinced Allen doesn't need anything but Diggs to make it. That hurts too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:13 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

My wife said something last night that really made sense to me. A simple statement made by a casual observer. 

"The don't look like they have fun like they used to."

That got me thinking. Back in the season we made the AFCCG, they had fun. Goofed around on the sidelines. Had personality and played without pressure of expectations.

Since then, it's been more business like. They feel the pressure and it's gotten to them. Play tighter and when things start to go downhill in a game they often collapse and make mistakes.

The 2 games now we have lost to the Jets with Wilson at QB, I see the same attitude of those earlier Bills teams. Playing with house money. Playing for each other with emotion and feeling the moment. 

I just don't think this staff has done a great job getting the players focused when being the hunted over the hunters. 

This is for sure. The team is way more tight (in a bad way) than they used to be. They might be boys off the field and everything's good...but things have changed on the field for sure. 

We really needed to make the change after 13 seconds. We'll have wasted 2 extra seasons by the time we get to the end here. We have to find a coach who can fix Josh and the fragile psyche of this group. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/11/2023 at 8:19 PM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This team is a mess and it's in decline. Undisciplined, weak-minded, and with no real idea on how to use their talent. 

The guy has got to go. 

Been saying that for 3 years.  McD is a nice little DC with his culture/process montra but on no planet is he leading this team to a championship.   Way too many in game mistakes. 

• Agree 3

On 9/11/2023 at 11:22 PM, peterpan said:

Allen is obviously regressing BAD.  It was evident last year with Daboll gone.  

allen obviously needs better coaching, and I believe that can only happen with an offense head coach who will be here for a long time.

Yah he absolutely SUCKS !! And they need to blow up the entire thing start all over from the ground up McD, Beane fire their asses, get someone in here that can make this a winning team ! Oh Wait they are a winning team & this is only 1 game ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=josh+allen+career+stats+in+NFL&rlz=1C5AVSZ_en___US800&oq=josh+allen+career+stats+in+NFL&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i390i650l4.11338j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

McD is 62- 35 in 6 seasons Yep the Bills just flat out suck ... How about we see what happens this season it's only the first game !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Be careful what you wish for. Wade Phillips was 29-19 plus 0-2 in the playoffs in his three years as HC in Buffalo. Ralph then fired him after the 2000 season. We had 16 more drought years. Didn't work out too well. He eventually went on to become a successful coach at Dallas, being 34-22 plus 1-2 in the playoffs.

If McD is fired, who is going to replace him that is better? McD will also have his pick of jobs if he wants. Teams will snap him up fast.

Edited by chongli
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, chongli said:

Be careful what you wish for. Wade Phillips was 29-19 plus 0-2 in the playoffs in his three years as HC in Buffalo. Ralph then fired him after the 2000 season. We had 16 more drought years. Didn't work out too good. He eventually went to become a successful coach at Dallas, being 34-22 plus 1-2 in the playoffs.

If McD is fired, who is going to replace him that is better? McD will also have his pick of jobs if he wants. Teams will snap him up fast.

A major part of what contributed to the drought years was the abysmal lack of talent at the qb position. I would absolutely make a play for Ben Johnson, the Lions' OC.  

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/12/2023 at 11:33 AM, Bubba Gump said:

Sean McDermott, the new Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer. Looks like he is here for the long haul to keep failing year after year. Can't wait to see that shiny new stadium half empty week after week. 

Marvin Lewis had one playoff win in a decade ... 

Andy Reid didn't win a SB for 20 years ... 

McDermott is 4x ahead of Lewis pace... besides being defensive coaches ..they aren't the same

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Andy Reid didn't win a SB for 20 years ... 

Yes, but by the same point in Reid’s career that McD is in now, he had made it to 4 conference championship games and a Super Bowl.

Personally, I would be a bit less concerned of  McDermott’s ability to be championship caliber if he had brought us to 4 conference championships and a Super Bowl by now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes, but by the same point in Reid’s career that McD is in now, he had made it to 4 conference championship games and a Super Bowl.

