2023 Bills Practice Squad Complete

ngbills

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I believe it's 6 weeks, and just to be clear the Bills haven't indicated an injury settlement with Barkley.

So the earliest Bills could resign Barkley would be injury settlement weeks + 6 weeks, 10 weeks in your example.

And they may not.  The injury settlement is to protect young players from being stashed and lose a year if playing time.  A vet may be happy to have a shorter season. They know the NFL is a grind and they aren't as young so they welcome the breaks.

Bills Practice squad signings reported as of 3:55 pm Eastern time:

Andy Isabella (WR) - v

Tyrell Shavers (WR)
Ty Johnson (RB)

Joel Wilson (TE)

Richard Gouraige (OL)

Christian Kirksey (LB) - v

Eli Ankou (DT) - v

Cameron Kilne (DE)

DJ Dale (DT)

Ja'Marcus Ingram (CB)

Kyron Brown (CB)

Room for 5 more guys, 3 more vets

v - veteran with more than 2 yrs on NFL roster, maximum of 6 per squad.  ? means I'm not sure if they count.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

What are the practice squad poaching rules? Like can Christian Kirksey get poached on us?Or are we given some time to get him up to speed?

I believe any ps player is basically a FA in that they can be offered a spot on a 53 man roster and they decide whether or not to take that opportunity.  A young player may think he's the next Hof talent at his position and want to prove it already.  Also pay difference may sway a younger player, butfinsl decision is players.  They could take offer and ask Bills to bump up ps pay if they want to stay a Bill but say they have some financial needs....

Edited by AuntieEm

Very impressed with Beanes magic again getting a solid OT (Ifedi) for depth and veteran LB (Kirksey) that can start sooner rather than later this late in the game. The PS is filling out real nice with a lot of the guys I wanted us to keep (shavers, Isabella, Ingram, Gourage, Ankou and Cline)…hoping we take a PS flyer on Duggan to sit and learn and eventually be Josh’s backup 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

I believe any ps player is basically a FA in that they can be offered a spot on a 53 man roster and they decide whether or not to take that opportunity.  A young player may think he's the next Hof talent at his position and want to prove it already.  Also pay difference may sway a younger player

You're correct.  There are no protections this season.  Any PS player is a free agent, and may be offered a contract on the 53 man roster by another team at any time.  After the contract is offered, the player may accept or decline.

The only time the player HAS to accept is if he's elevated to the 53 man roster and then waived.  I think each player still gets 3 free elevations where they automatically revert without waivers, and of course vet players aren't subject to waivers until after the trade deadline.

The pay differential is significant between PS and 53 man roster.

Practice squad players with less than 2 years get $16,000 per week; vets get $16-$20,600 per week.

Vet minimum for a rookie on the 53 man roster is $44,118 per week; vets >2 yrs get $63,529 per week.

11 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

What are the practice squad poaching rules? Like can Christian Kirksey get poached on us?Or are we given some time to get him up to speed?

He only gets poached if he wants to go. Yet gotta think be wants to be here as wouldn't have signed to begin with.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He only gets poached if he wants to go. Yet gotta think be wants to be here as wouldn't have signed to begin with.

Which ì think is why he posts his priority is winning so that alerts bottom feeding teams not to bother with sending his a gent any offers.  He is after a chance to win a ring and the Financials is secondary to him at this point.

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

Which ì think is why he posts his priority is winning so that alerts bottom feeding teams not to bother with sending his a gent any offers.  He is after a chance to win a ring and the Financials is secondary to him at this point.

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You're correct.  There are no protections this season.  Any PS player is a free agent, and may be offered a contract on the 53 man roster by another team at any time.  After the contract is offered, the player may accept or decline.

The only time the player HAS to accept is if he's elevated to the 53 man roster and then waived.  I think each player still gets 3 free elevations where they automatically revert without waivers, and of course vet players aren't subject to waivers until after the trade deadline.

Practice squad players with less than 2 years get $16,000 per week; vets get $16-$20,600 per week.

Vet minimum for a rookie on the 53 man roster is $44,118 per week; vets >2 yrs get $63,529 per week.

Yet even after trade deadline if a vet was claimed on waivers if he truly doesn't want to play for that claiming team he could just not even put in any effort to play if they try force issue.

43 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Reading between the lines you have a new HC and he wants "his guys" and the hamstring didn't help his case any.  But hey who cares, he is a Bill now!

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Unless the rule has changed in 2023, which I have not heard that it has, during the regular season, teams can protect  up to 4 players each week from other teams "poaching" them from the practice squad.

I hate to add a link from draftkings but here is one which does state that the rule I listed still applies this year:

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/nfl/23851497/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-size-roster-cuts-covid-19-coronavirus-nflpa-nfl-cba

Edited by richNjoisy

• ngbills changed the title to 2023 Bills Practice Squad Complete

Holy crap!

I think we might have the best roster in the NFL when you combine roster and practice squad!

