The Josh Allen excuse thread…

Dopey

6 hours ago, cgg716 said:

He was definitely trash, but even that included 70 percent completions. His coaches are trash, scheme doesn't fit the personnel on offense. And we invest money and resources into the D every year, only to never be able to stop the run. Excuses? Maybe, but the organization is a dumpster fire. Look no further than Kincaid and Elam. Problems run WAY deeper than josh

I thought the d was pretty good honestly…they defended short fields all night and gave up 16 points.  I would’ve said great if they were playing a qb better than Wilson lol

what was wrong with Kincaid? He was open all night. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

The commercials are getting to his head. Notice the best football he ever played was before the commercials started

The revisionist history on this still puzzles me…I keep hearing ‘it was Daboll, it was the commercials’ yada yada but josh has had a few absolute stinkers like this every year his entire career. 

24 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I thought the d was pretty good honestly…they defended short fields all night and gave up 16 points.  I would’ve said great if they were playing a qb better than Wilson lol

The revisionist history on this still puzzles me…I keep hearing ‘it was Daboll, it was the commercials’ yada yada but josh has had a few absolute stinkers like this every year his entire career. 

It's more frequent now. You're telling me he hasn't been worse the last 2 years ever since he started to get more popular and star in commercials? He's getting a big head. He did literally next to nothing commercial wise or popularity wise in 2020 or 2021 which, ironically were his 2 best seasons

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's more frequent now. You're telling me he hasn't been worse the last 2 years ever since he started to get more popular and star in commercials? He's getting a big head. He did literally next to nothing commercial wise or popularity wise in 2020 or 2021 which, ironically were his 2 best seasons

Yes I am lol. If you gave him the 2020/2021 bills oline last year he is the mvp bad elbow and all and the bills have a chance at 17-0…it has nothing to do with commercials.

when you have disciplined linebackers that can plug up his rushing lanes and pressure him with 4 he’s gonna struggle…he always has.  the jets did both those things extremely well as did the bengals in the playoff game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yes I am lol. If you gave him the 2020/2021 bills oline last year he is the mvp bad elbow and all and the bills have a chance at 17-0…it has nothing to do with commercials.

when you have disciplined linebackers that can plug up his rushing lanes and pressure him with 4 he’s gonna struggle…he always has.  the jets did both those things extremely well as did the bengals in the playoff game 

The Bills had a good oline in 2020 and 2021?

As Allen said. 

same ***** different year. 

All this play within himself.

going to play smarter

going to take what defense gives him. 

all lip service. At the end of the day I am thinking now this is who he is. Never going to change. 

that game was there for the win. Dorsey called a good game players open Josh JUST REFUSES not remain patient 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

D got eaten alive on the ground, good pressure yes, but if that's what you give up against Wilson, just wait until a real qb is on the schedule.

Kincaid and Elam are examples of the disconnect between the FO and the coaches. 2 TE offense should help in pass blocking and the run game, with lots of play action and runs from under center, like Gronk/Hernandez way back when, that won't work out of shotgun. And elam is a press man corner, doesn't fit into this trash scheme either. Beane definitely knew these things, and drafted them hoping for change, and stubborn clappy didn't budge

12 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

D got eaten alive on the ground, good pressure yes, but if that's what you give up against Wilson, just wait until a real qb is on the schedule.

Kincaid and Elam are examples of the disconnect between the FO and the coaches. 2 TE offense should help in pass blocking and the run game, with lots of play action and runs from under center, like Gronk/Hernandez way back when, that won't work out of shotgun. And elam is a press man corner, doesn't fit into this trash scheme either. Beane definitely knew these things, and drafted them hoping for change, and stubborn clappy didn't budge

Maybe this is a philosophical thing that I differ in, but giving up yards in the middle of the field doesn’t matter a whole lot if you’re tightening things up on your side of the field.  Seemed to be the case last night.  

Kincaid looked good last night to me…he was open all night and on the field a ton.  55 snaps and 38 routes.  Not his fault joshs brain somehow disintegrated at halftime.

Gotta completely disagree with you on that one.  Wouldn’t disagree about elam though I’m assuming they thought he was coachable to be a scheme fit but it may not have worked out 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

10 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Maybe this is a philosophical thing that I differ in, but giving up yards in the middle of the field doesn’t matter a whole lot if you’re tightening things up on your side of the field.  Seemed to be the case last night.  

Kincaid looked good last night to me…he was open all night and on the field a ton.  55 snaps and 38 routes.  Not his fault joshs brain somehow disintegrated at halftime.