Personally, I would be a bit less concerned of  McDermott’s ability to be championship caliber if he had brought us to 4 conference championships and a Super Bowl by now.

Those are valid points.. 

My point is Andy Reid was always thought of as the coach who couldn't win the big one... Now that's a funny statement

McDermott certainly has to make noise this year..  but I don't think he's incapable of winning a super bowl

On 9/11/2023 at 11:29 PM, JaCrispy said:

Or JA….dude is all Braun and no brains…that’s not a winning combo in the NFL, especially at QB…

Agree w your critical but fair critiques about JA after this game and actually trend of games w increasing turnovers. Hard to get thru to a guy with a quarter billion dollars who has no consequences to be actually accountable. ( he is less replaceable than any other player and the entire staff or beane, i bet if  PEGULA was asked).  The only actual consequence for not changing is to take away his biggest passion/ desire, which is playing time. I don’t agree with the immature whiners and Karens around who are so fearful  he can’t  handle some criticism or discipline ; we all have to answer for quality if employed, licensed , etc, as a real life issue regarding pay, position, tenure etc.

IF he refuses to run the offense by ignoring wide open short throws , keeps throwing into double / triple coverage, he should be benched a bit until the cliche platitudes stop in favor of good decision making, and to be sure this staff stays employed. That won’t break him in BUFFALO , like the little fan boys worry about so much, especially not more so than continued losing or leading the league in turnovers imo. 

A little constructive criticism tho, if i may. When critiquing someone’s intelligence , it is always good to prove qualified to do so , and a muscle bound type person has BRAWN,,,,,as Braun is more a name like Hitler’s fiancée or i believe a company that makes things like electric razors etc !   Lol,,,i am just kidding with you and, again have felt your criticisms were fair. These little histrionic, panic driven posters stating to stop being critical of a grown man because it will run him out of town, make me think of gamers dwelling in their parents basement who never had to compete in college, work , or demanding professions.

I know in my profession being yelled at, belittled, etc was a right of passage and if one couldn’t handle that by striving to be better and not make the same mistake again, the chance of succeeding was little to none. God, this country and social media driven clout seekers are beyond soft.   Poor ,little multimillionaire , superstar athlete might be offended or have someone SAY ( not do, which is different) something HURTFUL,,,,awwwwww !!!!  Man, my grandfather, who was an immigrant coal miner, must be rolling in his grave. Mining coal, laying brick, etc, is HURTFUL ,,,,not having someone opine about you on the internet !  Sorry for the tangent, but having grown up with miners, steel workers etc in OHIO, and actually having done a little of that work /life , allows one to maintain a perspective about actual hard times or when to be thankful,,,,like getting 250 million dollars!  Lol ! 

Best wishes, and here’s hoping this offensive mess gets turned around or I can’t even imagine how the KARENS will deal with the criticism that will be coming should the BILLS lose this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I’ll be that guy here. I like McDermott. He completely changed this franchise. 17 years of embarrassment and this guy turned us into a perennial Super Bowl contender almost immediately. Forever in debt to him and appreciate to no end. The guy is an amazing coach 6 days a week. Getting us prepared and ready to play, love everything he does there………

On game days he is horrendous. Between inactives, personal misusage, clock management, challenges, overall game intelligence…he’s horrible. I almost wish we had a game situation consultant on the sideline to take something off this guys plate. Regardless I have no issue with McDermott staying and obviously I hope we win the Super Bowl and he gets a lifetime contract. Right, wrong or indifferent, If we fall short again this year, this guy is going to catch a ton of heat. It’s going to have to happen here soon or it’s going to fall on the HC. That’s just how it goes in the NFL. There is a guy in the college ranks that is ascending like a rocket…If it goes south here and it’s a total fallout, imagine the timing and opportunity here if the Bills hired “Coach Prime” as a replacement. I’m not here asking for it, I’m just taking liberties in imagining what that would look and feel like.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Disagree 1

On 9/11/2023 at 11:27 PM, Wizard said:

We are officially the Chargers! Lots of talent, but somewhere we will trip all over ourselves and find ways to lose when it matters most.