I can't believe we pulled Ingram back to the PS.  That along with Isabella, Kirksey and Ankou as our vet PS players along with all the young potential we pulled in like Ateman, Shavers and Kline and I'm stoked!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

WR Andy Isabella

WR Tyrell Shavers

WR Marcell Ateman

WR Bryan Thompson

TE Joel Wilson

OL Richard Gouraige

OL Kevin Jarvis

OL Greg Mancz

RB Ty Johnson

LB Christian Kirksey

DB Ja'Marcus Ingram

DB Kyron Brown

DE Kameron Cline

DT DJ Dale

DT Eli Ankou

DT Kendal Vickers

Bold is confirmed by team

F4zh6XOW4AEfj8J.thumb.jpg.e4edbfd2f025382959012074da9a686b.jpg

So Kirksey and Dale not confirmed by Bills, and only 14 names listed above

But Shorter and Spector to IR, re-signing Reid Ferguson and signing Germain Ifedi now confirmed.

It's interesting, they've got a couple of names on there I didnt hear much about - Brown, Jarvis, Thompson, Vickers.  Anyone got info?

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

F4zh6XOW4AEfj8J.thumb.jpg.e4edbfd2f025382959012074da9a686b.jpg

So Kirksey and Dale not confirmed by Bills, and only 14 names listed above

But Shorter and Spector to IR, re-signing Reid Ferguson and signing Germain Ifedi now confirmed.

It's interesting, they've got a couple of names on there I didnt hear much about - Brown, Jarvis, Thompson, Vickers.  Anyone got info?

So no QB on practice squad this year?. I dont think thats very wise... should have someone in the system that knows the playbook incase of injury.

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don't think that there are any more spots on the PS or the 53.

Beane mentioned they are working on signing a QB.  Kirksey needs to take his physical, that will put 15 on the PS with one vacancy.  16 total.

7 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Beane said in his presser that they will have a qb finalized tomorrow. So someone from the PS will likely be let go

That's actually a little weird.  Teams usually don't sign guys to the PS only to cut them a day or two later.  BUT, the Bills have only officially announced 14 PS members.

7 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Beane mentioned they are working on signing a QB.  Kirksey needs to take his physical, that will put 15 on the PS with one vacancy.  16 total.

So who is the reported PS member who isn't legit on there - is it DJ Dale?

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Really shocked Evans didn't make it.

A surprise to me, too.  Also AJ Klein.

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's actually a little weird.  Teams usually don't sign guys to the PS only to cut them a day or two later.  BUT, the Bills have only officially announced 14 PS members.

So who is the reported PS member who isn't legit on there - is it DJ Dale?

A surprise to me, too.  Also AJ Klein.

Yes.  It must have been a reporting error.  We signed Vickers to the PS not DJ Dale.  Both are DTs.  I was surprised when I saw Dales over Vickers.  Vickers had a better camp from what I understand.  So...we officially have 14 on the PS with 2 vacancies.  One for Kirksey and the other for the QB.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Out of curiosity, do you know if practice squad players salaries, count against the cap?

53 Man Roster

QB: Josh Allen, Kyle Allen (2)

RB: James Cook, Latavius Murray, Damien Harris, Reggie Gilliam (FB) (4)

WR: Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Trent Sherfield, Deonte Harty, Khalil Shakir (5)

TE: Dawson Knox, Dalton Kincaid, Quintin Morris (3)

OL: Dion Dawkins, Connor McGovern, Mitch Morse, O’Cyrus Torrence, Spencer Brown, Ryan Bates, David Edwards, Ryan Van Demark, Alec Anderson, Germain Ifedi (10)

EDGE: Leonard Floyd, Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Shaq Lawson, Kingsley Jonathan (5)

DT: Ed Oliver, DaQuan Jones, Tim Settle, Poona Ford, Jordan Phillips (5)

LB: Matt Milano, Tyrel Dodson, Terrel Bernard, Dorian Williams, Tyler Matakevich (5)

CB: Tre’Davious White, Dane Jackson, Taron Johnson, Christian Benford, Kaiir Elam, Siran Neal (6)

S: Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Taylor Rapp, Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis (5)

SPEC: Tyler Bass, Sam Martin; Red Ferguson (3)

IR: Von Miller (PUP), Nyheim Hines (NFI), Justin Shorter, Baylon Spector, Matt Barkley, Zach Davidson, Tommy Doyle

PS: Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shaver, Marcell Ateman, Bryan Thompson, Joel Wilson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Greg Mancz, Ty Johnson, Christian Kirksey, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown, Kameron Cline, Eli Ankou, Kendal Vickers (15)

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Out of curiosity, do you know if practice squad players salaries, count against the cap?

Yes.  The Bills have to be under the cap for 53 man roster, practice squad, and I believe IR counts too. 

Edit:  this explains salary cap pretty well

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

Do all player count against their team’s Salary Cap?

Yes, once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap.  The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL’s exempt lists.