Gotta completely disagree with you on that one.  Wouldn’t disagree about elam though I’m assuming they thought he was coachable to be a scheme fit but it may not have worked out 

It'll all come crashing down because Beane knows both schemes suck, and drafted to try and force scheme changes that mcd won't make. So we're back to Josh trying to put square pegs in round holes on O. And it's left us with the worst version of this outdated D we will see, smaller, older, slower 

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

“Mediocre QB at best….”

Good lord some of these overreactions after a game.

Josh allen voted a top 10 player in this league by the players, but no you’re right…

Hes around the 17-22nd best QB in this league 🙄

Those are stupid statements, but Josh has proven time and again that when he is frustrated by 2 high safety or solid D, he has no discipline or the will to take what the D gives. He gets reckless -- thinks he can do it himself. Now he's picked up where he left off last year -- a turnover machine. He has no sense for situational football. 3rd and 2 with a TE open five yards away he rifles it way downfield into tight coverage. Just move the damn chains in a tight game Josh, but no. He goes into reckless mode. I can't hear his post game "I need to do a better job of protecting the ball" anymore. Be the Josh we saw last year against the Rams and stop the goddamn hero ball. DCs are taking away your favorite plays Josh and the downfield opportunities won't open back up until you discipline yourself with the short game. It's time to mature.

• Agree 1

We shouldn’t be surprised. Allen and the bills offense struggled against the Jets defense twice last year. The Jets defense is probably even better this year than they were last year. Absolutely not shocking at all that the offense and Allen were terrible last night.

The only silver lining is that the bills won’t play a better defense, than the Jets. Unfortunately, they have to play them one more time though.

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We shouldn’t be surprised. Allen and the bills offense struggled against the Jets defense twice last year. The Jets defense is probably even better this year than they were last year. Absolutely not shocking at all that the offense and Allen were terrible last night.

The only silver lining is that the bills won’t play a better defense, than the Jets. Unfortunately, they have to play them one more time though.

Dallas D better

Just now, Gary Marangi said:

Dallas D better

I don’t think so. They’re not as complete as the Jets. Plus factor in this Jets game was on the road Dallas D will be playing in Buffalo.

Jets D on the road is literally the toughest defense the bills will play this year. But Dallas is likely the third toughest.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don’t think so. They’re not as complete as the Jets. Plus factor in this Jets game was on the road Dallas D will be playing in Buffalo.

Jets D on the road is literally the toughest defense the bills will play this year. But Dallas is likely the third toughest.

We play the Jets again, the Pats twice, and the Eagles and the Cowboys. They need to solve this.

Just now, Believer said:

Biggest mistake Beane made with Allen was paying him a Super Bowl contract before he won an AFC title…

Biggest mistake Pegula made was paying Beane and McDermott before they won an AFC title…

There was never a doubt about locking Allen up long-term.  There still isn't.

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

The commercials are getting to his head. Notice the best football he ever played was before the commercials started

i think this is a factor here.

i remember the documentaries about the bears in 85 and how ditka went mad hollywood and it just blew the team up.  not saying allen is like that or that bad, but if you're profile goes from "he's a bust" to getting 8/9 figures for ads, you better not drop an ounce of effort form "the process". 

diggs was there to make josh who he is, so if he's loosing his gourd over that, i totally understand.

that whitlock narrative is gonna get hotter and hotter until josh shows improve.

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

We play the Jets again, the Pats twice, and the Eagles and the Cowboys. They need to solve this.

The thing is, you don’t really solve great defenses. What we needed last night was for Allen to only have one turnover and not four. That would’ve been the difference in the game likely.

or to convert another touchdown on one of our Redzone trips instead of settling for a field goal. Or having one extra field goal drive, would you likely would’ve occurred by cutting down the turnovers.

in other words, yes, the bills offense needs to be better but not by much.  it’s never going to look great or maybe even good against elite defenses. And that’s actually normal.

The Super Bowls where we have a top offense against a top defense are good examples of this. The defense almost always dictate a low-scoring game, and below average offensive performance.

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Worst game Allen probably has ever played including HS and college.

Can you see the hope in that sentence? Allen plays the worst game of his career and yet we still force OT against perhaps the best defense we will see all year, in their house in front of a sold out frenzied crowd on opening night? 

If it takes Allen playing his worst game for teams to beat us, I like our chances moving forward. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Can you see the hope in that sentence? Allen plays the worst game of his career and yet we still force OT against perhaps the best defense we will see all year, in their house in front of a sold out frenzied crowd on opening night? 

If it takes Allen playing his worst game for teams to beat us, I like our chances moving forward. 

It is a good point and WGR has pointed that out too.

It takes us sh****** our bed for them to beat us and it's only by one score.  We shoot ourselves in the foot.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

And for the other team to lose their HOF QB on the first series of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

And for the other team to lose their HOF QB on the first series of the game. 