Nope the chargers have become the west coast bills, the bills as long as I have been a fan have always found

new and horrible ways to lose.

We all want to blame coaches because they are easy to fire and hire. We also love to blame the GM because it's a job that we think that we could do. No, the problem right now is in Josh Allen's head. You could argue that it's the job of coaches to get him in the right mindset but my immediate reaction post-game on Monday night was "The Bills will never win a SB with f-ing Josh Allen at QB." I've calmed down since that point, but I'm really worried that he's been figured out by NFL DCs and that he refuses to adapt. 

On 9/11/2023 at 11:31 PM, KeLLy1278 said:

Allen looks shot.  The decision making is laughable.  At one point in his career I thought he moved on from the rookie mistakes but he looked like. Green behind the ears rookie tonight AT BEST.  Absolutely dreadful.

He is getting beaten down.  But hey, "we have a winning culture" for as ill-defined as that is apart from simply wins in a division that's been crap to date.  

Here's the deal:

McDermott is a solid coach.  I don't think that is disputable.  He ended the Bills drought, and we've been a contender ever since.  Most Sundays, the team is well prepared, and the gameplans are good.  

If you don't want to settle for that, and have your sights on trying to get a "great" coach - I mean, who knows how long that might take, and if it would ever happen?  Great coaches are not common. They're the anomaly.  There are very few in the league right now.

I just don't think you can waste JA's prime trying to find someone better.  You might as easily end up with someone worse.

And a last thought:  Reid was viewed the same way as McD at one time, when he was in Philly..

On 9/11/2023 at 11:35 PM, jkeerie said:

This game is all on Josh.  He even said it in his presser.  "We lost because of me."

IDK, if you ask me, allowing a pair of RBs to rush for 160 yards on over 6 YPC, and allowing a nothing QB to post a very efficient outting, after having taken zero first-team reps in practice leading up to the game, in a balanced attack otherwise can't be attributed to Allen.  

7 teams beat the Jets last season by allowing 12 or fewer points, and none featured a defense ranked higher than ours. 

Yes, Allen's primarily why we lost, but potential plot-twist.  

Let's say that two of those INTs connect and we log 10 points, or even 14 from them. Fine, one is still an INT.  The conversation this week trends towards Super Bowl talk.  

Allen completed 70% of his passes against that D.  It wasn't a good game, but again, points to the reality in Buffalo under McD these days, that he can't coach us to wins against the better teams unless Allen plays lights out ball.  

Imagine how the game would've gone had Rodgers not gotten injured in the first series.  It would have been a lot worse.  

On 9/11/2023 at 11:39 PM, TurfToeJam said:

There is no way McD gets rid of Dorsey.  McD is a very loyal person.  Only chance is if pegulas fire McD which I doubt.

And there's a big part of the problem.  

McD won't get rid of anyone.  He's surrounded by his underachieving buddies from Carolina now, in spades.  

He also won't hire an OC that can get the most from Allen and get the job done.  Why not?  Because it would threaten his job.  

We're stuck until Pegs pulls the plug.  But he just unwisely gave them extensions in thinking about what, the welfare of the team, the Super Bowl, etc.?  No, in thinking about his largely taxpayer/fan funded new stadium.  

• Disagree 3

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

IDK, if you ask me, allowing a pair of RBs to rush for 160 yards on over 6 YPC, and allowing a nothing QB to post a very efficient outting, after having taken zero first-team reps in practice leading up to the game, in a balanced attack otherwise can't be attributed to Allen.  

7 teams beat the Jets last season by allowing 12 or fewer points, and none featured a defense ranked higher than ours. 