FWIW, players on injured reserve may or may not count their full salary, depending upon how their contract is written.  This is called a "split contract" and one source says about 40% of current NFL players have a split.  Explanation here:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/5/30/23742416/explaining-how-the-nfl-works-part-5-minimum-salaries-injured-reserve-down-salaries-steelers

Minimum “down” contracts

For many NFL players, it is in their contract where they have a “split salary” which comes into play if they are placed on IR. Unless there is a provision where the player receives their full pay, something often included in contracts for higher draft picks and salaries significantly above the league minimum, a player is not paid at a full rate while on IR. This is also considered their “down” salary. For 2023, the “down” salaries are as follows:

0: $450,000
1: $475,000
2: $500,000
3: $525,000
4-6: $550,000
7+: $600,000

A "down" salary of $450,000 for a rookie translates to $25,000/week vs. $41,667/week at rookie minimum

Likewise for year 1, it's $26,389/week vs. $48,333/week.

The team is not obligated to play salary to players on the NFI list, but may choose to do so.

Edited by Beck Water

So we are about §1M under the cap with 53 man roster right now, and it means we are about $4.5M over once Ferguson, Ifedi and PS players are accounted for.

Since we also need soom room when season starts, I'd say we need to clear $6-7M within next week.

Beane has some work to do :)

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

53 Man Roster

OL: Dion Dawkins, Connor McGovern, Mitch Morse, O’Cyrus Torrence, Spencer Brown, Ryan Bates, David Edwards, Ryan Van Demark, Alec Anderson, Germain Ifedi (10)

EDGE: Leonard Floyd, Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Shaq Lawson, Kingsley Jonathan (5)

LB: Matt Milano, Tyrel Dodson, Terrel Bernard, Dorian Williams, Tyler Matakevich (5)

CB: Tre’Davious White, Dane Jackson, Taron Johnson, Christian Benford, Kaiir Elam, Siran Neal (6)

IR: Von Miller (PUP), Nyheim Hines (NFI), Justin Shorter, Baylon Spector, Matt Barkley, Zach Davidson, Tommy Doyle

PS: Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shaver, Marcell Ateman, Bryan Thompson, Joel Wilson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Greg Mancz, Ty Johnson, Christian Kirksey, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown, Kameron Cline, DJ Dale, Eli Ankou, Kendal Vickers (16)

DJ Dale was not on the confirmed Bills list.  I think he was reported in error.

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

53 Man Roster

PS: Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shaver, Marcell Ateman, Bryan Thompson, Joel Wilson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Greg Mancz, Ty Johnson, Christian Kirksey, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown, Kameron Cline, DJ Dale, Eli Ankou, Kendal Vickers (16)

On the practice squad, Kirksey and DJ Dale have not been confirmed by the Bills

F4zjE4JWYAAeW6p.thumb.jpg.40f605150d46c1e7f1f91f299c133a0e.jpg

Also, I don't know if this is petty or what, but we have 24 offensive players and 26 defensive players.  I think the Bills deferred making decisions at DB, and maybe at LB, into the first 4 weeks of the regular season.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Yes.  The Bills have to be under the cap for 53 man roster, practice squad, and I believe IR counts too. 

Sportrac has us $2.5M under. Does not look 100% updated yet, but close. Sucks to see Doyle, Barkley, Davidson cost us over $2M. Hines is another $3.5M. Add in Saffold, Howard, Quess its another $3.6M...thats like $10M. 

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

DJ Dale was not on the confirmed Bills list.  I think he was reported in error.

Dale was reported by NFLDraftDiamonds, which is small-school scout Damond Talbot's account.

Talbot later walked it back:

For what it's worth.  Talbot knows many of these guys, but what was actually offered or just put out as "we'd like to have you depending on how things fall", who knows?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

• ngbills changed the title to 2023 Bills Practice Squad - 1 Spot Left
2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not entirely ginned up on the PS rules (actually I try but they give me a headache).

However, the Bills placed Barkley on season-ending IR yesterday.

They can release him with an injury settlement, but then they are barred from signing him for 6 weeks AFTER the # of weeks in the injury settlement.  PRETTY SURE that includes a signing to the PS

Yea I'd missed Barkley going on IR.

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Think id rather have Jace Sternberger on the PS. But this Wilson kid must have shown the coaches a little something this offseason.

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Think id rather have Jace Sternberger on the PS. But this Wilson kid must have shown the coaches a little something this offseason.

Sternberger was a turd trying to catch anything. No thanks on that idea. 

I just looked at the final practice squad for the first time today and I'm shocked to see AJ Klein isn't there. Unless I'm missing it? He was taking 1st team reps for us just two weeks ago, and now just like that he is completely gone. I thought for sure they would keep him on the PS if for nothing else than an emergency option that knows the system.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I just looked at the final practice squad for the first time today and I'm shocked to see AJ Klein isn't there. Unless I'm missing it? He was taking 1st team reps for us just two weeks ago, and now just like that he is completely gone. I thought for sure they would keep him on the PS if for nothing else than an emergency option that knows the system.

Agree.  I was expecting the same.

Will see how they handle Kirksey. But wouldnt surprise me if he's signed to the 53, after week 1 (saving on guaranteed $s/cap).  

At whatever point Kirksey is promoted to the 53, be interesting what their corresponding roster move is.  I'd predict Dodson is let go, and maybe then Klein is brought back to the P/S.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.