Losing AR had nothing to do with Josh crapping the bed but we can speculate that we were able to keep it close only because Rodgers got hurt. But that argument is speculative at best and that speculation runs in both directions. 

It is really bad when every media outlet this morning is saying what Josh looked like in his post game interview      Sighhhhhhh........Huhhhhhh.  Same ***** different place, different day.  " I hurt our team, I cost our team tonight!!! "

The same crap different year.  The comments alone is the deal breaker for me.   That is a person that has not learned anything from his mistakes this past offseason and then some,  and is incapable of doing so right now.  He is reading from the same cue cards that he has used in the last two years.  Its complete garbage spewing out of his mouth at this point.  He is a 6 year Vet QB on a $258M contract.  He is not a rookie and he is not in college anymore.  His responses are not sincere anymore.  It's just the same lame old script.  He has shown no dedication to fix his underlying faults and that is also on his coaches too.  His lack of growth is squarely on him and his coaching.  You need to want to get better and do everything at your disposal to accomplish this.  I don't see it now 2 years in a row.

Josh is at this point a liability until he learns that the team comes first, the 1st down is more important than the long TD throw,  and that his bad decisions are no longer a laughing matter, he is losing games just with his mistakes alone now.  He is the reason this team is 0-1 right now.  

Like they said JA17 has the most turnovers by any quarterback that signed a multiyear deal in the last 6 years and it isn't even close.

No one is close to his TO total stats.  

It is a real big problem.  No one is laughing about this anymore on any media outlet, he is getting thrown under the bus because he deserves it.

Zach Wilson did more to not hurt his teams chances to win last night,  JA17 did the exact opposite he gave this game to the Jets  last night and he is making $258 Million on top of it. 

This is not what a true vet QB does.  No way in hell.

14 hours ago, zevo said:

There shouldn’t be excuses anymore. I’m tired of looking at his face on the sidelines. He was not good. This pattern has continued from last season. The play calling is putrid. It’s all of it. It’s week 1 and I’m tired of this team already. They are ***** exhausting. 

Well..........bye.

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Those are stupid statements, but Josh has proven time and again that when he is frustrated by 2 high safety or solid D, he has no discipline or the will to take what the D gives. He gets reckless -- thinks he can do it himself. Now he's picked up where he left off last year -- a turnover machine. He has no sense for situational football. 3rd and 2 with a TE open five yards away he rifles it way downfield into tight coverage. Just move the damn chains in a tight game Josh, but no. He goes into reckless mode. I can't hear his post game "I need to do a better job of protecting the ball" anymore. Be the Josh we saw last year against the Rams and stop the goddamn hero ball. DCs are taking away your favorite plays Josh and the downfield opportunities won't open back up until you discipline yourself with the short game. It's time to mature.

He certainly had the discipline and will on the 11 play scoring drive, the second 11 play scoring drive, the 9 play scoring drive, and then the next 9 play scoring drive. So he’s proved he can be patient and take what’s given, especially against a dominant defense that demands you have to be patient and take what’s given. 

The maddening thing about Allen is why he gets away from it and insists on playing hero ball. Wish we had the answer. 

Edited by K-9

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He certainly had the discipline and will on the 11 play scoring drive, the second 11 play scoring drive, the 9 play scoring drive, and then the next 9 play scoring drive. So he’s proved he can be patient and take what’s given, especially against a dominant defense that demands you have to be patient and take what’s given. 

The maddening thing about Allen is why he gets away from it and insists on playing hero ball. Wish we had the answer. 

I mean, isn't that the main issue? For a lot of people doing the right, hard, whatever thing is not that big of a deal. The big deal is doing the right, hard, whatever thing all the time. 

What puts Josh at risk of these breakdowns? If Josh stays within the playbook, he is less likely to make the wrong decision. If he deviates outside the playbook, he is depending on instincts and vision in a split second to never make mistakes. These moments are what give him greatness along with inconsistency. Josh needs to learn how to be great at reading defenses. Getting the ball out quickly and in rhythm. Being a normal QB. It is not any more complicated than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta say - I'm not a big fan of the concept of this thread.

Allen is likely to go down as the best QB in franchise history.  He was the "right Josh" from day 1, and has emerged as the clear best QB from that draft.  He has carried the team on his shoulders basically every season to this point, and pulled wins out on his own at times.  He leads this team to double-digit wins and playoff appearances every season.

I'd expect a thread like this for a Losman or Taylor or any one of the middlin' QB's we've had since Kelly.  Allen doesn't really deserve this for a terrible game 1 this year.  Would anyone here really want him NOT to be our QB?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.