Yes, Allen's primarily why we lost, but potential plot-twist.  

Let's say that two of those INTs connect and we log 10 points, or even 14 from them. Fine, one is still an INT.  The conversation this week trends towards Super Bowl talk.  

Allen completed 70% of his passes against that D.  It wasn't a good game, but again, points to the reality in Buffalo under McD these days, that he can't coach us to wins against the better teams unless Allen plays lights out ball.  

Imagine how the game would've gone had Rodgers not gotten injured in the first series.  It would have been a lot worse.  

And there's a big part of the problem.  

McD won't get rid of anyone.  He's surrounded by his underachieving buddies from Carolina now, in spades.  

He also won't hire an OC that can get the most from Allen and get the job done.  Why not?  Because it would threaten his job.  

We're stuck until Pegs pulls the plug.  But he just unwisely gave them extensions in thinking about what, the welfare of the team, the Super Bowl, etc.?  No, in thinking about his largely taxpayer/fan funded new stadium.  

When you say McD won’t get rid of anyone, what do you mean? We have had several position coach changes under McD. He fired Rick Dennison. He fired Juan Castillo. Leslie Frazier wasn’t kept around. 

Do you think if the offense struggles or Josh struggles, Dorsey’s head isn’t on the block?

I think McD is a perfect fit as a coach in Buffalo. I'm probably a little biased as I am a defensive guy and more conservative. 

My thoughts/issue is, I think he puts too much trust in the OC to run the O. Personally,  I think he needs to grab Dorsey and Allen by the ears and tell them to stop with these long shots and low percentage plays. Use the short game and running game more. Set them up, play chess. The deep shots will come. Use your brains, not your QB heart. Reduce the number of 15+ passing yard plays from the wrist band and move them to the last page. Don't call them until I tell you to!!

The D played well and the O 🤑 all over themselves. Just pissed me off as I have a Jets fan that works in my office, from NY, that I had to deal with all week. Forgot how insufferable he could be.🤬.

Apologies,  I'm done now.  New week.Go Bills! 😁

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think McD is a perfect fit as a coach in Buffalo. I'm probably a little biased as I am a defensive guy and more conservative

Okay, so you're confessing to being a paranoid Republican.

My thoughts/issue is, I think he puts too much trust in the OC to run the O. Personally,  I think he needs to grab Dorsey and Allen by the ears and tell them to stop with these long shots and low percentage plays.

That is a strange fetish.

Use the short game and running game more. Set them up, play chess.

Are you related to Harty? Now you are appealing to midget nerds.

The deep shots will come. Use your brains, not your QB heart. Reduce the number of 15+ passing yard plays from the wrist band and move them to the last page. Don't call them until I tell you to!!

Drinking is a Buffalo tradition. Groupies are a problem. I see now that you are just working for the Hollywood actress.

The D played well and the O 🤑 all over themselves. Just pissed me off as I have a Jets fan that works in my office, from NY, that I had to deal with all week. Forgot how insufferable he could be.🤬.

That is very bad behavior. They really didn't like you having a Jets fan in the office. You should have told them he was from Vermont and see if it made a difference.

Apologies,  I'm done now.  New week.Go Bills! 😁

I know they say that confession is good for the soul, but sometimes its too much.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Okay, so you're confessing to being a paranoid Republican.

That is a strange fetish.

Are you related to Harty? Now you are appealing to midget nerds.

Drinking is a Buffalo tradition. Groupies are a problem. I see now that you are just working for the Hollywood actress.

That is very bad behavior. They really didn't like you having a Jets fan in the office. You should have told them he was from Vermont and see if it made a difference.

I know they say that confession is good for the soul, but sometimes its too much.

LMAO!!!

Not paranoid.😉

Better than feet.😅

I always root for the little guys.🫠

Lost me with the groupie and actress thing.🤔

Should have said NYC.😬

Never too much to cleanse the soul.🙏.

I said Go Bills!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.